Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 661999 times)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #525 on: August 13, 2019, 11:56:08 AM »
.......Of the 62 goals we conceded I could probably only count on one hand the ones which were 'his fault' .........

One hand eh? Hello Wolfie, nice of you to drop by  ;) .

On a more serious note and to add perspective, in recent posts even I've defended him better than the 'system' did at times last season. I also acknowledge that in my opinion he wasn't entirely at fault for either goal this season and we should all be aware of his previous saves too. I've been present for all bar one of his performances in an Albion top and he's pulled off some crackers.

Goalkeepers make saves, it's part of what they do and although the saves stat is correct how many were routine and how many did he have no right to get to? Ie how many would most keepers have expected themselves to save? Equally how many did we concede that he would have been angry with himself for missing out on? I don't know but I'd think they'd be more telling stats.

Keepers can be sloppy and make basic technical errors in terms of footwork, positioning and handling. This too can be due in part to team mates positioning, good interchanges of play by the opposition or even the weather. For whatever reason I would suggest he's made considerably more than five basic mistakes which have led to goals.

Again this happens and as stated new season, new system and 'clean sheet' from me. For the record I'm not a Johnstone hater but I'm not a Johnstone apologist either. There is a middle ground to be had which I feel we both occupy.

Don't get me started on K.......... ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #526 on: August 13, 2019, 12:04:56 PM »
I do not blame SJ for the Milwall goal, there were a lot of other errors that led up to that. It is just on the evidence of a full season and both games this season there is something missing in his game. As many have already said,  It may be confidence, it may be lack of mobility, or poor positional sense, or maybe just that he is not a fully competent goalkeeper. Often the opinion is that he ‘could have done better’. Well my opinion is that we need a keeper who does the basics more consistently. He does not need to be world class, just competent and consistent. Then the defence know what to expect and works better as a team unit.  Sam just does not seem the right fit at the moment, so perhaps another keeper might be. Bond from what I have seen seems at least as capable and deserves a decent chance to stake his claim.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #527 on: August 13, 2019, 12:13:45 PM »
One hand eh? Hello Wolfie, nice of you to drop by  ;) .

On a more serious note and to add perspective, in recent posts even I've defended him better than the 'system' did at times last season. I also acknowledge that in my opinion he wasn't entirely at fault for either goal this season and we should all be aware of his previous saves too. I've been present for all bar one of his performances in an Albion top and he's pulled off some crackers.

Goalkeepers make saves, it's part of what they do and although the saves stat is correct how many were routine and how many did he have no right to get to? Ie how many would most keepers have expected themselves to save? Equally how many did we concede that he would have been angry with himself for missing out on? I don't know but I'd think they'd be more telling stats.

Keepers can be sloppy and make basic technical errors in terms of footwork, positioning and handling. This too can be due in part to team mates positioning, good interchanges of play by the opposition or even the weather. For whatever reason I would suggest he's made considerably more than five basic mistakes which have led to goals.

Again this happens and as stated new season, new system and 'clean sheet' from me. For the record I'm not a Johnstone hater but I'm not a Johnstone apologist either. There is a middle ground to be had which I feel we both occupy.

Don't get me started on K.......... ;D .
The difference with a keeper and a defender is that it's easier to replace a defender. As I said in another post, unless Bond forces his way through, Johnstone is here to stay and that's what gives people the jitters and leads to him getting more stick.
Personally, whilst not being the worst keeper, he does not fill me with confidence. He has looked better though, overall this season, and you are right, he cannot be blamed for the goal on Saturday but, even so, his positioning for the corner was atrocious. Like a PES keeper from the 90's.
Hope Bond at least gives Slaven food for thought tonight as we need competition.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #528 on: August 16, 2019, 07:33:37 PM »
Going back to the days of Alan Miller I'm struggling to remember a worse first choice keeper up here.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

saml30

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #529 on: August 16, 2019, 07:44:38 PM »
Going back to the days of Alan Miller I'm struggling to remember a worse first choice keeper up here.

Zuberbuhler(sp) was a lot worse, Carson made just as many, if not more mistakes. We have been spoiled by Hoult and Foster being long serving players, in between those we still had some inconsistent keepers
Blue and White Barmy Army !!!

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #530 on: August 16, 2019, 08:25:08 PM »
Paul Crichton was bad! I met Alan Miller's Mrs at a players meeting she was rather beautiful Claire Sweeney!!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #531 on: August 16, 2019, 10:00:05 PM »
Zuberbuhler(sp) was a lot worse, Carson made just as many, if not more mistakes. We have been spoiled by Hoult and Foster being long serving players, in between those we still had some inconsistent keepers

Zubi made 15 appearances in 2 years, hardly first choice. Carson was/is a far better keeper.

We haven't had a 1st choice gk as bad as SJ since Crichton (who only made 33 starts in 2 and a half seasons).

Paul Crichton was bad! I met Alan Miller's Mrs at a players meeting she was rather beautiful Claire Sweeney!!

Crichton was pre-Miller (slight overlap perhaps)

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #532 on: August 16, 2019, 10:22:47 PM »
Watching him, I feel that he hasn't been coached enough to watch the game and be prepared to come out earlier for crosses.
He has to learn (rather quickly too) to organise his defence. He has to show authority.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #533 on: August 16, 2019, 11:29:38 PM »
Looking at who we have had as number 1’s in the last 20+ years, we probably haven’t done too bad.

Foster, Hoult and Kuszczak were all brilliant in their time here.

Kiely, Kirkland, Jensen and my old personal favourite Miller were steady and reliable.

Zuberbuhler and Carson are probably the only 2 who I think had poor spells here as number 1. I think Johnstone is better than Zuber, but on a par with Carson for me at the minute. All reputation, but ultimately limited and doesn’t make enough of an impact to justify the odd mistake (although Johnstone makes less than Carson did when here).

Interestingly, youth team keeper Elliot Morris who was our third choice keeper to Jensen and Chris Adamson in 1999 is still playing for Glenntoran (Belfast) aged 38. He has made over 600 appearances for them! Chris Adamson was playing Sunday league football in the Warley Sunday league up until last season down Hyde’s road.
Boing Boing

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #534 on: August 21, 2019, 10:23:19 PM »
Literally nothing to do again except save one shot yet still concedes from outside the box at the near post.

We must give Bond a run of games. If he's not up to it go and get another keeper in January.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #535 on: August 21, 2019, 10:25:33 PM »
Literally nothing to do again except save one shot yet still concedes from outside the box at the near post.

We must give Bond a run of games. If he's not up to it go and get another keeper in January.

How on earth was he meant to save it? The best in the world wouldn't have got that it was unstoppable. Instead questions should be asked from the midfield/defence.

I know Johnstone has his problems but the goal wasn't his fault.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #536 on: August 21, 2019, 10:27:50 PM »

I’ve been really critical of Johnstone this season mate but I actually thought he had a good game tonight and couldn’t do anything about the goal . The goal was down to giving the reading lad to much time to get his shot out

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #537 on: August 21, 2019, 10:29:12 PM »

It's literally gone in the top corner mate. Other than having 8ft arms there was sod all he could have done.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #538 on: August 21, 2019, 10:39:24 PM »
Thing is, he NEVER dives! So many goals where he doesn't even attempt. Foster made some absolute worldies in the goal for us, saves worth as much as goals. I don't expect him to be as good as Foster but would hope to see the odd top drawer save.

I'd say give Bond a chance.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #539 on: August 21, 2019, 10:41:33 PM »
I’ve been one of his critics but Christ you aren’t saving that tonight, if we want a keeper who will save them then we are going to be unhappy for a number of years ;D  ;D

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #540 on: August 21, 2019, 10:43:04 PM »
Don't think he's as bad as some say but he's certainly not a promotion chasing / winning keeper .
When you need that bit extra to get you out of trouble he lacks it , nothing personal as he's as honest as the days long .

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #541 on: August 21, 2019, 10:45:16 PM »
I’ve been one of his critics but Christ you aren’t saving that tonight, if we want a keeper who will save them then we are going to be unhappy for a number of years ;D  ;D

He never even tries though when it's a belter. Ok granted, even if he tried he most likely doesn't save that but there's been many where i've looked and though "if he tries then maybe he makes a great save."

I'm frustrated with him.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #542 on: August 21, 2019, 10:47:58 PM »

No one was saving that Jacko……

Gave the number 14 all the time in the world and he placed it perfectly. He was a real handful all night, their version of Romaine...….

The fault lay with the outfield there, just standing off admiring him.I
MAGA!

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #543 on: August 21, 2019, 11:12:08 PM »
There is absolutely no blame on Johnstone for that goal. Played well tonight in my view.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #544 on: August 21, 2019, 11:20:47 PM »
He never even tries though when it's a belter. Ok granted, even if he tried he most likely doesn't save that but there's been many where i've looked and though "if he tries then maybe he makes a great save."

I'm frustrated with him.
This
I wonder how many fans that have a correct score bet ever put us down for a clean sheet?
I think he is weak, some may defend him, but do you think we ever look like a clean sheet is coming when he plays?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #545 on: August 21, 2019, 11:36:52 PM »
This
I wonder how many fans that have a correct score bet ever put us down for a clean sheet?
I think he is weak, some may defend him, but do you think we ever look like a clean sheet is coming when he plays?

His clean sheet record for us is appalling. Time to drop him for Bond. I don’t blame him for not saving their goal tonight but to not even dive and have a go at getting it isn’t acceptable. He’s not good enough, seen that now for 50 odd game.

jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #546 on: August 21, 2019, 11:55:31 PM »
It's clear he is a scapegoat on this forum to some. He has had 2 solid games in a row now.

I was right behind that shot in the Smethwick and Johnstone would of been unsighted. By the time he saw it and realised it didn't get blocked by a defender covering that side of his goal it was almost past him.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 11:58:07 PM by jamesh_91 »

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #547 on: August 22, 2019, 12:28:11 AM »
It's clear he is a scapegoat on this forum to some. He has had 2 solid games in a row now.

I was right behind that shot in the Smethwick and Johnstone would of been unsighted. By the time he saw it and realised it didn't get blocked by a defender covering that side of his goal it was almost past him.
26 year old professional goalkeeper
He’s had 2 solid games in a row

Just think about that ......
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #548 on: August 22, 2019, 12:44:39 AM »
26 year old professional goalkeeper
He’s had 2 solid games in a row

Just think about that ......

Also what constitutes solid? He didn't have anything else to do tonight? The camera save from the free kick Livermore stupidly gave away? I'd have saved that.

kie the baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #549 on: August 22, 2019, 03:24:40 AM »
thought he had decent game in my view, nothing he could do with the goal, had a chin wag with my 5 year old on his warm up and made his day so back off yeah!!! :P