Author Topic: A trip down memory lane - edition #1  (Read 7066 times)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Re: A trip down memory lane - edition #1
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2020, 12:35:40 PM »
I wasn't there for the '93 play off final. Glad to read that you all had such a great time though. Bunch of jammy handshankers  ;) .

And in which part of our Coronavirus ridden world were you in?  ;D
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2020, 12:48:05 PM »
And in which part of our Coronavirus ridden world were you in?  ;D

Stockland Green of all places! My leave wasn't confirmed until the Friday afternoon. When I went to the ground Saturday there was a sign up saying they'd sold out. Only they hadn't (apparently) at that time. No idea what the sign was all about. Watched it on TV at my (now) brother in law's house with a couple of stubby ten packs and a McDonalds. Found out the next day a pal of mine had a spare which I could have had. He took his miserable sour puss of a Mrs with him but said he'd have gladly given the ticket to me if he'd known I was coming home on leave. Bugger, never mind eh when I can read all of these lovely memories of the day  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2020, 07:59:26 AM »
Video of the day.

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2020/march/albion-open-doors-to-video-archive/

The game in memory seemed easy but looking back while the Albion were generally in control it was a close game until the sending off. It also probably needs to be rembered that in the regular season we had not beaten Vale and they were probably favourites going into the game having finished ahead of us in the table.

Bernie Slaven played for Vale as did a young Ian Taylor who would latter move on to the Vile.

I have reviewed the video and there is no evidence of a young(er) Standaman sporting early 90's Teardrop Explodes inspired haircut for which I am truly grateful.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2020, 10:01:37 AM »
For anyone interested, sky sports football are showing back to back 15 minute highlights of our games this season from 12 until 5

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

For anyone interested, sky sports football are showing back to back 15 minute highlights of our games this season from 12 until 5
It’s baggies day ....
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

wardy65

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2020, 10:42:08 AM »
Beating Vale at the old Wembley, aah, what a fantastic day! It was the season 'Boing boing' was introduced to the Albion vocabulary if i remember right, & the Taylor/Hunt combo, was feared throughout the division, albeit a division we were all shaking our heads at being a part of. My stand out memory though, is from before the game even kicked off. We got there quite early, & having been fed & watered, decided to walk all around the stadium to have a proper look at the old stadium. To be honest, as there was close on 50,000 of our fans there that day, it was difficult to know which end was ours from the outside, & as we walked round, we saw a bunch of stewards ushering fans back out of the way, as they were blocking one of the entrances to the stadium. Anyway, as we all moved back, expecting somebody important to appear, out popped Port Vale's manager John  Rudge, suited & booted, & chest puffed out proud as punch, obviously expecting a hero's welcome, from what he no doubt thought would be a huge gathering of Vale fans. Imagine the reaction, as our Wolverhampton born friend, looks out to see wave upon wave of boinging Baggies fans, giving him a right round of f**ks. Absolutely priceless! I've never seen a u-turn like it, as the look on the guys face, turned from the worlds proudest, to one of 'please get me out of here asap,' in an instant. Hilarious!
Wonderful day, wonderful season, but hopefully, our last in English football's third tier!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2020, 10:45:28 AM »
Any ideas as to why Port Vale brought so few fans. I don't even think they brought what they would normally. Get for a home game but my memory may be off. I was only 13 at the time

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2020, 10:53:46 AM »
.........Bernie Slaven played for Vale as did a young Ian Taylor who would latter move on to the Vile......

Not forgetting they also had Robin van der Laan who was the real driving force of their midfield. I would have loved to see him play for us. That Port Vale side was a pretty decent and in truth they deserved to go up over the course of the season. Never mind though eh  ;D ?

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2020, 10:56:17 AM »
Any ideas as to why Port Vale brought so few fans.......

From memory I think they'd already been to Wembley that season for the Mountain Bike Mudflap competition or some such like and were a touch complacent. Fugg 'em.

wardy65

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2020, 11:08:00 AM »
They had. They'd played Stockport (i think) a week or two earlier, in the Auto Windscreens cup, or whatever it was called then, so gave us a load of their tickets.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2020, 11:46:06 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up guys! 

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2020, 04:35:42 PM »
From memory I think they'd already been to Wembley that season for the Mountain Bike Mudflap competition or some such like and were a touch complacent. Fugg 'em.
Correct mate, one week prior they took their full allocation.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2020, 05:28:49 PM »
The bomber should take all penalties even now!
I don't remember him missing one, suppose he must have done, but the best way to take a pen is like he used to,just blast it.
I seem to remember Peter Shilton saving one for Forest from Bomber in front of the Brummie, but tbf he didn't miss many
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

throstle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2020, 06:05:51 PM »
It was when Shilton was playing for Leicester in 1973. A very rare Bomber miss.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

It’s baggies day ....

Bloody great!
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2020, 01:29:11 PM »
Who could forget this and what a day!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD8V8enE8gA
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.