7 (26.9%)
Long
0 (0%)
Rosenberg
0 (0%)
Popov
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: 28 Oct 2012 Newcastle 2 Albion 1  (Read 58638 times)

Mat15(MH)

• Reserve Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #325 on: October 28, 2012, 09:45:52 PM »
Not sure what to make of the Long/Lukaku debate.

I only saw the good bits of Lukaku's game today as I missed the first half where he missed two one on one's I've read. Can't really say whether Long would have scored them or not, as I'm sure Lukaku will score goals this season that Long couldn't and vice versa. And I haven't seen the chances either.

I'm not sure on whether Lukaku should now hold the shirt. I think Long was very unfairly dropped, although in the end it seemed to work. Long has been in great form recently, he seems to have added a bit more to his game in terms of first touch and a bit more general play(cross for Mozza's goal) but it does seem that we resort to more long balls when he plays, for whatever reason that is.

Will most likely be a more horses for courses selection over the season, if Chelski let us keep him ;)

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #326 on: October 28, 2012, 09:47:07 PM »
Not to split hairs but if Long had scored from 4 yards from Odemwingie's cross that'd be 3 more points  ;D

If Lukaku scores those two easy one on ones we probably win.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #327 on: October 28, 2012, 09:48:55 PM »
Lukaku played a good game apart from not finishing those 2 chances. Held the ball, Passed it around good and fast. His first touches were better then normal even more quite good actually. In the first half he was on an island though. In offence we had to little support or just to little offence. Should have scored one of the 2 chances though. Pleased with the goal. After Long came on we still had chances to score but we should atleast had a draw. That goal was so unlucky. Up to next game with a new win for us.

Greeting,

New foreign fan :)

He seriously needs to discover that he has a right foot. Very frustrating player. He has potential though but as far as I'm concerned, I would have him on the bench behind Shane Long. The two chances he had today, at least one of them should have been buried, which adds to his miss last week against City which again, he should have scored.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #328 on: October 28, 2012, 09:57:17 PM »
He seriously needs to discover that he has a right foot. Very frustrating player. He has potential though but as far as I'm concerned, I would have him on the bench behind Shane Long. The two chances he had today, at least one of them should have been buried, which adds to his miss last week against City which again, he should have scored.

Quite simply we look a better side with Lukaku in the team than Long. In my humble of course.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Lawro Predicts
« Reply #329 on: October 28, 2012, 09:58:18 PM »
Was only a goal out, well done Lawro...  ???

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #330 on: October 28, 2012, 10:06:03 PM »
Quite simply we look a better side with Lukaku in the team than Long. In my humble of course.

I'll have to disagree with that, Jacko. I've been a critic of Long for a while but he's performed very well this season and so far made me eat my words. I do think there's a better balance to the side when Long is involved and that his hard work and nuisance like approach is also an important quality which we miss when Lukaku plays. Don't get me wrong, Lukaku has potential but he is still very raw at the moment and that leads me to prefer us starting with Shane Long.

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #331 on: October 28, 2012, 10:42:52 PM »
Seems clear that SC sees the role as a joint one between the two of them. Is he right? We look a decent team with both but do teams perform better with a settled line up either way?

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #332 on: October 28, 2012, 11:04:09 PM »
I like that we stay positive right till the final whistle but we need to temper that when in the final minutes of a game.

We are guilty of playing "hopeful" attacking balls rather than holding possession and actually controlling the end of the match.

Today a low percentage ball to no one, turned over possession and allowed Newcastle to come forward and fluke their winner.

We need to learn to play smarter..

BTW: I thought Cisse was off side when the ball struck him... I  haven't seen a good replay yet so was he?

On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #333 on: October 28, 2012, 11:09:48 PM »
just got back from the game. once again today it was about chances not taken; with lukaku having 2 good 1 on 1s with krul and not making the most of either. we had a few good set pieces aswell, namely the one right at the end where we thought it might just be a stoke away moment once again(odemwingies free kick near the corner flag-wasted). however, it was once again a bitter blow where you cant unfortunately throw the blame entirely on one person. the forward ball from mozza i think, was a bit wasteful but the setup play for the winner was good from newcastle and a wicked deflection meant we left empty handed and i stormed out of the ground after another hard luck story! we have to cut out these late goals, i know there aint much we couldve done today to prevent that but it just lowers the team esteem levels time and time again. you could see last week had knocked us a bit early on today, and it took time to come into our stride. good goal from lukaku, but he couldve been more clinical today, and i do feel if long had started with lukaku coming on later we couldve scored 2 or 3 today. oh well, s'ton at home next, if we are to show this league we mean business we have to win this kinda of game. COYB

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #334 on: October 29, 2012, 12:02:15 AM »
Just got back, thoroughly enjoyable day.

Thought we were brilliant if I'm honest. Probably our best performance of the season and should really have won the game. Newcastle didn't deserve that but I must say how sloppy the goals we've conceded are. G-Mac should be doing much better with the first and the second look like its took a massive deflection to go past Foster.

Thought the goal took the stuffing out of us in the first half and our ball retention wasn't at it's best but I couldn't fault in the second half. Our movement, possession and ball winning skills were very good and we really should have put Newcastle to the sword after equalising. Bitterly frustrated with Lukaku who appeared to have our best chances and fluffed them both in the first half, I was disappointed to see him start as I feel he disrupts our rhythm slightly and again that has proved to be the case. Fair play for him to get into those positions but you've got to be taking your chances at this level.

Overall, pleased with our performance but disappointed with the final score. Newcastle looked very poor I must say.
100% agree with your assessment Liam - absolutely every word.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #335 on: October 29, 2012, 12:07:12 AM »
Re: Lukaku, having watched Match of the Day, the first was a fantastic save, shot going in the far top corner. The second a decent save as a combination of Krul getting out quickly and the ball getting "stuck in" Lukaku's feet delayed the shot. Both were on target and were decent efforts.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #336 on: October 29, 2012, 12:15:00 AM »
I think a striker of his 'ability' should be putting chances like that away. I would back Odemwingie or Long to put one or both of those away more times than not.

Not convinced by him to be honest. Appreciate he is still young but he's not an inexperienced player, he's a full international for one of the countries who's side is on the up.

I hope Chelsea are not putting pressure on us to play him as for me if they are then he can go back leaving us to pick who we want not who we are told.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #337 on: October 29, 2012, 12:17:12 AM »
I think a striker of his 'ability' should be putting chances like that away. I would back Odemwingie or Long to put one or both of those away more times than not.

Not convinced by him to be honest. Appreciate he is still young but he's not an inexperienced player, he's a full international for one of the countries who's side is on the up.

I hope Chelsea are not putting pressure on us to play him as for me if they are then he can go back leaving us to pick who we want not who we are told.

I'm 100% certain this isn't happening. Peace would never allow Ashworth to broker a deal like that.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #338 on: October 29, 2012, 12:23:57 AM »
I don't think it is myself to be honest despite the reports.

CFCFanHyde

« Reply #339 on: October 29, 2012, 01:11:12 AM »
Thoroughly disappointing results today all around :<

I agree with your assessments of lukaku, he is a bit of a raw player, needs to be more composed.

On the other hand, West Brom kind of fell asleep when Long came on.

Wasted chances all around.

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #340 on: October 29, 2012, 06:38:19 AM »
Re: Lukaku, having watched Match of the Day, the first was a fantastic save, shot going in the far top corner. The second a decent save as a combination of Krul getting out quickly and the ball getting "stuck in" Lukaku's feet delayed the shot. Both were on target and were decent efforts.

Personally Jacko I thought both efforts lacked conviction. The sort any top level striker would put away more times than not. Still got a bit to do for me too. Hopefully he will improve as the season progresses.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #341 on: October 29, 2012, 07:58:05 AM »
Personally Jacko I thought both efforts lacked conviction. The sort any top level striker would put away more times than not. Still got a bit to do for me too. Hopefully he will improve as the season progresses.

He was a lot better Yesterday still not the finished article however.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #342 on: October 29, 2012, 08:01:25 AM »
Watchng on a stream, he first Lukaku chance was actually a very good save, had the benefit of several replays.

I was screaming at the screen for Odemwingie to take his time when we had a free kick on the edge of the box with 70 secs to go, put the ball in properly on the penalty spot, maybe get a corner, make sure the last minute was up their end, but he just hit it straight at the first defender and they ended up coming away.

Brilliant stuff for 7 games and 80 mins, maybe we had the best of the breaks until then, lets see how we respond to the rub of the green going against us, must really put Soton away next week.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #343 on: October 29, 2012, 08:05:32 AM »
I wasnt to keen on Lakaku startting Yesteday, but he did well enough to prove me wrong.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #344 on: October 29, 2012, 08:40:29 AM »
Gutted...again. Poor defending (and a huge fluke) cost us today and it's not often we say that . Thought Olsson was poor some of his distribution was woeful. G-Mac was slightly better but both at fault for the first goal.

I think we really missed Yacob, Mulumbu looked a little lost for the first 20 mins or so without him. Morrison gradually got to grips with the role and he and Mulumbu ended up having good games, actually thought Mulumbu was man of the match. Dorrans was good strong in the tackle and made some good passes...why wasn't he on free kick duty?

I was frustrated with Odemwingie, he just didn't seem to get forward as much as he usually does and some of his passing was poor .

Couldn't understand starting Lukaku ahead of Long. He really should have buried one of the first half chances. Scored his goal eventually and some of his running was okay. For me though he scores 1 in every 8 or 9 chances he gets which isn't good enough. Thought Long was okay when he came on, he got nothing from the ref (again) but caused them problems at the back.
I don't think we see enough of Rosenberg to really make much comment. I think he was okay yesterday, and made a couple of decent passes and tackles. I'd be interested to see him, Long and Odemwingie in the front roles.

As an aside where was the famous home support we hear so much about? Another only sing when they score team!

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #345 on: October 29, 2012, 09:51:11 AM »
Lukaku has a few big wrinkles in his game yes, but he also creates more chances for himself than Long does. I love Long's work ethic and the way he puts himself about, and that is definitely not Luk's strength. On the other hand Lukaku can turn defenders inside out in a way Long can't.

As for Lukaku's two one on one's, Krul was perfect both times. Krul made himself big, refused to go down too early and stayed on his feet and waited out Lukaku which confused Lukaku a bit as he had so much time to think were to put the ball. This time the keeper won the battles, Lukaku has to learn from this.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Toon Tastic - After match Review.
« Reply #346 on: October 29, 2012, 11:06:41 AM »
Right then, on behalf of the forum Toon Tastic, I agreed I'd post these so here they are. Basically your reaction to yesterdays action:

1. The game ended 2-1 with a deflected goal in stoppage time deciding the result. Was this a fair reflection of the 90 minutes?
2. Which NUFC players stood out for you?
3. Lukaku scored and looked dangerous throughout; one off or is he a consistantly important player for you?
4. Where do you think NUFC will end up?
5. Where do you think West Brom will end up?
6. What do you think about NUFC?

Cheers.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Re: Toon Tastic - After match Review.
« Reply #347 on: October 29, 2012, 11:16:04 AM »
1. The game ended 2-1 with a deflected goal in stoppage time deciding the result. Was this a fair reflection of the 90 minutes?

No it weren't. I thought we dominated the majority of the game, especially the second half and we were incredibly unlucky to find ourselves walking away with nothing. The goals we've conceded though, from our point of view are very poor, although we couldn't really do much with the deflected effort. You had a spell after you scored when you had control of the game but a part from that, we very much dominated.

2. Which NUFC players stood out for you?

I thought you were woeful if I'm honest. I'd have to say Tim Krul due to the saves he made but I thought your side was very poor. Whether this was down to your game on Thursday night, or due to the fact we never allowed you to play, I don't know. Probably a mixture of both, but I thought you were very disappointing. Demba Ba looked about your best out-field player.

3. Lukaku scored and looked dangerous throughout; one off or is he a consistantly important player for you?

He's been restricted to games off the bench due to the good form of Shane Long. I was surprised to see him start if I'm honest. He has potential but is so frustrating. He needs to develop his ability to use his right foot which is holding him back at the minute. He had our best chances yesterday and managed to fluff them both and I do think that had either Long or Odemwingie been in one of those situations they would have at least scored one. He does seem to disrupt our rhythm slightly for me as he doesn't do the effective work that Shane Long does.

4. Where do you think NUFC will end up?

Haven't gave it much thought but I would suggest you'll be in the top half somewhere.

5. Where do you think West Brom will end up?

I'd be extremely happy with between 8th-12th. We won't make Europe but we won't be relegated either.

6. What do you think about NUFC?

You've got a good side don't get me wrong but I was very disappointed with you yesterday. I must say though it is a lovely ground and without doubt the best I've ever been too. Bit disappointed with the atmosphere of the home fans as I thought it was incredibly quiet but I won't let that detract from what is one of the best stadiums in the country.

saml30

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #348 on: October 29, 2012, 04:29:47 PM »
Gutted by that, only saw the highlights yesterday, Lukaku is sooooo frustrating, reminding me of Jason Roberts at this moment in time, looks brilliant until he shoots (I know that's very harsh, probably too harsh) good to hear we didn't miss Yacob that much, something I was expecting, both goals unlucky, should have dealt with the first one in all honesty and nothing could be done with he 2nd.

Those of you who went/watched the whole game how did Dorrans, Odemwinge and Rosenberg do?
Blue and White Barmy Army !!!

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #349 on: October 29, 2012, 04:31:20 PM »
Fully agree Liam, i just find Lukaku frustrating and i don't buy the great saves line.Im not sure we are the right club for him to play regularly in all honesty.He has his uses and great promise but i think our side needs something more consistent.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 07:25:28 PM by Dexy »

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.