Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 844545 times)

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #3925 on: April 07, 2019, 09:01:46 PM »
Moore was pragmatic managing in the prem which was fair enough in terms of position and personnel and him wanting to make a good fist of it. I do think though that he realised what the fans thought at the end of the Pulis era and genuinely wanted to provide a more exciting team in the Championship. Barnes was signed pre season before Jones got here. It wasn't the case that Moore + Shan would have kept going with the pragmatism if Jones hadn't come in.  The question is whether we would have kept the 3 at the back as long and the playing out from the back as long.

If you're crediting DM with Harvey Barnes, don't forget DM was chasing Maddison from Peterborough.
When Harvey Barnes came, nobody had heard of him.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3926 on: April 07, 2019, 10:24:51 PM »
If you're crediting DM with Harvey Barnes, don't forget DM was chasing Maddison from Peterborough.
When Harvey Barnes came, nobody had heard of him.
Barnes had done well for Barnsley in the Championship the previous season so he was not an unknown plucked from Leicester's backup squad. My point is I'm certain Moore genuinely wanted a more attacking style, that idea didn't arrive with Jones.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3927 on: April 08, 2019, 08:17:54 AM »
Barnes had done well for Barnsley in the Championship the previous season so he was not an unknown plucked from Leicester's backup squad. My point is I'm certain Moore genuinely wanted a more attacking style, that idea didn't arrive with Jones.

I'm sure you're right that DM wanted a more attacking style, but IMO, GJ was a major player in that.
This forum was going balistic for weeks when we hadn't appointed an assistant to DM over the summer. I'm convinced that GJ was considered, by the club, to be the catalyst to make that work.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3928 on: April 11, 2019, 10:09:43 AM »
So, Moore was sacked because he failed to get "the best squad in the Championship" (as many posters repeatedly told us) into the automatic positions. Some told us that so called mediocre managers would have WBA six points clear of everybody.
Would that squad be the same one that posters are now lining up to castigate and dismember on the Next Manager thread....?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3929 on: April 11, 2019, 11:17:41 AM »
So, Moore was sacked because he failed to get "the best squad in the Championship" (as many posters repeatedly told us) into the automatic positions. Some told us that so called mediocre managers would have WBA six points clear of everybody.
Would that squad be the same one that posters are now lining up to castigate and dismember on the Next Manager thread....?

its not unreasonable to argue a club has a good squad that isn't performing, ie Chelsea under Conte &  Man utd under Mourinhio.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:04:50 PM by Albionic »
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3930 on: April 11, 2019, 11:52:40 AM »

Actually we dont know that do we.......?
MAGA!

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3931 on: April 11, 2019, 12:06:36 PM »
Actually we dont know that do we.......?
Quite right. But that was what many posters repeatedly claimed. Many posts kept churning out the mantra of the 'best squad' bollox. This was the stick with which that DM was hit.
Are there still posters who would make the same assertion now?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3932 on: April 11, 2019, 02:48:13 PM »
on ability alone, this squad has to be up there with the likes of Sheff Utd and Norwich, BUT the real question is, do they want it enough ???
I have a theory that some of the more experienced players are trying to eek out as much as they can and recognise that promotion almost certainly guarantees them being moved on, whereas a near miss and yet another new manager may be convinced to let them have another crack at it, ergo another £1-1.5m in the bank.

The loanees will not be that fussed either, which just leaves the kids

call me cynical .........

the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3933 on: April 11, 2019, 03:43:47 PM »
on ability alone, this squad has to be up there with the likes of Sheff Utd and Norwich, BUT the real question is, do they want it enough ???

Would agree about Sheffield United and Norwich. I think a lot of the time; the discussion was looking at how squad compared to those in and around us; which was generally the top four. I would have had a number of squads I felt were significantly better than us but doing far worse such as Stoke City and Aston Villa (at the time).

Do think we had some massive shortfalls in squad which were increased significantly with departure of Barnes and (as is usual) injury to Phillips. Never really feel we control the game from midfield. Started off with three very good defenders but back-up doesn't seem to be great and did get Holgate in to make it a decent four. 

stoxman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3934 on: June 15, 2019, 10:56:31 AM »

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3935 on: June 15, 2019, 01:05:49 PM »
This sums the man up for me.  What a thoroughly nice human being.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11741339/darren-moore-interview-west-brom-favourite-ready-for-new-challenge-after-eye-opening-kenya-trip
Happy with Bilic  and we move on but still think WBA FC is a worse place without him. Really hope he gets that 2nd chance and smashes it.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3936 on: June 15, 2019, 01:20:01 PM »
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3937 on: June 15, 2019, 01:27:09 PM »
Nice Bloke, Generally Cares about Albion and everything he does even Charity will always be the manager who nearly pulled off the Greatest of Great Escapes that I could have seen, Had Players who didn't care for him wish him luck and hope someone at the Albion reappoint him in the Youth Academy or Resvere Coach.
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3938 on: June 15, 2019, 04:45:39 PM »
Nice Bloke, Generally Cares about Albion and everything he does even Charity will always be the manager who nearly pulled off the Greatest of Great Escapes that I could have seen, Had Players who didn't care for him wish him luck and hope someone at the Albion reappoint him in the Youth Academy or Resvere Coach.

If he wanted it... but nicely said BaggieBoy.

Regardless of what individuals thought of his management (and I think he deserved more time but happy where we are now in terms of appointment).... anyone who doesn't LOVE Big Dave is a doghead in disguise.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3939 on: June 15, 2019, 05:37:52 PM »
If he wanted it... but nicely said BaggieBoy.

Regardless of what individuals thought of his management (and I think he deserved more time but happy where we are now in terms of appointment).... anyone who doesn't LOVE Big Dave is a doghead in disguise.

Could not agree more Sir!
Wish him every success.Would love him back  coaching.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3940 on: June 15, 2019, 05:42:59 PM »
Don't think anyones ever not said he was a top bloke tbf just wasn't cut out for management yet. I too hope he finds his way back here once he's got more experience under his belt.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3941 on: June 16, 2019, 12:42:38 AM »
I hope he does well in future.

I also wish he never does well against us and most certainly never to our detriment.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 12:52:07 PM by SmethDan »
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3942 on: June 16, 2019, 12:07:39 PM »
Great man and will always have a good reception  at the club but just not cut out for management, or at best league 1/2.

mr multivac

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3943 on: June 16, 2019, 01:51:39 PM »
If frank Lampard leaves Derby for Chelsea,Darren may turn up there

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3944 on: June 16, 2019, 05:06:27 PM »
Lovely bloke chyte manager
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3945 on: June 17, 2019, 12:39:52 PM »
Love Big Dave who was a great player for us and an inspiration in the dressing room.  However, I am not surprised we sacked him.  I was there at the Ipswich match and the couple before where it was clear that the team had hugely lost momentum.  The passing was dreadful, the confidence low, and we made Ipswich look like Brazil.  At that stage of the season, we did not look like we would make the playoffs, let along go up.  So we parted company with our Manager.  It then came as a surprise that we had no real idea what we were going to do next. 

DM's appointment in the first place was in my view cynical.  He had some development to do before taking up the role, and would have been better as a strong assistant to a new coach, or going out to manage in League one before coming back to us.  However, appointing DM allowed the Board to blame him when it went wrong, and to deflect blame for what I am increasingly seeing as a Board with no clear strategy on how to run the club.  I was always a fan of Peace, where I understood exactly what and why he did things. 

Given he has lost money, why does a Chinese investor maintain s stake in a Backcountry club to which he has no historic connection?  I am not clear personally, and I do not think it will last or end well.  However, I live in hope (though not expectation).

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3946 on: June 17, 2019, 12:42:44 PM »
Lovely bloke chyte manager
Think that's a bit unfair, he did a decent job, just didn't quite have that extra bit of oomph. If I were to put together a list of chyte managers he would be nowhere near the top.
Hope he gets the chance to continue his managerial career and is a huge success.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3947 on: June 17, 2019, 01:09:44 PM »

He did the best with the resources he had, we all agree that a massive rebuilding is now needed. He was sacked when we were 4th and we finished 4th, I can't say he did much wrong. All teams have a dip in form and he was sacked unfairly to be a scapegoat for a disastrous winter transfer window.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3948 on: June 17, 2019, 02:31:05 PM »
Apart from having limited knowledge of tactics or positions and not knowing when to use substitutes to an advantage, he did little wrong.
 A very nice man. He loved the Albion. ::)
Don't expect him o be winning anything soon, or even in my lifetime.

DurhamBaggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #3949 on: June 17, 2019, 02:37:36 PM »
Unpopular opinion - but Darren came across as incredibly thick. His pre/post match interviews were quite frankly, at times, toe curling.

I would guess this contributed towards his downfall - you can only imagine what some smart backside executives made of him during meetings.

I wish him all the best.