Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 725105 times)

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #1125 on: April 06, 2019, 10:13:16 PM »

I am quite the herbivore to be fair... likened does not mean compared. Hope this helps.
Still incorrect

I listed four managers that had gone back to a club....Moore has not, how can this be likening or comparing ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

mig

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1126 on: April 06, 2019, 10:16:19 PM »
We have consistently neglected to put money or long term thought into managerial appointments. To me this situation is Albion in microcosm.  You could argue the manager is the most important role at a football club. We historically appoint people out of work. As has been said many times the past few appointments were: Mel, Irvine, Pulis, Pardew, Moore, Shan (game by game). Who is confident it will be different next?
There is 120 million on the line and no-one knows what’s going on :)

I think the bigger issue highlighted by that list of managers is the lack of consistency in terms of approach/style of football, which in turn illustrates that the club has no long-term strategy or direction.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1127 on: April 06, 2019, 10:27:15 PM »
It beggars belief that a club vying for one of the top leagues in world football can be so ill prepared. The word shambles hardly does justice to the shambolic situation we find ourselves in. The blame lies right at the top. Lai has been a total disaster and yet I can’t see him selling while he clings to the dream of the club somehow finding its way back to the lucrative Premier League. Sadly, I can only see us going one way from now on - downhill.

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1128 on: April 06, 2019, 10:31:11 PM »
This is quite the comedy thread now.

Let's be honest, as fans, we do not know any more about what makes a successful team than anybody else.

Evens the professionals don't get it.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1129 on: April 06, 2019, 10:37:12 PM »
This is quite the comedy thread now.

Let's be honest, as fans, we do not know any more about what makes a successful team than anybody else.

Evens the professionals don't get it.
but we all have ideas and thoughts which we like to discuss - isn't that the point of an online forum ?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1130 on: April 06, 2019, 11:04:48 PM »
Beginning to think there's a big problem with the leadership of the club. We're being run really poorly atm and fans need answers at least , and changes at best.

A new manager won't change some deep seated issues overnight but these players do need a big wake up call , general defending and Hegazi showed there's a lack of discipline. We will sleep walk to the end of the season unless the dynamics change soon.

No way in the World is this team going to get promoted. They're already onto their agents or retired  by the looks of it.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1131 on: April 06, 2019, 11:06:12 PM »
Beginning to think there's a big problem with the leadership of the club. We're being run really poorly atm and fans need answers at least , and changes at best.

A new manager won't change some deep seated issues overnight but these players do need a big wake up call , general defending and Hegazi showed there's a lack of discipline. We will sleep walk to the end of the season unless the dynamics change soon.

No way in the World is this team going to get promoted. They're already onto their agents or retired  by the looks of it.

We need a new broom with the backing of the board to make the clear out but there has to be a clear vision and if that takes a couples of years then we have to stick with it. The quick fix cheap option is not working.

johnnyg

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1132 on: April 06, 2019, 11:08:10 PM »
We've tried the tippy tappy - it didn't work.
We've tried playing out from the back - it hasn't worked.
We've tried playing 3-5-2, 4-3-3, 4-2-4, its arguable none of them have worked consistently.

Do you know what I think we need for the last 10 games ?  Get back to basics, tighten up at the back, start playing a no-nonsense 4-4-2 or preferably a 4-3-2-1.  These last 10 games are like a league within a league, so to speak.  We need someone who is cut out for this... someone who has been there and done it before in this scenario...   i totally understand that he wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea right now, but considering all of the above points I made, I would contend that Sir Gary Megson is an ideal guy to bring in on a short-term contract til the end of the season.  I honestly believe he would get us up.

I posted the above on the 10 March.... and I still adamantly feel its the only way to go for the rest of the season, especially after todays shambles at Milwall.  Jenkins just needs to swallow his pride and do it.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1133 on: April 06, 2019, 11:10:44 PM »
We need a new broom with the backing of the board to make the clear out but there has to be a clear vision and if that takes a couples of years then we have to stick with it. The quick fix cheap option is not working.

Need to get a board first before we can talk about getting the backing of the board!   

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1134 on: April 06, 2019, 11:12:13 PM »
I posted the above on the 10 March.... and I still adamantly feel its the only way to go for the rest of the season, especially after todays shambles at Milwall.  Jenkins just needs to swallow his pride and do it.

There’s far too much bad blood between those two for it to happen.  Move on.

Ross

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1135 on: April 07, 2019, 12:39:48 AM »
If Megson’s dinosaur football is the answer, then I don’t want to know the question.

The board have well are truly mucked this up. The majority praised them for being decisive in rightly letting Big Dave go. Surely they must have known they needed to pay the big money for the new manager?!

Never has a team entered the playoffs with such a frustrated fanbase and lethargic squad.

Bite the bullet, pay the money, get someone in ffs  ???

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1136 on: April 07, 2019, 06:40:31 AM »
The last thing we need is someone to assist Shan . We need someone to take charge of our team, and as supporters, we need to take account of the fact , that some of our players are poor and it will not be easy for any incoming manager to ignite a successful play-off promotion drive.
Prepare for the worst and recruit someone capable of building a team from the bottom up.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 06:44:38 AM by iwastherein68 »
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1137 on: April 07, 2019, 07:19:15 AM »
The last thing we need is someone to assist Shan . We need someone to take charge of our team, and as supporters, we need to take account of the fact , that some of our players are poor and it will not be easy for any incoming manager to ignite a successful play-off promotion drive.
Prepare for the worst and recruit someone capable of building a team from the bottom up.
The silence from the board is deafening on the situation. I honestly can't see what the thinking is other than a fingers crossed approach that JS somehow manages to hold things together enough to get us up via the playoffs. From owners who are clearly very successful in business it seems amazing that there is no long term strategy. Promotion leads to the pot of gold but in which direction is our club going if by some miracle we achieve it?

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1138 on: April 07, 2019, 08:00:41 AM »
Interesting to hear Shan's after game comments yesterday,
'we'll sit down and watch the game back then pick the bones out of it and prepare for the next game'
Almost word for word what Moore used to say.
The current mindset is within the club top to bottom
We haven't improved what we had, we've replaced like for like.
We keep replacing managers yet the infrastructure remains the same.
We need a clear out from top to bottom, for that to happen we need to get owners on board that have a clear and concise vision.
The sooner Lai goes the better and until he does don't expect anything radical to happen anytime soon
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1139 on: April 07, 2019, 08:51:02 AM »
If we look at it the right way you could argue we are actually lucky right now. There is a manager available that knows how to get teams out of the Championship by playing good football. His name is Slovisa Jokanovic. No need to pay compensation or anything like that he is available NOW. We need to go and get him before another club does either before or at the end of the season.

Timing is everything and here lies a massive opportunity to bring in the ideal candidate and let him prepare for the summer transfer window.

Bring him in and give him two seasons to change the DNA of the club and get us back to the Premier League. IF we somehow manage to go up anyway let him carry on building because we won't stay up, let us come down again to go up stronger.

Perfect man available, perfect time.

This is an golden opportunity that we are going to throw away isn't it?

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1140 on: April 07, 2019, 09:22:54 AM »
If we look at it the right way you could argue we are actually lucky right now. There is a manager available that knows how to get teams out of the Championship by playing good football. His name is Slovisa Jokanovic. No need to pay compensation or anything like that he is available NOW. We need to go and get him before another club does either before or at the end of the season.

Timing is everything and here lies a massive opportunity to bring in the ideal candidate and let him prepare for the summer transfer window.

Bring him in and give him two seasons to change the DNA of the club and get us back to the Premier League. IF we somehow manage to go up anyway let him carry on building because we won't stay up, let us come down again to go up stronger.

Totally agree. Sadly he also needs to want to come. With our track record I’m not certain we are as attractive a proposition as we would like.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1141 on: April 07, 2019, 09:25:06 AM »
Totally agree. Sadly he also needs to want to come. With our track record I’m not certain we are as attractive a proposition as we would like.

Much like players, managers will come if you give them what they want. We need to take the situation by the balls and make sure he comes. That's the difference between winners and losers in life winners make things happen, they make sure they get what they want losers accept situations and bemoan their luck.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1142 on: April 07, 2019, 09:27:47 AM »

Can you remind me how the club he got promoted got on this season whilst he was still at the helm?
How much was spent on that team after he got promotion?
Would you say that the club he got promoted shows any lasting signs of a change of DNA?

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1143 on: April 07, 2019, 09:33:24 AM »
Can you remind me how the club he got promoted got on this season whilst he was still at the helm?
How much was spent on that team after he got promotion?
Would you say that the club he got promoted shows any lasting signs of a change of DNA?

If rumours are to be believed, he had next to no say in last summer’s £100m transfer spend, and didn’t end up with anything like he wanted.  Fulham had next to nobody in the squad with any PL experience.

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1144 on: April 07, 2019, 09:38:48 AM »

The problem with Jokanovic as I see it is that he had quite a number of backroom staff at Fulham so if he wanted to bring them here that’s five staff we potentially could have to pay a promotion bonus to can you see this tight fisted bunch of wet blankets doing that ? add in that the club will expect Shan to be involved and then the overhaul of the squad required with no money to spend I can see why we haven’t appointed anyone.

Our level of ambition under Jenkins  points to Appleton , Neil , or Paul Hurst someone who will be prepared to take the job and inherit Shan .

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1145 on: April 07, 2019, 09:44:27 AM »
The problem with Jokanovic as I see it is that he had quite a number of backroom staff at Fulham so if he wanted to bring them here that’s five staff we potentially could have to pay a promotion bonus to can you see this tight fisted bunch of wet blankets doing that ? add in that the club will expect Shan to be involved and then the overhaul of the squad required with no money to spend I can see why we haven’t appointed anyone.

Our level of ambition under Jenkins  points to Appleton , Neil , or Paul Hurst someone who will be prepared to take the job and inherit Shan .

Jenkins has to change his mindset and so does Lai. Will they do that? Probably not which is why we'll miss a golden opportunity.

This is an absolutely massive appointment for Albion it can be the difference between a year or two's re-build and a decade in the wilderness.

We have to get this right and if Lai and Jenkins are too blind, too arrogant or too stupid to understand that they will pay the ultimate price. Unfortunately so will West Bromwich Albion.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1146 on: April 07, 2019, 10:31:26 AM »
They have got to act fast and make an appointment because this sitting in limbo is no good for anyone.

Quite frankly, whoever they appoint they need to back because this squad, which is heralded as one of the best in the division, is rubbish

If they are going to continue with Shan - which will be a disaster - then they need to appoint someone to help him out

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1147 on: April 07, 2019, 10:38:06 AM »
Any one else get the feeling that this particular issue has passed some sort of tipping point amongst the fan base?
I see things heating up on this thread and a number of others in not a good way. I often claim to be a 'glass half full' Baggie but even I am becoming a bit frustrated by it all and the lack of a clear direction or leadership
The minutes of the Albion Assembly could well be what finally lights the blue touchpaper (assuming they are not over diluted or heavily redacted) are there not one or two on here who attend could give us a heads up if they are going to be worth waiting for?
COYB and see the travelling hoards down in Brizzle on Tuesday
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1148 on: April 07, 2019, 10:45:10 AM »
Don't know if anyone has posted this sound bite from DW:

“I have two markets now where I am absolutely ready to compete when the right opportunity comes around the corner. The set-up has to be right. The owner has to be brave enough to try and bring his club forward and the mindset has to be exciting and really challenging.”

Not us then.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1149 on: April 07, 2019, 11:09:48 AM »
According to alan nixon.. usually not far off. Alex Neil is number one target. Have to wait till summer.