Author Topic: 14 May 2019 Albion 1 Aston Villa 0 (Play Off 2nd Leg)  (Read 111409 times)

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #625 on: May 15, 2019, 08:14:08 AM »
It's going to be hard to get over this I hate the Vile so much just hope they get f**ked in the final.
 Can't fault the fans and the players effort last night it just wasn't meant to be for us we need to rebuild now.
 One small crumb of comfort is I don't think Kyle Bartley is the worst ever player to put on an Albion shirt like some people have been making out thought he's had two very good games in what has been the pressure cooker of the play offs.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #626 on: May 15, 2019, 08:33:28 AM »
Why oh why do we allow teams tlo come that close to our area?

Because our midfield is slow so retreats to our back line early leaving no-one to dispute the middle of the pitch (as below)?

As you say, but way before that (I am on about the past 3 seasons) we just kept retreating and giving away the ground to those who want to win games.
We can only score if we are in their half, and more than likely stop them scoring too.
Stop being the "cowardly lion" side and go for the jugular.

Also usual cowardly delay of substitutions until they have no chance of making a difference.  No worth in making a substitution as late as time wasting time.  Need a manager who believes in what he's doing and is not cowed by senior players.

Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #627 on: May 15, 2019, 08:35:24 AM »
Disappointed losing to the scum. No sorry they didn't beat us !  But not disappointed about not going up.  Were not ready.  Every player on that field gave their all last night and I am so proud of them and all our fans. The atmosphere was on a par with 1993 Swansea the only difference then we wasn't playing against the referee and a load of cheats.  I will be cheering Leeds on down the pub when they play the vile in the final and I don't give a s**t if there are Vile fans in there neither.   The vile are no good. If there players are any good why aren't they playing in the prem now !!!

Everybody keep the faith. We have now lost in 2 play offs in the championship ................   and the next season got promotion automatic on both occassions. 

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #628 on: May 15, 2019, 08:48:46 AM »
how anyone on here can say villa deserved that over 2 legs is beyond me. do not understand that at all.

over the 2 legs it was very close which is why it went to penalties, but suspensions and poor management inevitably cost us unfortunately. with just one fit striker we had to set up the way we did last night and didnt have much going forward despite especially second half being the better team.

we didnt fail over the 2 legs though, we have been failing for 18 months with pathetic decisions at board room level. giving Pulis too much time, appointing a complete idiot (Pardew), and giving a huge job to a very inexperienced manager (Moore) and then not appointing a suitable replacement.

we have to learn from our mistakes sooner rather than later.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #629 on: May 15, 2019, 08:49:17 AM »
The mighty Villa couldn’t score against us in 120 minutes last night (40 of those down to 10 men) and over the 2 games were in the lead for what 8 minutes? Had we had a full selection to choose from and had Gayle been available and not received a ridiculous sending off we’d have done them 3 or 4 last night. Fingers crossed there crying again at Wembley this year really is last chance saloon for them if they don’t go up McGinn & the rat are off and the’l be in some serious trouble over the financial fair play.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #630 on: May 15, 2019, 09:03:10 AM »
Extremely proud of the team this morning.

All we ever ask for is for our players to put a shift in and look like they care, they did exactly that last night and some of them looked absolutely dead on their feet.

Thought Hegazi was outstanding, has had Abraham in his pocket over the 2 legs. Also thought Bartley had a good game and looks more solid than he did start of the season.

The biggest disappointment for me was Murphy, he looks shot of confidence, there was a moment in the game where he had a 50/50 with one of their lads in the middle of the park, his chance to smash someone and get the fans behind him and he bottled it.

I know its now pointless but also thought Tosin looked quite good in the defensive midfield role. Leko didn't really give us much of an outlet, would have been better to throw Montero on.

We wont see a few of those in a WBA shirt again, but you can't say they didn't give it their all.

Man for man though, well done to the lads, I came away from the ground with a sense of pride rather than disappointment. This summer is going to be huge for the club, we have a new manager to get in and a rebuild of the squad. Just hope we pull our finger out and get some of it done early.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #631 on: May 15, 2019, 09:15:22 AM »
Have to be honest and say I felt immensely proud of the club as a whole last night.

This season has been an utter shambles that began with the appointment of Moore and ended in Jimmy Shan taking charge of a play semi final, and it could all have been so different had we made the right appointment to begin with, however, I will save all of that for an end of season review thread. Focusing solely on last night, the fans were absolutely amazing, the support throughout was beyond belief, even at times when I was flagging in the singing and gasping for water, I was spurred on by those around me and it was vociferous to the end. The seals, I felt, were embarrassing and I had forgotten that they were there until Abraham slotted home the final penalty.

Cruel really to lose in such a fashion. The big moments just did not go for us over the two legs, Brunt deserved to be sent off last night, but it all stemmed fro the only mistake Hegazi made all night (not counting the penalty) and so I find it hard to overly criticise either. It is such a shame that it was probably the last we will see of Ahmed who I feel has been superb for us since signing, an absolute mountain of a man.

11 v 11 I only saw one winner, but thereafter we had little or no hope, ending up with no penalty takers on the pitch. Tosin was superb when he came on and I would like to see us try and keep hold of him, Holgate and Gayle for next season. I was extremely disappointed with all of the front three who offered very little during the game and showed why the loss of Gayle was such a blow as Jay Rod just isn't in the same league I'm afraid.

Proud. It's all you can be of last night. We gave a good account of ourselves and were unlucky in the end, but we showed the nation how we can be as a football club and I imagine will have won a number of admirers in the process.

Also, keep the stadium announcer from last night. It's the first time I could hear what was being said over the tannoy.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #632 on: May 15, 2019, 09:27:10 AM »
I can't fault the player's effort and application last night. I'd just like to know where that 'thou shalt not pass' mentality was for most of the season. Too many points dropped as too many games passed us by.

The support from the stands was superb in the most part last night, far more so than deserved by Jenkins and Lai. Lions led by absolute fkn donkeys, hang your heads in shame the pair of you. Clueless, passionless muppets. WE ARE ALBION, not you. What's more is that you never will be.

COYB and SOTV 8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #633 on: May 15, 2019, 09:58:41 AM »

All that possession and you still could not best a depleted first team of 10 men for a chunk of the game.

See you next season in the Championship league.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #634 on: May 15, 2019, 09:59:12 AM »
Through gritted teeth, congrats McSkittle. Presume you hammered us on expected goals. Shan managed a strategy for the games. Given our deficiencies in the back line all season we had to tighten up. Happy to play on break at Villa Park and keep it tight and then with Rodriguez our only forward, we had no real out ball.

Probably right about Abraham. He barely laid a hand on us (unlike with the ball when he was trying to score). Our back three who have been torn apsrt regularly were pretty comfortable over the 210 minutes, 50 down a man and with one key player missing for another 40 odd minutes.

Think it was tight. Villa probably had morr quality on the pitch but were cagey themselves. Struggled with clear chances, with a penalty from the wing and a worldy shot which we left too much space for. Other than that, Johnstone only had one in close save to make.

We were more physical alright. Ye were.looking to go down and get on side of referee, which cost ye with Mings tumbling down against Rodriguez. Ye also had some gamesmanship with carrying the ball anytime we had a free or throw to.prevent a quick attack. Gayle first speaking to for.taking time with a throw came after Mings bought the ball in field letting Villa defence recover and then when we.looked to.readjust we effectively got penalised.

Littls between sides over the games and Villa quality at having decent set of penalty takers at end saw ye sneak through an even tie in my opinion.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #635 on: May 15, 2019, 10:03:40 AM »
I am utterly gutted at losing to the vile scum and to lose on penalties has made it ten times worse, but I aye come on here to moan about the players, the managers we have had, nor the board, not even the useless catering staff on the concourse of the East Stand. I aye even going to moan that there was no Bathams on sale last night.

I have come on here to say I was so proud of our fans last night, the atmosphere was brilliant,  aye seen it like that for many a year. 

ATID and as always SOTV
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #636 on: May 15, 2019, 10:11:11 AM »
Back 3 outstanding especially Hegazi and Dawson. Great header by Dawson for the goal.

I saw Shan having a chat to Harper and Leko before the penalties. I was thinking they were going to be in the line-up to take one. I would back at least Harper to take a decent penalty. With Shan having a word with them it wouldn't surprise me if they volunteered but weren't trusted - I'm speculating but it would fit our general club treatment of young players. 
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #637 on: May 15, 2019, 10:21:12 AM »
Penalties are a lottery and they won last night that's all.

I couldn't believe that Villa couldn't break down us down for 40mins when down to 10 men and with a depleted team full of kids. It doesn't bode well for them. They remind me of a poor mans Arsenal - lots of possession, easy on the eye but with very little end product. 

I think Villa fans might (again) find out they're not as good as they think they are sometime soon. This is a little secret which the rest of football knows of course!

A Wolves fan called me this morning to say he was gutted Villa won and that we looked far more dangerous and likely to score for most of the two games in spite of their possession - enough said!

Not popular Villa are they.........lacking in humility maybe - Lord knows why!!?

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 05:01:36 PM by darbolina »

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #638 on: May 15, 2019, 10:22:53 AM »
Not that it matters but if Villa play like that in the final, then they will be with us in the championship next year.

Take Grealish out that team and they are bang average.

On the penalties, I knew Holgate would miss after watching Steer walk next to him in his ear all the way to the spot.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #639 on: May 15, 2019, 10:25:43 AM »
A mix of emotions, the fans united for this game, did all they could, the players gave it everything and actually won the match.

However, as much as i appreciated the players effort (they really couldnt of done more in that sense) i am hopeful this is the last time we see a number of them.

Villa are a average side with a couple of standout players, they reflect their manager in how they act, he stood on the side gurning and whining looking like a wrong un, it started first leg and carried on last night, whenever you go near them they think they have a divine right to a free kick and even if they do or dont, they harrass the referee for more action (that said no complaints about the Brunt red card) Looking at social media this morning the vast majority of neutrals seem to of picked up on how Villa are and what a snidey niggly team they are.

However they are a better footballing side than us and with the exception of the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half, i felt they were the team over the 2 legs who had intent to win the game, my biggest gripe is still with 2nd half of the 1st leg when we could of got at them as they had run out of ideas but instead we played cowardly football.

Last night confirmed it was two teams who would get battered in the premier league as the quality is so poor, the difference being i think if Villa go up they will try and improve, i think had we gone up we would of tried to stick with what we had. However assuming Leeds get through and play anything like they can i dont think Villa will have to worry about the premier league next season.

A gallant effort from our lads in what hopefully is many farewell appearances.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #640 on: May 15, 2019, 10:25:55 AM »
Stop replying to him. Villa bugger not welcome here win, lose or draw.
Away fans ok in a debate as long as they behave.
We do know this poster didn't log on after our win at Villa Park so that tells you a story.
As ever with away fans , gets out of order they'll be gone.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 10:28:12 AM by Dexy »

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #641 on: May 15, 2019, 10:33:18 AM »
Well its the morning after the night before.
So proud of the players and fans last night, been a while since we had an atmosphere like that.
Brunty didn't cost us a place at Wembly, two poor transfer windows cost us that.
Not bringing in another striker and some legs in the middle of the park cost us last night and most of the season.
Brunty's challenge was rash, especially being on a yellow but you watch the replay and the reaction of the scum players. Straight in the refs face, led by pikey Jack.
I wouldn't blame any of the players last night we got behind them and they delivered.
We played 40 minutes last night with 10 men against the might of scum village.
I'm not dissapointed at all, but I will be if we don't appoint a proper manager and give him the tools to do a proper job.

They did the same Saturday, plenty of teams do it, we stand there and look gormless most of the time and get nothing.

Brunt was reckless all night, he got away with another one when he stamped on McGinn, seeing it back afterwards he was very lucky. He should have been the one calming others down.

But as you say he's not to blame for us not getting there, thats down to 3 suits.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #642 on: May 15, 2019, 11:22:22 AM »
I ain't fussed about not being in the greed league anyway, management and certain players massively underperforming all season. Brunt and Gayle cost us in these two games along with bizarre substitutions , discipline was shocking . We need a proper head coach. We will be in this league for many years to come. The old players need to go, still relying on Morrison and brunt ffs.
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #643 on: May 15, 2019, 11:27:58 AM »
I ain't fussed about not being in the greed league anyway, management and certain players massively underperforming all season. Brunt and Gayle cost us in these two games along with bizarre substitutions , discipline was shocking . We need a proper head coach. We will be in this league for many years to come. The old players need to go, still relying on Morrison and brunt ffs.

HRK also cost us with his stupid decision to get sent off against Derby.

Would have given us an outlet last night when replacing JayRod, as opposed to putting Leko up there to do nothing.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #644 on: May 15, 2019, 11:29:40 AM »
Appleton comes in 3 red cards in 3 games, coincidence?

I was thinking about the Pen order, I would be surprised if we had not practised them since we had qualified but the first 5 would of also included: Jay Rod, Phillips, Brunt, HRK, Johannson not on the pitch. Hegazi and Holgate might of had the best record as in training as well, The save for Hegazi penalty was quality, Holgate was an easier pen to save if the keeper goes the right way but not a lot wrong with it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 11:38:14 AM by BoingFlyer »

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #645 on: May 15, 2019, 11:31:14 AM »
To add to the decisions that went against us in the firsts leg, we had one go against us last night when we should have been awarded a penalty for handball in the box by El Gahzi early in the first half. How the linesman missed it god only knows, as bad a decision as the one not given against Abraham in the first leg.

Before the match started we were missing our best striker but we also had our second best attacking player (Phillips) not firing on all cylinders due to his lack of match fitness and having to be subbed half way through the second half for the second match running because of this. Johansen also had to come off seemingly injured and then of course we went down to 10 men with the loss of Brunt.

I have no idea why Rodriguez was taken off (was he injured?) and as he was subbed my first thought was that he was our best penalty taker and that we would rue the decision.

Before the sending off I felt we were the most dangerous side coming forward and that it would be a matter of time before we got a second, which we almost did bar a goal-line clearance by Mings from Murphy's long range shot. Their players were beginning to make unenforced errors and the momentum was with us. The sending off and the substitutions of Phillips and Johansen altered the course of the game.

For almost 45 minutes we played with 10 men against a full strength Villa side with Livermore, Barry, Brunt, Gayle, Robson-Kanu, Phillips, Johansen and for extra time also Rodriguez missing and still managed to keep a clean sheet and win the match over 120+ minutes. In fact if the play-offs used the away goals rule we would have gone through!

How close we came despite everything that went against us is hard to take. The luck wasn't with us this time and often in these sort of ties luck can be the deciding factor but we'll have our day again soon enough.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #646 on: May 15, 2019, 11:32:23 AM »
I said before the game that, whatever the result, we could leave nothing behind and boy did we not. Players and fans were amazing all night, fantastic support and atmosphere. My voice must still be echoing around the Hawthorns.
Walked out, head held high and proud to be a Baggie!
Come August I will be happy to look forward to another season in the Championship.
Hopefully with a new manager and philosophy we can make an even better fist of it than this year but for me, Moore's sacking aside, it has been a fantastic roller coaster of a season. Wouldn't swap it for a 17th place finish in the greed league that's for sure.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #647 on: May 15, 2019, 11:39:09 AM »
To add to the decisions that went against us in the firsts leg, we had one go against us last night when we should have been awarded a penalty for handball in the box by El Gahzi early in the first half. How the linesman missed it god only knows, as bad a decision as the one not given against Abraham in the first leg.

Before the match started we were missing our best striker but we also had our second best attacking player (Phillips) not firing on all cylinders due to his lack of match fitness and having to be subbed half way through the second half for the second match running because of this. Johansen also had to come off seemingly injured and then of course we went down to 10 men with the loss of Brunt.

I have no idea why Rodriguez was taken off (was he injured?) and as he was subbed my first thought was that he was our best penalty taker and that we would rue the decision.

Before the sending off I felt we were the most dangerous side coming forward and that it would be a matter of time before we got a second, which we almost did bar a goal-line clearance by Mings from Murphy's long range shot. Their players were beginning to make unenforced errors and the momentum was with us. The sending off and the substitutions of Phillips and Johansen altered the course of the game.

For almost 45 minutes we played with 10 men against a full strength Villa side with Livermore, Barry, Brunt, Gayle, Robson-Kanu, Phillips, Johansen and for extra time also Rodriguez missing and still managed to keep a clean sheet and win the match over 120+ minutes. In fact if the play-offs used the away goals rule we would have gone through!

How close we came despite everything that went against us is hard to take. The luck wasn't with us this time and often in these sort of ties luck can be the deciding factor but we'll have our day again soon enough.

I think you're pretty much spot on with this post. I'd need to see the handball again, it was difficult to tell from where I was in the ground.

I think it's easy to under-estimate just how monumental that effort was last night when you list all the things that went against us.

It's going to be a big summer. Some people are writing the clubs obituaries but at Championship level Albion are an attractive club for players and with good recruitment there's no reason why we can't be looking at the play off's again next season. Huddersfield, Cardiff, Fulham coming down, Luton, Barnsley coming up, none of them should hold any fear for us, they are not huge clubs or huge attractions.

It's over to Jenkins and his mates now.

Just to answer your question Windmill, JRod was injured, could barely walk.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #648 on: May 15, 2019, 11:57:32 AM »
Yeah, it was a clear handball that should have resulted in a pen for us.

Regarding J-Rod, he was absolutely dead on his feet.  He made one lung busting run of about 40 yards to chase a ball down and then went down on his hunches.  It was then that Shan subbed him, we'd have been playing with 9 men otherwise. 

J-Rod looked totally gone and you could see in his face he knew he'd run his race.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #649 on: May 15, 2019, 12:00:52 PM »

I think you're pretty much spot on with this post. I'd need to see the handball again, it was difficult to tell from where I was in the ground.

I think it's easy to under-estimate just how monumental that effort was last night when you list all the things that went against us.

It's going to be a big summer. Some people are writing the clubs obituaries but at Championship level Albion are an attractive club for players and with good recruitment there's no reason why we can't be looking at the play off's again next season. Huddersfield, Cardiff, Fulham coming down, Luton, Barnsley coming up, none of them should hold any fear for us, they are not huge clubs or huge attractions.

It's over to Jenkins and his mates now.

Just to answer your question Windmill, JRod was injured, could barely walk.

The investment that was made by JP in the training facilities will really add a lot of weight to our recruitment at this level for the new season and hopefully the promising youngsters still here will look at those who have succeeded at this level via other clubs will step up for us to.