Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 718389 times)

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #200 on: March 10, 2019, 08:48:37 PM »
If squad quality is purely about having Premier experience them Stoke have the best squad surely. Berahino, McLean and Fletcher have bags of it, perhaps we should have kept them.
Our squad is best in name alone. Moore made mistakes throughout the season but to absolve the players of any blame is more "clueless" than anything he did.

The team has failed collectively, but lets not forget the good things the team has done. We have scored lots of goals and are only a bit of defensive organisation away from topping this league. Our failures have been defensively and for me that has been largely down to the system and coaching. McLean struggled to get in our team, Fletcher is past his sell by date and Berahino well the less said about him, the better.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #201 on: March 10, 2019, 09:02:01 PM »
You are right, putting it in capital letters doesn't make it fact. The prior interest/bids from Premier League clubs and level of ability that each one of the players I'm referring to possesses DOES MAKE IT FACT  ;)

Oh and the fact that some of them actually ARE Premier league players already.
I'll ask again. What interest/bids were these then?
Some of them ARE premier league players? Some of them WERE, but they weren't good enough and we got relegated.
You are just making statements without backing them up with any evidence whatsoever

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #202 on: March 10, 2019, 09:03:21 PM »
West Brom to continue talks with  Slavisa Jokanovic as former Fulham manager heads four-man shortlist

Please let it be Jokanovic. An article from the reliable John Percy

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/03/10/west-brom-continue-talks-slavisa-jokanovic-former-fulham-manager/
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #203 on: March 10, 2019, 09:14:12 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if he is in place Monday. They know we can't mess about with only 10 games left.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #204 on: March 10, 2019, 09:14:31 PM »
You are right, putting it in capital letters doesn't make it fact. The prior interest/bids from Premier League clubs and level of ability that each one of the players I'm referring to possesses DOES MAKE IT FACT  ;)

Oh and the fact that some of them actually ARE Premier league players already.

You make me laugh.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #205 on: March 10, 2019, 09:18:25 PM »
Such a poor argument. You picked our worst players who barely play and wouldn't make the bench with a fully fit squad to show why we haven't got the best squad in the league? Doubt Norwich and Leeds' 4th/5th choice players are markedly better than Brunt, Bartley, Mozza or Hoolahan.

Yeah, I apologise it is a brilliant squad made up of other team's players and young kids interspersed with some in their late 30's who frequent the medical facilities more than the training pitches.

We should be top just because we in the prem last season and kept players who proved in the 6-7 games that I they performed when they wanted to not when their fans demanded and deserved it..

An absolute brilliant squad which is so great nobody bids for any of our players (because the best ones aren't ours).

We should have sewn up promotion by Xmas.

lindenbaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #206 on: March 10, 2019, 09:22:18 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if he is in place Monday. They know we can't mess about with only 10 games left.

Yes, this week to evaluate and hopefully pick up some points.  and the next two weeks break to prepare for the final push. A difficult time for whoever comes in.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #207 on: March 10, 2019, 09:39:42 PM »
I used to be a big fan SJ, but how he allowed over £100m to be wasted unproven prem players like £35m on Serri, worries me significantly.

He is definitely not a quick fix as it took him a few seasons ar Fulham to go up.

We need to revamp the recruitment process and adopt the money ball approach of brentford mixed with something akin to the knowledge of the young German coaches like Wagner and Farke who clearly have a tremendous database of European players who can do job in England.

There seem to be 2 clear different successful approaches which championship clubs have adopted recently and that is the German one or the Agent one.

One gets you pukki for free the other gets you a £52m loss as all agent ensures he gets paid.

Let's hope we are smart and follow the sensible approach and implement a sustainable long term recruitment system.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #208 on: March 10, 2019, 09:42:18 PM »
Yeah, I apologise it is a brilliant squad made up of other team's players and young kids interspersed with some in their late 30's who frequent the medical facilities more than the training pitches.

We should be top just because we in the prem last season and kept players who proved in the 6-7 games that I they performed when they wanted to not when their fans demanded and deserved it..

An absolute brilliant squad which is so great nobody bids for any of our players (because the best ones aren't ours).

We should have sewn up promotion by Xmas.

Have a quick look through each Championship squad on transfermarkt or wikipedia and make your own mind up, they are nowhere near as strong as even a bog standard Prem side. Nobody bid for Pukki, Sharp or Pablo Hernandez in January either, again your argument is flawed.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #209 on: March 10, 2019, 09:56:40 PM »
I have said it is a brilliant squad and obviously doff my hat to the extensive football knowledge of transfermarket and Wikipedia over my own eyes and lifetime of supporting the Albion.

An absolute brilliant squad whose mistakes have turned winning positions against the like of boro and Brighton into defeats.

Constant stupid mistakes are always a hallmark of a great squad.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #210 on: March 10, 2019, 10:37:00 PM »
Jokanovic took a while to get going with Fulham, although does get the team playing good football when he does. Wouldn't be expecting instant improvement with him but I'd be fairly confident about next season.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #211 on: March 10, 2019, 10:38:22 PM »
I used to be a big fan SJ, but how he allowed over £100m to be wasted unproven prem players like £35m on Serri, worries me significantly.

He is definitely not a quick fix as it took him a few seasons ar Fulham to go up.

We need to revamp the recruitment process and adopt the money ball approach of brentford mixed with something akin to the knowledge of the young German coaches like Wagner and Farke who clearly have a tremendous database of European players who can do job in England.

There seem to be 2 clear different successful approaches which championship clubs have adopted recently and that is the German one or the Agent one.

One gets you pukki for free the other gets you a £52m loss as all agent ensures he gets paid.

Let's hope we are smart and follow the sensible approach and implement a sustainable long term recruitment system.

SJ took over at Watford in October 2014 and they got promoted that season - it wasn’t
even “his” squad. He took over at Fulham in December 2015 and they finished 11 points above relegation - again not “his” squad. The following season they reached the playoffs, and the following season they got promoted.

I’d say that his Championship record is pretty outstanding.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #212 on: March 10, 2019, 10:39:56 PM »

The recruitment at Fulham was shocking but not all down to Jokanovic, there was a spell where a friend of the owners son was responsible for it all and it seems many signings were not approved by Jokanovic and he was having to put them in a team somehow.

He only joined in December 2015, kept them up that year, got them in the play offs in first full season and promoted second season so not a bad job at all.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Plastic Paddy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #213 on: March 10, 2019, 10:54:59 PM »
West Brom to continue talks with  Slavisa Jokanovic as former Fulham manager heads four-man shortlist

Please let it be Jokanovic. An article from the reliable John Percy

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/03/10/west-brom-continue-talks-slavisa-jokanovic-former-fulham-manager/

Jokanovic would also be my first choice however I am unsure if we have the players to fit the way he likes to play. His most successful seasons were when he had a focal point in Attack (Deeney at Watford and Mitrovic at Fulham).

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #214 on: March 10, 2019, 11:03:36 PM »
Jokanovic would also be my first choice however I am unsure if we have the players to fit the way he likes to play. His most successful seasons were when he had a focal point in Attack (Deeney at Watford and Mitrovic at Fulham).

WEVE GOT KANNNUUUUUU  :D

I’m hoping the new Guy is in place to watch his team play against Swansea.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #215 on: March 10, 2019, 11:04:11 PM »
We also haven't got a midfielder capable of consistently pulling the strings as Cairney did for them last season - back to the point of recruitment which will be happening promotion or not, and the DoF and the manager hopefully being on the same wavelength. 

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #216 on: March 10, 2019, 11:14:02 PM »
Of the names mentioned I only want Jokanovic. I then want the incumbent to never pick Jake Livermore, Kyle Bartley or Jay Rodriguez ever again. At a push you could add Johnstone to this also. We badly need to move away from below average triers.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #217 on: March 10, 2019, 11:27:58 PM »
Of the names mentioned I only want Jokanovic. I then want the incumbent to never pick Jake Livermore, Kyle Bartley or Jay Rodriguez ever again. At a push you could add Johnstone to this also. We badly need to move away from below average triers.

Harsh on J-Rod and Johnstone (although I’d still look to sell both and upgrade in the summer). Totally agree re Livermore and Bartley!

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #218 on: March 10, 2019, 11:40:41 PM »
The recruitment at Fulham was shocking but not all down to Jokanovic, there was a spell where a friend of the owners son was responsible for it all and it seems many signings were not approved by Jokanovic and he was having to put them in a team somehow.

He only joined in December 2015, kept them up that year, got them in the play offs in first full season and promoted second season so not a bad job at all.

I did not say he did a bad job, and I have liked him for a while and said I wanted him when Pulis went.

But, it does concern me that he didn't have the balls to put his foot down and say I need a replacement for Tim ream not a Jean serri and the fact he walked out on Watford after promotion because his contract was not right rather than test himself in the prem with team he got promoted.

I think some are reading to much into the link between him and LD as the family that own Watford (pozzo I think) own udinese and Grenada and loaned most of the players to Watford so they went up as they obviously see the prem as the golden goose that must be protected after buying the hornets for a reported £500k.

So many loans that the EFL brought in a new rule restricting the number of loans

The jury is truly out on LD as in my eyes he hasn't brought in any unknown players from abroad or the lower leagues to improve us using his knowledge and contacts.

We went for tried and tested short term loans.

Hopefully, LD will prove himself in due course but the fact Watford not forest fought to keep him does not inspire me with confidence.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #219 on: March 10, 2019, 11:54:37 PM »
It is looking increasingly like it is going to Jokanovic.

Looking at what he did at Fulham tactically he used a 4-3-3 and played some of the best football that the Championship has seen.

However it is an absolute world away from where we are at the moment.

In attack Jokanovic's 4-3-3  featured two wide players Sessegnon left and Piazon right with Mitrovic as the target man. The very obvious issues here are our complete lack of a traget man and other than HRK we don't have a left footed wide player.

The good news is that he has a third of his first choice midfield in Johansen but what he doesn't have is the  mobility of McDonald and Cairney

Defensively he was blessed with Ream and Kalas the latter being one of the best ball playing centre backs playing outside a top division. At full back he had Targett and Fredericks who both are attack minded particularly Fredericks. Hence the importance of a mobile Central Midfield combination.

He might of orchastrated the side to perfection but it was a very well balanced squad.

Regardless of who we appoint they will have the same challenges Moore had and I won't expect better outcomes. We might make the  play offs and we might get promoted or as likely not. However the real challenge starts next season with a long overdue rebuild how the new Head Coach moulds that future is what will matter.What happens between now and the end of the season unless it is a complete and utter disaster is almost a free hit.   
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #220 on: March 11, 2019, 04:45:10 AM »
 ;D Whats Meggo doing??? :D

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #221 on: March 11, 2019, 07:19:07 AM »
Unless the club announces his replacement before Wednesday, it makes an even bigger mockery of the decision to sack Moore.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #222 on: March 11, 2019, 08:20:01 AM »
While on the face of it our squad has major limitations, a new manager coming in like Jokanovic might just look at 4 or 5 of the younger players and say right this lad looks the best bet for the type of player I want in that position. Granted it doesn't sound like a fast-track to promotion this season and agree that overall our squad needs major attention.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #223 on: March 11, 2019, 08:50:25 AM »
Has to be Jokanovic from the names mentioned - otherwise we may as well kept Darren Moore.

It's a no from me, to Carvalhal & Neil

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #224 on: March 11, 2019, 08:52:25 AM »
Has to be Jokanovic from the names mentioned - otherwise we may as well kept Darren Moore.

It's a no from me, to Carvalhal & Neil

Agreed. Jokanovic has proven pedigree at getting teams promoted from Championship. Something we probably should have considered back in the summer when making our decision then !