Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 667483 times)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #2725 on: April 09, 2021, 08:42:16 PM »
Hello Luke and welcome to the forum, now you're here could you clear up who was responsible for signing whom during Slaven's time at the club please? It's been such a bone of contention in these parts and we'd all be most grateful if you'd be kind enough to spill the beans. Cheers in advance, SmethDan and all at westbrom.com  8) .

I fully explained the club's modus operandi when it came to recruitment in an earlier post and unfortunately the mods saw fit to delete it (maybe I was a little too frank).

However for avoidance of doubt if a player turns out to be as much use as a chocolate fireguard then they were the Head Coaches signing if they are any good they are obviously mine. If a player starts his Albion career poorly then blossoms they were the Head Coach's signing when they were rubbish and mine when they came good, the reverse situation is also true.

This might seem a little unfair but those are the rules. I would also remind you that Slaven is no longer with us but I am and that should tell you something.

Returning to the specifics of Sam Johnstone. I am hopeful that there will interest but I am praying that it isn't Spurs the prospect of haggling all summer with that man Levy is just depressing.

If you have any further questions 

yours humbly

Luke
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 08:40:23 AM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2726 on: April 09, 2021, 08:51:17 PM »
I fully explained the club's modus operandi when it came to recruitment in an earlier post and unfortunately the mods saw fit to delete it (maybe I was a little too frank).

However for avoidance of doubt if a player turns out to be as much use as a chocolate fireguard then they were the Head Coaches signing if they are any good they are obviously. mine. If a player starts his Albion career poorly then blossoms they were the Head Coach's signing when they were rubbish and mine when they came good, the reverse situation is also true.

This might seem a little unfair but those are the rules. I would also remind you that Slaven is no longer with us but I am and that should tell you something.

Returning to the specifics of Sam Johnstone. I am hopeful that there will interest but I am praying that it isn't Spurs the prospect of haggling all summer with that man Levy is just depressing.

If you have any further questions 

yours humbly

Luke
I believed that but then you said humbly, now I have a little doubt !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2727 on: April 10, 2021, 12:13:20 AM »
He has been great this season but I'm not being funny I really couldn't care less if he goes. We have a great upcoming keeper in palmer and there are keepers out there available such as heaton

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2728 on: April 10, 2021, 09:31:35 AM »
Super post, Stan. Really made me chuckle and it's on the money too.

On the subject of SJ, I'd be happy if he stayed but not too upset if he goes - as Baggie 38 said, we have a good upcoming keeper in Palmer and we need to look at strengthening the younger aspect of our squad.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2729 on: April 10, 2021, 12:07:32 PM »
From some of the reports I've been reading allied to a couple of clips of in game footage, young Palmer's been having a few 'younger' Johnstone moments of late. If Palmer's our number one moving forward I hope it's in the form he displayed earlier this season.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 12:55:17 PM by SmethDan »
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2731 on: April 10, 2021, 10:28:00 PM »
Wasn't he on there books then loaned to Villa then sold to Villa or Us I can't remember I know he was at Villa
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2732 on: April 10, 2021, 10:40:38 PM »
Wasn't he on there books then loaned to Villa then sold to Villa or Us I can't remember I know he was at Villa

YEs we bought him from Man U.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2733 on: April 10, 2021, 10:42:47 PM »
Thought he was if they want can we ask for more of them As Ed Woodward will try to be a tight guy and they cheated against us should be £20 Million
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2734 on: April 11, 2021, 02:41:49 AM »
Man Utd want him back if DDG or Henderson leaves.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/14610023/man-utd-sam-johnstone-transfer-de-gea-henderson/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=sunfootballtwitter&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1618088532

This doesn't really surprise me. My expectation all along has actually been that he ends up at Liverpool as a 2nd choice keeper. At the price quoted (£8m -£10m), the big clubs will know that It is a safe bet for them. They get themselves what they see as a decent second choice (relatively) cheaply and they know that thanks to his England call up, they can probably sell him on in 2 years time for the same price they bought him.

It's a shame we aren't going to make a significant profit thanks to his contract situation but if we can get to £10m then it's money we can reinvest for this summer.
Boing Boing

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2735 on: April 11, 2021, 02:07:49 PM »
This doesn't really surprise me. My expectation all along has actually been that he ends up at Liverpool as a 2nd choice keeper. At the price quoted (£8m -£10m), the big clubs will know that It is a safe bet for them. They get themselves what they see as a decent second choice (relatively) cheaply and they know that thanks to his England call up, they can probably sell him on in 2 years time for the same price they bought him.

It's a shame we aren't going to make a significant profit thanks to his contract situation but if we can get to £10m then it's money we can reinvest for this summer.

I doubt Sam Johnstone would be prepared to sit on the bench, surely he would only move for first team football.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2736 on: April 11, 2021, 03:42:25 PM »
Being linked with Man Utd. is no great surprise. A chance for some lazy journalism given his links to Old Trafford and De Gea. Also, I read the BBC transfer gossip every day, and there is a never ending list of player links to Man United, sometimes accounting for as much as 50% of the stories. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 03:50:26 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2737 on: April 11, 2021, 05:30:20 PM »
He has been great this season but I'm not being funny I really couldn't care less if he goes. We have a great upcoming keeper in palmer and there are keepers out there available such as heaton

Agree with you. He has had a great season as it’s primarily been about shot stopping, an area that is his strong point. Next year when the crosses start coming in he could give us nightmares again. For 10 million we could invest that elsewhere and pick up a decent keeper that commands his area.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2738 on: April 11, 2021, 05:46:13 PM »
He's had a good season without the fans getting on his back. Lets see how he does when they come back!!

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2739 on: April 12, 2021, 09:17:56 PM »
Couple of good saves this evening and fine stop from penalty spot to keep clean sheet. Some Baggies supporters are seriously underestimating this lads ability.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2740 on: April 13, 2021, 08:21:43 AM »
Terrific save from the penalty and a confidence boost for the back five

He’s grown into the season the longer it has gone on.

He’s also helped by Bartley turning into a man possessed whenever the ball enters our box.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2741 on: April 13, 2021, 09:53:10 AM »
Sam Johnstone is now of the same quality as Ben Foster and still improving. I was once one of Sam’s critics but I accept I’ve been proved wrong.

However, as good he might eventually become, even if he reached the level of the great Gordon Banks, Sam Johnstone’s critics on this site would still moan and find some way to knock him.

The earth is still flat brigade and man never landed on the moon.  😜

West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2742 on: April 13, 2021, 10:22:35 AM »
I'd strongly disagree that Johnstone is at Foster's level.

Maybe I over rate Foster, but he has been a solid premier league goal keeper for near enough his entire career.

Johnstone is 28 and has just had his first genuinely solid season in 3 years at the club. He has improved and he has shown some real mental toughness after getting online stick sent to him by cretins, but that's a long way away from being a premier league keeper on Fosters old level.

Johnstone will move this summer, that feels almost certain, but he could easily have a Ramsdale season next year and be found out. He has some weaknesses and if push came to shove and I had to put my life savings on how his career will pan out, I don't see him being a premier league number 1 in 4 or 5 years time.
Boing Boing

Baltic

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2743 on: April 13, 2021, 10:59:11 AM »
Firstly, his performance yesterday was faultless, so credit to him for that.  Go back one game and he was weak and indecisive.  Anyway; when confident there's a decent keeper in there, but to compare him with Foster who has been consistent for 15 years plus is some comparison.

Morrison and Brunt named the best 3 keepers they've seen at the club and SJ was not on either list, but Foster was lauded as the clear number one.  Foster is clearly the best keeper we've had in the 50 years I've followed Albion (special mention to Russel Hoult who was excellent too).

The good news is our super mini run is improving our reputation and the value of the players who are bound to be sold in the summer, SJ being number one on that list due to his contract status.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2744 on: April 13, 2021, 11:49:31 AM »
Since he signed for us, and was absolutely awful, SJ has generally improved season by season. His errors have cost us quite a few points, yet some of his performances have also saved us a point or two. He is a much better goalkeeper now.

His improvement, alongside that of Bartley and Townsend has been a major factor in our improved defending of late. I also think that the extra defensive cover provided by Yokuslu has had a big part to play as well, perhaps giving SJ that extra fraction of a second or that half yard less of space to defend.

SJ's performance last night was pretty much faultless and he deserves credit for it especially a very good penalty save and some good instinctive catching instead of flapping. As a goalkeeper of the present style I would say he was certainly of middle prem. standard.

Personally I much prefer keepers who command their six yard box and the best ones often take the ball on or around the penalty spot. Most often catching or at the very least punching the ball with power away from danger, not patting it back into  the ruck. SJ along with most modern keepers does not do this and stays well on his line, or even comes from behind it. It seems that it is the modern thinking, but I have consistently criticised the catching and holding of high crosses aspect of SJ's game, and I, along with his defenders no doubt still feel anxious when the ball is crossed into our box. Although SJ and Bartley do now seem to have come to some sort of compromise about dealing with these. Still as I said it was a very good performance last night and SJ played a key role on the result. Well played Sam

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2745 on: April 13, 2021, 12:39:15 PM »
For what its worth and yes, i know i'm just some internet guy, but he's apparently very keen on moving back to Man U and Man U want him. De Gea wants to move.

For what its worth.

Personally i'd sell him, get an experienced keeper in the net for 1 year, Palmer to play cups and be backup and then role with Palmer after that.

Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2746 on: April 13, 2021, 02:35:53 PM »
For what its worth and yes, i know i'm just some internet guy, but he's apparently very keen on moving back to Man U and Man U want him. De Gea wants to move.

For what its worth.

Personally i'd sell him, get an experienced keeper in the net for 1 year, Palmer to play cups and be backup and then role with Palmer after that.
don't understand that, can't see him displacing Henderson he needs to play week in week out.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2747 on: April 13, 2021, 03:03:08 PM »

For what its worth.

we have Button who has plenty of Championship experience, we are practically already set for Johnstone to go, then there’s Lonergan too. Not much needs changing in that department.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2748 on: April 13, 2021, 03:39:38 PM »
we have Button who has plenty of Championship experience, we are practically already set for Johnstone to go, then there’s Lonergan too. Not much needs changing in that department.

I believe Andy Lonergan's only contracted to this summer, he's 38 in October and he really isn't all that good. Unless he's joining the coaching team I very much doubt he'll be a part of our goalkeeping department moving forward.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2749 on: April 13, 2021, 08:07:55 PM »
Sam Johnstone is now of the same quality as Ben Foster and still improving. I was once one of Sam’s critics but I accept I’ve been proved wrong.

However, as good he might eventually become, even if he reached the level of the great Gordon Banks, Sam Johnstone’s critics on this site would still moan and find some way to knock him.

The earth is still flat brigade and man never landed on the moon.  😜
It’s not you....it’s everybody else?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..