Author Topic: James Morrison  (Read 444156 times)

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

Re: James Morrison
« Reply #1975 on: February 10, 2019, 05:19:35 PM »
i wouldn’t walk away from a contract worth £15k a week for 12 months.

He'd probably pick up a knock walking away anyway

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1976 on: February 10, 2019, 08:33:24 PM »
Do we know if he has to make a certain number of appearances this season to activate the extra year i.e. even though the year is meant to be in his favour, does he still have to make a certain number of appearances before being able to exercise his preference ?

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1977 on: February 10, 2019, 09:56:04 PM »
Do we know if he has to make a certain number of appearances this season to activate the extra year i.e. even though the year is meant to be in his favour, does he still have to make a certain number of appearances before being able to exercise his preference ?
It wouldn't make any sense for the club to give him an extra year in his favour without making it dependent on appearances. That would be no different to a 2 year contract.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1978 on: February 10, 2019, 10:34:33 PM »
It wouldn't make any sense for the club to give him an extra year in his favour without making it dependent on appearances. That would be no different to a 2 year contract.
It's different from Morrison's viewpoint in that an extra year in his favour would mean he could walk away after 1 year if he wanted to but he couldn't if it was a straight 2 year deal.
Hopefully though as you say it will be appearance triggered (crazy if not).

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1979 on: February 10, 2019, 11:29:29 PM »
It's different from Morrison's viewpoint in that an extra year in his favour would mean he could walk away after 1 year if he wanted to but he couldn't if it was a straight 2 year deal.
Hopefully though as you say it will be appearance triggered (crazy if not).
Why would he want to do that? He wouldn't get a better deal anywhere else.

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1980 on: March 29, 2019, 10:35:05 PM »
Last game for us?
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1981 on: March 29, 2019, 10:42:16 PM »
Last game for us?

Just said on Twitter, didn't think he was that bad, looks worse that HRK on and the change in system improved us so much. Neither Brunt Livermore or Rodriguez could have complained if they'd got the hook at h/t.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1982 on: March 29, 2019, 11:02:04 PM »
Went off with an injury, felt his hamstring according to Shan

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1983 on: March 29, 2019, 11:10:03 PM »
Last game for us?

Hope so to the tune of time to say goodbye and thanks and goodbye.

One run in the first half and that was it, outpaced in every encounter. I only hope the 2 year contract he signed had the second year in our favour.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1984 on: March 29, 2019, 11:11:15 PM »
Hope so to the tune of time to say goodbye and thanks and goodbye.

One run in the first half and that was it, outpaced in every encounter. I only hope the 2 year contract he signed had the second year in our favour.

It didn't  ::)

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1985 on: March 30, 2019, 02:19:59 AM »
It saddens me to say it as I have generally liked him as a player over the years with us, but Mozza is now unfortunately a spent force and it doesn't appear that he can really add anything further for the team moving forward.

He breaks down far too often (tweaked hamstring again this eve) and has then been putting in low par performances to accompany that in between as well.

Give the man his testimonial or whatever the modern day equivalent of that is now in the off season to give him the send off he deserves, but i'm afraid it really is time to move on now.

Pulis would probably take him in a heartbeat at Boro (assuming he isn't lynched by their fans for not making the play offs if they fall just short in the next few weeks)
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1986 on: March 30, 2019, 03:04:23 AM »
We don't have the choice of letting him go at the end of the year. He decides whether he stays or not. Incredulous.

tlms-p23

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1987 on: March 30, 2019, 03:20:10 AM »
Totally disagree with the view that he's finished.

He was out of position, wide right in a flat 4. I still think he has something to offer in centre mid/attacking mid. It's been a decade since he's played on the wing for us.

More than 300 Premier League appearances for us and M'boro, has never relied on pace and I'd back him to pick a pass in the final third 9 times out of 10. In tight spaces he has always had a superb first touch and pops the ball off quickly and accurately. Utter tripe that he isn't worth a place in the squad.

Disregarding sentiment and nostalgia, he has a part to play next season irrespective of what division we are in. Perhaps not as a regular, granted, but he's still a very good footballer.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 03:27:29 AM by tlms-p23 »

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1988 on: March 30, 2019, 07:00:11 AM »
Once or twice he showed he is one of our few players who can turn his man and make space for others, but he did look pretty slow overall.  Its been said before, but he has never been quite the same player since his foot injury.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1989 on: March 30, 2019, 07:28:22 AM »
Can’t judge him on last night. It was ridiculous to play him on the wing.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1990 on: March 30, 2019, 07:36:28 AM »
Can’t judge him on last night. It was ridiculous to play him on the wing.

Agreed. It was a crazy and wrong team selection from Jimmy Shan. 4-4-2 first half didn't work at all and Shan got a bit lucky that Morrison was feeling a hamstring before the break so he (Shan) had to make a change.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1991 on: March 30, 2019, 08:01:45 AM »
He was played out of position on the right hand side. Too many judge players like brunt and Morrison when they are being played out of position.

On the ball and trying to make things happen I actually thought he was our best player first half. That’s not a huge compliment though as we was very poor.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1992 on: March 30, 2019, 06:20:49 PM »
Think it's beyond Morrison these days playing wide...but it's certainly not the first time he's been used there, fairly common sight 5 or  6 years ago. With his age and more to the point fitness these days he needs to be playing centrally where he can affect games without tearing about too much (back to the question of why was he given a new two year contract).

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1993 on: March 30, 2019, 06:38:13 PM »
He took the position of Kyle Edwards who did so well at Brentford. Ridiculous change
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1994 on: March 30, 2019, 09:11:25 PM »
playing wide, first game back, if we weren't in such a pressurised period, it would be a case of giving him a few games to get upto speed, the quality is there, BUT,  sadly the physical side isn't
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1995 on: April 02, 2019, 12:52:21 PM »
Totally disagree with the view that he's finished.

He was out of position, wide right in a flat 4. I still think he has something to offer in centre mid/attacking mid. It's been a decade since he's played on the wing for us.

More than 300 Premier League appearances for us and M'boro, has never relied on pace and I'd back him to pick a pass in the final third 9 times out of 10. In tight spaces he has always had a superb first touch and pops the ball off quickly and accurately. Utter tripe that he isn't worth a place in the squad.

Disregarding sentiment and nostalgia, he has a part to play next season irrespective of what division we are in. Perhaps not as a regular, granted, but he's still a very good footballer.

No doubting his previous worth to us - or his abilities.

He cannot stay fit and for that reason, whatever division, he needs to go.

It is no good having a player like Morrison on the books if he's going to spend most the weeks sitting with the fans..

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1996 on: April 02, 2019, 02:56:09 PM »
He was played out of position on the right hand side. Too many judge players like brunt and Morrison when they are being played out of position.

On the ball and trying to make things happen I actually thought he was our best player first half. That’s not a huge compliment though as we was very poor.

We can't keep him fit, he went off apparently because he was carrying an injury.
If we can replace him at the end of the season then that is what we should do.
I'm one of his biggest fans and will be sorry to see him go.
Both him and Brunt have been great servants to this club but lets not kid ourselves, they've been paid very well for it.
Morrison was ready to go a few seasons back but stayed because we offered more money not for his love of the club.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1997 on: April 02, 2019, 03:12:29 PM »
I cannot believe, even as pooh as our board are, that we gave a fading, injury prone player an extension that allows HIM to dictate whether he gets an extension or not regardless of minutes played. Absolutely appalling.

we8seals

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1998 on: April 02, 2019, 03:15:02 PM »
Sadly has been a busted flush for two or three seasons. Was once a very good player for us but should never have been offered the latest contract extension. Just one of many awful recruitment decisions in recent years.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1999 on: April 02, 2019, 09:36:36 PM »
If someone has agreed to contract Morrison for another year, then pay the contract up, and get rid. This nonsense has gone on long enough.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride