Author Topic: Seals watch - Anything Villa  (Read 2254560 times)

Dan

• WBA Coach

Re: Seals watch - Anything Villa
« Reply #1375 on: May 19, 2012, 02:31:37 PM »
I'd be surprised if he did turn it down really. Villa underperformed massively last season, and have good resources really, not to mention given how much Mcleish was hated any new manager will find it very easy to win over the fans. It's essentially a job he'd struggle to fail in. For the first season at least.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1376 on: May 19, 2012, 02:55:42 PM »
So that's two managers who have turned them down in 12 months?

As I've been saying for two or three years something ain't right behind the scenes at villa park and managers turning them down only adds fuel to the fire!

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1377 on: May 19, 2012, 03:05:58 PM »
I'd be surprised if he did turn it down really. Villa underperformed massively last season, and have good resources really, not to mention given how much Mcleish was hated any new manager will find it very easy to win over the fans. It's essentially a job he'd struggle to fail in. For the first season at least.

With the team they were able to put out on the pitch most weeks they most certainly didn't under perform despite the manager being hated as well as his rubbish tactics, they finished around where they should have and were lucky not to go down. As for their resources they are a club looking to cut costs especially when it comes to their wage budget after Martin O'Neil was let loose to sign all and sundry on big money.

They wont be able to convince a big name manager to go to them as they wont be given the money they will need to get them to where their fans want them to be unless Lerner puts a lot of money into the club himself and I just don't think he will.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1378 on: May 19, 2012, 03:26:13 PM »
Given a straight choice between Molde and Villa OSG chooses Molde. Really must wonder what is going on over at Villa Park that seems to scares off good managers maybe it is the bed sheet army  ;D
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

btbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1379 on: May 19, 2012, 04:24:11 PM »
He hasnt turned Villa down, his statement is to keep the natives in Molde happy. He will be new manager at Villa if they want him.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1380 on: May 19, 2012, 04:43:47 PM »
He hasnt turned Villa down, his statement is to keep the natives in Molde happy. He will be new manager at Villa if they want him.

He's chosen molde over villa, therefore hasn't he automatically turned down villa?

Or at least that's what my understanding of turning someone down is.

btbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1381 on: May 19, 2012, 04:56:59 PM »
Show me where he says he has turned them down.

He has said if he recieves offer he will consider it     ;)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1382 on: May 19, 2012, 04:58:22 PM »
Dangerman - the Norwegian media are saying he hasnt turned them down.Some translations atually suggest the opposite. He seems to have said if Villa make on offer then I might have something to think about. The British media - none of whom speak Norwegian - are the only people suggesting he has turned them down.
Boing Boing

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1383 on: May 21, 2012, 06:41:27 PM »
Villa have appointed their new manager according to Sky Sports:

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Moggas barmy army

« Reply #1384 on: May 21, 2012, 07:03:44 PM »
Unconfirmed reports on twitter saying Solskjaer will be the new man at villa park. Also off a football update on facebook

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1385 on: May 21, 2012, 07:18:26 PM »
Unconfirmed reports on twitter saying Solskjaer will be the new man at villa park. Also off a football update on facebook

Would rather have Hughton.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1386 on: May 21, 2012, 07:25:37 PM »

Very much a gamble but I'm sure it will (unfortunatley) lift the Seals as anything will be a bonus compared with the garbage McLeish served up for them !
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

Moggas barmy army

« Reply #1387 on: May 21, 2012, 07:34:35 PM »
Very much a gamble but I'm sure it will (unfortunatley) lift the Seals as anything will be a bonus compared with the garbage McLeish served up for them !

ay huge gamble for them people say he will be good because he worked under sir Alex .. well so did Robson and Bruce and they haven't turned out to be great managers. I think he will lift them but the squad he inherited is no better than a 12th place finish. They need some investment.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1388 on: May 21, 2012, 09:16:15 PM »
Sticking my neck out, I think Solskjaer will be a good manager. I think he will bring a fresh approach to a club that badly needs it having had 3 old school bosses in the last few years. He was a coach under Ferguson first and I dont think he is the same as Bruce and Robson - he is from a slightly different generation of Man Utd players, the Gary Neville, Roy Keane, Paul Scholes generation.

Villa need a new injection of life. I think he will give them that.

Boing Boing

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1389 on: May 22, 2012, 10:01:02 PM »
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/7772544/Ole-out-of-Villa-running

Aston Villa have confirmed that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will not become the club's new manager following further talks with the Molde coach.

The former Manchester United striker met with Villa representatives last week for informal talks after being flown to Birmingham by a private jet.

He subsequently admitted that he was flattered to be a target for Villa, who sacked Alex McLeish last week after just one season in the job.

However, the 39-year-old is understood to have opted to stick with Molde following further discussions regarding the position.

Villa have insisted that no offer was made to Solskjaer and have confirmed he is no longer under consideration for the role.

Solskjaer led Molde to their first Norwegian title during his first season at the helm and is preparing his squad for the UEFA Champions League.

As a result of Solskjaer's talks with Villa, he returned to Norway to learn that Molde's billionaire backer Kjell Inge Rokke had pulled the plug on his company's 20-year support.

Rokke had criticised Solskjaer's decision to fly to England to hold talks with Villa and the club were unhappy that the discussions emerged into the public domain.

Villa will now have to assess other candidates for the vacancy, with Norwich City's Paul Lambert and Wigan Athletic's Roberto Martinez rumoured to be front-runners.

Martinez turned down the chance to take charge at Villa Park 12 months ago, while it is understood that there has yet to be an approach from Villa for Lambert
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1390 on: May 22, 2012, 10:11:37 PM »
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/7772544/Ole-out-of-Villa-running

Aston Villa have confirmed that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will not become the club's new manager following further talks with the Molde coach.

The former Manchester United striker met with Villa representatives last week for informal talks after being flown to Birmingham by a private jet.

He subsequently admitted that he was flattered to be a target for Villa, who sacked Alex McLeish last week after just one season in the job.

However, the 39-year-old is understood to have opted to stick with Molde following further discussions regarding the position.

Villa have insisted that no offer was made to Solskjaer and have confirmed he is no longer under consideration for the role.

Solskjaer led Molde to their first Norwegian title during his first season at the helm and is preparing his squad for the UEFA Champions League.

As a result of Solskjaer's talks with Villa, he returned to Norway to learn that Molde's billionaire backer Kjell Inge Rokke had pulled the plug on his company's 20-year support.

Rokke had criticised Solskjaer's decision to fly to England to hold talks with Villa and the club were unhappy that the discussions emerged into the public domain.

Villa will now have to assess other candidates for the vacancy, with Norwich City's Paul Lambert and Wigan Athletic's Roberto Martinez rumoured to be front-runners.

Martinez turned down the chance to take charge at Villa Park 12 months ago, while it is understood that there has yet to be an approach from Villa for Lambert

They were all excited as well.  ;D

They will all be claiming they never wanted him now.

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1391 on: May 22, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
BlackCountryFickle was threatening to go to a match and everything!
I only go for the beer.

Moggas barmy army

« Reply #1392 on: May 22, 2012, 10:24:19 PM »
 :D :D :D
I'l hold back on the facebook sources next time then.  Somethings really up with them he turned them down after further discussions. They can't even pry away the manager of molde.

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1393 on: May 22, 2012, 10:30:03 PM »
One would think a meeting with Randy Lerner might be...underwhelming.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1394 on: May 22, 2012, 10:43:11 PM »
It amazes me that how a club of Villa's standing waste their time pursing some young upstart who has barely cut his managerial teeth when a manager of Mick McCarthy's calibre is on the their doorstep. It would serve them right if Liverpool pipped them to his services. :D   
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1395 on: May 22, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
Does anyone think when mr Lerner explains that the new manager must generate their own transfer funds minus an amount that he wants back from his investment , that it might be putting people off ? Oh and by the way the supporters normally start turning up with duvets if you don't win every week  :D
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Hong Kong Phooey

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #1396 on: May 22, 2012, 11:35:39 PM »
Apparently, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was keen to pit his wits against some of the best in Europe and unfortunately Aston Villa were unable to offer him Champions League football...
In football, as in life, facing up to difficulties makes us stronger…Carlos Corberan

Moggas barmy army

« Reply #1397 on: May 23, 2012, 05:15:19 AM »
One would think a meeting with Randy Lerner might be...underwhelming.

Maybe he could talk about the overwhelming success he's had with the Browns .. oh wait. Funny that he's in charge of the 2 stalest, dullest teams in sports history. At least the villa won something 42 years ago remind me again what was it?

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1398 on: May 23, 2012, 06:12:50 AM »
Maybe he could talk about the overwhelming success he's had with the Browns .. oh wait. Funny that he's in charge of the 2 stalest, dullest teams in sports history. At least the villa won something 42 years ago remind me again what was it?

42 years ago Villa had just been relegated to the third division. But I know the thing you're thinking of...it's on the tip of my tongue...I was just telling everyone in California about it the other day....  ???
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 06:15:23 AM by Quakes Fan »

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1399 on: May 23, 2012, 07:01:41 AM »
Apparently, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was keen to pit his wits against some of the best in Europe and unfortunately Aston Villa were unable to offer him Champions League football...

Next season they might be able to offer him 'Championship' football  :P
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!