Author Topic: Rekeem Harper Joins Ipswich Town  (Read 217488 times)

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

Re: Rekeem Harper
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2019, 07:54:31 AM »
This a big concern - coupled with his lack of game time it wouldn't be a surprise to see him walk away on a free. There will be no shortage of sides keen to take him. Mismanagement of good academy prospects seems to be a long-term issue here.

Agreed, a big concern of we carelessly lose another talent.
Looked very good today, especially second half. Combines both a surprising burst of pace with power which Wigan struggled with.

NEEDS GAME TIME !!
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2019, 09:21:56 AM »
This was the season to bring these kids through. If they don't get given the chance in the championship they won't get it in the Prem.  Rather than play these talented youngsters we are opting for short term fixes like Barry, Hoolahan, Mears and to a lesser extent Brunt and Morrison.

Suspect it's a decision coming from the top though.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2019, 09:28:47 AM »
Harper was excellent yesterday and should start against Norwich.

Unfortunately he will not replace Livermore - it'll be either Morrison or Brunt alongside Barry and Phillips
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2019, 09:50:21 AM »
This was the season to bring these kids through. If they don't get given the chance in the championship they won't get it in the Prem.  Rather than play these talented youngsters we are opting for short term fixes like Barry, Hoolahan, Mears and to a lesser extent Brunt and Morrison.

Suspect it's a decision coming from the top though.

Harper is 19 in March.  I can think of plenty of fine players starting their careers at 17 such as Bale, Giggs, Fowler, Owen, Lee Sharpe.  There’s been matches this season where we’ve been hustled out of it midfield due to a lack of pace.  1 of Barry or Brunt should play, simple.

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2019, 10:27:03 AM »
This a big concern - coupled with his lack of game time it wouldn't be a surprise to see him walk away on a free. There will be no shortage of sides keen to take him. Mismanagement of good academy prospects seems to be a long-term issue here.

Very concerning. On back of yesterday we should be offering big pay rise and get him tied down urgently. To lose him on a free when young English talent sells for a premium would be downright stupid.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2019, 10:44:02 AM »
Very concerning. On back of yesterday we should be offering big pay rise and get him tied down urgently. To lose him on a free when young English talent sells for a premium would be downright stupid.

I don't think money is the issue. If I were Rakeem, I'd want game time. On the strength of his performance yesterday, he should get a start against Norwich on Saturday.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Xpresso

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2019, 01:43:58 PM »
If he doesn't get game time now we'll only have ourselves to blame if he decides not to sign a new contract and move on elsewhere. He showed maturity, pace and creativity yesterday, all of which has been lacking in our midfield all too often this season. We can't keep relying on the front three, talented as they are, to supply the magic and get the points.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2019, 04:12:37 PM »
Ever thought that maybe Rekeem is demanding too much money?

I know that was the problem with Roberts, he valued himself higher than the club were willing to pay.

Perhaps that’s why he’s not getting as much game time? Be an interesting couple of months for sure.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2019, 04:28:14 PM »
Very possibly and to be honest I don't see this ending well for us.

I really hope I'm wrong though.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Xpresso

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2019, 05:27:11 PM »
I thought we sold Roberts to raise the funds needed to pay the loan fee for Sturridge.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2019, 05:28:32 PM »
I thought we sold Roberts to raise the funds needed to pay the loan fee for Sturridge.

I thought he was asking for too much money and so we basically had no choice but to sell him

BAGGIES4LIFE

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2019, 05:41:58 PM »
Watching his interview he didn’t sound like he was wanting to jump ship, saying loved playing for this great club.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2019, 05:49:12 PM »
If he does rate himself higher than the club think in value....Saturday might equalise things
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2019, 05:51:07 PM »
If it comes down to a choice between drawing up a new contract for Harper or extending Hoolihan's stay, it should be a no brainer in favour of Harper. Not that Hoolihan has done a  bad job, but Harper's the future.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2019, 05:54:39 PM »
If it comes down to a choice between drawing up a new contract for Harper or extending Hoolihan's stay, it should be a no brainer in favour of Harper. Not that Hoolihan has done a  bad job, but Harper's the future.
I wouldn't have thought there was any link whatsoever
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2019, 06:08:49 PM »
I wouldn't have thought there was any link whatsoever
If Harper's opportunities in the first team or indeed money were to be involved, I could see a link.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2019, 06:08:59 PM »
I thought he was asking for too much money and so we basically had no choice but to sell him
wasn’t Roberts asking for around 20k a week or something silly
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2019, 07:04:57 PM »
wasn’t Roberts asking for around 20k a week or something silly

I think it was something like that yeah

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2019, 11:41:44 PM »
Moore doesn't trust these youngsters in the league, which is a shame and will cost us in long run. Field, Leko and Harper should be first team regulars by now. Burke it seems has been given cold shoulder by coaching staff and that's why he's gone out on loan. Seems from the outside looking in that no matter how well these players perform Darren is too stubborn or afraid to use them.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2019, 10:01:04 AM »
I liked the look of Harper alongside Barry in the earlier cup rounds and feel that they could work well together on Saturday if selected. They both had a poor game against Palace in the final round we were in, but the whole team did and we were still playing the ridiculous 5 at the back in that game as Darren got schooled by Roy so I find it hard to judge too harshly.

He was superb on Saturday against a poor Wigan side, so I would happily see a midfield three of Phillips, Harper and Barry on Saturday.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2019, 11:51:21 AM »
Very strange set up against Palace that night with three centre halves,  Mears and Townsend wide then Barry,  Harper and Morrison in midfield with Hoolahan off Kanu up top. Barry, Morrison and  Hoolahan were still building their fitness and although we kept the ball OK we did nothing with it. Barry was replaced by Brunt in one  of three subs just after an hour and we looked even worse thereon. One of those nights to forget which can never be clawed back  :-X .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2019, 12:36:00 PM »
Watching his interview he didn’t sound like he was wanting to jump ship, saying loved playing for this great club.

Ben Foster said the same too.. I would never judge a footballer on their words.

Harper is a good player - with a promising future and the club needs to reward that accordingly.

quite frankly, if we do not get promoted this season he is a guaranteed a spot in the first team next year. His chance should we be promoted may be less likely.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2019, 12:51:50 PM »
He was superb Saturday, and I'd love to see a team in the future based around him, Field, and Edwards. Field obviously sits deeper, and in time will dictate the play; Harper gets about, moves the ball well; Edwards is the more skilful, attacking number 10.

Hope we can keep hold of all three for a good few years.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2019, 07:23:06 PM »
Harper (and Field) could already be playing in the championship if they moved. I see no reason he'd want to stay. If we go up they have even less chance of playing, and they only get cup games now.

The fact is no matter how well he plays, without experience, the other central midfielders will be preferred to him and Field. The club just isn't a club that uses its academy, it requires a specific mentality. Safety first has been the clubs mantra for years now.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2019, 10:03:52 PM »
 :D Big Dave...put this kid into the team...too good to leave out :D