Author Topic: Mr Carson  (Read 27236 times)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

Re: Mr Carson
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2011, 12:34:24 AM »
Of course i can have an opinion, i've seen weekly highlights and the odd game where he's made great saves and hardly any mistakes.  Are you trying to say that you have to watch a team/player week in week out ?, don't be silly.  Bergovic is a great keeper, who i doubt will be at stoke for much longer.  Anyone with a bit of football knowledge knows that.

You're the one saying how good Begovic has been from only watching weekly highlights. So how do you know how often he kicks the ball out like he did tonight ? for all we know he might do it regular.

All I said was he did it and didn't get slated by his own fans.

I couldn't give a toss how good Begovic is and won't until he ever joins our club, until he does (if) then he's another player who means nothing to me.

I'd rather back the bloke who IS in our team especially when its deserved like tonight.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Mike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011, 12:42:31 AM »
You're the one saying how good Begovic has been from only watching weekly highlights. So how do you know how often he kicks the ball out like he did tonight ? for all we know he might do it regular.

All I said was he did it and didn't get slated by his own fans.

I couldn't give a toss how good Begovic is and won't until he ever joins our club, until he does (if) then he's another player who means nothing to me.

I'd rather back the bloke who IS in our team especially when its deserved like tonight.

You've answered your own question.  Bergovic did it and wasn't booed/slated, why?, because it was a one off.  He might make a mistake now and again, but generally his perfomances is great.  Similar to Mulumbu, he makes a mistake now again, but gets no where near the criticism someone else would for making the same mistake because more often than not he is brilliant. 

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2011, 12:44:47 AM »
I don't watch Stoke so don't have any idea how often he does but the point is still being missed.

So he kicked a ball out of play a couple of times, wooppeee do. He had a good game but lets STILL look at a couple of dodgy kicks and ignore the rest.

Mike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2011, 12:47:43 AM »
I don't watch Stoke so don't have any idea how often he does but the point is still being missed.

So he kicked a ball out of play a couple of times, wooppeee do. He had a good game but lets STILL look at a couple of dodgy kicks and ignore the rest.

He did have a good solid game.  If he played like that more often, over a length of time, he could afford the odd clanger and no once would get on his back. 

Rich99

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2011, 12:56:29 AM »
Some people still can't jump off Carson's back can they!

And at the same time, some people just can't wait to get on it and try n hump him like some deranged demon.

Rich99

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2011, 12:58:50 AM »
Carson was a 7 out of ten at best today, does anyone really honestly believe he played a blinder?  He didn't, at best he did what would be expected of a Premiership keeper and that's bordering on kind.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2011, 01:04:17 AM »
Not seen one person say he had a blinder have you ?

He did what needed doing so whats the problem ?

Oh, he kicked the ball off the park a couple of times, hang the bloke.

We have two keepers both on a par with each other and tonight one got the nod over the other and did enough to keep the shirt on Saturday, Myhill last few games has done nothing wrong, couple of questions can be asked over goals conceded maybe but Hodgson obviously saw something that made him pick Carson tonight so how about people give the bloke a chance.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 01:07:58 AM by OldburyWBA »

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2011, 01:15:44 AM »
Didn't understand why he was picked but he played very well under a lot of pressure.

Rich99

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2011, 01:29:41 AM »
Not seen one person say he had a blinder have you ?

Yes, I came on here earlier seeing someone saying he was 'AMAZING' and a few other posts before that pretty much backing it up.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 01:36:06 AM by Rich99 »

Rich99

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2011, 01:34:25 AM »
Didn't understand why he was picked but he played very well under a lot of pressure.

He did OK, in my opinion, I wouldn't drop him for the next game myself based on today's performance.

However, myself, I wouldn't say, taking into account we are supposed to be Premiership standard, I wouldn't say he was particularly great nor covered himself in glory for the goal nor his kicking in the second half.

Stil, in my opinion, I think on the whole he did OK.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2011, 06:23:31 AM »
Bit twitchy last night, when I saw the line up with Carson and Meite in the side, but both had decent games.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2011, 07:59:03 AM »
Carson, like Meite had a good solid game today, came and punched a few in the first half.

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2011, 08:27:36 AM »
I take great delight in Carson coming back and playing well, one reason is because it really winds up some so called albion fans.

I love how someone has a go at him for leaving a free kick that he could see was allways over (I was in his line) but ignore the one he saved smartly!
I only go for the beer.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2011, 08:37:18 AM »
I wasnt sure about it when i saw his name pre match but he dealt with those throw ins really well.A few silly kicks but on the whole played well.Behind a decent side which keeps its shape he will be fine.As for the goal maybe could have done better but Fortune and especially Dorrans should have dealt with it first.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2011, 08:41:16 AM »
The wall for the Pennant free-kick though...not the greatest from the tv angle.

He/him

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2011, 09:24:17 AM »
his kicking in the 2nd half did my head in , 4 or 5 times kicked it right out for a stoke throwing .

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2011, 09:32:29 AM »
Sure Carson is left footed so the defenders didn't really help him by passing every ball back to his right foot.

Under the circumstances thought he did great tonight, after the undeserved abuse he gets to come in and deal with almost everything in the box at one of  the hardest places to do so is brilliant, just a shame he got let down by the defence for their goal is unfortunate.

Well lets put it this way if the moaners can only critisice him for not getting near a free kick that went over the bar then he must have had a good game  ;D

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2011, 09:43:07 AM »
Sure Carson is left footed so the defenders didn't really help him by passing every ball back to his right foot.

Under the circumstances thought he did great tonight, after the undeserved abuse he gets to come in and deal with almost everything in the box at one of  the hardest places to do so is brilliant, just a shame he got let down by the defence for their goal is unfortunate.

Well lets put it this way if the moaners can only critisice him for not getting near a free kick that went over the bar then he must have had a good game  ;D

Carson is right footed, takes all of his goal kicks, free kicks and kicks out of his hands with his right foot. In fairness all of his dodgy clearances came in the second half, down the end where Begovic also misplaced a couple of clearances so maybe that end was a worse surface than the other?

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2011, 09:44:43 AM »
dont really matter what foot he kicks with come on how hard is it to kick a ball down the pitch ???????????? thats the any gripe i had last night . he did have a good game came off his line a few times nice a quick so pleased for him .

boot2006

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2011, 09:46:41 AM »
It's up to Hodgson to pick who he deems best to play.

However, I think if he sticks with Carson that it will come back to haunt him.  There always seems a mistake waiting around the corner.

I hope i'm proved wrong, but I think this could be Roy's biggest mistake.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2011, 09:58:01 AM »
Wouldnt have brought Carson back in myslef dont rate him much as a keeper , his kicking is awful which again we saw last night , people on another thread said carsons kicing is normanly excellent they must watch a different keeper to me , his kicking is poor and has been all season.

About the goal , that 6 yard area is carsons [the goalkeepers area] he should command that area , any balls put in that area carson should attempt to claim but he sticks to his line.

Myhil is still the better keeper for me

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2011, 10:05:49 AM »
Wouldnt have brought Carson back in myslef dont rate him much as a keeper , his kicking is awful which again we saw last night , people on another thread said carsons kicing is normanly excellent they must watch a different keeper to me , his kicking is poor and has been all season.

About the goal , that 6 yard area is carsons [the goalkeepers area] he should command that area , any balls put in that area carson should attempt to claim but he sticks to his line.

Myhil is still the better keeper for me

Strange, i was talking to an ex prem footballer who has recently retired and asked him about this - he said a professionals viewpoint is that the keepers job is to save shots on the line, not come for crosses.

Plus that cross travelled a long way before hitting the area and should have been cut out.
I only go for the beer.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2011, 10:09:08 AM »
A happy Carson in goal is only good for our chance of staying in the prem.Well done Scott

boot2006

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2011, 10:15:03 AM »

Strange, i was talking to an ex prem footballer who has recently retired and asked him about this - he said a professionals viewpoint is that the keepers job is to save shots on the line, not come for crosses. Plus that cross travelled a long way before hitting the area and should have been cut out.

Not doubting that you spoke to someone, but that is complete nonsense.

Andio

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2011, 10:16:31 AM »
Regarding the goal, from a goalkeepers perspective this is by the way.

Not a lot he could do there, the ball came in with a fairly low trajectory, Delap was making it difficult for Carson.

Dorrans should have been stronger & more importantly goal side of Delap. Fortune didn't stand as a free man on the 6 yard box line  level with the near post. (Carson was telling him this after it went in, so I assume he had told him to do it before the corner & Fortune didn't do it for some reason)

As a goalkeeper I always have my forward back in the position Fortune should have been in to attack the ball.

It's simple.

Now I praised Carson before, then felt it was time he was dropped. I thought the rest & change of manager would do him him good & on last night's performance it looks to have.

It wasn't a perfect game by him but he did what was asked of him & we can't complain at that.

Well done Scotty!