Author Topic: Chris Brunt  (Read 765112 times)

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Chris Brunt
« Reply #3750 on: June 04, 2020, 07:40:46 PM »
Probably the correct decision. but surely they could have offered him a coaching role ala Mozza.
Maybe he doesn’t fancy coaching.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3751 on: June 04, 2020, 07:44:58 PM »
Great person, great leader and Albion legend. I cant wait to give him the send off he deserves for his service. I'm not sure we will ever see another player with such a long service at the club.
Gera, Gera, Gera

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3752 on: June 04, 2020, 07:46:11 PM »
Poor decision.

Club legend. Well played Chrissy Brunt.

;D Would you have given him another 5-year deal?

Great servant but he left the football pitch two years back.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3753 on: June 04, 2020, 07:47:21 PM »
Cant say I am sorry to see him go,  Thanks Chris, good luck wherever you end up.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3754 on: June 04, 2020, 07:51:03 PM »
Probably the correct decision. but surely they could have offered him a coaching role ala Mozza.
How many would you like to have coaching roles?
Bob Taylor
Darren Bradley
Super Kev
Etc
Good players do not always make good coaches
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3755 on: June 04, 2020, 07:56:11 PM »
Chris Brunt's message on the OS left me with a lump in the throat.  Enormous kudos for that, he clearly was massively respected at the football club and seems a genuinely nice man.  He also came across excellently recently with the zoom link up with the title winning players of 2007/08, you could see his leadership skills.  I'm sure that when he says he'll translate into a fan of this great club I genuinely believe him.

Football wise he was very very good for a few years, when he was young enough to still keep up with the pace of the premier league, was brilliant at passing at times, and delivery from a standing position.  For me the decline has been sharp in recent times and the fact he lacked a yard of pace has killed him at times, much the same it did for the likes of Michael Owen and Robbie Fowler earlier.

Not sure how you define a club legend, is it longevity, brilliance on the field, or a mix?  I think there's been a raft of more natural talented players to grace the blue and white stripes personally. 

I do wish CB all the best for the future.

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3756 on: June 04, 2020, 08:16:52 PM »
 :( An absolute colossus of an Albion player.
Amazing that he's been here 13 years.

I dearly hope that when all this is over, we get to see the often-touted Brunt vs Morrison testimonial during an off-season. I bet it would pack the ground out and give a fitting farewell to two players who have epitomised Albion for much of my adult life.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3757 on: June 04, 2020, 08:31:36 PM »
Good luck Brunty quality signing by club when he arrived just a pity Albion never really pushed on got to cup final or Europe in his years down the Hawthorns.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3758 on: June 04, 2020, 10:33:12 PM »
A sad day.

Thanks Brunty for all the time and work you've put into our fantastic club. You've been magnificent with the fans helpful within the community and left everything on the pitch. The goals the assists the joy thanks for everything.

Captain, leader, legend

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3759 on: June 04, 2020, 11:15:16 PM »
How many would you like to have coaching roles?
Bob Taylor
Darren Bradley
Super Kev
Etc
Good players do not always make good coaches

You have a point but I think Brunt genuinely could make it as a coach in the same way Fletcher probably will, I think they are quite similar in personality. Having said that I'm not sure with Mozza to be honest, I always felt he wasn't as dedicated as Brunt, albeit that isn't based on a whole lot.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3760 on: June 05, 2020, 02:25:52 AM »
Well I knew it was coming but it still saddening.
420 odd games 80+ assists almost 50 goals. Scored the goal that got us up and won us the league. A long with jonas olsson and James Morrison was vital in establishing us a premier league side.

Deserves a testimonial a long with morrison and I hope he gets one. Scored some belters for us. Earned his legend status and will be sorely missed when gone possibly appreciated even more so.

Thanks for the memories brunty
O Albion we love you

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3761 on: June 05, 2020, 07:15:02 AM »
Not entirely sure where I stand on the ex-player as coach debate. On the one hand coaching and playing are two very different things and too frequently ex-players gravitate towards coaching in the absence of anything better to do. It doesn't mean they have an aptitude for it.

On the other hand if a player like Brunt wants to coach the club should at least consider giving him an opportunity to get a foot on the ladder after that it really is down to Chris Brunt the coach not Chris Brunt the player.

I have no idea if Chris Brunt would make a good coach or not.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3762 on: June 05, 2020, 08:48:50 AM »
Not entirely sure where I stand on the ex-player as coach debate. On the one hand coaching and playing are two very different things and too frequently ex-players gravitate towards coaching in the absence of anything better to do. It doesn't mean they have an aptitude for it.

On the other hand if a player like Brunt wants to coach the club should at least consider giving him an opportunity to get a foot on the ladder after that it really is down to Chris Brunt the coach not Chris Brunt the player.

I have no idea if Chris Brunt would make a good coach or not.

Agree, often football makes emotional appointments, ex players as managers is the classic. Decisions on these roles should be made based upon record / experience / potential / qualifications.

That said CB wants to play on and if one day in the future he comes back as a competent person for whatever role, he should be given due consideration IMO
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3763 on: June 05, 2020, 11:20:24 AM »
Thank you Chris Brunt. You have shown loyalty beyond measure in the modern day game. Unfortunately father time calls on all in professional sport at the highest level. I wish you the best in the future. There aren't that many you can say that about at any club anymore.
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3764 on: June 05, 2020, 02:58:12 PM »
Cheers for the memories Chris' and all of the very best in your future endeavours.

And don't forget to always, always SOTV  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3765 on: June 05, 2020, 03:09:57 PM »
Threads like this bug me

Chris brunt has contributed much to West Brom over the period he has been contracted to us ,I do believe that there is more affinity between him and the badge/fans than others who have played for us
BUT
People talk about loyalty, do you really believe that if someone came in offering much improved terms he would have said no, he has been paid very well for his services ...
Some are saying he should be retained as a coach...absolutely not for me, it’s being said with too much emotion and nothing to back up and coaching prowess, in fact if he really did have an eye for tactics and managing...he would have known that he shouldn’t be anywhere near central midfield

Thank you...you are respected and goodbye
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3766 on: June 05, 2020, 03:46:53 PM »
A great player and servant to the club.

Loads of happy memories but it is the right decision sadly.
MAGA!

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3767 on: June 06, 2020, 03:11:44 PM »
Brunty is a club legend as far as I am concerned. Stayed committed to us for well over a decade and is probably the most under appreciated player I can think of.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3768 on: June 06, 2020, 09:09:36 PM »
Fewer and fewer players can you say are club legends, but Chris is definitely one. 
He stuck with us through thick and thin and when he says Albion will always be his club, I'm sure he means it.
On his day he produced many decisive moments and he was so obvioulsy a team player.
He had a football brain and easily fitted into a team playing alongside Gera, Super Kev and of course Mozza.
I hope the club can offer him a leg-up  in some capacity once he hangs up his boots, to help repay him for what he has given to this club .
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3769 on: June 06, 2020, 09:54:28 PM »

Bloody loved having Brunty with us.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 02:22:48 PM by Hull Baggie »
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3770 on: June 10, 2020, 10:02:08 AM »
"West Brom's Chris Brunt poised to make Stoke move"

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it didn't lead him into a coaching role under his old international boss, Michael O'Neil

Source: https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2020/06/10/west-broms-chris-brunt-poised-to-make-stoke-move/

Whatever happens good luck and best wishes Brunty!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3771 on: June 10, 2020, 10:20:21 AM »
Will be interesting to see how he gets on at Stoke if that is where he ends up. As much as I like Chris Brunt I am really not sure how much he has left in the tank.  A one year deal plus an option seems a sensible arrangement. Having dumped Berahino, McClean and Fletcher in the potteries it will be novel having a former Baggie who I wish well turning out for Stoke.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3772 on: June 10, 2020, 10:31:34 AM »
Yep, all of this.  Definitely sounds like he still wants to play.  He'll probably end up at Stoke.  :D

knew it!

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3773 on: June 10, 2020, 12:44:49 PM »
To be honest, and with absolutely no criticism of the player he was, I see this as a really poor signing for Stoke. Way past his best so to I feel it will be yet another favour Stoke are doing to our club. We will see and of course I wish him well.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3774 on: June 10, 2020, 01:03:53 PM »
To be honest, and with absolutely no criticism of the player he was, I see this as a really poor signing for Stoke. Way past his best so to I feel it will be yet another favour Stoke are doing to our club. We will see and of course I wish him well.

I am not sure where Stoke are heading nor what O'Neil has in mind by signing Brunt but that squad is a god awful mess and just signing a good experienced pro might help them out. While Brunt has reached the end of the road with us I am hardly breathing a sigh of relief at his departure unlike the others
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 01:23:10 PM by Standaman »