Author Topic: Simon Cox-We need to keep him  (Read 17701 times)

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

Simon Cox-We need to keep him
« on: April 03, 2011, 12:29:37 PM »
Conscious at the Match yesterday just how much Cox added.  He is still just off the level of a top premiership striker but he will get there and I love his work rate and effort.  Seen some speculation he will go to Ipswich in the Summer and I think that would be a mistake for him and for us.  Welcome your thoughts

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

Re: Simon Cox-We need to keep him
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 12:32:45 PM »
Personally I don't think he's anywhere near good enough technically or tactically to play in the Premier League consistently, and lets be honest he wouldn't get a look in if Dorrans and Morrison were fit.

I admire his work ethic and gave him a standing ovation for his efforts yesterday, but for me if we stay up he's one of a few fringe players we need to look at moving on if we're going to move up a level next season.
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

eaststandbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 01:01:43 PM »
Great display yesterday but not in the same class as Dorrans or Morrison in midfield and as a forward he is not premier class.Sorry I think someone will come in and he will be replaced
I was there when The King put the ball in the Everton net.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 01:04:42 PM »
Yesterday was the first time at this level we have seen him in the striker role a this level and too my suprise he did very well.

He seemed pretty comfortable in all fairness with a high workrate. Doesnt seem to be quick enough in the brain football wise for this level though, but suppose hes youngish but still dont see him as a regular at this level but will he be happy being a squad player at this level?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 01:09:28 PM by Dudleylad »

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 01:08:15 PM »
Im really pleased that Cox had a good game yesterday, I would like to see him feature in that role again some time this season.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 01:23:44 PM »
When Graham Dorrans and James Morrison are fit he'll either be on the bench or not involved at all which is a shame because his energy and work rate you cannot fault. Yesterday he managed to force their defenders into a few mistake through chasing lost causes. I thought he actually played quite well yesterday and if he does start at Sunderland next week it'll be a well earned start.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 01:32:25 PM »
I agree with that, I really hope he starts next week even in Dorrans is fit and I think he dererves to as well.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

wbatillidie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 02:04:08 PM »
I thought he done really well yesterday, deserves to play next week.
"You'll never get past Claudio"

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 02:23:03 PM »
Did his best yesterday but not up to this level just yet imo,if Dorrans or morrison are fit next week then one must stay.Have to say Cox along with a few others are blessed to be playing under a coach like Roy,i think he will really bring them on.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 02:34:41 PM »
Probably his most effective game for us yesterday, but would he have played if Morrison or Dorrans were fit? I think not.
Admire his work ethic but I cant see him being a regular starter
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

AlbionLegend

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 03:37:17 PM »
I'd like to keep him here but when the squad is fully fit he wont feature, for his sake I would either loan him out or sell him.
I've got those West Bromwich Blues!

baggieboyjop

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 04:46:58 PM »
I think if given a run of games we would see his true self, yesterday i felt he did nothing outstanding however did not really put a foot wrong, i think he may be of a similar mould to morrison in the midfield but i do still feel he is best up front
I hate stoke, i hate newcastle more than i hate stoke, i hate andy carrol more than i hate newcastle, i hate v*lla more than i hate andy carrol but i hate the dingles most of all. Albion till i die

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 05:58:55 PM »
We do need to keep him...played very well yesterday and its no suprise too me at all..always rated him

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 06:43:58 PM »
I think Dorrans would have done better in his role. This season I'd say that's our most balanced/best starting 11. The one yesterday, with Dorrans instead of Cox.

I think Cox's acid test is the rest of the season.

Albion UK

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 08:40:35 PM »
I think he done very well yesterday, he got himself in good positions and linked the up with the midfield nicely. Some of his passes were abit wasteful but i think thats just rustiness.

The thing that impressed me most was as soon as he released the ball the first he done was run straight to the box! It reallys annoys me when a player crosses a ball into the box and all weve got in there is odemwingie! Alot of players tend to lurk around the outside box waiting for a knockdown. Brunt, Dorrans and mozza all do this but cox just went straight to the penalty area.

A definite start for next week.

baggieheart

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 09:02:11 PM »
Cox isn't proven in the championship yet let alone Premier League.

I like the lad but for me doesn't have enough ability for this level.

astle68

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 09:26:12 PM »
Phillips-esque display yesterday. Made some great runs, moved the ball around nicely and created a lot of space for Odemwingie. The only thing his display lacked yesterday was a goal.

I think he can go on to be a decent Premier League player.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 09:28:03 PM »
Cox is a goal scorer, and I believe he could score goals in the Premiership. The problem is he doesn't have the all-round game, he puts a lot of effort in and annoys people, but he is a little lightweight compared to even Morrison or Dorrans. He could probably do a job against the smaller teams, or coming off the bench when we need a goal.

I like him, and I really hop Roy can help him achieve the level he needs to get to.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 09:42:16 PM »
Cox needes game time to see if he can cut it at this level, to make any judgement at this time would be foolish as he could go on to have a very good career at Premiership level, Roy may be able to bring out the best in him, one thing he does have is a decent shot on him.
Baggie in Southampton

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 09:45:07 PM »
I think Cox had one of his best games yesterday and his link-up play with Pete in the first half was very good. I would rather us hang ont him than Fortune who offered substatially LESS than Cox did when he came on in the second half

First half Cox was very good

Second half Fortune was rubbish

It aint rocket science
He's a lad from the Wrenna

DommyKeay19

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 10:33:10 PM »
I was going to start by saying i really like Cox but I thought twice about that... He played well yesterday and his enthusiasm was nice to see, I think he'll get there just could do with a long run of games.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 03:46:29 AM »
the bloke does need games and he will only get better!
O Albion we love you

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 07:55:00 AM »
Think hell get alot better with games played.

reis wbafc patel

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 09:24:47 AM »
Tbf he is wasted at center midfield. But he does the job fairly well.
ALBION TIL I DIE

JDWest_Brom

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 09:28:52 AM »
The one thing he does better than either Dorrans or Morrison is get in the box. When Odemwingie runs the channels and get's the ball we usually don't have anybody in the box for him to cross to. Yesterday Cox was straight in there ready to get on the end of things. Whereas Dorrans and Morrison sit back.
Izzy Brown? Yes he is!