Author Topic: One Way To Rolfe Street !  (Read 12163 times)

albion59

• Senior Baggie

Re: One Way To Rolfe Street !
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 08:31:18 AM »
Trainers???? No way my son. Only good for running. First Doc Martins then they were for going out.Crombies, Staypress, Ben Sherman and jaytex. After Doc's on match day it was steel toe caps. Until police noticed we used to screw points into our umbrella's which for a few years was the weapon.
Later in Suedehead era I usaed to go to games as if I was going out at night! Our Tipton & Dudley women would wear the same but with monkey boots & sow razor blades into their lapels. There were hooligan groupies! When we went away some away women would just want to be with you and make you happy???????;) ;) ;)
your right turkish crombie ben sherman shirt i used to wear brogues and sometimes a harrington jackett, i still wear brogues to this day and i still have a big black overcoat similar to a crombie but dont wear them to the match theese days!

Smooth Lad

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 03:15:43 PM »
look admit it man , i used to sit in the paddock with all those boys in thev early 80s  you all wore Farrahs... Now be proud

Farah knocks our some decent trousers/shirts/knits still to this day.  ;)
Keep St.George in my heart.

blackcountryblues

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2012, 11:10:43 PM »
Since i first read this thread i have been trying to think of the name of a pub that was close to Rolfe St.
Me and my brother used to start off on matchday in the Birmid Club, Great Arthur St then walk down to this pub, it was situated where the pump house museum thing is now, what was the name, its doin me nut in.
We used to walk up Halfords Lane then and have another in the Waggon on the corner and then there was another pub in between there and the ground. Cant remember the name of that one either.
It was a long time ago hence the memory blocks (70's, Johnny Giles etc etc) but the atmosphere on the way up to the Hawthorns was great especially if there was a big away following. 
Can anyone remember these boozers, come on Turkish, Greenock and Albion59, this is your era i do believe  ;)

Turkish baggie

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 05:10:43 AM »
Since i first read this thread i have been trying to think of the name of a pub that was close to Rolfe St.
Me and my brother used to start off on matchday in the Birmid Club, Great Arthur St then walk down to this pub, it was situated where the pump house museum thing is now, what was the name, its doin me nut in.
We used to walk up Halfords Lane then and have another in the Waggon on the corner and then there was another pub in between there and the ground. Cant remember the name of that one either.
It was a long time ago hence the memory blocks (70's, Johnny Giles etc etc) but the atmosphere on the way up to the Hawthorns was great especially if there was a big away following. 
Can anyone remember these boozers, come on Turkish, Greenock and Albion59, this is your era i do believe  ;)

So you come out of the station, cross the road and walk up around the bend and the pub was about 200yrds up Halfords Lane, set back on the left? We to, when the situation allowed used to have a couple on the way up. We had one lad who could really shift so he would sprint up and order. The Coach and Horses seems to come to mind but its been along time ago??? It was a Ansells house though?

silver surfer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2012, 09:58:13 AM »
So you come out of the station, cross the road and walk up around the bend and the pub was about 200yrds up Halfords Lane, set back on the left? We to, when the situation allowed used to have a couple on the way up. We had one lad who could really shift so he would sprint up and order. The Coach and Horses seems to come to mind but its been along time ago??? It was a Ansells house though?
The Cock Inn ?

blackcountryblues

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2012, 07:10:20 PM »
The Cock Inn, thats the one Silver, and Turk your right too it was an Ansells House. I remember going in the day after Leeds smashed it up and asking the gaffer why he even let them in, he said that the cost of a few new glasses and the odd chair was peanuts compared to the amount of money he took over the bar.

I remember too that if we went back down Smethwick and there werent too much going on, The Blue Gates would open around five minutes to six and believe me those extra minutes were a godsend back in those days.

tf2 baggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2012, 08:22:09 PM »
i think the pub in between the wagon and the ground was called the old house at home,its now the railway station car park

blackcountryblues

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2012, 10:08:06 PM »
It was "The Old House At Home" tf2, cramped up little pub but they must have took some money on matchdays.

Birmid>>Cock Inn>>Waggon>>Old House at Hum then go and watch Willie Johnstone terrorise defences.............priceless :)