Poll

Will you be taking up your option of receiving the Covid vaccine.

Yes
90 (86.5%)
No
11 (10.6%)
Undecided
3 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1209363 times)

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #8925 on: July 19, 2021, 10:27:43 AM »
My friend posted this on Facebook yesterday.

Wearing a mask doesn't make me weak, scared, stupid or even "controlled". It makes me caring and responsible. 

Couldn't argue with her.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

BaggiePhil

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #8926 on: July 19, 2021, 10:30:47 AM »

Wearing a mask doesn't make me weak, scared, stupid or even "controlled". It makes me caring and responsible. 

Couldn't argue with her.
Totally agree with you and your friend. 

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8927 on: July 19, 2021, 10:34:28 AM »

Couldn't argue with her.

And that's why i'll be wearing masks in enclosed areas still. The triple layers masks that are worn in care.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8928 on: July 19, 2021, 10:43:49 AM »
Found out yesterday that a relative of mine (40s) and a lad I know from away days (20s) have both tested positive for Covid. They were both at Wembley for the Euro Final and both believe it's most likely where they caught it. That or in transit either way.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8929 on: July 19, 2021, 10:53:39 AM »
Found out yesterday that a relative of mine (40s) and a lad I know from away days (20s) have both tested positive for Covid. They were both at Wembley for the Euro Final and both believe it's most likely where they caught it. That or in transit either way.

No real surprise if it was Wembley. Given the scenes that day that have been shared, I would expect it to have been a super spreader event.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8930 on: July 19, 2021, 11:21:52 AM »
You are wrong. If people hadn't have worn masks we would have been in a worse place now. They did work.

How am I wrong.its a fact that most face masks are not suitable to prevent Covid19 escaping.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 12:36:36 PM by MarkW »

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8931 on: July 19, 2021, 11:23:07 AM »
It was nice to walk into the petrol garage* today mask free. 5 customers, 1 kiosk worker all without a mask. 1 customer with a mask. It will be interesting to see how this pans out over the next week.

*the one at the top of Roebuck by The Vine.

Just come from gym, on Bearwood road. Few people wearing masks in shops gyms etc which is absolutely their right too but most people not.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8932 on: July 19, 2021, 11:26:39 AM »

Couldn't argue with her.

Fully support her right to do so and yours all I'm saying is I won't be. They don't comfort me at all and data suggests any protection given to others is microscopic.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8933 on: July 19, 2021, 11:26:48 AM »
Just come from gym, on Bearwood road. Few people wearing masks in shops gyms etc which is absolutely their right too but most people not.

Different experience for me. I went into Sainsbury's in Oldbury  this morning after work and literally everyone was wearing a mask. I actually didn't see one person that wasn't.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8934 on: July 19, 2021, 11:27:52 AM »
Different experience for me. I went into Sainsbury's in Oldbury  this morning after work and literally everyone was wearing a mask. I actually didn't see one person that wasn't.

That's awesome for them. I'm off to Asda later I'll report back

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8935 on: July 19, 2021, 11:29:28 AM »
That's awesome for them. I'm off to Asda later I'll report back

Very good.

I'm not implying anything by the way, just thought I'd mention it.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8936 on: July 19, 2021, 11:34:03 AM »
Very good.

I'm not implying anything by the way, just thought I'd mention it.

Not at all mate. We all live very different and individual experiences but some people don't seem to accept that.

If I'm the only one without a mask I'll report that and vice versa.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8937 on: July 19, 2021, 11:43:15 AM »
Something is wrong here , certainly the thinking doesn't seem joined up. Many restrictions are being lifted and yet companies such as Iceland , Vauxhall , Greene King have had to massively alter working practices, shut shops, scrap shifts etc due to large numbers of workforce having to self isolate( no pilot scheme places available). It is affecting smaller businesses too Grandsons nursery closed for 3rd or 4th time this year surely the app needs altering to take into consideration the altering of rules
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8938 on: July 19, 2021, 12:43:21 PM »
Right, ended up going to the Co-op as didn't need as much as thought, my quick, personal take from it:

- Less mask wearing in general on the street, hardly anyone with them under their chins like we are used to seeing.

- People nipping in and out of shops, very few masks worn

- Co-op had a sign up saying feel free to wear a mask or not (perfect response imo)

- In the co-op there was a clear difference based on age when it comes to mask wearers. I'd say 70% of over 70's were wearing masks but some elderly were not, more than normal.

- Under 70's largely not wearing masks but some were, probably 70-30 split again

Actually appears as if people have started to use common sense which has been missed dearly over the last 18 months.

Still plenty of obese people about though of all ages, genders, races which if they took responsibility for their own lives (apart from the minority with medical issues) would drastically reduce covid deaths. Disappointing.

section5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8939 on: July 19, 2021, 12:46:11 PM »
Sweden don't have huge numbers of Covid infections? Not on the face of it perhaps but infection rates per million are worth bearing in mind. Sweden's infection rate per million currently stands at 107,652 whereas the UK's infection rate per million is significantly lower at 79,608.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

As you suggest, Sweden's demographics in terms of population, density, age and underlying health conditions are different to our own. With that in mind I'd suggest that if the UK had adopted Sweden's approach we'd have been up a smelly brown creek without a paddle.

Interesting in regards to Sweden from early 2020 when numbers were very high worldwide, even compared to similarly densely populated areas there doesn’t seem to be much of an impact from non pharmaceutical interventions that were desired.

Taken from a blog/article but quite interesting in regards to the comparison between Stockholm and London which can be more fairly compared due to demographic factors and density etc.

“As of May 6, Sweden’s Covid-death toll stands at 2,941 – a per-capita count of 29 per 100,000 people; in America it’s about 22 per 100,000 people. The UK’s number, now the highest in Europe, is well above that at 39 dead per 100,000. How can we make sense of this?

To some extent we would expect Sweden, whose population density is one-tenth that of Britain, to fare better against a contagious disease that spreads by proximity. But though the countries as a whole may differ, their capital cities are altogether more comparable – Stockholm has a population density of 5,203/km2, while London’s is 5,701/km2.

Stockholm, however, accounts for a much greater proportion of Sweden’s outbreak than London, with 37% of positive tests and more than half of the country’s deaths. Similarly, New York City accounts for 30% of America’s Covid deaths – almost half if we count its metropolitan statistical area. In contrast, London only has 20% of the UK’s total number of deaths so far.

Stockholm has seen 65 people per 100,000 die from the epidemic, compared to 59 in London and a staggering 225 in New York City (162 in the greater NYC statistical area). Clearly, coronavirus deaths are much more spread out in the UK, with Scotland reporting something like 51 dead per 100,000 people, the East, the Midlands and the North West all around the national average of 39 per 100,000.

In America and Sweden, however, the pandemic has been mild or totally unremarkable in most places. The Swedish region where my family lives, Skåne, has had just six deaths per 100,000 people, lower even than locked-down Denmark or Germany. The same is true for many other parts of Sweden – particularly the very sparsely populated north.

Similarly, the US state of Wyoming, with a population 600,000, has reported just seven Covid deaths; Maine, with roughly the same population as my home region of Skåne, has seen 62 deaths – about 5 per 100,000 inhabitants. To a lesser extent this is also true in some parts of Britain: As of May 5, the South West, where 8% of the UK’s population lives, had reported fewer than 4% of its deaths.

These statistics go some way to explaining why Sweden has opted for a more open approach, as have American states with low population densities. It there is at least one thing this crisis has unambiguously taught us, it is that one size does not fit all. New York’s outbreak is not Wyoming’s and advice appropriate for London is not necessarily right for the Peak District, let alone the Scottish borders or rural Wales. So far, the pandemic has mostly been a story of Big City life and it is not clear that that’s about to change. We should talk about London, New York City or Stockholm – not Britain, America or Sweden.”

https://capx.co/in-a-big-city-pandemic-comparing-countries-has-limited-value/

From looking at Sweden previously it would appear they got the trade off correct for them in terms of measures etc. Looking at the comparison between Stockholm and London and with knowledge of the damage the restrictions will do in terms of missed treatments/operations and general healthcare, it would appear that the implementation of non pharmaceutical interventions haven’t been as effective as initially hoped

Preliminary data from EU statistics agency Eurostat compiled by Reuters showed Sweden had 7.7% more deaths in 2020 than its average for the preceding four years. Countries that opted for several periods of strict lockdowns, such as Spain and Belgium, had so-called excess mortality of 18.1% and 16.2% respectively.”

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN2BG1R9

“According to the John Hopkins mortality analyses Sweden’s deaths per 100k stands at 141.42 as opposed to the UK’s 191.69”
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8940 on: July 19, 2021, 12:56:35 PM »
You wouldn't know a scientific fact if it was on your face covering your nose and mouth and protecting others.

No but i'd feel comforted.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8941 on: July 19, 2021, 12:58:39 PM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/covid-19-what-does-the-science-actually-say-about-face-masks-12349337

I tried pasting the whole article yesterday but once again, doing it from a phone just doesn't work, so I ended up delting the post.

Anyway, sky news article which provides details of several studies stating masks work. I guess it depends which scientific evidence you go with.
Boing Boing

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8942 on: July 19, 2021, 12:59:33 PM »
And locked. Congrats all.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him