Author Topic: "Nearly men" of the past.  (Read 6268 times)

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

"Nearly men" of the past.
« on: June 15, 2011, 01:13:20 AM »
Just looking at past videos and I can't help but wonder for a lot of players 'what if?' in regards to their chances and time at the club. When you see the likes of Meite rack up nearly 50 odd appearances, it makes you wonder if others could have done better with their times here. By the way, I am 18 - so my history is limited.

In no order:

1. John Hartson - he scored 2 goals on his debut vs Hull, could have had the hat-trick and the thing about his goals was the natural finish involved in both. I know Scottish football is weak, but he genuinely looked like a poacher with an excellent finish. He then played 20+ appearances scoring only 2 more then retiring sheepishly due to his weight. It was a flash in the pan, wasted wages too but if he kept at his fitness (which I believe he could) he could have been a contender of Phillips in terms of a veteran poacher at the club.

2. Borja Valero - He is now playing for Spain. It was a classic case of 'Ashworth brings in gem, Mowbray tries to change player' like Barnett and too. It didn't work, he was played out of position and wasn't given a second season. In hindsight, he clearly has a gift but too little time was given to him.

3. Lee Marshall - From what we saw, he was a good enough footballer in the PL, at our current time and could have played in the Championship. He got a goal vs Leeds but was rumours were he fell out with Megson (Suprise, suprise) which quickly ended his time at the club. He made 10 appearances in total, and is today a forgotten man.

4. Thomas Gaardsoe - He was similar to Olsson and was a real rock for us. Sadly a horror injury ended his career aged 26, when he was arguably at his peak. He was a big loss, however this story does have a happy ending. He is now 31 and has been playing regular football this season in the top flight of Denmark after a recovery to football in 2009.

I can't think of any more right now, there's a few I've thought about but for me those are the key ones. I did actually include Hulse and Hughes, but on thinking, they actually did get a good run-in.

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

Re: "Nearly men" of the past.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 01:24:02 AM »
Giles Barnes- When he was at Derby he was linked with some Premier League clubs i believe West ham were keen on him, then after a bad injury he was released, then we got him on a free which i thought was great buisness, after seeing him a few times i thought we have a decent player if he could stay fit, but that never really happened he gained wait became slow . He could of been a decent player for us if he stayed fit and kept off the burgers, i still think he should of worked a lot harder we gave him a second chance and never took it, a shame because he had very high potential but it fizzled out and now he will most likely be at a mid-table championship club next season
BOING BOING

Rich99

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 01:59:25 AM »
2. Borja Valero - He is now playing for Spain. It was a classic case of 'Ashworth brings in gem, Mowbray tries to change player' like Barnett and too. It didn't work, he was played out of position and wasn't given a second season. In hindsight, he clearly has a gift but too little time was given to him.

I don't think one can just blame Mowbray, he's one of the very few coaches in the English game who gives the passing game a chance, I didn't see too many other English clubs pawing over Valero.

The fact is, he was seen as not good enough for the Premiership, but is now good enough to play for Spain alongside some amazing tallent.

People keep going on about England's failings being all down to youth systems in this country, when in fact, it's probably got more to do with the nature of our top league: the Premiership.  I see a flood of foreign players in the Premiership, but very few of those are of a real technical nature from the likes of Brazil, Argentina, well South America in general or Spain at this moment.

If Borja Valero, a guy playing for Spain,  would have come through the English youth system, he'd still have been swept under the carpet by the Premiership (as he was). Folk over here shout about  it all about our attitudes at youth level, ignoring the fact that players who came through the very youth system they call for (Spain with Valero), are simply being shunted aside at this very moment in time by the Premiership league they applaud.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 02:25:07 AM by Rich99 »

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 02:17:36 AM »
I would like to have seen Valero given a proper run in the side but the team was set up around Greening and Mowbray was reluctant to change that. Not saying Valero would have worked out here but we'll honestly never know.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 02:39:15 AM »
I don't think one can just blame Mowbray, he's one of the very few coaches in the English game who gives the passing game a chance, I didn't see too many other English clubs pawing over Valero.

The fact is, he was seen as not good enough for the Premiership, but is now good enough to play for Spain alongside some amazing tallent.

People keep going on about England's failings being all down to youth systems in this country, when in fact, it's probably got more to do with the nature of our top league: the Premiership.  I see a flood of foreign players in the Premiership, but very few of those are of a real technical nature from the likes of Brazil, Argentina, well South America in general or Spain at this moment.

If Borja Valero, a guy playing for Spain,  would have come through the English youth system, he'd still have been swept under the carpet by the Premiership (as he was). Folk over here shout about  it all about our attitudes at youth level, ignoring the fact that players who came through the very youth system they call for (Spain with Valero), are simply being shunted aside at this very moment in time by the Premiership league they applaud.

Not sure thats entirely true, plenty of slightly built players have done well - I think a lot of South American players struggling is in general due to off the pitch matters really, its a massive culture change. But you only have to look at the likes of Modric to see how you don't necessarily have to be an athlete to succeed in the premier, although to get scouted over here you are right its very different.

In reality when you see Valero in Spain he's far more attacking, playing off the striker (he'd be ideal now as it goes, off Odemwingie) in a much more creative role. When he was here I don't think he ever got within 25 yards of goal. What was even more bizarre was quiet a lot of that season Greening played as the attacking midfielder, when clearly they'd have been much more suited in reversed roles.

Rich99

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 02:45:07 AM »
Not sure thats entirely true, plenty of slightly built players have done well - I think a lot of South American players struggling is in general due to off the pitch matters really, its a massive culture change. But you only have to look at the likes of Modric to see how you don't necessarily have to be an athlete to succeed in the premier, although to get scouted over here you are right its very different.

I knew Modric would be brought up, who hasn't yet played for a genuine top 4 (our biggest sides) yet anyway.  He is very much the exception to the rule.

Scouting wise, if he hadn't done so well against the English national side, I'm pretty certain he wouldn't be over here.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 03:01:17 AM by Rich99 »

Rich99

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 03:49:38 AM »
Goal scoring wise I thought Earnie did well during his time with us in the Premiership: 14 in his first season with us, 11 in the Prem.

Sure, I know his all round game is limited, but it's a shame he never really kicked on from his first season with us.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 03:56:30 AM by Rich99 »

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 09:14:47 AM »
The Duke, scored a few goals for us in the Premiership, if he had played more than he would have scored more, and his career would be better than what it is now.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 09:49:46 AM »
Going back a bit, Derek Monaghan.  Similar build to Robson (well at least he had the same daft 70s perm).  Got injured, I think.  And Martyn Bennett looked like he could have been good for a few games at first.  Don't know what happened to him?

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 11:03:42 AM »
The problem with Valero is that Mowbray thought he could play him and Greening in the same side and it simply didn't work. Valero should have been giving a chance to start over Greening. We also needed a Scharner or Mulumbu working in the middle with him as we were far to lightweight as a whole in midfield that season.
the regime don't like it man

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 11:19:34 AM »
Going back a bit, Derek Monaghan.  Similar build to Robson (well at least he had the same daft 70s perm).  Got injured, I think.  And Martyn Bennett looked like he could have been good for a few games at first.  Don't know what happened to him?

Didn't Monaghan score the winner at Wolves one year ?

Injuries destroyed Bennett, had the potential to be an England regular but if I remember the injuries started when he got his first call up.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 12:08:08 PM »
Monaghan was in the paper recently as the scorer when we last beat Arsenal at Highbury.

wolverhampton baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 07:16:10 PM »
Michael Forsyth was very highly regarded young centre back early 80's for us but it never happened for him
Born and bred in Dudley

johnthebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 07:32:25 AM »
Michael Appleton was looking good till he got injured in training and never came back. Also Adam Oliver was injured very early on, he was a good prospect as well.

Ogwani

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 08:45:24 AM »

---
Me and my dad always thought he looked like he had the raw potential, it was obvious he was too lightweight for the position we played him in and in fact the rest of our squad was too weak to support him. If we had Valero in the team we had now and played him in an attacking role then he'd probably be our best player - Spain just worked out better for him.

Don't know what Chris Lepkowski's on about saying Valero IS a holding midfield type player, he's not at all...

labaggies

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 09:19:35 AM »

I was talking to Martin Bennett about 12 months ago in Sutton Coldfield, he looked very well and told me that he had been living in Ireland.
Penny Arcade.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 11:05:19 AM »
Three that spring to mind are Ian Collard,Danny Hegan and Jason Koumas.All had natural ability all were lazy and disinterested.

Koumas is imo one of the most gifted of players we have had,but he didn't have the mental attitude that seperates the good from the greats.

Poisonous_Squirrel

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 10:22:48 PM »
---
Me and my dad always thought he looked like he had the raw potential, it was obvious he was too lightweight for the position we played him in and in fact the rest of our squad was too weak to support him. If we had Valero in the team we had now and played him in an attacking role then he'd probably be our best player - Spain just worked out better for him.

Don't know what Chris Lepkowski's on about saying Valero IS a holding midfield type player, he's not at all...

I don't think CL ever said that in fairness. He has said he's more of a deep lying playmaker which is closer to the truth than those who say he's an attacking midfielder. He's actually played mostly as an orthodox central midfield regista for Villarreal this season.

The problem with Valero, as others have already pointed out, was Greening. Understandable at the time given Jonno was the captain and Borja was adapting, but really he's the sort of player who needs to be afforded the keys to the team to bring out the best in him.

samthebag

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 08:46:46 AM »
Lee Marshall broke his leg whilst on loan at Hull i think? and that ended his career. For Thomas Gaardsoe, did we have an option to take him back once he started playing again? Could've been no worse than some defenders we've had the past couple of seasons, even if he came back half the player he was at his peak!