Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 725093 times)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #425 on: March 13, 2019, 08:46:45 AM »
Perhaps Chris Brunt could be on the interview panel so he can tell the new bloke what style of football to play. Or, if he's so savvy, just give him the hecking job.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #426 on: March 13, 2019, 08:51:07 AM »
Must say I’m warming to the idea of getting Alex Neil from Preston. Didn’t realise he was only 37. Doubt we’ll go for him as that’ll mean the club PAYING another club for their mananger :o :o :o

Think it would be too complicated to get him in at this stage of the season. Think Preston are within touching distance of the playoffs, so they would be more than happy to kick up a fuss to keep him. The only way that one happens is if Neil pushed for the move.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #427 on: March 13, 2019, 08:51:26 AM »
Not sure if anyone feels the same or if its just me but i couldnt care less who our new manager is!

Its a weird feeling because normally a new manager is an exciting time, you think how will they play, who will they buy, what will they do for the club but this time round i have none of that excitement whatsoever.

I think due to the Albions past track record i feel it doesnt really matter who we get, they are not going to be here for long term or be able to implement any real change so nothing to really get excited about.

Putting a non fan head on i suppose Jokanovic would seem the best fit as their is potential to play better football (if given time) and he has a couple of promotions which gets the club to the greed league.

However i really am not bothered, bring back a managerial dream team of the Alans - Pardew and Irvine for all i care!

Its a horrible horrible feeling.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #428 on: March 13, 2019, 08:55:22 AM »
Perhaps Chris Brunt could be on the interview panel so he can tell the new bloke what style of football to play. Or, if he's so savvy, just give him the hecking job.

No that never ever works  ;)
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #429 on: March 13, 2019, 08:57:23 AM »
Think it would be too complicated to get him in at this stage of the season. Think Preston are within touching distance of the playoffs, so they would be more than happy to kick up a fuss to keep him. The only way that one happens is if Neil pushed for the move.

Don't see why he'd leave a club on the way up for one on the way down.

Any manager/ coach worth his salt would look at our track record for short termism and steer well clear. Is Jenkins is Theresa May in disguise?
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #430 on: March 13, 2019, 09:06:48 AM »
Newspapers reporting Jokanovic interest has cooled.
There’s a suprise

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #431 on: March 13, 2019, 09:07:37 AM »
Not sure if anyone feels the same or if its just me but i couldnt care less who our new manager is!

Its a weird feeling because normally a new manager is an exciting time, you think how will they play, who will they buy, what will they do for the club but this time round i have none of that excitement whatsoever.

I think due to the Albions past track record i feel it doesnt really matter who we get, they are not going to be here for long term or be able to implement any real change so nothing to really get excited about.

Putting a non fan head on i suppose Jokanovic would seem the best fit as their is potential to play better football (if given time) and he has a couple of promotions which gets the club to the greed league.

However i really am not bothered, bring back a managerial dream team of the Alans - Pardew and Irvine for all i care!

I don't really see how we can play any better than we have tried to at times this season. We have tried all season to play out from the back, beat the press and get the attackers against the defenders, that is a similar style to Jokanovic. He would only be able to implent it better if he was given money to bring in his own players, which we have already seen this summer, isn't likely to happen (the squad is full of loanees and freebies).

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #432 on: March 13, 2019, 09:08:38 AM »

Same.
I've looked forward to every game this season, really got my mojo back after Pulis. Even though we were pants a lot of the time, I always felt we could win a game and, even when we didn't, I felt we could win the next one.
As it is now, I just can't get up for tonight's game. It just feels like we are in limbo again.
There's no sign of a new manager or any obvious signs of a plan from the board.
Whoever it is will have to do it with no money.

Biggest worry for me, especially hearing Brunt's comments, is that the board accept that we have footballers who, by their own admission it would seem, cannot play football, so we pick someone who will go back to a Pulis style of play.
If this happens, I really am done.
For all Moore's failings, and I agree there were many, what he gave me was hope! Hope that we could go back to being a team known for playing football, with players who get you off your seat, exciting to watch, true entertainment. No-one can argue that, at times, especially when Barnes was around, we have had that this season, albeit too fleetingly.
Time will tell if the next incumbent will pick up the baton and carry us forward in this mould but, I fear, the board will get it wrong and take another 2 steps back.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #433 on: March 13, 2019, 09:11:19 AM »
There’s a suprise

I still think we will end up with a temporary manager and look to get a permanent manager in the summer. I have a feeling the club want Wagner, he wouldn't be my choice personally.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #434 on: March 13, 2019, 09:28:59 AM »
There’s a suprise

Feigning disinterest is part of the skilled negotiators tool kit and I’m sure we’ve all employed it at some point when buying and selling. Well, I hope it is a strategy on his part.  :D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #435 on: March 13, 2019, 09:36:05 AM »
The obvious solution and before any terms, contract, etc are discussed with potential managers is get them to the training ground.

Have a day where any potential managers present their ideas to the players (maybe spread it over 2 days, dont want to risk confusing the lads with too many ideas)

Then get brunty and the lads to sit down and discuss which one they most likely will fancy trying and playing for (most likely, there are no guarentees, the lads may not fancy it after a bit the poor things).

Then go to the board and say they have decided its (name of manager) the one they have chosen to be their manager and can the board sort it out.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #436 on: March 13, 2019, 09:59:36 AM »
I get the feeling that Jokanovic is the type of person that will make increasing demands from the board in terms of salary, players etc.  If he wants £2M in the Championship what would be his demands if we managed to get in the Premiere League?

Also given the very strange player recruitment we suffered under Pardew + Hammond,  I would prefer that there was some independence/distance in the relationship  between manager and director of football.

I'm doubtful we'll get Neil but I'd prefer him to SJ.  Don't rule out a surprise - and not a nice one.

I have a left field idea that our performances dropped off when Jones lost interest after being approached by Luton and Big Dave was left to manage on his own.  Still: there was  no point in sacking him if they hadn't got anybody else lined up.  It's a farce but we're not the only club to go through managers like cycle inner tubes.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #437 on: March 13, 2019, 10:14:56 AM »
My £20 on Bilic at 28-1 is still in with a shout  ;D
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

eaststandbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #438 on: March 13, 2019, 10:20:47 AM »

The first time in supporting the baggies since the early 60s like Albion 79 I could not give 2 f—ks Who the next manger is.Its a horrible feeling.
But who ever he is will be gone is 12 months
The club stinks at the moment.From a Chinese owner who know f—ck all about football not interested in learning.Is upset Because is nice little earner has gone down the tubes and set in panic moves to rectify.As soon as the reason is over he will look to get another buyer.
Then the players in their comfortable world where they earn more in a week and nurses do in a years.Never busting a gut ambling their way on the field on the bench very breaking into a sweat.
Wearing the same shirt as Bomber,Cyrille,The King,John Kaye,Laurie
I am this brigade of pound shop fusiliers are not fit to wear the shirt that was worn the illustrious players of the past.
They are to busy planning of how to get rid of the next manager if we wants to play in a different way and they do not like it.
No something died inside players and management have stolen my baggies
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 10:39:58 AM by OldburyWBA »
I was there when The King put the ball in the Everton net.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #439 on: March 13, 2019, 10:21:50 AM »
My £20 on Bilic at 28-1 is still in with a shout  ;D

I can see this stretching out until at least the end of the early bird season ticket offer finishes with a few more 'celebrity' names added in for good measure
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #440 on: March 13, 2019, 10:29:07 AM »
Carvalhal and Moyes now 'serious' candidates according to it.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/03/13/report-west-brom-considering-carlos-carvalhal-and-david-moyes-wi/

Didn't Moyes knock us back before when his stock was higher?

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #441 on: March 13, 2019, 11:03:04 AM »
Carvalhal and Moyes now 'serious' candidates according to it.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/03/13/report-west-brom-considering-carlos-carvalhal-and-david-moyes-wi/

Didn't Moyes knock us back before when his stock was higher?
yes, I said this earlier, didn't he basically sneer and roll his eyes at the thought of lil old WBA after the heights of Man Utd?

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #442 on: March 13, 2019, 11:06:40 AM »
I said earlier in the thread I have a feeling it will be Moyes if they can convince him.

He'll have it till end of the season, if he gets us promoted then great, if he doesn't he walks away and then we can get Wagner/Neil or whoever in the summer.

Carvahal could be a good shout too, not that I would have him, but can see why the board may consider him, experience in the championship and the playoffs etc.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #443 on: March 13, 2019, 11:17:48 AM »
If this report is true the board should get Moore back then all resign one by one.
What was the point in removing Moore from his duties then appointing an Academy coach as manager until the end of the season?

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/reliable-journalist-issues-important-update-on-west-broms-managerial-hunt/

If Smith was the issue they should have just got rid of him

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #444 on: March 13, 2019, 11:39:59 AM »
If this report is true the board should get Moore back then all resign one by one.
What was the point in removing Moore from his duties then appointing an Academy coach as manager until the end of the season?

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/reliable-journalist-issues-important-update-on-west-broms-managerial-hunt/

If Smith was the issue they should have just got rid of him
As in alias Smith and Jones?

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #445 on: March 13, 2019, 11:55:20 AM »
As in alias Smith and Jones?
Pete Duel's dead, but maybe Ben Murphy is available?

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #446 on: March 13, 2019, 11:58:17 AM »
Whoever is being courted for the job needs to be given a clear indication of transfer budgets which will be available, for the Premier League, and for the Championship.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

baggieboyfred

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #447 on: March 13, 2019, 12:12:40 PM »
very concerned to hear that the board had no plan B and have given james Shan the opportunity to get a couple of results and keep the caretaker/managers job to the end of the season , what happens if he makes it to Wembley, will they offer him the job full time irrespective of whether we go up or not.
one thing for dead certain is that unless he alters the tactics and gets 6 points , sacking Big Dave would seem a pointless exercise, to be honest  I would rather have took our chances with Big Dave , till the end of the season  and get a new guy in  close season , who can get working on the wholesale changes we will need to make to get into and stay in the premiership

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #448 on: March 13, 2019, 12:41:00 PM »
I suspect that the proven candidates being mentioned in connection with the vacancy, will all expect to be remunerated in the region of £2m.

Would David Moyes, ex Everton, Manchester United, Real Sociedad, Sunderland and West Ham United come for less?

Would Sam Allardyce, ex Bolton Wanderers, Newcastle United, Blackburn Rovers, West Ham United, Sunderland, England, Crystal Palace, Everton, Bolton Wanderers, come for less?

The list of candidates with reasonable CV's who would want £2+ goes on, including Jokanovic

That leaves us with those desperate for the job and with not such impressive CV's

1. Neil (may not be desperate)
2. McInnes
3. Rowett
4. Carvalhal
5. Hughes
6. Appleton

The school of thought that Jokanovic is expensive and would be paid more than players is flawed in my view. I'm not an accountant, but as I understand it, for tax purposes, players have a book value, which is written down over time and allows us a tax benefit on an loss of value.

So, surely a players value to the club including wages would be a loss more than £2m a year to the club and continues to diminish during his employment with us. I understand we can sell the asset and realise a cash value, which we would be taxed on and may or may offset loses, but if his market value diminishes for whatever reason, we could have lost more heavily than taking a punt on Jokanovic.

The above probably doesn't make sense to a qualified accountant, but I hope I've explained a point of view, which could also be flawed regarding the loss incurred by players as well as a Head Coach that I think, from my logic, would be less than a player. if we have an accountant on the forum, perhaps he / she would comment on my theory?

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #449 on: March 13, 2019, 01:19:02 PM »
Far from it tipton throstle, i dont moan or groan more than any other fan, it would seem some other fans agree too, you seem very quick to try and shut down anybody who has a different view to you which could be labelled, pathetic?

You dont have to agree with my opinion, i dont really care either way, but our fans and board keep requesting changes, then when they dont work perfectly want managers sacked every six months (not all fans)

This isnt based in darren moores sacking alone, we have sacked 3 managers in 18 months, 4 of our last 5 managers have been sacked in less than 8 months (they arent opinions they are facts)

The evidence shows that we either are poor at appointing managers which doesnt inspire confidence for the next person or when we do appoint them we get rid of them at the first sign of trouble, so on that basis, no i dont care who the manager is because there is a 80% chance they wont be here by xmas anyway judging by our track record.

As stated elsewhere, should we give a manager a three and half year deal and its made clear players do it their way or the players go then i would be a lot more interested, but again based on past evidence that is unlikely to happen and its the manager likely to be going, not the players.

If jimmy shan remains in charge (and i wish him well as a loyal albion servant) the first team coach in the supposed failings of moore, it clearly shows that as a club there is no plan in place, its scattergun, hope something sticks and so i have little faith whoever does get the job will be given time to have any real impact anyway.