Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 718266 times)

alex1

• WBA Coach

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #275 on: March 11, 2019, 12:51:56 PM »
Rangnick would be a no-brainer, but he won't swap going for a Champions League slot with Leipzig to trying for the Championship Playoffs. He is now doing the job of 2 people at Leipzig after what seems like a bust up with his No.2 Hasenhuttel. 

Any thoughts on Craig Shakespeare? Has a West Brom pedigree and knows the club and the area.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

GrumpyBaggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #276 on: March 11, 2019, 12:52:11 PM »
Mmmm.
Grumpy by name grumpy by nature

Both!

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #277 on: March 11, 2019, 12:56:09 PM »
So the new guy should hit the ground running?

What are your minimum expectations, in terms of points, by the end of the season?
What happens if he doesn't achieve them?

Then He will want him gone, just like Darren Moore!

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #278 on: March 11, 2019, 12:56:40 PM »
Rangnick would be a no-brainer, but he won't swap going for a Champions League slot with Leipzig to trying for the Championship Playoffs. He is now doing the job of 2 people at Leipzig after what seems like a bust up with his No.2 Hasenhuttel. 

Any thoughts on Craig Shakespeare? Has a West Brom pedigree and knows the club and the area.

open minded on Shakey, the reasons you give are irrelevant though !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #279 on: March 11, 2019, 01:04:49 PM »

Yes - he should have been Darren Moore's number two.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #280 on: March 11, 2019, 01:11:43 PM »
So the new guy should hit the ground running?

What are your minimum expectations, in terms of points, by the end of the season?
What happens if he doesn't achieve them?

Yes, the new guy should hit the ground running with the quality we have at our disposal, but I'm happy to judge him on a similar amount of games to which Moore has had. I am not someone who has had it in for DM, I wanted him to succeed and at times it looked as though he could but we have regressed as the season has gone on.

The minimum expectation I have would be playoff. If we don;t achieve that then we have appointed the wrong candidate but if we get Jokanovic in, then I wouldn't be over surprised if we are challenging for auto promotion again if we get help from other teams and we can start playing with the thing that we have lacked all season......COMMON SENSE.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #281 on: March 11, 2019, 01:28:14 PM »
Yes, the new guy should hit the ground running with the quality we have at our disposal, but I'm happy to judge him on a similar amount of games to which Moore has had. I am not someone who has had it in for DM, I wanted him to succeed and at times it looked as though he could but we have regressed as the season has gone on.

The minimum expectation I have would be playoff. If we don;t achieve that then we have appointed the wrong candidate but if we get Jokanovic in, then I wouldn't be over surprised if we are challenging for auto promotion again if we get help from other teams and we can start playing with the thing that we have lacked all season......COMMON SENSE.

Exactly.  Performances and points haul were getting WORSE as the season progressed.  You would hope it would be the opposite as the team started to knit together and the squad became familiar with the boss's tactics, formation, system, managerial style etc.

I was really annoyed when Bartley and Brunt were overplayed from the season start, resulting in some adverse performances.  However, in early November we built momentum from picking Barry and having the Hegazi/Dawson combination.

It went downhill for me over Xmas and beyond as we failed to rotate the squad properly for the 4 Xmas fixtures, drawing at home to Sheff Wed and losing at Blackburn.  On losing Harvey Barnes we should've tightened up defensively knowing we wouldn't score so many.

In the last few weeks we've had this ridiculous scenario with Jones falling out with people, messing the club about over managing Luton and more importantly UNDERMINING's Big Dave.  The players probably lost focus on the training ground, not knowing who was running the show!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #282 on: March 11, 2019, 01:55:33 PM »
Exactly.  Performances and points haul were getting WORSE as the season progressed.  You would hope it would be the opposite as the team started to knit together and the squad became familiar with the boss's tactics, formation, system, managerial style etc.

I was really annoyed when Bartley and Brunt were overplayed from the season start, resulting in some adverse performances.  However, in early November we built momentum from picking Barry and having the Hegazi/Dawson combination.

It went downhill for me over Xmas and beyond as we failed to rotate the squad properly for the 4 Xmas fixtures, drawing at home to Sheff Wed and losing at Blackburn.  On losing Harvey Barnes we should've tightened up defensively knowing we wouldn't score so many.

In the last few weeks we've had this ridiculous scenario with Jones falling out with people, messing the club about over managing Luton and more importantly UNDERMINING's Big Dave.  The players probably lost focus on the training ground, not knowing who was running the show!
We got more points in the last 15  games than we did the first 15.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #283 on: March 11, 2019, 01:58:37 PM »

So all he has to do is keep us where we are now?
and, if we don't go up, you won't judge him until November?

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #284 on: March 11, 2019, 02:19:17 PM »
Matt Wilson Twitter Account

“Albion approach Slavisa Jokanovic over vacant head coach role. Technical director Luke Dowling, who worked with him at Watford, is leading the search. Others will be sounded out at start of this week, but Jokanovic in pole position as it stands ”

Hadn’t realised Downing worked with Jokanovic at Watford, not sure if that is a positive or a negative
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #285 on: March 11, 2019, 02:32:52 PM »
We got more points in the last 15  games than we did the first 15.

Yes that is true. 

I did state that playing Bartley was holding us back in those first 15 games. 

Unfortunately when it came to the crunch of Sheff U and Leeds back to back, we were found wanting.  The annoying thing is they are not in any way superior technically, just better set up with a streetwise manager. 

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #286 on: March 11, 2019, 02:42:07 PM »
Okay. Wilson has just put out an article about Appleton so let me get this across.

The new manager should have NO prior association with the club. So that's a thanks but no thanks to McInnes, Shakespeare, Appleton. We need a clean break.

Jokanovic or bust.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #287 on: March 11, 2019, 02:48:17 PM »
Okay. Wilson has just put out an article about Appleton so let me get this across.

The new manager should have NO prior association with the club. So that's a thanks but no thanks to McInnes, Shakespeare, Appleton. We need a clean break.

Jokanovic or bust.

Might be bust....could be too much of a poisoned chalice for Jokanovic and his career ambitions. We have no money (it seems) and an ageing squad.

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #288 on: March 11, 2019, 02:50:01 PM »

Jokanovic or bust.

It's one of those rare instances where I agree with you Jacko  ;)

McInnes has done nothing with his Aberdeen side in the pub league except occasionally offer Celtic a faux rivalry until Rangers got back up to speed - which has now happened and Aberdeen nowhere near them.

Shakespeare.. just why? if you are going to go with him you may as well have kept Moore

Appleton - backwards step even compared to Moore, no thanks
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #289 on: March 11, 2019, 02:50:48 PM »

Jokanovic or bust.

100% agree with you on all counts!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #290 on: March 11, 2019, 02:52:22 PM »

Jokanovic or bust.

Agreed. He's the only proven and realistic option out there. He's been there and done it while playing attractive football. Hopefully we get him in ASAP and get to work extracting the best out of this squad.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #291 on: March 11, 2019, 02:55:35 PM »
I would have liked us to tempt Monk over, transfer ban, 12 point deduction, fire sale, etc all coming Blues way...
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #292 on: March 11, 2019, 03:25:50 PM »
I would have liked us to tempt Monk over, transfer ban, 12 point deduction, fire sale, etc all coming Blues way...

To be fair that is a good shout. What he has extracted from the mess that is blooze is pretty remarkable
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #293 on: March 11, 2019, 03:32:20 PM »

He's just sorted one pile of doo doo out I wouldn't imagine he be keen on sorting another one out in quick succession
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #294 on: March 11, 2019, 03:37:25 PM »
He's just sorted one pile of doo doo out I wouldn't imagine he be keen on sorting another one out in quick succession
In 10-13 games he could have a trip to Wembley and promotion on his CV, he would jump at it for the right price im guessing!

merson94

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #295 on: March 11, 2019, 03:43:54 PM »
The shortlist is pretty dire. Recycled managers that will just all play the same football. But Jokanovic is the obz the clear runner for me as he's been there and done it with Fulham, albeit through the play-offs... As much as we moaned about Big Dave not learning from mistakes, he can leave with his head held high after regaining our honour and at the end of last season and where we are now
EAT MY GOOOOAAALLLLL

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #296 on: March 11, 2019, 03:45:38 PM »
All a bit quiet. Any more rumours anyone?

I do hope there aren't any re: Big Sam, Hughes or Moyes (or similar)..... >:(

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #297 on: March 11, 2019, 03:48:33 PM »

not a "pile of doo doo" here mate, just need someone with common sense and knows how to play the right way with the players we have which is more than good enough to seriously challenge for the top 2.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #298 on: March 11, 2019, 04:06:38 PM »

Didn’t we just fire a guy who came to a club in crisis and on its knees (that hadn’t won a game in months). Also sold his best players and didn’t give him adequate funds to replace them...

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #299 on: March 11, 2019, 04:16:48 PM »
Didn’t we just fire a guy who came to a club in crisis and on its knees (that hadn’t won a game in months). Also sold his best players and didn’t give him adequate funds to replace them...
Define a crisis, i'd say Blues wins that one hands down to be honest