Author Topic: Kieran Gibbs  (Read 167038 times)

alex1

• WBA Coach

Re: Kieran Gibbs
« Reply #200 on: October 02, 2017, 01:01:47 AM »
Really pleased with what I've seen so far. He actually gives us an extra attacking option, and blimey, do we need one under this Pulis set up. Alot of old school think that as a full back all you need to do is win the ball and pump it forward. But look at all the top clubs and they have full backs that get forward and cause an extra attacking option to get a cross in.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #201 on: October 02, 2017, 04:03:57 PM »
has been consistently outstanding for us, we didn't just finally get a proper left back, we got a really good one.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #202 on: October 02, 2017, 04:36:37 PM »
I have been impressed with him since he joined. Though he was a close call for our MOTM on Saturday.... as dire as the showing was, there was very little wrong with his performance.

An absolute bargain for the price.
MAGA!

stoxman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #203 on: October 05, 2017, 12:24:12 PM »
So far so good.  I'm still nervous that after 6 months of "improvement" under Pulis he will be a shadow of his initial showing.   I remember feeling excited by Livermore, Nyom, Rondon during their first few games and then they got worse, not better.....

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #204 on: October 05, 2017, 02:09:11 PM »
So far so good.  I'm still nervous that after 6 months of "improvement" under Pulis he will be a shadow of his initial showing.   I remember feeling excited by Livermore, Nyom, Rondon during their first few games and then they got worse, not better.....
That's a fair point, has anyone really improved as a player under his stewardship?
Think he is so focused on the shape and defensive discipline, individuals get swallowed up and rarely shine.
Saft as it sounds, this is exactly what England could do with, someone to bring them together as a disciplined unit, rather than 11(over-rated) individuals.
Pulis for England!!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #205 on: October 05, 2017, 06:18:25 PM »
It's a vey common thing with players at new clubs - the change of scene and bit of spotlight on them tends to bring out some good performances early on, which can flatter to deceive a bit.  It's not unique to our club.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #206 on: April 01, 2018, 05:30:55 AM »
Yesterday he was very lazy in both attack and defense, deserved to be taken off at half time.
Look like that he didn't care about the team.
The PRIDE of midlands

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #207 on: April 01, 2018, 05:50:06 AM »
Sell him in the summer and sign a replacement, but i'd rather promote Kane Wilson than have this lazy sod starting for us.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #208 on: April 01, 2018, 02:01:44 PM »
I think Gibbs started okay but has gradually got worse as the season has gone on, i think Pulis said when we signed him we were going to work on him defensively, no coincidence since Pulis left, Gibbs has got worse.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #209 on: April 01, 2018, 04:56:17 PM »
I think Gibbs started okay but has gradually got worse as the season has gone on, i think Pulis said when we signed him we were going to work on him defensively, no coincidence since Pulis left, Gibbs has got worse.

Gibbs was woeful at Arsenal and he's been shocking for Albion. He can't head it, he has no defensive ability, no strength or bottle. He also has no desire or will to play for the club, not surprising when he was on the easy train as an Arsenal reserve. Shocking signing that I whole heartedly opposed. Some of the comments from earlier in the season above calling him outstanding are laughable. Fingers crossed we can con another premiership team to take him in the summer as I imagine he's on a hefty wage.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #210 on: May 09, 2018, 02:15:31 PM »
First to come out and apologise for the season via his Twitter , have to say I thought he was poor for long spells of the season and positioning was poor week in week out .
That said improved a lot under Moore and does have decent pedigree so either we get money back or he sticks about and gives us a season which I half hope he does as I feel he's one that owes.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #211 on: May 09, 2018, 02:25:17 PM »
First to come out and apologise for the season via his Twitter , have to say I thought he was poor for long spells of the season and positioning was poor week in week out .
That said improved a lot under Moore and does have decent pedigree so either we get money back or he sticks about and gives us a season which I half hope he does as I feel he's one that owes.

Under Moore, he showed a willingness to close down and block crosses which he wasn't doing under either previous manager. I would be keen to keep him if Moore stays.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #212 on: May 09, 2018, 04:16:20 PM »

I'm with you. If we can get a good price, then fair enough, let him go. But hopefully he will give it a go and stay, as he has contributed to the poor season. I think he could be one of the best LBs the Championship has seen. I think he's a decent player who has been mis-managed. Along with every other player in the squad...

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #213 on: May 09, 2018, 04:30:56 PM »
The fullbacks at most progressive premier clubs are often "out of position" as they are expected to get forward,
The key is the wide midfield player slotting in to cover.
How often are Valencia & Young bombing on,
Bellerin / Monreal
Zappacosta / Azpilacuta
Walker / Danilo
even West ham have Cresswell and Masuaka liberated from just defending

If you want to play with a static, rigid back four you are not going to succeed in the modern game.
Gibbs isn't excellent, but he's not rubbish either and he will be head and shoulders above most championship defenders.  Watch some championship football, its pretty poor.

There is one bloke on here who really knows about defending and I would interested to hear his view on this (Fritzl !!!)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #214 on: May 09, 2018, 05:33:34 PM »
The fullbacks at most progressive premier clubs are often "out of position" as they are expected to get forward,
The key is the wide midfield player slotting in to cover.
How often are Valencia & Young bombing on,
Bellerin / Monreal
Zappacosta / Azpilacuta
Walker / Danilo
even West ham have Cresswell and Masuaka liberated from just defending

If you want to play with a static, rigid back four you are not going to succeed in the modern game.
Gibbs isn't excellent, but he's not rubbish either and he will be head and shoulders above most championship defenders.  Watch some championship football, its pretty poor.

There is one bloke on here who really knows about defending and I would interested to hear his view on this (Fritzl !!!)
Have to disagree , Gibbs general defending and closing down was poor for large parts of the season but improved under Moore . Under Pardew the amount of times he got done in the air was frightning at the back post , maybe he is better in a more rigid side.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #215 on: May 09, 2018, 06:23:37 PM »
I disagree he's that poor defensively but even still. If we think we'll be on the front foot a lot next season then surely Gibbs is the kind of LB we need?

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #216 on: May 10, 2018, 08:40:46 AM »
Not sure my defensive knowledge is all that, unless it is defending the door from a basement escape  ;)

I do feel that Gibbs lacks in his defensive nous, but that is symptomatic of modern football. The days of having a Gary Neville style character as your full back are long gone. Look at the side who has won 3 out of the last 4 Champions League titles, they have Marcelo at left back and he has no intention to defend, continually breaks the defensive line to bomb forward and is frequently out of position...but look at what he brings to the attacking side of the game.

When having full backs who are so attack minded, you need the centre backs to factor that in, which I feel is where we have let ourselves down when it has come to Gibbs this season. I look at Evans allowing Lukaku to isolate himself with Gibbs to put that header away earlier in the season as case in point, he should have known where Lukaku was at all times, he was their lone striker and he should have been tough tight to him throughout.

I like Gibbs despite his defensive failings and would like to see him stay on next season, but I would imagine a Premier League club would come in for him during the summer so do not see it happening.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #217 on: May 11, 2018, 05:28:20 PM »
Has disappointed me tbh.

Has been okay but very few assists, rare in beating a man, few block busting tackles and prone to be targeted at back post for headers. Technically good, but what has he offered more than when brunt was lb?
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #218 on: May 12, 2018, 03:34:53 PM »
Poor defender for Arsenal and a poor defender for Albion, who could have predicted that one.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #219 on: May 13, 2018, 05:07:49 AM »
Been bang average this season but I still think there's a good player in there somewhere. Would be a good player in the championship. Worth keeping if we can keep hold of him.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #220 on: May 21, 2018, 11:58:45 PM »
I've seen posts on Facebook claiming Gibbs has committed to us for nezt season (with no source of course, this is Facebook after all  ::) ). Anyone heard anything about this??

Fair play to him if its true, he's a player with a fairly high profile and that I can imagine doing very well in the championship. Could easily get a move so would be welcome news for me, I don't think we've seen him reach his potential here yet.
the bham mail also said he has committed to us in an article i was reading tonight. honestly thought he'd be one of the first to scarper.
it mentions it in this article just above the picture of Foster.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/938796979?-11200:789
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 12:03:01 AM by caravanc58 »

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #221 on: May 22, 2018, 12:35:03 AM »
He just made the most league appearances he has ever made in his career to date. Wonder if that has played a big part.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #222 on: May 22, 2018, 07:44:24 AM »
Be delighted to keep him, would be a very good player to have at Championship level.

keithowba86

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #223 on: May 22, 2018, 07:48:18 AM »
if we play 3-4-3 and he plays wide left... perfect player!

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #224 on: May 22, 2018, 07:56:54 AM »
Excellent news if true. I had him down as possibly one of the first to go.  Figured coming from Arsenal, not been with us long and with a high enough profile that someone would snap him up. He'll be outstanding this year for us.