Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2349351 times)

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #750 on: June 28, 2015, 02:45:59 PM »
I'd like to investment to get rid of that stupid metal either side of the east stand and to put a new tear on the halfords; that aside can't see a new owner bringing much of an upside.  What we should be looking to is to lower the match-day ticket prices (not the season tickets which are fine) to sell the ground out and to expand the fan base. We need to grow the club to a 30k to 35k base not the current 25k. Makes no sense at the moment that we sell out in category c games and have gaps when the big clubs come to town. In the long term the club needs to be self-sufficient; we cannot expect a billionaire to throw money in for the sake of it and the rules don't allow it. Interesting couple of months anyway with the takeover rumours and transfer market. Peace's biggest responsibility is not to sell us off to a mercenary for his own gain.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #751 on: June 28, 2015, 02:53:21 PM »
your great friends words not mine TOP TEN TEAM IN FIVE YEARS

And if I'm not mistaken under JP were we not a top 10 side?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #752 on: June 28, 2015, 03:00:24 PM »
Peace has said he won't sell us off unless it is for the good of the club.

We will have to trust him on that one. But this club does need an owner with more financial clout or a big investor.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #753 on: June 28, 2015, 03:02:44 PM »
Peace HAS done well for us. Past tense. You can't live in the past in football, ask the wolves fans. The game is about now, and right now Mr Peace hasn't got the know how or financial clout to see us progress where it really matters...on the pitch.
I have never gone to the Hawthorns to have a look at the books.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #754 on: June 28, 2015, 03:42:39 PM »
Your mate told us when he took us over that we would be a top ten team with in five years

Where or when has he ever said that?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #755 on: June 28, 2015, 04:14:09 PM »
I think he made comments along those lines when he took over Liam, and also said he would expand the Hawthorns. He has actually shrunk it. I have been on when the place was heaving.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #756 on: June 28, 2015, 04:36:38 PM »
your great friends words not mine TOP TEN TEAM IN FIVE YEARS

You haven't answered my question, just tried to change the subject. I'll just assume you know I'm correct.

And why are you shouting Paulo?
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #757 on: June 28, 2015, 05:28:25 PM »
What has itk know people said? Are we likely to be told anything this week.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #758 on: June 28, 2015, 05:48:55 PM »
I'm not sure what people are expecting, we will always be one of 13 clubs that could get relegated. First job is always 40pts and then everything else is a bonus depending on form / injuries. No new owner can change that. You can finish 10th one year and 17th the next. I reckon Stoke are doing to drop like a stone this season as they forgotten how to keep clean sheets and lost Moses. Look at Evertons struggle last season.

RedHead_Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #759 on: June 28, 2015, 05:57:30 PM »
What has itk know people said? Are we likely to be told anything this week.

Nobody seems to know anything.

I can't see anything happening anytime soon. There will probably be an update on the website next week along the lines of 'There just wasn't end enough time to conclude the deal and we need to ensure plans for next season aren't disrupted'.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #760 on: June 28, 2015, 07:01:25 PM »
The fact that some people are blindly oblivious to the things Peace has done at this club gives me very little hope for whoever replaces him.

The 'he never spends his own money' argument is the most economically and logically void thing I've ever heard. To criticise a Chairman for not using their own money for club related matters is hilariously ignorant of how businesses work. We aren't a start-up company for goodness sake.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #761 on: June 28, 2015, 07:19:45 PM »
The fact that some people are blindly oblivious to the things Peace has done at this club gives me very little hope for whoever replaces him.

The 'he never spends his own money' argument is the most economically and logically void thing I've ever heard. To criticise a Chairman for not using their own money for club related matters is hilariously ignorant of how businesses work. We aren't a start-up company for goodness sake.
But you do normally pay for a non-startup business you acquire... Unless you behave like a venture capitalist.

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #762 on: June 28, 2015, 07:29:07 PM »
After all the talking and the optimism / wariness about a potential buyer I hope it all doesn't just fizzle out next week.

I agree that Peace has done a good job overall for us, whilst making glaring mistakes that almost spelt disaster last season and could have this. It is time for a change.

At the moment it just seems like nothing is happening or going our way, transfer wise we seem to be missing the boat and just not cutting it,  Boaz leaving would be a backward step for us.

We just seem to be spluttering along at the moment, but that could all change I suppose with a marquee signing and a Chinese owner, but im not holding my breath.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #763 on: June 28, 2015, 08:58:00 PM »
But you do normally pay for a non-startup business you acquire... Unless you behave like a venture capitalist.

He's a businessman who has acquired the club legally, just as anyone else purchases a company, regardless of where the funds came from. Once they've acquired a business they use revenue produced by the company to further the business. Some chairmen have the money to buy a club outright using money they've made in previous businesses. How he does personal business, providing it's legal is of absolutely no relevance to the club and it's fans. He's taken a large wage but there are several tens of millions more brought into the club than before he started, and that money will stay in the club when he sells it.

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #764 on: June 28, 2015, 09:10:58 PM »
Could be worse it could be Trev the shed :o ;D

JoRo

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #765 on: June 28, 2015, 09:22:26 PM »
Your mate told us when he took us over that we would be a top ten team with in five years

What makes him Chipperfan's "mate? Or his "great friend" for that matter? Plus, having spent time looking online, I cannot see where he promised to make us a top ten side within five years- care to share?

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #766 on: June 28, 2015, 09:35:57 PM »
I made a similar post about 1-2 weeks ago, basically I feel that it's getting to the point where it's becoming an issue, and with every day that passes closer to the new season, I think this 'deal' is becoming more negative for all involved.

It's now 6 weeks to the starting fixture, I think it's naive at this point to say that it's not going to affect stuff like transfers/stability at this moment.

BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #767 on: June 28, 2015, 09:38:01 PM »

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #768 on: June 28, 2015, 10:36:49 PM »
Seeing that and he plans to buy three more sports clubs, i'm not so sure i would want him.

We coud become just a nursery club.

bangkokbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #769 on: June 29, 2015, 05:57:17 AM »
What's the gut feeling on whether a decision one way or the other will definitely be made this week? I think if it is any longer it will interfere with pre-season and possibly irk Pulis.

BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #770 on: June 29, 2015, 07:08:44 AM »
What's the gut feeling on whether a decision one way or the other will definitely be made this week? I think if it is any longer it will interfere with pre-season and possibly irk Pulis.

I think in the end nothings going to happen. I just feel if things were close, club take ages to announce something. We would have heard if it's happening.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #771 on: June 29, 2015, 07:44:51 AM »

In the absence of any concrete news we are just guessing. We know that 3 possible buyers undertook due diligence which given that this would involve incurring significant costs on professional fees there is serious intent on the part of the potential bidders.

The due diligence process was completed at the beginning of this month if at that stage none of the bidders were interested we get an announcement to the effect that Peace is not selling. Obviously we know that discussions are on going with at least one of the potential buyers but equally I believe all of them had signed up to buying the club on a business as usual basis, i.e. none of them were proposing making sweeping changes to the way the club is run nor the personnel involved.

Plainly there are plans in place for this window given that we have been actively pursuing Ba and that would be the most expensive signing we would be making regardless of any change in ownership I think it is fair to say the ownership issue is not presenting any practical issues with regard to the day to day operations at the club.

In short there is no reason for Pulis to be irked and frankly the future ownership of the club is far more important than the Head Coach being irked even to the point of flouncing out as he did at Palace. That said I don't believe it will drag on much longer there must come a point where a final offer is made and it is accepted or rejected.       
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #772 on: June 29, 2015, 07:53:48 AM »
Let's face it, unless the person buying the club has bought a club before, don't expect some miraculous changes around the club next season anyway. If buyers are doing due diligence (yes I know it's a common business practice and not doing so would be stupid) then they certainly don't have the funds to turn us into Manchester City. Someone with billions to spend (the Chinese guy being touted around for example) could effectively skim our accounts if he's got money to burn.

I'll put it out there that anyone excited we'll be performing expensive miracles needs to check that at the door before the season starts.

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #773 on: June 29, 2015, 08:26:39 AM »
Let's face it, unless the person buying the club has bought a club before, don't expect some miraculous changes around the club next season anyway. If buyers are doing due diligence (yes I know it's a common business practice and not doing so would be stupid) then they certainly don't have the funds to turn us into Manchester City. Someone with billions to spend (the Chinese guy being touted around for example) could effectively skim our accounts if he's got money to burn.

I'll put it out there that anyone excited we'll be performing expensive miracles needs to check that at the door before the season starts.

i'm sorry to disagree but billionaires didn't make their money by not having good business acumen and sense, they certainly don't burn their money. If that were the case Manchester City and Chelsea would out bid any other club in the world (Barcelona, Real Madrid, PSG any number of Russian, Ukrainian, Chinese Clubs  etc.) to buy ever player they want irrespective of ever playing them :(

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #774 on: June 29, 2015, 10:33:39 AM »
How he does personal business, providing it's legal is of absolutely no relevance to the club and it's fans.

Try telling that to the fans who's shares Peace undervalued and bought.  Try telling Blackburn and Wolves fans there was nothing special about Walker and Hayward.  Of course the business strategies of chairmen are relevant to both the club and fans.

I'm not saying Peace has done anything legally wrong, but he saw an opportunity to make money out of West Brom and boy has he taken it.  I believe that our relative success is a side effect of Peace maximising the value of his asset.

One other question in relation to this sale.  At some point during the break-up and restructuring of the various WBA companies I seem to remember being told the ground, and other adjacent properties being put in a separate company from the football club, whilst a further company was formed to hold the various city centre (and other) residential properties that the club had bought (is the London office rented?).  Anyone know the truth of this, and whether all off the various companies are packaged up in this sale?  (Or will JP still have a property portfolio in his back pocket?)