Author Topic: 20 Jun 2020 Albion 0 Birmingham City 0  (Read 48492 times)

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #325 on: June 20, 2020, 05:14:03 PM »
Should have won by 3 or 4? Did we even have a shot on target?!

apparently 1 but I cant remember
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

TLMS17

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #326 on: June 20, 2020, 05:14:23 PM »
The comments on here youve gotta laugh!   ;D

First game back, can people just chill a little, blues set up solid, all season we’ve struggled to break teams down that have done this, no idea what people thought was suddenly going to change

All attackers were very poor today, but we’ve got an extra point than Fulham and its 1 more game out the way

We won’t steam roll these last 9 games, no idea what has given people the idea we will
Born For Albion     Live For Albion     Die For Albion

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #327 on: June 20, 2020, 05:14:52 PM »
People can argue that we’re rusty. But teams around us have managed to turn up with some intensity today and get results.

I think we’re going to struggle scoring and winning games playing at this pace. We’ve never been great at breaking down teams and rely heavily on counter attacks, pacey passing and quick breakaways. None of which we’re going to get much of for the rest of this season.

Balls into the box were particularly poor today, as was our decision making in the final third. Left Kanu and Phillips on far too long for me. Edwards wasn’t great when he came on either. Think we need a better plan B for when things aren’t working.

Bilic ran out of ideas in the second half and seemed to panic and throw on every attacker we have, which still didn’t work. There’s no point having two big strikers on and not getting balls into the box.

I said in the in game thread that every game I’ve watched this week has had the intensity, atmosphere and pace as if it’s the 94th minute the entire game. After itching for football to return, I’m having second thoughts already.

Worried about Brentford next after their win at Fulham today. No doubt Leeds will turn up against Cardiff too. Hope we’re not just going through the motions again like this time last year.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #328 on: June 20, 2020, 05:14:59 PM »
Albion can still do it no matter what the team or coach, frustrate the hell out of me.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #329 on: June 20, 2020, 05:15:27 PM »
Should have won by 3 or 4? Did we even have a shot on target?!

I didn't say we had shots on target, but we had enough possession around the edge of the box to have scored 3 or 4 (if we'd have played the ball in).
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #330 on: June 20, 2020, 05:15:33 PM »
Wondering what game some of you watched. We bossed that, just couldn't put the ball in the net. Blues came to stifle and did it.
very good play until the final 3rd (where it matters most) but again Blues crowded the box a lot of the time giving us no space, other times Phillips, Edwards, Robinson and Pereira wasted opportunities to put the ball in.

Should have won by 3 or 4 but didn't. 7 points above 3rd with 1 less game to play.

Bonus is Pereira has now triggered the deal clause.

Another bonus us Brentford won't sit back and have 11 men behind the ball so that should suit us next Friday night

We bossed the first half in terms of possession and corners won. We created absolutely nothing though. The over-complicating of every set piece was one of the more annoying aspects, seems to happen every time Phillips and Pereira are on the pitch together.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #331 on: June 20, 2020, 05:16:20 PM »
The comments on here youve gotta laugh!   ;D

First game back, can people just chill a little, blues set up solid, all season we’ve struggled to break teams down that have done this, no idea what people thought was suddenly going to change

All attackers were very poor today, but we’ve got an extra point than Fulham and its 1 more game out the way

We won’t steam roll these last 9 games, no idea what has given people the idea we will

what did we do as an attacking force exactly with better footballers. some of these comments above are justified
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 05:18:52 PM by WBAinDEVON »

TLMS17

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #332 on: June 20, 2020, 05:18:49 PM »

what did we do as an attacking force exactly with better footballers. theses comments are justified

Because we have better footballers does not give us some god given right to have won today, blues sat back and we struggled to break them down, just like other teams we’ve played that have done similar and struggled again, I’m glad we didn’t lose cause some of you would be on suicide watch
Born For Albion     Live For Albion     Die For Albion

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #333 on: June 20, 2020, 05:20:48 PM »
How the hell did Phillips get in the first team has been useless all season. If I ever see Zohore in Albion kit it will be too soon total waste of money.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #334 on: June 20, 2020, 05:24:22 PM »
Because we have better footballers does not give us some god given right to have won today, blues sat back and we struggled to break them down, just like other teams we’ve played that have done similar and struggled again, I’m glad we didn’t lose cause some of you would be on suicide watch

they had the better chances even though they sat back, I didn't once get out of my seat. maybe criticism will spur them on for the next game . glad we are away because even without the moans and groans the players haven't performed at home again

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #335 on: June 20, 2020, 05:26:55 PM »
On a positive note, I thought Ajayi was a rock, as usual, and his partnership with Hegazi is one we can really build around.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #336 on: June 20, 2020, 05:28:02 PM »
Disappointed yes, but we've actually widened the gap to the 3rd placed team, which is equivalent to 2 wins and a draw difference and a far superior goal difference, which is more like a 3 wins gap in the 8 remaining games, I think  :D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Wbamitch

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #337 on: June 20, 2020, 05:32:25 PM »
Seems like we want to rely on other results to get us over the line. Great favour by Brentford earlier, unfortunately we have to play them next week and they could be the real danger team to watch out for.

I’m really hiding my true level of negativity on what I feel about that game. I suppose it very much sums up our home performance level and we should be grateful it wasn’t another defeat to a dreadful team. Didn’t really make much difference without the pressure of the home support/expectation.

I think we’ll do it, probably getting a few good away wins but it’s massively deflating after being presented with a great opportunity in a favourable fixture.

Ross

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #338 on: June 20, 2020, 05:42:35 PM »
Bad performance

Did people watch the Brentford game!? Equally as bad

We will do better v Brentford as they need to score and hopefully Slav has worked out that Krov & diangana start in midfield

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #339 on: June 20, 2020, 05:42:46 PM »
I posted this in the "Pre Match Chat"

"Personally, I think we could have done without a local derby and all the added rivalry that goes with it for our first game back as they are levellers in most instances.

But, having said that, playing behind closed doors neutralises the crowds impact on the game, but still the players are playing for bragging rights to some extent."

I would sooner it wasn't a local derby though"

score: ? v ?"

I was surprised at what I considered was an unrealistic level of expectation, given the last 100+ days we have all had to endure, but perhaps, on reflection, that was the reason for such optimism
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #340 on: June 20, 2020, 05:55:14 PM »
Blues did a number on us, always got plenty of men behind the ball they never had too much attacking intent, just the long ball up to Juke.
Putting the first game back to ring rust, better off than at the start of the day, so there are some plus's.
Brentford will have more attacking intent so hopefully it will suit us better.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #341 on: June 20, 2020, 06:06:20 PM »
Thought blues were there for the taking if we had any one with their shooting boots on.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #342 on: June 20, 2020, 06:17:44 PM »
Frustrating yes, but not a terrible performance.  We take possession for granted but we knocked it around well enough it was just the tricks, flicks and final balls that didn't come off.  Phillips particularly guilty I felt. BLues were unlucky to be beaten at St Andrews, they are well organised and hard to breakdown.  Days like these are when the clinical sniffer is worth their weight in gold, a SKP who would have scored at the death, off his backside if needed.  Niether Hal, CA or Zohore have that instinct.  CA had it in the past but seems to be caught rooted to the spot an awful lot when the ball is flying about the box.  We've lost to worse teams and are top for the night. 

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #343 on: June 20, 2020, 06:18:48 PM »
We don't seem to want to shoot on sight. We have to return to the way we played at the beginning.

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #344 on: June 20, 2020, 06:22:41 PM »
Diagana has basically been a star on the left wing so why did we put him on the right and whilst accepting Blues got most people behind the ball we had about a dozen corners so that had no effect on them so why were we unable to put any corners into the danger area?

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #345 on: June 20, 2020, 06:42:25 PM »
Diagana has basically been a star on the left wing so why did we put him on the right and whilst accepting Blues got most people behind the ball we had about a dozen corners so that had no effect on them so why were we unable to put any corners into the danger area?

A lot of decisions didn't make sense. Note that Hegazi is useless at attacking corners, we've scored a few from corners and free kicks this season but that was with Bartley and Ajayi together. Given how lethargic and disjointed we are I would make Brentford favourites next week.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #346 on: June 20, 2020, 06:46:10 PM »
A lot of decisions didn't make sense. Note that Hegazi is useless at attacking corners, we've scored a few from corners and free kicks this season but that was with Bartley and Ajayi together. Given how lethargic and disjointed we are I would make Brentford favourites next week.

The beauty of playing Hegazi, is calamity Kyle and chocolate wrists dont get the opportunity to put in one of their bi-gamely ricks.

The corners were dreadful Andy Carroll wouldnt have got any joy.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #347 on: June 20, 2020, 06:47:16 PM »

Hegazi is a much better defender than Bartley is though and wont be responsible for so many goals conceded. That was the one change I did agree with.

I could live with Furlong for O'Shea as we were always going to have a lot of the ball.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #348 on: June 20, 2020, 06:57:35 PM »
The Brentford game is massive isn't it. Yes, we've got eight more matches but that's the key one for me. Win that and I think a lot of the pressure's off...
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #349 on: June 20, 2020, 07:27:36 PM »
Wondering what game some of you watched. We bossed that, just couldn't put the ball in the net. Blues came to stifle and did it.
very good play until the final 3rd (where it matters most) but again Blues crowded the box a lot of the time giving us no space, other times Phillips, Edwards, Robinson and Pereira wasted opportunities to put the ball in.

Should have won by 3 or 4 but didn't. 7 points above 3rd with 1 less game to play.

Bonus is Pereira has now triggered the deal clause.

Another bonus us Brentford won't sit back and have 11 men behind the ball so that should suit us next Friday night
How are we supposed to win 3 or 4 when we only had one shot on target? Birmingham where bloody hopeless and we couldn't break them down, no excuse that was awful.