Author Topic: Under 23's / Academy Thread  (Read 649928 times)

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

Re: Under 23's / Academy Thread
« Reply #1475 on: January 02, 2020, 12:04:45 PM »
Edwards deserves his chance, but don't forget he really performed at the lower level and was part of a play off final team.  With Ferguson, Slav obviously spotted something in training that made him sit up and take notice and he was happy to put him straight in.    I expected to see more of the kids play a part his year, but then my expectation was that this would be a rebuilding period and I was hoping to be in contention for play-offs come Christmas.  We then carried out some fantastic recruitment and a top two team in this division cannot carry any kids - even Edwards blows hot and cold, really struggling on his starts.  For me, as much as i would like to see them come through the likes of Field and Leko found their level at Charlton and it may eventually be the same for Edwards.   It would be unusual for a top two team to have more than one or two home grown in the team and if we do reach the PL getting ANY players from the academy in the squad even is a real result. 

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1476 on: January 02, 2020, 04:42:06 PM »
Edwards deserves his chance, but don't forget he really performed at the lower level and was part of a play off final team.  With Ferguson, Slav obviously spotted something in training that made him sit up and take notice and he was happy to put him straight in.    I expected to see more of the kids play a part his year, but then my expectation was that this would be a rebuilding period and I was hoping to be in contention for play-offs come Christmas.  We then carried out some fantastic recruitment and a top two team in this division cannot carry any kids - even Edwards blows hot and cold, really struggling on his starts.  For me, as much as i would like to see them come through the likes of Field and Leko found their level at Charlton and it may eventually be the same for Edwards.   It would be unusual for a top two team to have more than one or two home grown in the team and if we do reach the PL getting ANY players from the academy in the squad even is a real result.
What on earth is that supposed to mean ?
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1477 on: January 02, 2020, 04:51:54 PM »
What on earth is that supposed to mean ?

None are good enough for where we want to be.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1478 on: January 02, 2020, 05:23:14 PM »

While I agree that I think Edwards natural home is at a club in Charlton’s position, i’m Not sure about the view that top championship clubs can’t play academy players.

Norwich last year had Godfrey, Lewis, Cantwell and Aarons all as regulars while Leeds regularly played Peacock-Farrell, Shackleton, Roberts, Clarke and Phillips (22 at the start of the season) while giving a few other kids around 6 appearances each.

It can be done if you develop the kids correctly at post academy level.
Boing Boing

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1479 on: January 02, 2020, 06:58:48 PM »

None are good enough for where we want to be.
That's as maybe, but they may have been good enough for where we are now. I was referring to the lack of respect for Charlton who we could not beat at home.
Too many on here to quick to write off our young players.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1480 on: January 02, 2020, 07:48:02 PM »
My auntie, Lil Green who lived on Stone Cross she Logged a few of the Albion boys Hasa Harford was one.
Believe her house backed on to my granddads
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1481 on: January 03, 2020, 10:13:05 PM »
Think Slav obviously rates Edwards and it's good to see him getting some chances. I guess he's still making up ground from a couple of lengthy injury setbacks a couple of years ago including 9 months out with a knee injury. He does have the ability to shift it quickly and get a shot off with either foot, as with the chance he manufactured in a congested box late on against Leeds. He also has pace. If we get to the prem, we are unlikely to splash the cash to the extent of getting multiple high value/quality signings and with this year under his belt I would hope that Edwards would be a match day squad regular as he is this year.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1482 on: January 06, 2020, 09:51:17 PM »
4-2 win vs Reading tonight in the under 23s. 2 goals apiece for Rayhan Tulloch and Chris Willock takes us to third (I think).
Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1483 on: January 06, 2020, 09:57:23 PM »
Yes we are 3rd below Man Utd and West Ham. Good turnaround considering losing 2-0 at halftime.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 10:25:54 PM by gazberg »

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1484 on: January 06, 2020, 10:21:11 PM »
4-2 win vs Reading tonight in the under 23s. 2 goals apiece for Rayhan Tulloch and Chris Willock takes us to third (I think).

Did anyone actually see Chris Willock or is he just a Keyser Sosay myth?

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1485 on: January 06, 2020, 10:35:08 PM »

;D ;D ;D

It is a really odd situation isn’t it. Apart from the snippets we got earlier in the winter from the local press, we have heard very little of what is going on with him. He is performing really well in the reserves, scoring goals and getting assists at will but we have so far not used him, haven’t released him, Benfica haven’t recalled him to send him elsewhere and yet we show no signs of trying to sign him permanently to remove whatever clause it is that seems to be stopping him being given the chance he deserves.

Maybe we will get an answer soon. Seems a bit of a waste of a season for him.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 12:17:08 AM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1486 on: January 07, 2020, 12:03:45 AM »

Bilic had him warming up extensively, I'm convinced he'd have been on for 20 minutes had we managed to get that elusive 2nd goal, with rumours of a fee per appearance loan, no point in bringing him on at the very end to use up time. No qualms with his use or lack of, at this stage.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1487 on: January 07, 2020, 12:58:14 PM »
.... with rumours of a fee per appearance loan, no point in bringing him on at the very end to use up time. No qualms with his use or lack of, at this stage.

Bang on the money.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1488 on: January 07, 2020, 09:57:15 PM »
Been to watch them tonight in the cup v Middlesbrough. We won 4-1.

Despite the emphatic scoreline I wasn't overly impressed to be honest. Boro were the better team first half then forgot how to defend second half. The scoreline flattered us.

Best player on the pitch was our number 4, central midfielder called Toby King. I thought we was superb and has a lot to his game. He played left of the two central midfielders in a 4-2-3-1 and he very much reminded me of Gareth Barry the way he plays. He;s intelligent, uses the ball really well, can ping it long or short, will play forward and he doesn't need a touch to execute a pass. He can tackle, works hard, works back well and always ready to receive the ball and looks a really good prospect.

The lad next to him Jamie Andrews has potential too. He's a tall lad, good passer of the ball and puts a shift in. He receives the ball really well his touch takes takes him into space and creates a yard.

Fin Thorndike tries to do too much constantly. Jovan Malcolm is a strong lad but he's not dominant in the air, he's not blisteringly quick, I expected a bit more from him. Should've scored when clean through, tried to lob the keeper, failed.

The lad on the right side of the three behind Malcolm scored two goals, Tom Fellows is his name, there's a bit of promise there.

Josh Griffiths is decent with his handling but his distribution is poor.

The rest of them weren't up to much. The two lads at centre back, dear me. Harry Williams and Caleb Taylor, they have massive improvement to make if either of them are going to make the grade.

Andrews and King the ones to keep an eye on, particularly King, very impressed with him.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1489 on: January 10, 2020, 02:22:20 PM »
Max Melbourne has joined Lincoln City on a permanent deal after being there on loan this season

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1490 on: January 10, 2020, 03:14:46 PM »
Max Melbourne has joined Lincoln City on a permanent deal after being there on loan this season
congrats and good luck Max

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1491 on: January 10, 2020, 04:03:40 PM »
All the best Max, :)
keep your feet on the ground & your ears open.

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1492 on: January 13, 2020, 08:18:30 PM »
Under 23 winning 3-0 at Sunderland. Tulloch has scored 2 so far - 48 minutes gone.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1493 on: January 13, 2020, 08:29:46 PM »
Under 23 winning 3-0 at Sunderland. Tulloch has scored 2 so far - 48 minutes gone.

I think Appleton is a Lincoln, so I hope we have clause in this contract like the roofe one in case he comes good.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1494 on: January 13, 2020, 08:31:12 PM »
I think Appleton is a Lincoln, so I hope we have clause in this contract like the roofe one in case he comes good.

What have Lincoln got to do with this?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

sammyg

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1495 on: January 13, 2020, 08:46:10 PM »
4-0 now, Azaz with the goal

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1496 on: January 13, 2020, 08:48:49 PM »
What have Lincoln got to do with this?

Melbourne has gone to Lincoln, nothing to do with tonight's game mind you.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1497 on: January 14, 2020, 08:40:31 AM »
sorry I was not looking further up the thread and got quite confused !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1498 on: January 24, 2020, 10:24:51 PM »
Good news that Dara O'Shea has penned a new 3 and half year deal.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1499 on: January 25, 2020, 11:40:34 AM »
Good news that Dara O'Shea has penned a new 3 and half year deal.

Even a topic about him  ;)

http://westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=24158.0