Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2348534 times)

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2015, 05:44:57 PM »
Tony Hale was a former chairman

Bob

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #126 on: February 27, 2015, 03:55:10 PM »
Apologies, yes, it was Geoff Hale who sold just over 1000 shares.

mifos

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #127 on: March 13, 2015, 10:19:21 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31838296

I wonder If Mr Peace has his number ; he seems to have enough money ... not sure I like the thought though, quite proud of the fact that whatever we achieve it has been without the help of a rich benefactor.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #128 on: March 13, 2015, 11:45:05 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31838296

I wonder If Mr Peace has his number ; he seems to have enough money ... not sure I like the thought though, quite proud of the fact that whatever we achieve it has been without the help of a rich benefactor.

Not sure that Sunseeker yachts & West Bromwich Albion are that good a fit, but he's definitely the type of investor we need.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #129 on: March 13, 2015, 01:59:56 PM »
Nah, we are more hoseasons than sunseeker

"sailboats, canalboats and cruisers too"
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #130 on: March 14, 2015, 10:38:48 PM »
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/mar/13/crystal-palace-takeover-nearing-completion-josh-harris

£90m for Palace (for an 85% stake)

I haven't got the info to do a direct comparison but a similar sized club, albeit Palace have more debt and usually make losses before transfer sales

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2015, 12:15:21 PM »
From The Sun apparantely (thought The Sun had packed in ? )
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #132 on: March 29, 2015, 12:41:44 PM »
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/mar/13/crystal-palace-takeover-nearing-completion-josh-harris

£90m for Palace (for an 85% stake)

I haven't got the info to do a direct comparison but a similar sized club, albeit Palace have more debt and usually make losses before transfer sales

Palace nowhere near as bigger club as the Baggies.

stokelad84

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2015, 12:44:42 PM »
£120million sounds about right to me. Aston Villa (larger stadium and more established infrastructure?) are close to agreeing a £150million deal according to The Mirror:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-sale-uk-based-group-5419185

Sticking with Pulis and his staff shows they have some knowledge of English football too. It would be easy for the new owner(s) to come in and want a Gus Poyet or a Paolo Di Canio at the helm. Backing Pulis shows me they want stability and continuity which will be good for your club. Money spent removing the current coaching staff and hiring a new team would leave less money in the transfer budget.

charliemike

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2015, 01:43:16 PM »
I'll believe when I see it

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2015, 02:28:53 PM »
I would be concerned if we were sold, at best we'd be getting someone who wants a symbiotic relationship with the club like Peace has, but would they do as well as him? It took him a good few years to learn. At worst you could get an asset stripper come in.

The clubs in a pretty good shape at the moment, instability can only be bad.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2015, 06:53:50 PM »
Very sceptical about any story in the Sun but the price would be about right. The last few deals talked about i.e. Swansea, Palace and Villa would put a price of around £100 to £150m on a mid to lower table Premier Club and that feels about right.

There are differences in potential and what property the club's own but essentially it boils down to buying a piece of the second biggest sporting  media rights contract in World sports the Americans understand that and hence their interest in English football. What they tend to overlook is relegation and how much of a club's resources have to be deployed to avoid that.

Generally football club's with the possible exception of Blackpool have not been asset stripped they generally fail because of over ambition and incompetence.  In theory new owners could sell off the playing staff and replace with cheaper players banking a short term profit but at the risk of forgoing the future revenue from the Premier League contract.

Any sane business model has to be based on the very minimum of Premier League survival, in order to be a successful business the club has to attract and retain the players capable of staying in the Division. Any owner paying a £100m for the club would understand this but whether they would have the know how and competence is a different matter all together.

I await developments with interest and a certain amount of trepidation
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2015, 08:18:48 PM »
Far more important than the identity of the buyer is the identity of the people who they appoint to actually run the club on a day to day basis. Some foreign buyers of clubs have installed complete clowns, and everything then falls apart.

I would hope that any new buyer insists that Peace stays on for an agreed period.    I think Peace has always said that he would be circumspect about who he sells to, so let's hope he gets it right.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2015, 08:25:19 PM »
Hope its not true.

A buyer keeping Peace as chairman would be the best scenario if JP did sell but I like things the way they are.
"This crack is really moreish."

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2015, 08:29:37 PM »
Peace wants to go so a sale is inevitable whether soon or years down the line.

He has done a great job, built us up to what we are today but he can't take us any further.

Personally I view a potential sale as a positive.  Under Peace I think that 8th place finish is as good as it gets.  Under a new owner we COULD move onto the next level and for me that's more positive than knowing we WONT.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2015, 08:38:17 PM »
Peace wants to go so a sale is inevitable whether soon or years down the line.

He has done a great job, built us up to what we are today but he can't take us any further.

Personally I view a potential sale as a positive.  Under Peace I think that 8th place finish is as good as it gets.  Under a new owner we COULD move onto the next level and for me that's more positive than knowing we WONT.
How do we improve from here while staying in the boundaries of FFP? The investor can't do anything as FFP forbids him/her/them from just pumping money in so we rely on our own revenue sources... which we do already.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #141 on: March 29, 2015, 08:40:48 PM »
Im nervous about it because a new owner can also be counter productive but Im confident Peace will make the right decision about the motives of a new owner.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #142 on: March 29, 2015, 09:39:33 PM »
How do we improve from here while staying in the boundaries of FFP? The investor can't do anything as FFP forbids him/her/them from just pumping money in so we rely on our own revenue sources... which we do already.

Not correct.  An investor can pump in money but it has to be as capital, not debt, while the total wage bill still needs to remain within the permitted limit as a percentage of revenue.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2015, 01:16:37 AM »
Not correct.  An investor can pump in money but it has to be as capital, not debt, while the total wage bill still needs to remain within the permitted limit as a percentage of revenue.

The club is possibly subject to three sets of "FFP" regulations and one way or another they absolutely kill the sugar daddy model.

Premier League regulations permit up to £30m  loss if covered by equity investment or £15m if funded by debt. and wage growth funded by TV revenues capped at £4m

UEFA Losses capped at 15m euro's with equity investment or just 5m euros  if covered by debt there are some exceptions such as money spent on Youth development and stadium improvements  but generally they are tougher than the Premier League ones.

Championship £8m loss with equity investment £3m without.

Firstly £30m lavished on any mid table team would hardly take them to the brink of the  Champions League  particularly if it was not backed up by wages. Even if it did the club could find it's path to European competition barred by UEFA ffp.

Secondly if relegated the club would be hamstrung by the Championship regulations which is a fate that awaits QPR.

Whoever is the Albion's new owner is I would not expect them to throw millions at the club in a vainglorious attempt to propel the club towards the upper echelons of the European game, that moment has passed. Man City and PSG were the last of the sugar daddy projects. From now on in it is serious investors with an eye on the bottom line who will be the typical Premier League Club owners.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2015, 06:46:06 AM »
The club is possibly subject to three sets of "FFP" regulations and one way or another they absolutely kill the sugar daddy model.

Premier League regulations permit up to £30m  loss if covered by equity investment or £15m if funded by debt. and wage growth funded by TV revenues capped at £4m

UEFA Losses capped at 15m euro's with equity investment or just 5m euros  if covered by debt there are some exceptions such as money spent on Youth development and stadium improvements  but generally they are tougher than the Premier League ones.

Championship £8m loss with equity investment £3m without.

Firstly £30m lavished on any mid table team would hardly take them to the brink of the  Champions League  particularly if it was not backed up by wages. Even if it did the club could find it's path to European competition barred by UEFA ffp.

Secondly if relegated the club would be hamstrung by the Championship regulations which is a fate that awaits QPR.

Whoever is the Albion's new owner is I would not expect them to throw millions at the club in a vainglorious attempt to propel the club towards the upper echelons of the European game, that moment has passed. Man City and PSG were the last of the sugar daddy projects. From now on in it is serious investors with an eye on the bottom line who will be the typical Premier League Club owners.

Agreed.   There is no point in chasing the dream.  The realistic main objective is to make us less likely to be involved in a relegation battle.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2015, 12:05:34 PM »
Agreed.   There is no point in chasing the dream.  The realistic main objective is to make us less likely to be involved in a relegation battle.

Then I have to say how f****** boring is it going to be to be an Albion fan for the foreseeable.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #146 on: March 30, 2015, 12:17:04 PM »

Then I have to say how f****** boring is it going to be to be an Albion fan for the foreseeable.

They're right. It is what it is I'm afraid.
Look how long the likes of Wigan, Bolton, Fulham, Charlton hung around seeking mid table mediocrity before the owners start reducing the funding.
Unless we can buck the trend best we can hope for is a top half finish and/or a good cup run.
The owners couldn't give a hoot if your bored or not, so long as they get their TV rights money every year thats the ambition for 15 clubs in the Prem every year
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2015, 12:21:40 PM »
They're right. It is what it is I'm afraid.
Look how long the likes of Wigan, Bolton, Fulham, Charlton hung around seeking mid table mediocrity before the owners start reducing the funding.
Unless we can buck the trend best we can hope for is a top half finish and/or a good cup run.
The owners couldn't give a hoot if your bored or not, so long as they get their TV rights money every year thats the ambition for 15 clubs in the Prem every year

I know - they are spot on.  Its the reason why so many fans are fed up with football.  Boredom of the fans will mean gates will drop.  Fans want enjoyment.

stokelad84

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2015, 12:22:45 PM »
That's got to be the realistic goal kris_boing. The gap between the Premier League and The Championship will get larger and larger over the next few seasons. It's best to be the part with the have instead of part of the have not.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #149 on: March 30, 2015, 02:13:16 PM »
That's got to be the realistic goal kris_boing. The gap between the Premier League and The Championship will get larger and larger over the next few seasons. It's best to be the part with the have instead of part of the have not.

I agree totally.

You only have to look at this season to see that the teams coming up are all likely to go straight back down.

The gap is getting bigger, and the Championship is becoming harder to get out of.

I would prefer to be in the Premier league mid table gang, than in the Championship any day.