Author Topic: 29 Mar 2019 Albion 3 Birmingham City 2  (Read 46072 times)

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #275 on: March 29, 2019, 11:40:21 PM »
I think people are being overly critical of Shan, remember before we hadn't won in about 6 home games? He's inexperienced and has come in and won 3 on the bounce, putting us in a much better position for the play-offs...and dare I say it even back into the automatics if he keeps at it.

Anyway, my main point is that so far he's proven to be a better manager than Moore. It's still early days but he's proven he has a bit extra when it comes to management - I think a big part of it is making substitutions much earlier, something Moore was very bad at.
I'm not saying that Shan is a messiah by any means - but I think he is clearly better than Moore and the results prove it. I can't help but feel under Moore we'd have 5 points from 9 instead of the full 9. Another example is playing Townsend; a player who is actually put in the correct position, rather than shoe-horning in Mears or Bartley etc. That is the difference and even though we weren't great tonight at times, we still won.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #276 on: March 29, 2019, 11:41:23 PM »
 Before I comment my whole match review, why did hegazi feel the need to go off the pitch rather than go down on the pitch. Felt him missing from the free kick didn’t help when they scored.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #277 on: March 29, 2019, 11:43:14 PM »

The one in stoppage time was a superb professional foul, would have been dereliction of duty had he not clattered him. This is where I struggle with your say what I see by line.  ;D

I also thought Blues were more cynical than we've ever been this season.

Agree with most of the rest...

Agree and actually though Livermore had a good game too

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #278 on: March 29, 2019, 11:44:53 PM »
I think people are being overly critical of Shan, remember before we hadn't won in about 6 home games? He's inexperienced and has come in and won 3 on the bounce, putting us in a much better position for the play-offs...and dare I say it even back into the automatics if he keeps at it.

Anyway, my main point is that so far he's proven to be a better manager than Moore. It's still early days but he's proven he has a bit extra when it comes to management - I think a big part of it is making substitutions much earlier, something Moore was very bad at.
I'm not saying that Shan is a messiah by any means - but I think he is clearly better than Moore and the results prove it. I can't help but feel under Moore we'd have 5 points from 9 instead of the full 9. Another example is playing Townsend; a player who is actually put in the correct position, rather than shoe-horning in Mears or Bartley etc. That is the difference and even though we weren't great tonight at times, we still won.

Couldn't disagree more. You can only compare Shan to Darren's Premier League record at this stage which was absolutely fantastic.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #279 on: March 29, 2019, 11:50:17 PM »

No because it wasn't.

Yes it was. Awful manager, just my opinion of course.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #280 on: March 29, 2019, 11:53:57 PM »

No because it wasn't.

Oh yes it was...... Panto season?? 

First half shocking all round... players, fans, team set up, the whole shebang! The atmosphere felt tense and made me wonder when the home fans had become such miserable bastards.  Second half the teams efforts lifted the fans who responded well and actually got behind the boys to the end.

Shan got some new manager luck having to bring on HRK as he really changed the game.  He can hold the ball up and draws fouls like a master craftsman.  Gayle needed that goal, could now do with one from the feet as he put a couple of half chances well over.  Edwards looked a bit lost at first but thought he had a decent game once he found his feet. Brunteh is still not a CM but what fantastic delivery and Jake........moves like a tugboat and passes like one too at times but what a hit!!

Miss Darren Moore but the main difference seems to be an acceptance that you can just clear your lines to ease pressure and our players need that.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 11:58:51 PM by Oldbury24 »

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #281 on: March 30, 2019, 12:10:36 AM »
Another downer for me was the booing at half-time. It is normally not necessary to let the players know that their performance was abject, they surely know it. I do wonder what we have become sometimes.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #282 on: March 30, 2019, 12:19:41 AM »
First half we went with a flat 4-4-2. It didn't work at all.

Second half, Robson-Kanu changed the game, played higher up the pitch in more of a 4-3-3 and started to hold the ball up and bully the Blues defenders. They didn't like it one bit.They struggled to cope second half, foul after foul.

Overall we deserved the win but Jimmy Shan needs to learn lessons from that first half, it was really poor.

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #283 on: March 30, 2019, 12:20:05 AM »
Another downer for me was the booing at half-time. It is normally not necessary to let the players know that their performance was abject, they surely know it. I do wonder what we have become sometimes.

Here here. Disgrace, yesThe first half was poor however there is no need to slide the team like people did after one half

Vassassin

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #284 on: March 30, 2019, 12:46:12 AM »
A tough well earned win against what I thought was a very decent championship side. Couldn't really expect much in the first half when we have 3 older players who are unfortunately slow and a young kid in the midfield. Brunt & Mozza have been great servants to our club for many years and it is sad that age has caught up with them. HRK creates chaos in the forward half, sometimes I think he doesn't even know what he will do, it was the perfect remedy to break down a pretty stubborn defence, overall a great result. We do not have the Man City squad, a couple of average prem standard players, half a dozen below average prem players and loans and kids is what is here. Still think that as a team we can win the remaining games, up to the top 3 to slip up. Fingers crossed.
Return our Parthenon Marbles, we're going nuts without them!

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #285 on: March 30, 2019, 07:10:24 AM »

Couldn't disagree more. You can only compare Shan to Darren's Premier League record at this stage which was absolutely fantastic.

I'm not saying to give Shan the full time job, but my point is at this moment the change has worked - call it 'new manager bounce' or whatever you like, the difference is clear that Moore was stagnating whereas under Shan we look better.
Besides, a big reason for Moore's success in the Premier League was the clear difference in tactics to what he used in the Championship; there he was defending for most of the games whereas he had to attack more in this division, so he was always going to look different in a harder league.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #286 on: March 30, 2019, 10:11:16 AM »
I'm not saying to give Shan the full time job, but my point is at this moment the change has worked - call it 'new manager bounce' or whatever you like, the difference is clear that Moore was stagnating whereas under Shan we look better.
Besides, a big reason for Moore's success in the Premier League was the clear difference in tactics to what he used in the Championship; there he was defending for most of the games whereas he had to attack more in this division, so he was always going to look different in a harder league.

I agree with you, Shan has done nothing magic, just put square pegs in square holes, stopped the ridiculous passing out from the back with no gain or advantage, plus a clear greater tactical awareness.
He probably is not the long term solution, but he is, without question doing a good job, if he gets us promoted however, it will pose a real dilemma.
Baggie in Southampton

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #287 on: March 30, 2019, 10:14:15 AM »
Was a definite penalty by the way, foul was inside the box, tried to jump the challenge (just outside the box) but was clipped by a raised leg inside the box.
Baggie in Southampton

stever60

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #288 on: March 30, 2019, 10:16:53 AM »
Was a definite penalty by the way, foul was inside the box, tried to jump the challenge (just outside the box) but was clipped by a raised leg inside the box.
think you might be the only one that thinks that
Don't call me Walt

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #289 on: March 30, 2019, 10:22:15 AM »

100% outside the box

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #290 on: March 30, 2019, 10:31:52 AM »
100% outside the box

Watch it again
Baggie in Southampton

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #291 on: March 30, 2019, 10:32:42 AM »
think you might be the only one that thinks that

No I agree with him. The actual contact with the raised leg is on the line and on the line is inside the box. Penalty for me.

Blues second goal clear foul on Mason Holgate as well so they are not as hard done to as they are making out.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #292 on: March 30, 2019, 10:39:53 AM »
First half was very, very poor. Blues had all the ascendancy and we could not get any momentum together. We looked like a side that was threw together of the morning.

Second half was much better - the change may have been enforced but HRK certainly changed the game - he held the ball up and gave Rodriguez and Gayle a platform to play off

We always looked vulnerable and never quite comfortable - again there are questions regarding the dynamic of that midfield, but I’m glad to see us get over the line

The Hawthorns was bouncing in the second half - always a great sight
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #293 on: March 30, 2019, 10:46:32 AM »
As they say, nailed on penalty, ref was ‘spot on’..........!

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #294 on: March 30, 2019, 11:22:13 AM »

No I agree with him. The actual contact with the raised leg is on the line and on the line is inside the box. Penalty for me.

Blues second goal clear foul on Mason Holgate as well so they are not as hard done to as they are making out.

Without wishing to be pedantic, it was inside the line and not even questionable, the ref was also in the perfect position to see it.
Baggie in Southampton

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #295 on: March 30, 2019, 11:53:05 AM »
Was going to give credit to Jimmy for replacing Morrison at half time but being reported that James felt his hamstring. First half was poor and changes had to be made at interval especially in midfield where we have a problem.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 11:56:21 AM by LiamTheBaggie »

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #296 on: March 30, 2019, 11:58:11 AM »

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #297 on: March 30, 2019, 12:23:03 PM »
First half we went with a flat 4-4-2. It didn't work at all.

Second half, Robson-Kanu changed the game, played higher up the pitch in more of a 4-3-3 and started to hold the ball up and bully the Blues defenders. They didn't like it one bit.They struggled to cope second half, foul after foul.

Overall we deserved the win but Jimmy Shan needs to learn lessons from that first half, it was really poor.
First half was a 4 4 1 1 mate , JRod in the hole behind Gayle . Personally think its a waste playing JRod there , never was or will be that type of player

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #298 on: March 30, 2019, 12:37:35 PM »
First half was a 4 4 1 1 mate , JRod in the hole behind Gayle . Personally think its a waste playing JRod there , never was or will be that type of player

J Rod is just that type of player that drops deeper, rather like Bergkamp used to behind Henry at Arsenal. He doesn't play on the last defender. I'd still call it 4-4-2 but if you want to call it 4-4-1-1 I wouldn't argue with it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 01:04:45 PM by Atomic »

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #299 on: March 30, 2019, 01:09:53 PM »

J Rod is just that type of player that drops deeper, rather like Bergkamp used to behind Henry at Arsenal. He doesn't play on the last defender. I'd still call it 4-4-2 but if you want to call it 4-4-1-1 I wouldn't argue with it.
Have to accept each others view mate , for me he takes too long to get the pass away .
I prefer him floating at the front or coming in from the left.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.