Poll

What would you prefer, survive in the Prem or Win the FA Cup?

Survive
FA Cup

Author Topic: Survival or FA Cup  (Read 20197 times)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

Survival or FA Cup
« on: February 05, 2018, 09:06:31 AM »
Ok, so it's Monday morning and we are all still depressed after Saturday's surrender put another nail in our survival coffin, but let's not forget we are still in the FA cup, with a very winnable home draw.
So, what matters more to you? If it's straight up choice between survival or winning the cup, which would you choose?
I know the 2 are not exclusive and we should be aiming for both, but I don't really want that debate, I just want to know what means more to you, and why.

I'll kick off with a resounding vote for the FA cup. I'm 47 and never seen us lift a trophy and, with every passing year, my chances of doing so diminish so, the thought of us winning the FA Cup trumps everything else for me.

Strange thing is, I even feel a tingle of hope, as I think we play with a bit more freedom in cup games. Anyone with me?

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

Re: Survival or FA Cup
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 09:19:15 AM »
I've gone for survive. Although I'd dearly love to see us win the cup I don't believe there's a cat in hells chance frankly. If and when we go down we'll have real problems coming back up as we wont be in a position to attract decent quality players, therefore I see survival as more important in the medium and long term. Horrible decision to make though!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 09:22:16 AM »
Win a trophy. That's why everyone is in the game simple as that. If we won the FA Cup these players would go down as club legends forever.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 09:28:28 AM »
My heart says trophy, my head says survival.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 09:32:12 AM »
FA Cup win over survival

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 09:34:26 AM »
Head & heart here as well, but I certainly wouldn't want this bunch of players considered anything close to legends after this seasons performances - survival!

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 09:35:32 AM »
Survival everyday...who wants to watch the likes of Brentford home and away

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 09:51:36 AM »
Survival obviously.  Why risk the entire future of the club for a bit of silverware?  Utterly mental.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 09:52:47 AM »
Survival obviously.  Why risk the entire future of the club for a bit of silverware?  Utterly mental.

To give us long suffering fans a cherished memory perhaps?

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 09:56:54 AM »
Fa cup win all day everyday for me. I'm not going to remember were we finish in the prem. In the also ran group every year or have a memory that you will take to the grave

In fact if we went down and come back up I'd remember the promotion year over a survival year in the prem

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 09:59:46 AM »
To give us long suffering fans a cherished memory perhaps?

At the possible expense of the future of the club though? 

I'd rather take my kids to watch Albion play top quality Premiership sides, even if it means the odds are stacked against us than explain that I once saw us lift the FA Cup and not to worry about languishing in League 2.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 10:03:54 AM »
i was 8 years old when we last won the FA cup, I may not ever see it again, so Cup for me.

Premier League is an artificial "competition" anyway, yes I worry about the financial stability of the club but we are (hopefully) more financially viable than at any point in the last 50 years.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 10:07:12 AM »

Why not take winning silverware seriously to just be another number to make up the greed league?

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 10:08:01 AM »
At the possible expense of the future of the club though? 

I'd rather take my kids to watch Albion play top quality Premiership sides, even if it means the odds are stacked against us than explain that I once saw us lift the FA Cup and not to worry about languishing in League 2.

Who said anything about league 2? Maybe winning the cup would allow us to keep some of our better players even if we were relegated.

So you're happy just to make up the numbers every season so you can take your kids to watch top players visiting the Hawthorns?

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 10:15:08 AM »

Who said anything about league 2? Maybe winning the cup would allow us to keep some of our better players even if we were relegated.

So you're happy just to make up the numbers every season so you can take your kids to watch top players visiting the Hawthorns?

Nah, I'd like to see us make a decent attempt on the FA Cup every year which I think we'd stand a better chance of if we stay up.  We'd also stand a much better chance of keeping our better players than if we go down and win the FA Cup.  There is no comparison there surely?

I think people are vastly underestimating how difficult it is to get out of the Championship now (in an upwards direction).  The days of only getting rid of one or two of the squad and coming straight back up are gone.  And what's the point in going into the Championship if you don't want to win promotion? 

If you really want to win silverware then staying up and building on the squad is the best way of doing that. 

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 10:15:19 AM »
I chose FA cup but the two aren’t mutually exclusive. You can carry cup form into the league.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2018, 10:36:36 AM »
FA Cup for me.
If we get relegated this club has been set up on a three year plan for stability should that happen.
We're never going to win the Premier League, the best we can hope for is a position between 8th and 17th. Like the another 13 clubs in this league we are just there for the top six to take the preverbial out of week in week out.
OK so we get lucky once in a while and give one of the big boys a bloody nose but how often does that happen.
Unlike those tits down at Aston I don't buy into this 'we belong in the Premier League'.
We are there on merit, and with some of the dross entertainment we've served up thanks to Pulis, nobody would bat an eyelid if we did drop down.
In the Championship we'd see a bit more effort as we would be trying to get out of that League. What we've been served up for the last 3 years is mind numbing fare designed just to stay in the league.
If that's what we're about then iMO it's time for us as fans to wrap up.
Sod the Prem its far more entertaining trying to win the Championship as against staying in the Prem.
Win the cup and give the fans something to smile about.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 10:42:36 AM »
But if we go down to the Championship then you wouldn't want to us to get promoted I guess?  So we'd be playing to finishing 7th to 12th?  Or do we get promoted then we hope for relegation again?

Backofthenet

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 10:51:31 AM »
To be honest I've lost the will with this lot. People talk about losing our best players if we go down. Lets face it none of our players are good enough- that's why we are where we are. Yes there would no doubt be some sort of exodus as some of these over ego'd players believe they should be Premier League. - Well earn the right then. If you were any good you would not get relegated.
The cup win in 68 was fantastic and a great day. The difference was we had players who cared and bothered about what happened to the club. They related to us, the supporters and played as much for us as themselves. Who's bothered now? Within the club there are those who should have  sorted this mess ages ago but the long suffering supporter is the one who feels it most.
In answer to the original question -- I no longer care ... which is really sad. That's what it's come to.   

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 11:00:06 AM »
Nah, I'd like to see us make a decent attempt on the FA Cup every year which I think we'd stand a better chance of if we stay up. 

I get this, it makes sense that being a Premier League side for longer means that we can attract better players and have more strength in depth which should lead to greater chances in the cups. However, we have been in the Premier League in 12 out of the last 16 seasons and this is our 8th consecutive season as this level and it just hasn't been the case that we have done well in the cups. The time we have done best is actually when we were in the Championship and although I accept that we had a strong squad as a result of having been in the Premier League, I just don't see that being in the PL correlates to regular cup success.

In answer to the question, FA Cup for me, I would love to see us win something in my lifetime. A Coventry supporting friend of mine described their Johnstone's Paint Throphy win last season as one of the best days of his life, it just shows how much winning a trophy means. To win an FA Cup, a major trophy with great historical significance, is something I want desperately.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 11:05:16 AM »
But if we go down to the Championship then you wouldn't want to us to get promoted I guess?  So we'd be playing to finishing 7th to 12th?  Or do we get promoted then we hope for relegation again?

Pay attention.
I said its far more entertaining trying to win the Championship than trying to not get relegated from the Prem. Of course I 'd want us to get promoted but I wouldn't be all doom and gloom if we got relegated
If we're going to be serious about the Premier League the whole ethos and approach of the club need to change, and I can't see that happening any time soon.
We used to have a fine tradition as a cup team, rekindling that ambition would be far more interest to most fans than watching the dross that we have for the last 3 years.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2018, 11:06:30 AM »
Went for the FA Cup purely because I have given up hope of survival. 3 wins in 26 games tells the tale on that one, we deserve to go down, let's at least have a day out at Wembley to enjoy whilst we do go down.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 11:11:04 AM »
the games about winning.unless there's a trophy called the premiere league survivors cup.stick plodding along doing nothing in the league up ya jacksy. winning the cup is a lifetimes want for me.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2018, 11:15:53 AM »
Cup win without a doubt, no body remembers survival, sick of the greed league and the same old faces getting priority. bring on the Brentfords of this world
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2018, 11:18:08 AM »
If we had sir jeremy at the helm still id say cup, but i have very little faith in the current management to get us back up again so survival. I want to see the best possible albion team and that we will not see languishing in the championship

Wigan fans loved the cup win, but it looks like they're going to spent the next 20 years in the wilderness and would they say it was worth it? probably not