Author Topic: Your most depressing time as an Albion fan.  (Read 14786 times)

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Your most depressing time as an Albion fan.
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2018, 12:19:20 PM »
[quote author=Jordie1471 link=topic=22618.msg633742#msg633742 date=1543568189

On the other hand maybe he actually did me a favour though. He opened my eyes to how utterly uncompetitive and essentially pointless the English Premiership really is.
[/quote]

You know what, I certainly think our entire time in the Premiership was an utterly depressing period in my Baggies life and now we are winning again on a fairly regular basis playing passable reasonably entertaining football I truly have no desire to go back to watching us cling on to surviving season in and season out.
Bit of a 'Schrödinger's cat' paradoxical scenario TBH   
(Thought I'd chuck one in for the philosophers on here)  :P
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2018, 12:21:08 PM »
[quote author=Jordie1471 link=topic=22618.msg633742#msg633742 date=1543568189

On the other hand maybe he actually did me a favour though. He opened my eyes to how utterly uncompetitive and essentially pointless the English Premiership really is.

You know what, I certainly think our entire time in the Premiership was an utterly depressing period in my Baggies life and now we are winning again on a fairly regular basis playing passable reasonably entertaining football I truly have no desire to go back to watching us cling on to surviving season in and season out.
Bit of a 'Schrödinger's cat' paradoxical scenario TBH   
(Thought I'd chuck one in for the philosophers on here)  :P

B@ll@x, you watch The Big Bang Theory  ;D  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2018, 12:21:36 PM »
Any defeat against the Vile scum from Witton, it really does depress me.

This is a given losing to them especially when I was younger used to leave me in a foul and antagonistic mood.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2018, 12:25:15 PM »
Mid 70's (1977?) went to vile park,
got kicked out of ground for giving Peter Withe the "anchor" sign when he missed a sitter early doors (over zealous policing was prevalent back then).
I sat outside on the steps of the old witton end listening to the game which we lost heavily (4-0 I think) That was a dark day indeed !!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2018, 12:55:23 PM »
Most depressing time should have been 85/86 season, where I was a season ticket holder and went to most of the away games. We were utterly dire, but for some masochistic reason I have some great memories of our support that year, anyone who was at Anfield for the 4-1 defeat will know what I mean.

Any defeat by Vile normally leaves me depressed for days, but the two in a week under Pullis nearly finished me off, because it was so obvious that a very poor Vile side were there for the taking, and a more adventurous manager as opposed to ‘safety first’ Pullis would have given us a week to remember.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2018, 12:55:29 PM »
B@ll@x, you watch The Big Bang Theory  ;D  ;) .
Bazinga!!!!
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2018, 01:00:38 PM »
Been going up since 1993, even though there’s probably been worse times then this in that period, the worst time for me personally by far was the last year or so of the pulis era. I’d lost complete interest in Albion, I didn’t go to the game anymore. I really didn’t care. Seeing us win lose or draw is one thing but not actually caring is another. Soon as he went I started going back up.

So to cut a long story short the Tony pulis era by far

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2018, 01:16:45 PM »
The 78 and 82 FA Cup semi-final defeats. I still haven't got over them.

Handing the vile the 1st division title at their place in 81 when we technically still had an outside chance ourselves. Anyone who doesn't know they beat us 1- 0 in the last couple of minutes (following an error from Batson) after we'd played them off the park. Me and hundreds of others got in at the Witton End for nothing when police were forced to open the gates due to crowd pressure. My vile mates told me the same happened outside the Holte just after kick-off.

Oh, and the Pulis era.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2018, 06:31:32 PM »
The Pulis era made me ashamed of our club.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2018, 06:51:52 PM »
The Pulis era made me ashamed of our club.

It was the era that led us to Pulis that ashamed me.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2018, 06:52:10 PM »
I have been through the Howe, Saunders, Buckley Little, Gould, Smith and Irvine eras (bloody hell we've had a lot of c!!p managers) but by far the worst for me as got to be Pulis he ruined the club and for the first time in over 50 years I nearly stopped going the day he went I had a party!

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2018, 08:13:03 PM »
Had to be under Tony Pulis. The just glad to be here and survive culture killed it for me. No ambition whatsoever.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2018, 08:46:24 PM »
Had to be under Tony Pulis. The just glad to be here and survive culture killed it for me. No ambition whatsoever.

I think thats what it will be if we go back up, its not just been under Pulis where that was the aim, he was brought in as a result of the cheap options worrying Peace. After a time though you keep doing it that way you will go down regardless of who is in charge.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2018, 10:55:44 PM »
I'm too young to remember terrible times but I really don't think the Pulis era was that bad.
On his day the football could be awful, but most of the time it wasn't as boring as people make out - and it was fun to be competitive against some of the best teams in the world.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2018, 11:07:34 PM »
Standing in the pi$$ing rain at a bus stop in 1986 staring at the results in the old "pink" realising we were down.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2018, 03:38:10 PM »
Being relegated in 1973, i had always known us to be a top side. It was devastating. Also the 0-1 defeat to Leicester in the 1969 semi final a year after we had won the cup.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2018, 05:20:07 PM »
Amazing how many fans are falling back in love with being a fan this season. As a cabby I get to chat footy with fans of lots of clubs, and happily tell them that in a perfect world Albion would win the league this year and say actually we don’t want promotion. Being also rans in the greed league does not appeals at all.

stoxman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2018, 04:51:50 PM »
When we went down the old third division i was just into high school and got my first ever season ticket with mates from school. We were awful but still loved those nights up the Hawthorns.

This sums it up for me too.   I have some great memories from the Championship, 1st, 2nd and even 3rd Division.  Great players don’t always make for great memories.  The only time I ever got to the point of thinking “why do I bother?” was under Pulis.  I actually got to the stage of not even checking our results....

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2018, 10:16:57 AM »
I took my time thinking this question over till i came to this conclusion
The signing of Irwin has our manager. My 1st thought was "Who the f is he" to this day i wish i had never haired is name.
By a country mile the worst man to manage our club.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2018, 10:33:04 AM »
I'm too young to remember terrible times but I really don't think the Pulis era was that bad.
On his day the football could be awful, but most of the time it wasn't as boring as people make out - and it was fun to be competitive against some of the best teams in the world.

I appreciate your age Argo, but Pulis really was that bad. He sucked the life out of any game, had no ambition up front and occasionally got a good result against a decent team. A couple of seasons ago we were comfortably safe with 12 games to go, what happened then is an absolute disgrace.......all down to the anti christ.
I was a STH for all of the Buckley/Gould etc and whilst we were on the bones of our a**e there was a sense of ownership around the club. We were all in it together and we knew it.
I will admit to being pro Pulis for quite some time but I am so pleased he will never darken our doorstep again. I think we got the occasional lucky result against some of the top teams because they lost the will to live playing against us.......
MAGA!

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2018, 12:55:59 PM »
Without doubt the 11 straight defeats under the dreadful Alan Buckley including the 0-3 loss at home to Wolves was my worst time although the Don Howe relegation season in the early 70's and the Talbot and Gould regimes still haunt me too.
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2018, 05:04:17 PM »
There've been many grim times. And you'd think going down to the old third division would be the worst of them.

And it was until Pulis came on the scene. THE WORST for me.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2018, 05:07:45 PM »
The recruitment during the summer of Alan Irvine's time in charge. That summer was a disaster and put the club many steps back.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2018, 05:44:58 PM »
Forgot to mention, the Derby play-off defeat - I remember the journey home feeling bad.
Then the Cardiff equaliser to make it 3-3 under Pepe Mel. I remember I felt ecstatic in the BRE then it turned quickly to agony.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2018, 09:51:49 PM »
Individual game. Pompey FA Cup defeat. Should have won it, would have won the Cup if we did. Massive missed chance that was.