Author Topic: 10 Nov 2018 Albion 4 Leeds United 1  (Read 56161 times)

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #200 on: November 10, 2018, 07:45:53 PM »
Crazy that we won 4-1 v Leeds and lost 1-4 v Derby when there wasn’t much difference between the sides in both matches.  We took our chances and that was crucial.
That's this league, I will go record now stating every single club in the top 6 at the end of the season ...will have been done by at least 4 goals at some point
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #201 on: November 10, 2018, 07:47:12 PM »
Best team performance of the season by an absolute distance. Even at half time I was more pleased with that than anything else I’ve seen this season. Even if we had gone on to lose I’d have far more trust in that long term than what we have served so far.

Far better shape and looked much tighter at the back, although still room for improvement. Phillips MOTM, Rodriquez best game of the season, hegazi looked a good defender again,  even HRK did well. With the quality in that side if we are decent in defence you can afford one or two having a quieter game, as there’s 4/5 possible game changers

Hopefully that puts to bed questions about the quality of our squad. Let’s not forget Leeds were top and we took them apart. Still have big doubt about Darren at the helm, but credit to him for changing the system.

Onwards and upwards... hopefully

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #202 on: November 10, 2018, 07:47:28 PM »
Fantastic performance, great result, didn't even have our best 11 out.
All those calling for 4-3-3 bravo. Hegazii (motm) Dawson, Tosin and Gibbs all immense.
Barnes back to his best, even HRK had a good game, fair play to him.
Happy Baggie tonight, hope Darren gets the credit he deserves tonight, he changed in line with our thoughts and it paid off. Koudos to the big man.

MICKYMEL

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #203 on: November 10, 2018, 07:48:38 PM »
4-3-3

No Bartley

No brunt

Keep this please Darren
Whenever we are playing badly, just remember -
Paul Chrichton,Neil Parsley, Andy Mcdermott, Scott Darton, Winston White,Mark Angel, Fabian DeFreitas, Paul Williams......now, do you feel better?

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #204 on: November 10, 2018, 07:58:59 PM »
Much improved performance from last few games.
It's good to see that Moore changes the system and it pays off.
Put Philips in the midfield to add some pace there. The 2nd goal showed his qualities, great tackle followed by a great goal.
We play more directly than before ,the front players did well when we have chances to play counter-attack.
Not a fan of HRK but he deserves a credit today.
Also congratulation for Harper, made his debut in championship.
The defense looked slightly better, just need more concentration towards the end.
Hopefully this win would get us back on track. Good day for every Albion fan. :)
The PRIDE of midlands

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #205 on: November 10, 2018, 08:02:49 PM »
Change of shape and tactics worked for us as we were able to pick them off.
Best game Phillips and Barnes have had for quite a while. But the whole team looked up for the game from the start and we're unlucky not to be ahead at half time.

The only blemish was to switch off at the end and not get the clean sheet. Shame we didn't get Harper on a few minutes earlier.
O Albion we love you

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #206 on: November 10, 2018, 08:04:22 PM »
 Couldn’t watch the game. Who played where in the midfield and front three? Was it a 442 or 443?
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #207 on: November 10, 2018, 08:04:46 PM »
All round performance of the season

4 at the back looked more solid. cleared it when we needed to rather than trying to play out of defence and putting ourselves under pressure.

Playing 3 with Livermore Morrison and Phillips really worked, Phillips gave us the energy, Livermore sat and Morisson could pick out passes.

Special mention to HRK who most weeks get pelters but he was brilliant tonight

Very very happy Baggie tonight....well done Big Dave on making the required changes

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #208 on: November 10, 2018, 08:05:24 PM »
Couldn’t watch the game. Who played where in the midfield and front three? Was it a 442 or 443?

4-3-3

Phillips Livermore Morrison in a 3

really worked for me

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #209 on: November 10, 2018, 08:06:15 PM »
Just waiting to hear from a few😉

I will admit to not expecting that, brilliant turn out!!!!
MAGA!

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #210 on: November 10, 2018, 08:07:51 PM »
Change of formation worked wonders. My heart sank when i saw HRK starting but to be fair he had a great game. Made a very good side look ordinary.

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #211 on: November 10, 2018, 08:08:05 PM »
4-3-3

Phillips Livermore Morrison in a 3

really worked for me

Thanks. Who played on which side in the front 3? HRK down the middle?
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #212 on: November 10, 2018, 08:09:49 PM »
Really good performance today.  Agree with johnny that even at half time it was our best performance even if the goals hadn't followed.  With the quality we have up top we don't need to be stupid with the ball at the back and keep trying to play our way out.  I think we had like 30% possession today but 20 shots and it didn't feel like that low a possession stat because of how direct we were.

Good to see Gibbs back, that's helped.  HRK was great today as was all of the team.  Tosin in particular looked excellent and Phillips ran the game for us.

Would have been nice for a clean sheet, just switched off but I thought the keeper should have done better.  He didn't even dive - I just don't think he's that mobile.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #213 on: November 10, 2018, 08:10:21 PM »
Thanks. Who played on which side in the front 3? HRK down the middle?

J-Rod down the middle
HRK out wide right and Barnes wide left

although that was quite fluid with J-Rod drifting out wide at time

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #214 on: November 10, 2018, 08:13:42 PM »
Quiet on here.

Thought we were fantastic.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #215 on: November 10, 2018, 08:20:32 PM »
Quiet on here.

Thought we were fantastic.
Be honest mate, we all feared the worst but the Big Man got it right, hope everyone can be  just as big and admit he got it right.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #216 on: November 10, 2018, 08:26:01 PM »
I DID fear for the worst and had us down for 0-3 so glad to be made a fool  ;D Changes we all asked for on different threads were made. 4-3-3 but fluid with the midfielders often going past the front three to press, which worked brilliantly second half.  Potential weaknesses became threats; HRK very good all round, Tosin good at right back and a good target for goal kicks, Barnes as much a threat drifting in from wide as when he is playing a ten.  Basically the players just looked more comfortable playing a more traditional formation and direct style and thought Dawson in particular looked delighted to just get back to defending.  My concern was always how much threat we would have reverting to a more direct style but when the ball dropped we looked to go at them and in numbers..often having at least four players breaking into the box.   Special mentions to HRK and Jrod who I had written off! I love to be proven wrong by a man in blue and white. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 08:27:34 PM by Oldbury24 »

letmereadposts

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #217 on: November 10, 2018, 08:34:14 PM »
Really enjoyable night, and very pleased for Big Dave. My take home thoughts -

* Bartley signing was a mistake, we looked so much better without. Tosin is taking his opportunity and was outstanding in the air.

* Phillips won every 50/50 and is clearly playing for his manager it is great to see.

* Kanu played the role he was asked to do and took his chance very, very well. It’s great to hear our support back a player so vocally (before and after the goal) despite the reservations we have.

Special mentions -

* Gibbs positional sense is a level above. He is 5 seconds ahead of the game in this regard and in first half in particular was outstanding imo.

* Big Dave and his brave decisions. Well done!

A memorable night with some great goals  - thank you Albion.

Manc Baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #218 on: November 10, 2018, 08:44:13 PM »
I feared the worst before this game as our system & formation so far this season, seemed to be perfect for the Leeds system & formation. Its great to see Darren Moore finally change the formation & this has to be the result of our season so far. Well done to to all.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #219 on: November 10, 2018, 09:00:36 PM »
Just to clean something up. We did NOT play 4-4-2 today it was clearly 4-3-3 as below:

Johnstone

Tosin           Daws                         Hegazi              Gibbs

Phillips           Livermore              Mozza

Kanu                         J Rod                                    Barnes.

Let's make that clear because some people on the radio and on forums are wrong.

I'd like to say a big well done to Darren Moore. Some of us have been going on about 4-3-3 for ages. Finally this week he abandoned the 3-4-1-2 obviously against the wishes of Graeme Jones and gave us the system that most suits us. Boy did we look better for it.

I was a bit surprised to see Kanu start on the right of the three and Phillips (playing the role I'd advocated for Sam Field) but credit where it's due both were superb today.

For the first twenty five minutes we were easily the better team just lacked a goal. Leeds are a good team though, as good as anyone we've come up against this season and towards the end of the first half they came back into the game a bit more.

Second half once we got the goal we could afford to concede possession and wait for the breakaways. The 4-3-3 gives you the best of all worlds. You can play on the front foot, you can keep possession or you can play direct or retreat and play on the counter without losing your shape. That's exactly what we did. It also gives you a flexibility i.e. Barnes / Kanu swapped sides temporarily and Kanu scored - it asks defenders different questions, unsettles them. Their 'keeper had a nightmare for Phillips' goal but that's their problem not ours. Great finishes from Barnes and Gayle topped off by a country mile our most solid and complete performance of the season. Today we looked like a real football team.

A shame we didn't get the clean sheet, the boys deserved the clean sheet but in truth it was a bit of a "meh" moment when they got their goal.

Now, hopefully Darren will stick to this system. We can tamper with personnel a bit here and there, not a problem but today this was exactly what we've been waiting for.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 09:11:58 PM by Atomic »

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

Re: Match Officials
« Reply #220 on: November 10, 2018, 09:11:13 PM »
Does this mean Lee Mason got relegated too?

After tonight, I could see why, he was dreadful.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #221 on: November 10, 2018, 09:15:05 PM »
Tremendous performances all round. Aside from the last minute or 2 , we were solid at the back, Livermore and the quitely effictive Morrison did well. Not sure if Philips was playing on the right of the 3 in midfield but he was everywhere and caused Leeds problems everytime he had hte ball. Great finish by HRK and a cheeky effort from Gayle.

I must say HRK is quite strong and stood up well back to goal, shame he then dived!

Did it show as a dive on TV? From my position in the ES it looked like a pen.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #222 on: November 10, 2018, 09:17:56 PM »
I thought Leeds played some really tidy stuff today. Some lovely one touch and some of their movement caused us problems.  Thank God we went to a back 4.

HRK was a clear dive. Let his leg drag.

Glad Gayle scored the back heel as it was a clear hand ball from the shot. 

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #223 on: November 10, 2018, 09:29:21 PM »
Change of formation, no Brunt, no Bartley and we look a much better team.

Tosin is going to be a good player in a few years, had another excellent game today. Phillips much better and Rodriguez possibly his best game for us.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #224 on: November 10, 2018, 09:35:25 PM »
Change of formation, no Brunt, no Bartley and we look a much better team.

Tosin is going to be a good player in a few years, had another excellent game today. Phillips much better and Rodriguez possibly his best game for us.
Agree with everything except Rodriguez, still thought he was the sexiest link and the one who should make way for Gayle.
Harsh to criticise I know but it we can build on this we are back in contention