Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 718266 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #1000 on: April 02, 2019, 10:58:48 AM »
Would have confidence Sam would get us up and keep us up. Sure the football might not be the best but it would be better for thclub to be in the premier League.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1001 on: April 02, 2019, 11:39:03 AM »
If the club intend keeping Shan in position for the rest of the season, why haven’t they helped him out by letting him bring experienced coaches in to share the load by now?

As I understand it, the board have continuously been in conversation with JS about help.
It was JS who declined the help so far, but I understand that discussions are on-going with a view to bringing in up to two coaches with complimentary experience to help, sometime this week.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

StourBaggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #1002 on: April 02, 2019, 12:13:58 PM »
I’m becoming more convinced by the no show of a new manager yet, we were hoping for Wagner and because of his HTFC contract conditions we’re trying to hold out til the summer now.. with odds of 22/1 tempting

Some of the odds might appear long as bookies often say that if a caretaker remains in charge for 10 games they are considered the new manager for the purposes of the betting market.

This might be why Shan's odds are short and possible summer recruitments are long (e.g. Wagner) - even if we don't make the play-offs (highly unlikely now anyway) Shan will have been in for 10 games if he's given until the end. Wagner can't take over this season so 22/1 would only come in if someone other than Shan were to see this season out.

Basically, don't read too much into the odds for "permanent" manager and be careful if odds look tempting.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1003 on: April 02, 2019, 12:20:48 PM »
Steve McClaren is available  :o :o

that generally would wind most folk up
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1004 on: April 02, 2019, 12:21:25 PM »
I'd be happy with Big Sam on a long term basis. He's always delivered results wherever he has been. The meltdown on here would be priceless  :D

i am with you. big sam for me. go get him now this very minute
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 12:24:48 PM by WBAinDEVON »

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1005 on: April 02, 2019, 12:22:41 PM »
Should we try and get Pulis back? (Hiding behing the sofa with my tin hat on).  :P

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1006 on: April 02, 2019, 12:25:41 PM »
Should we try and get Pulis back? (Hiding behing the sofa with my tin hat on).  :P

read my post above my last one :)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1007 on: April 02, 2019, 12:34:53 PM »
How anyone can want this propane-bottle headed doghead is beyond me. He hates the club, his football is rubbish and his last job ended in shame. Have we no integrity left?

mrvulgarity

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1008 on: April 02, 2019, 12:48:23 PM »
Didnt he once say he would never manage WBA?

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1009 on: April 02, 2019, 12:54:46 PM »
Blimey, some of us never learn. We are still suffering the fallout from the reign of Pulis now we are considering a guy whose tactics are very Pulisesque? It's a big no from me!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1010 on: April 02, 2019, 01:59:05 PM »
Alex Neil not going anywhere

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/back-to-the-drawing-board-west-brom-dealt-blow-in-new-manager-hunt-opinion/

The Preston boss spoke at a fans’ forum on Monday evening and put the record straight in no uncertain terms.

Neil said he has ‘no intention of going anywhere else’and continued by saying his ‘sole focus is Preston North End.’

In addition to this, he revealed the club are already planning for next season and that ‘speculation is speculation.’

shortybaggies

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1011 on: April 02, 2019, 01:59:46 PM »
Here is the video of him being asked the question: https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/1112951503327842305

To me, and I'm just speculating, this sounds like they HAVE approached him but they've got absolutely no concrete plan on why they want him, what he's being asked to do and whether this is a long term position.

Think of it what you will.
Nothing like a bit of doom and gloon

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1012 on: April 02, 2019, 02:19:50 PM »
If Allardyce came if until the end of the season only I wouldn't be averse to that at this stage. Any longer and it just wouldn't work for us or him, simple as that. The current squad would suit Allardyce in the short term much more than Jokanovic that's very clear to me (Jokanovic likes a midfield). Whatever happens, we need a new (old) structure built around two or three coaches who remain whoever the head coach is. 

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1013 on: April 02, 2019, 02:32:39 PM »
Here is the video of him being asked the question: https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/1112951503327842305

To me, and I'm just speculating, this sounds like they HAVE approached him but they've got absolutely no concrete plan on why they want him, what he's being asked to do and whether this is a long term position.

Think of it what you will.

Personally, at best, I think it's Alladyce using the media to sound us out, but more likely mischief making by talk sport.

Pretty sure when Jenkins came back he said he wanted us to revert to the DoF model that was so successful under Dan Ashworth. With the recent successes & lift in profile of our academy, I think it's unlikely that we'd turn to Alladyce.

David Wagner, struggled with players from Huddersfield's academy, but none the less was willing to develop players from other more advanced academies.
Of the potential candidates currently in the frame, I believe he is the one that would fit our profile the best.

I also believe that our academy was a big selling point for Lai, & any Head Coach that could bring players from the academy to the first team would get a thumbs up from him.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1014 on: April 02, 2019, 02:50:39 PM »
Blimey, some of us never learn. We are still suffering the fallout from the reign of Pulis now we are considering a guy whose tactics are very Pulisesque? It's a big no from me!

me too.
7 games to go, the die is already cast. What's the point in bringing another manager in off the gravy train.
Leave JS to it now for the rest of the season, bringing in somebody like Fat Sam could be really detrimental.
Let's hope the new guy is under starters orders for May 6th (wishful thinking maybe?)
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1015 on: April 02, 2019, 02:57:09 PM »
Would rather let Shan just carry on until the end of the season than give it Allardyce.

im absolutely baffled his name is being discussed considering his tactics and style of play is very similar to an ex manager who created a complete divide between the fans and club.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1016 on: April 02, 2019, 03:04:15 PM »
There is not a manager in the whole of the UK who is as negative, short termist, and creates as much consequential damage to the structure of the club than Pulis. Allardyce is nowhere near as bad as Pulis.

It’s a no from me for Allardyce but if he did get the role then I would give it a go. I doubt he is any cheaper than Jokanovic though so I don’t think there’s a chance he will join.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1017 on: April 02, 2019, 04:14:26 PM »
It is just possible (while of course making no allegations) that an aura of corruption surrounds one of the candidates this thread has been discussing - of wheeler dealing, back-handers and agents' fees.
I can't comprehend why we would take the person given our DoF business model.
Nevertheless the club is bigger than the team + manager - it's us no matter what division.  I would just have to turn my support down a notch until he moved himself on.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1018 on: April 02, 2019, 05:00:55 PM »
Allardyce?  Just NO, all the reasons given above.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1019 on: April 02, 2019, 05:29:25 PM »
We seem to have great difficulty finding decent managers.
Baggie in Southampton

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1020 on: April 02, 2019, 06:57:52 PM »
I for one hope he's true to his word.

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1021 on: April 02, 2019, 08:58:51 PM »
It is just possible (while of course making no allegations) that an aura of corruption surrounds one of the candidates this thread has been discussing - of wheeler dealing, back-handers and agents' fees.
I can't comprehend why we would take the person given our DoF business model.
Nevertheless the club is bigger than the team + manager - it's us no matter what division.  I would just have to turn my support down a notch until he moved himself on.
Again no allegations being made but I always wondered if there was an under the table transfer when Burke signed for a former manager of this club. Then he rarely gave him a place on the bench.

tlms-p23

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1022 on: April 02, 2019, 09:08:25 PM »
Not a fan of Allardyce but I don’t think he’s anywhere near as bad as Pulis. He’s had many more top half finishes and I don’t think the football is as bad. In one of Pulis’ seasons we failed to have a single shot on goal in 7/38 games (14/15 I think?). Can’t be as negative as that.

I’d be as confident as it’s possible to be that we’d get promoted if he had a full pre-season, etc. Don’t know what it would mean for the academy and club/fan relations though. Wouldnt be a progressive appointment in those respects.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1023 on: April 02, 2019, 09:57:53 PM »
Those of you saying Allardyce to end of the season that is not how he works we would be stuck with the barstool for next season come what may and paying handsomely for the privilege. Allardyce's sole redeeming feature is that he is not quite as bad as Pulis or put it another way Pulis' one use is to make Allardyce look okay.

Seriously if we want a dinosaur let's just get Rowett he would be cheaper and no worse. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1024 on: April 02, 2019, 10:26:31 PM »
Good lets hope he keeps his word the doghead