Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2348519 times)

alwaysbilly

• Youth Baggie

Guochuan Lai
« on: February 13, 2015, 04:49:41 PM »
Sky Sports have just announced this news - good old Sky Sources.

Maybe JP has had enough or does want to push us on (or cash in)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 01:58:01 AM by Political Cake »

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 04:51:08 PM »
Hmmmm not sure how i feel about this. Selling the soul of our club? I like the way we are, even though we will struggle to progress. I don't want to be playing at 'the macron/reebok' or 'sportsdirect', i want us to play at the hawthorns, keep us true to our identity, not becoming the plaything of a sugardaddy.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 04:51:32 PM »
Treating this news with much caution, JP is the best thing that's happened to this club in the last 25/30 years.

Days after the new tv deal was announced, I guess the club has never been such an attractive proposition. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 04:58:03 PM by Signor_Maresca »
"This crack is really moreish."

RogerBadoo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 05:04:02 PM »
I would be really worried - look at Lerner, numerous East European Oligarchs - they get bored and then that's when the trouble starts. I'd rather not be Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday or even Pompey.

He may be utterly frustrating at times but I would keep JP all day long.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 05:07:28 PM »
Better the devil you know. :o
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 05:23:17 PM »
http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2015/02/13/albion-seek-new-investment-and-may-sell/

West Bromwich Albion have begun a search for fresh investors - with chairman Jeremy Peace ready to consider an outright sale, sources told the Express & Star today.

Albion have spoken to contacts in the City in a bid to attract new financial backers from home and abroad.

And Peace, who is the Baggies’ majority shareholder, has not ruled out selling his controlling stake for the right offer, although he believes a suitable offer is unlikely at this stage.

The Baggies have moved quickly to react to the announcement this week of the Premier League’s new £5.14bn, three-year TV deal.

The latest deal represents a 70 per cent rise on the current £3bn contract for live screening of Premier League matches at home and abroad from 2016.

Sky paid £4.17bn for five of seven packages on offer, equating to 126 live games. BT Sport spent £960m on two, which nets them 42 matches.

Albion believe that makes Premier League clubs more attractive than ever to new investors and hope to steal a march on their rivals by making their move early.

They have contacted industry experts and asked them to spread the word that new investors would be welcomed.

The PRIDE of midlands

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 05:33:53 PM »
He did this before and found no-one....

Hardly any foreign buyers have ended up making the club they've brought better. In Birmingham and Blackburn they actually ruined the clubs.

I'd be very cautious with this, even if the buyer seems amazing initially.

Those who have slatted JP have very little clue about the football business and do him a disservice.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 05:46:00 PM by KnaveofAlbion »
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 05:34:36 PM »
Personally I would like to see a solid institutional co-investor working with JP, with the investor giving due credence to JP's astute stewardship. In other words, a wealthy backer who knows the value of money and won't want to see it wasted, as opposed to a "money no object" sort of owner.

It all stacks up now.  JP being ruthless re managers, loosening his pursestrings to desperately ensure that we stay in the Premier League, and now ready to cash in.  Can't blame him, but I really do hope that he stays very involved. 

This club with an extra £100m (say) invested in the team and with JP's principles remaining in place could be in a very nice position indeed.     

Mat15(MH)

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 05:37:47 PM »
Be interesting to see what is considered a "Suitable offer" by the powers that be. I believe we tried looking before but found no-one, anyone have idea what kind of price we were after then?

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 05:39:42 PM »
He did this before and found no-one....

Hardly any foreign buyers have ended up making the club they've brought better. In Birmingham and Blackburn they actually ruined the clubs.

I'd be very cautious with this, even if the buyer seems amazing initially.

Thus who have slatted JP have very little clue about the football business and do him a disservice.

I tend to agree with this. JP has done brilliant service for the club and should be recognised for it.

While for some clubs, Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, foreign ownership has paid off, for most it doesn't seem to have achieved much at all, or worse, in the style of Blues, Villa, Blackburn.

Our model works. Let's be careful what we wish for.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 06:02:23 PM »
It would be nice to think we could get someone with a bit of cash to splash but didn't mess it up.

Cant see us ever getting a big wealthy owner though but perhaps a good investment from someone may allow us to push on that little bit further
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 06:32:21 PM »
Be careful what you wish for...a lot of fans are quick to blame Peace whenever things have gone bad in the past, but personally I think he's an excellent chairman who is also a genuine fan.

I think the reason for looking to sell (this time) is that the excess TV money is around the corner. Supposedly this would be quite attractive to a potential investor in comparison to last time when no one was interested.

johnthebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 06:48:42 PM »
If it's the TV money that's inspired this, then all we need to do is survive in the premier league till 2016........simples.

In fairness this is old news as the club has technically been up for sale for a while, only difference this time is that Peace is publicly stating it and has become a bit more active in looking for an investor/buyer.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 07:10:25 PM »
Just take a look at Coventry City if you need to be warned of the dire possibilities!  :o

Not only is the club almost non existent, these days they don't even have their own home ground.

Oh and can I add Hereford united to that list too?
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

freddy73

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 07:13:48 PM »
As has just been stated, Peace has technically been looking to sell since pretty much day 1. Def read somewhere when he 1st started, that he only saw himself doing it for 5 years max. Complete non story. If someone wanted to buy us / invest in us, they would have done so ages ago. Peaces' asking price (just like Lerners' at the Vile), will put anyone off from buying. Add to the fact the forthcoming tv money, I bet his asking price has just gone up!!!

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 07:16:04 PM »
Any numbers mentioned   about the valuation of the club, with new television rights peace will be looking for 50 million minimum for his shares not bad for someone who put in a few pence of his own money. As for becarefull what you wish for JP ain't all that still uses club as his personal cash point

stoxman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 07:38:18 PM »
Before anyone gets too excited, I am personally brokering a Championship club,  League 1 club and a world famous golf course. In the last 18 months of following countless meetings in Qatar, UAE etc we have yet to get one firm bid for any of them even at very attractive prices. I also know someone trying to sell a Premier club and he is having no luck either. We have given up entirely with Russian buyers given the weakness in oil and the Ruble. And China is even worse.

Believe me, selling trophy sporting assets is  v v v v v v v hard, even with a rolodex of people who could each buy Albion from petty cash. Don't hold your breath for a quick fix....

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 09:40:59 PM »
Before anyone gets too excited, I am personally brokering a Championship club,  League 1 club and a world famous golf course. In the last 18 months of following countless meetings in Qatar, UAE etc we have yet to get one firm bid for any of them even at very attractive prices. I also know someone trying to sell a Premier club and he is having no luck either. We have given up entirely with Russian buyers given the weakness in oil and the Ruble. And China is even worse.

Believe me, selling trophy sporting assets is  v v v v v v v hard, even with a rolodex of people who could each buy Albion from petty cash. Don't hold your breath for a quick fix....

I agree.

And I think that somebody buying a share in the club without acquiring it outright  seems far more likely.

A club our size is more likely to appeal to a different type of investor.  A Beckham-led consortium perhaps.

Baggie Boy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 09:52:28 PM »
I think it should be remembered that JP from day 1 has stated he is searching for the 'right investor' and for somebody who can progress the club. That is probably why we haven't sold before, because he is only allowing sales to people with decent financial nouse.

It would be easy to sell up to an idiot in the likes of Tan and Venky's, we can safely be assured JP will only sell upon the right investor entering the fray.

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 09:52:56 PM »
Sounds like a pretty different job Stoxman how'd you come about that?

Challenging I presume as you mention
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 10:03:53 PM »
Be careful what you wish for...a lot of fans are quick to blame Peace whenever things have gone bad in the past, but personally I think he's an excellent chairman who is also a genuine fan.
My view entirely.
I'm not talking statues, but I can't think of anyone who has done more for our club in the past fifty years.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 10:48:44 AM by garry »

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 10:06:15 PM »
Best news I've heard in ages bring it on!

stoxman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2015, 10:39:09 PM »
Sounds like a pretty different job Stoxman how'd you come about that?

Challenging I presume as you mention

I used to run a couple of the Middle East's investment banks. Lived in Abu Dhabi for about 6 years and spent my life on planes around Libya, Saudi, Kuwait, Oman etc. Pretty amazing adventure. Still managed to watch my beloved Albion on Al Jazeera. When the bigger matches were on AL Jazeera 1,2,3 etc I would often find West Brom v Wigan on Al Jazeera Comedy Channel. True and very ironic...

There's been a lot of change in the Gulf recently- a new king in Saudi, a new Emir in Qatar, continued rumblings in Bahrain, the President of the UAE isn't in great health, the oil price has halved. It really isn't going to be easy finding a top money (as Peace will want) buyer today.

COYB

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2015, 10:50:06 PM »
Best news I've heard in ages bring it on!

I assume this is on the wild assumption that we will be bought by someone with a huge amount of money who does everything that a fan could ever want. Trouble is it rarely ends up that way.

Anyone fancy Leeds, Cardiff or Hull owners?

I'd take Peace any day. Problem is that one day he will decide that he has had enough. Then what?

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2015, 10:56:35 PM »
As frustrating as I have found him, with his small time attitude, stubbornness and lack of ambition, I would miss Mr Peace. At least our club is on a sound financial footing and looking at some of the other foreign owners I feel very worried!