Author Topic: 28th July 2018 Albion 5 Coventry City 2  (Read 22544 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: 28th July 2018 Albion 5 Coventry City 2
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2018, 10:10:30 AM »
I'd say it started as a 4411 (maybe with Phillips playing slightly more advanced on right wing), but as coventry offered little threat, the full backs pushed further forward.

I have no idea what formation we finished with, 3 at the back?
Boing Boing

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2018, 10:17:53 AM »
I'd say it started as a 4411 (maybe with Phillips playing slightly more advanced on right wing), but as coventry offered little threat, the full backs pushed further forward.

I have no idea what formation we finished with, 3 at the back?

Thanks for the response, just trying to see what we might look like going through the season and what areas we might need to strengthen.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2018, 10:33:33 AM »
I say if we ask WMP and then Play Wolves, Villa, Coventry and Maybe one of his other teams it wouldn't matter about Hooligans just giving a Tribute the Big man would be Proud of do it every Season. But then yet again there would probably be a few idiots who would ruin it for the rest of us.
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2018, 11:10:58 AM »
It might work if the holder of the Cyrille Regis Shield, that’s us this year, then takes on one of either Aston Villa, Coventry City and Wolverhampton Wanderes each year at the beginning of the season.

Trying to arrange a four team tournament at the start of a season would be difficult IMO, particularly if teams are in the PL and have preseason overseas commitments etc.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2018, 12:03:20 PM »
At last, silverware.

;)
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2018, 12:22:54 PM »
At last, silverware.

;)

2 in 2 years, didn't we win a trophy at Burton last season ?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2018, 12:54:44 PM »

Bass Charity Vase courtesy of a goal from Jay Rodriguez.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2018, 01:42:50 PM »
Found the highlights on Youtube for those interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIe4Mg9gkjA

Thanks for that, much appreciated. That Barnes chap looks pretty bloody useful! I'm feeling a lot more optimistic now!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2018, 01:44:27 PM »
Brunt and Morrison seemed pivotal in all our decent play. Barnes and HRK excellent outlets.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2018, 02:00:16 PM »
Brunt and Morrison seemed pivotal in all our decent play. Barnes and HRK excellent outlets.

Yes. A word for Livermore as well he's suddenly starting to look like a player.

His current goal scoring run is making him look like Bomber Brown.  :o .................................... Well, maybe not entirely.  ;)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2018, 02:29:24 PM »
Have just watched the goals and both of HRK's were very Regisesque, maybe the big man turned up to lend a hand!
Did his memory proud, really hope this tribute carries on and goes from strength to strength.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2018, 02:37:38 PM »
Have just watched the goals and both of HRK's were very Regisesque, maybe the big man turned up to lend a hand!
Did his memory proud, really hope this tribute carries on and goes from strength to strength.

It did help that the defence just disintegrated for his first. Rank awful defending.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2018, 03:29:48 PM »

There's no stopping us now.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2018, 05:19:07 PM »
Really enjoyed the game yesterday, a much better performance than at Barnsley on the whole.

I think Brunt is starting to look like a cm to be fair to Moore and he seems to relish having Morrison in front of him.

It was great to see players pass to each other and then move to either receive another pass or be an option for a pass....something we haven't seen that much of over the last 3 seasons or so.

Barnes carried on from the good form he showed in his 30 minute cameo on Tuesday. He looks a proper handful and certainly gets you up on your feet. Took his goals really well too.

I had hoped that Rodriguez would start but HRK did his job well and will be a handy player to have in the Championship.

I think Cranie did okay and was certainly no worse than Nyom was against Bransley but I'd be happier if we could get a decent first choice Rb in (I don't know who though!).

Bartley worries me I have to say, hopefully he's getting used to playing with different players and once he has a regular defensive partner maybe he'll settle down. I'd prefer Dawson and Hegazi though.

telford baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2018, 07:02:40 PM »
Found the highlights on Youtube for those interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIe4Mg9gkjA
some of the players need to sort out there shorts, kanu with his big ass needs a bigger size

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2018, 01:02:28 PM »
I have to say I quite enjoyed the game, and although it was only Coventry, there were positive signs.

Johnstone looks a good shot stopper, but should have caught rather than punched, and needs to work on his distribution. Cranie looked decent, and could be worth a year as back-up for a 46+ game season. Gibbs and Barnes were superb, and a class above anything else on the pitch. The pair have obviously been working on linking up already, and the touch and close control from both makes me think our left flank might be a good source of goals this year.

I think the formation was 4-2-3-1, with Brunt sitting in the middle alongside Livermore, while Phillips (R), Morrison (C), and Barnes (L) were ahead of them. The role might work at this level for Brunt, but it remains to be seen. I don't get all the praise for Robson-Kanu at all. He got lucky with his first, and his second was relatively simple having been left all alone by Coventry's defence. Every time the ball went up to him, it bounced 10 yards off him. If Rondon and Rodriguez are going, we need replacements in ASAP - three of them.

It was good to see the kids get some minutes, but some of them look a little lightweight - especially Edwards and Harper. Maybe they'll fill out, or they just need some game time, but they got bullied in a friendly. Burke didn't do too much when he came on, but Leko looked good - he took three defenders with one clever bit of skill.

Overall a good workout, and it's nice to be going into the season with some postivity, but Coventry (Allassane apart) look like they're in for a long season.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2018, 01:09:03 PM »
I have to say I quite enjoyed the game, and although it was only Coventry, there were positive signs.

Johnstone looks a good shot stopper, but should have caught rather than punched, and needs to work on his distribution. Cranie looked decent, and could be worth a year as back-up for a 46+ game season. Gibbs and Barnes were superb, and a class above anything else on the pitch. The pair have obviously been working on linking up already, and the touch and close control from both makes me think our left flank might be a good source of goals this year.

I think the formation was 4-2-3-1, with Brunt sitting in the middle alongside Livermore, while Phillips (R), Morrison (C), and Barnes (L) were ahead of them. The role might work at this level for Brunt, but it remains to be seen. I don't get all the praise for Robson-Kanu at all. He got lucky with his first, and his second was relatively simple having been left all alone by Coventry's defence. Every time the ball went up to him, it bounced 10 yards off him. If Rondon and Rodriguez are going, we need replacements in ASAP - three of them.

It was good to see the kids get some minutes, but some of them look a little lightweight - especially Edwards and Harper. Maybe they'll fill out, or they just need some game time, but they got bullied in a friendly. Burke didn't do too much when he came on, but Leko looked good - he took three defenders with one clever bit of skill.

Overall a good workout, and it's nice to be going into the season with some postivity, but Coventry (Allassane apart) look like they're in for a long season.

Was that the one when he then blazed about twenty foot over the bar from a silly angle? Typifies Leko don't rate him at all to be honest.

Oliver Burke was really disappointing for me, didn't control the ball and didn't show much intelligence. His career seems to be stalling and for all that Phillips was hit and miss (he was hopeless for about 20 mins second half) he's still a far better option than Burke I'm sad to say.

Is it just me or does anyone else think Phillips always seems knackered after about an hour? He isn't a 90 minute player IMO.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2018, 01:27:19 PM »

Was that the one when he then blazed about twenty foot over the bar from a silly angle? Typifies Leko don't rate him at all to be honest.

Oliver Burke was really disappointing for me, didn't control the ball and didn't show much intelligence. His career seems to be stalling and for all that Phillips was hit and miss (he was hopeless for about 20 mins second half) he's still a far better option than Burke I'm sad to say.

Is it just me or does anyone else think Phillips always seems knackered after about an hour? He isn't a 90 minute player IMO.

not just you he seems to be huffing and puffing after about 40 mins. Might explain why he was a completely different player in the 2nd half of a lot of games last season, especially when he had managed to beat his defender comfortably in the first half and stopped doing it in the second.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2018, 07:09:16 PM »
not just you he seems to be huffing and puffing after about 40 mins. Might explain why he was a completely different player in the 2nd half of a lot of games last season, especially when he had managed to beat his defender comfortably in the first half and stopped doing it in the second.
He seems to need games under his belt. That game against Spurs at the end of the season he kept going the full game and out ran Danny Rose second half.