Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 662389 times)

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #1225 on: February 10, 2020, 06:16:42 PM »
Bond had a similar game against West Ham as Johnstone yesterday, little or nothing to do and posters were clamoring for him, Bond to play.

When and if Bond does get a game in the Championship and he makes errors, as he surely will, as goalkeepers probably are more error prone than outfield players and there errors highlighted more, people will want him replaced by Ali Al-Habsi and when he makes errors.........................................
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1226 on: February 10, 2020, 06:25:34 PM »
Therein lies the problem, you just can't wait can you?. This is just about as alien to supporting your team as it gets.
Mate don't start getting personal i support my team as much as the next person just because i disagree with you. Oh i forgot you went yesterday so there's only your opinion that counts.

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1227 on: February 10, 2020, 06:25:55 PM »
Sam has been much better since he has stopped playing the short game all the time. Bit like Bartley last year.
The defence has looked more comfortable too.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1228 on: February 10, 2020, 06:39:22 PM »
Couple of decent punches yesterday, maybe that's the answer if he doesn't trust himself to catch it

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1229 on: February 10, 2020, 06:41:52 PM »
I can sort of understand disliking a player based on a run of bad performances or lack of effort BUT to dislike a player from day one is weird it suggests a prior agenda in SJ’s case I can only think it’s because he came from the vile. I have to ask if Gareth Barry or Jolyon Lescott we’re similarly disliked?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1230 on: February 10, 2020, 07:35:26 PM »
Nothing to do with yesterday as i have said i can't stand him. Nothing to be confused about it's my personal feelings. Let's wait and see the posts on here after his next cock up!

I  get why you think he's a poor keeper but even poor keepers have a good game once in a while like he did against Millwall

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1231 on: February 11, 2020, 12:34:37 AM »
I  get why you think he's a poor keeper but even poor keepers have a good game once in a while like he did against Millwall
NO HE DID'NT!

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1232 on: February 11, 2020, 10:55:19 AM »
NO HE DID'NT!
Out of interest, why can't you stand him?
How many marks out of 10 would you give him against Millwall?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1233 on: February 11, 2020, 11:08:08 AM »
Johnstone isnt my idea of a great keeper and I wouldve replaced him with Bond long ago BUT I don't see how anyone can criticise him at Millwall. Didnt have a lot to do but what he did have to do he did.

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #1234 on: February 11, 2020, 11:09:48 AM »
Look, he is Bilics number one so lets back him and get promoted!

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1235 on: February 11, 2020, 10:51:35 PM »
NO HE DID'NT!
You'll need to shout louder and longer.  :D
Looks like you (and your prejudiced views) are in a very small minority when his Millwall performance is being evaluated.

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1236 on: February 11, 2020, 11:08:55 PM »
I don't think I'm alone in thinking there are some really weird, illogical attitudes to SJ on display in here.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1237 on: February 12, 2020, 08:56:31 AM »
I don't think I'm alone in thinking there are some really weird, illogical attitudes to SJ on display in here.

We had the same with Scott Carson, and to be fair they are similar levels of keeper.

He'll never be as good as Foster, so we can always do better. But he's no Zuberbuhler or Whitehead, he'll always be towards the top end of the Championship, so he's good enough for where we are. But because we've had better - including in this division - there will always be people demanding improvement.

If you look back at what people were saying about Carson years ago, it's similar. But Roy soon sussed Carson out, and wanted a better keeper, which the club delivered. The amount of money we've spent on Johnstone, you can't see them doing the same for Bilic.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1238 on: February 12, 2020, 09:20:33 AM »
I think that he's a poor keeper, based on his weaknesses, crosses, positioning, footwork, shots from distance, which I don't consider illogical.
I can however, recognise, and welcome improvement, which is what we saw against Milwall. Granted he didn't have much to do but there were signs, notably him coming off his line a couple of times and punching clear and his distribution was impeccable. If he can continue to improve and build confidence and clean sheets, he'll do until the end of the season.
Longer term, I think he has too many frailties and is not strong enough for the highest level so think we will need to improve if we go up.
Don't think any of the above is unfair.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1239 on: February 12, 2020, 11:23:36 AM »
I think that he's a poor keeper, based on his weaknesses, crosses, positioning, footwork, shots from distance, which I don't consider illogical.
I can however, recognise, and welcome improvement, which is what we saw against Milwall. Granted he didn't have much to do but there were signs, notably him coming off his line a couple of times and punching clear and his distribution was impeccable. If he can continue to improve and build confidence and clean sheets, he'll do until the end of the season.
Longer term, I think he has too many frailties and is not strong enough for the highest level so think we will need to improve if we go up.
Don't think any of the above is unfair.
He just needs to punch more rather than try to be a keeper who controls his box (he just isn't good enough for that in my 'umble opinion). He is just a bog standard keeper.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1240 on: February 12, 2020, 12:06:41 PM »
I don’t think he’s great but he’s far from the worst we’ve had, comments like ‘I can’t stand him’ find a bit strange as he’s still a player for West Bromwich Albion who I’d say gives his all even if he doesn’t fill me with confidence.

To say he played poorly against Millwall is also kind of strange, he didn’t do anything brilliant and he didn’t do anything wrong as far as I could see, looks like a certain amount of the fan base will never like him now whatever he does so it looks as if even if he saves us 10 points in 10 games but gives 2 away in 1 games then it will just be all focused on the 1 game. Unfortunately when that happens a player will always struggle to have a future at a club, I find this quite poor to be honest.

I would look for another keeper in the summer anyway if we go up but I would rather be because he is not up to the job and say ‘thanks but goodbye’ not having to get rid just because what ever happens fans will always be on his back.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1241 on: February 12, 2020, 12:13:22 PM »
I've been critical of him in the past but against Millwall he did everything he needed to.  There wasn't even room for him to play better.  I mean, I wouldn't give him a 10 out of 10, more like a 7 out of 10, "did what was asked".  Seems harsh to criticise him for the performance.

I agree with you Lee about once players have that rep.  Like Livermore, as soon as he misplaces one pass, even when he's trying to split the defence, the match thread is full of compaints, yet other players make similar issues and not a peep.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1242 on: February 12, 2020, 01:03:50 PM »
I've been critical of him in the past but against Millwall he did everything he needed to.  There wasn't even room for him to play better.  I mean, I wouldn't give him a 10 out of 10, more like a 7 out of 10, "did what was asked".  Seems harsh to criticise him for the performance.

I agree with you Lee about once players have that rep.  Like Livermore, as soon as he misplaces one pass, even when he's trying to split the defence, the match thread is full of compaints, yet other players make similar issues and not a peep.

Agreed. Take Bartley and Livermore - arguably two of our most essential players this season, hugely improved on last season and seemingly big characters in the dressing room. Yet the usual suspects take every opportunity to have a pop at them. I just laugh now as the usual suspects lose credibility even further as they cannot see past their own bias to actually comment accurately on a game or a performance. They clearly don’t understand the game not able to see it for what it is.

The in game thread at the weekend was a joke. But then I’m not minded to spend my time picking faults.

Johnstone did fine the other night but I don’t think he was much improved. He just did what he needed to do. The same can be said for Bond who hasn’t really put a foot wrong. It’s hard for a keeper to break through and he will only get a chance through injury or catastrophic loss of form by Johnstone, and Johnstone is doing just enough to keep his head above water at the moment.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1243 on: February 12, 2020, 02:35:02 PM »
The only people who lose credibility are those who effusively praise the Johnstone's, Livermore's and Bartley's for the odd 6 or 7 out of 10 performance using nonsense hyperbole like, 'our most essential players'.

Take Johnstone on Sunday. He had virtually nothing to do but if someone did want to pick him apart then he could have caught the two crosses that he punched away well, left the shot going wide instead of parrying it out for a corner and held the tame shot that was going in instead of putting it out for a corner.

He was a bog standard 6 out of 10, maybe 6.5 for his distribution. The issue is not someone saying he didn't play well, it's the needless adding to this thread after the game disguising a nothing performance as something better.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1244 on: February 12, 2020, 02:42:31 PM »
The only people who lose credibility are those who effusively praise the Johnstone's, Livermore's and Bartley's for the odd 6 or 7 out of 10 performance using nonsense hyperbole like, 'our most essential players'.

Take Johnstone on Sunday. He had virtually nothing to do but if someone did want to pick him apart then he could have caught the two crosses that he punched away well, left the shot going wide instead of parrying it out for a corner and held the tame shot that was going in instead of putting it out for a corner.

He was a bog standard 6 out of 10, maybe 6.5 for his distribution. The issue is not someone saying he didn't play well, it's the needless adding to this thread after the game disguising a nothing performance as something better.

There is also an issue though that for some players no matter how well they play and sometimes those players are an 8/10 that certain posters just won't give them any credit and call an outstanding performance a nothing /mundane performance.

anyone who just picks out players faults without being able to praise loses credibility surely?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 02:45:13 PM by Hull Baggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1245 on: February 12, 2020, 05:00:41 PM »
There is also an issue though that for some players no matter how well they play and sometimes those players are an 8/10 that certain posters just won't give them any credit and call an outstanding performance a nothing /mundane performance.

anyone who just picks out players faults without being able to praise loses credibility surely?
Of course. Exactly the same as picking out players' strengths without being able to criticise. Just demonstrates blind bias based on a rigid opinion, which results in loss of credibility.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1246 on: February 12, 2020, 05:33:24 PM »
Of course. Exactly the same as picking out players' strengths without being able to criticise. Just demonstrates blind bias based on a rigid opinion, which results in loss of credibility.

Agreed. Having a needless dig at a player when they have been very good, or over playing how good they were just means that people will just skip over their posts as I have learned to do.

Saying that we are all fans and just have different perspectives. It’s just that for me there are a few on here who want to be the Adrian Durham of the forum, and therefore I’ve no interest.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1247 on: February 12, 2020, 05:50:40 PM »
He's clearly going to keep his place this season, next season is another matter, whatever div we're in

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1248 on: February 12, 2020, 06:37:08 PM »
All I ask is that we rate a player based on his performance in the game in question as opposed to some regular posters who simply will not praise certain players and will never criticise certain others, regardless of what has transpired in the game in question. That’s what I struggle with.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1249 on: February 12, 2020, 08:15:38 PM »
All I ask is that we rate a player based on his performance in the game in question as opposed to some regular posters who simply will not praise certain players and will never criticise certain others, regardless of what has transpired in the game in question. That’s what I struggle with.
See in match thread.