14 (16.7%)
Saido Berahino
6 (7.1%)
Matej Vydra
0 (0%)
Zoltan Gera
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Author Topic: 1 Jan 2014 Albion 1 Newcastle Utd 0  (Read 45558 times)

Doobuy

• Youth Baggie

Re: Team
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2013, 08:16:13 AM »
                            Foster 

Jones      McAuley     Dawson    Olsson     Ridgewell

Yacob

Gera          Vydra        J Mo

Berahino

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Questions From Newcastle Fans
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2013, 11:00:30 AM »
Welcome back.

1 – How do you think you’ll line up?
Foster, Jones, Dawson, McAuley, Olsson, Ridgewell, Gera, Yacob, Sinclair, Berahino, Long.

2 – How has West Brom's season gone so far? Happy?
Getting happier, but the season has been a little bit of a disappointment so far, with one or two highs, such as the win at Old Trafford and a near victory at Stamford Bridge. We can only improve really, and KD has managed to end the losing run.

3 – Who has been the biggest surprise this season for West Brom? Who has disappointed?
Berahino has really broken through, scoring key goals to earn us some vital points. Until yesterday, Anelka was  bit of a disappointment. He played well during pre-season, but just hasn't gelled into the PL. Hopefully now he has scored a couple of vital goals, he will continue his progress.

4 – You're 19th in the form table with 3 losses and 3 draws in your last 6 games, what's responsible for this loss of form and do you see it turning around any time soon?
I think in 2013 we've played one or two excellent games, but in general the performances have been below par. I just feel that it's a dip in confidence and sometimes it doesn't seem as though the end is in sight, but then a scrappy win can give you the lift you need. I think that will come soon if we keep playing the way we have in the past three games, where we arguably should have taken all three points from West Ham. When the new boss comes in I think he will be able to get the squad back up to their full potential.

5 – Were you right to get rid of Steve Clarke? Who should replace him?
Yes. SC was dull and lacked motivation and the team was clearly becoming stale. He continued to pick the same players even though we were desparate for a change. I think someone like Malky Mackay would be a great fit, as he's young and has the same kind of ideals that suit West Brom. He's done fantastically well at Cardiff and was treated terribly. I'm sure, if he were appointed, the fans would back him.

6 – As we are half way through the season, where do you think West Brom will finish now?
I think we will turn it around and have a good second half of the season. I would be happy with finishing anywhere above 17th, but deep down I think we will end up around 14th.

7 – Where do you think Newcastle will finish now?
You've had some good wins, like against Stoke, so if you can keep it up, then I fancy you will end up around 8th.

8 – Who will finish in the top six? Who will go down?
Top six I would say Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs & Man Utd. Teams to go down I think Sunderland, Fulham and Palace.

9 – Scoreline prediction?
WBA 2-1 Newcastle.

10 – If your football club was a vegetable, what vegetable would it be?
A swede. Because Jonas Olsson is at the centre of everything lol.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2013, 11:34:33 AM »
                            Foster 

Jones      McAuley     Dawson    Olsson     Ridgewell

Yacob

Gera          Vydra        J Mo

Berahino

I think the players are right but would move Morrison on the right, Gera behind Vydra and Saido on the left
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

Match Officials
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2013, 11:57:25 AM »
Referee - LEE MASON (Bolton)

Assistant Referee 01 - LEE BETTS (Norwich)
Assistant Referee 02 - GARY BESWICK (Gateshead)

Fourth Official - GEOFF ELTRINGHAM (Sunderland)
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

Re: Match Officials
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2013, 12:02:10 PM »
Officials from Gateshead and Sunderland  :o

Getting embarrassment now

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2013, 12:07:31 PM »

I couldn't possibly tell you. We've opted for a few different systems recently and have made 7 and 6 personnel changes in our previous games.

No, I'm bitterly disappointed. We can play much better than we have done and our squad for me is too good to be in this position. I'm not being arrogant there but the players have let themselves and their previous manager down. We're drawing too many games.

3 – Who has been the biggest surprise this season for West Brom? Who has disappointed?

Saido Berahino. His emergence has been a real highlight. As for disappointments, I think we all expected a bit more from Nicolas Anelka.

4 – You're 19th in the form table with 3 losses and 3 draws in your last 6 games, what's responsible for this loss of form and do you see it turning around any time soon?

We've been frightened to attack teams and have concentrated far too much on trying to contain sides. Furthermore, our hoofball approach has often bypassed our best players, therefore we have been dire to watch and have been producing very few chances because we're forever keeping the ball in the air. The previous two games against Spurs and West Ham saw us playing much better football and ultimately getting results.

Turning it around can be easy I would imagine. Round pegs in round holes and get the ball on the deck.

I defended Steve Clarke up until his sacking although my patience was thinning. Performances were getting worse and our defeat against Cardiff was very limp. 7 wins n 2013 says everything you need to know. He was let down heavily by the players but ultimately, the manager always carries the can for that. As for his replacement, I don't have a clue. I wanted Pepe Mel but that idea is now over.

6 – As we are half way through the season, where do you think West Brom will finish now?

I think we will be about 15th.

7th. Pardew doing a good job there - comes in for some unfair criticism in my opinion.

Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton, Man United - Crystal Palace, Sunderland and Norwich.

1-1.

I don't have a clue. I'll leave that for the more imaginative people on the forum.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2013, 12:27:13 PM »

I think a 4-4-2 with Berahino linking up with Vydra up top, worth a shot now, i think both have a point to prove.

Not at all, been a complete comedown following a much better 2012-13 for us and finishing 8th. We are all too often sitting edgily in the game and inevitably concede; giving ourselves an uphill task. As others have said, hopefully we'll realise playing it on the ground could be key to picking up the odd win here and there.

Berahino looks a real handful up front; with some quality shots on goal yesterday at Upton Park, as well as this, Yacob looks to be coming into his element this season; really anchoring the midfield. In terms of disappointments, Mulumbu and Morrison seem to be well below par. We all know in seasons gone by they have controlled our midfield but at the moment they can't seem to find a pass, giving the ball back to the opposition.

Hoofball in one word. Playing Shane Long up front is clearly not working for us as we carelessly give the ball away. Now Clarke has gone, and hopefully a new manager steps forward, we can turn this around. We can do it, whether we will or not is a different matter.
I think so, the stats don't lie. We weren't winning enough and our gameplan was getting predictable. I'd like Mackay to come in and bring some ideas to the table. I don't think the foreign manager route seems to be an option for us, we eventually rule them out!
Get our act together, we can finish 11th or 12th. At the moment, a cup run and midtable would suit me fine. League has to be priority for us.
I think about 8th, you'll have a more mixed second half to the season imo.
The usual suspects; Arsenal, City, Lpool, Chelsea, United, Everton. Don't want to tempt fate with the bottom 3, just hope we're not in it!
I am cautiously optimistic we'll finally get that win. 2-1, Berahino scoring first.
Sweet Potato, no idea why  ;D
Thanks in advance!

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2013, 12:37:28 PM »
Sweet Potato, no idea why  ;D

C'mon, Liam, even I knew the correct answer to that one.  ::)

Booker

• Junior Baggie

Re: Predictions
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2013, 12:46:09 PM »
2-0 Newcastle - Ben Arfa
Taxi for Peter!!

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2013, 12:53:05 PM »
C'mon, Liam, even I knew the correct answer to that one.  ::)
Haha thats the joke, and it's Andy not Liam  :P

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2013, 12:57:40 PM »
Haha thats the joke, and it's Andy not Liam  :P

I'm just having a wee dig at Liam for missing it.  ;)

I don't have a clue. I'll leave that for the more imaginative people on the forum.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2013, 12:58:09 PM »
And I thought it was Quakes going old!  ;D

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

Re: Pre Match Chat
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2013, 01:16:40 PM »
A draw against this lot would be a superb result got some very dangerous players. There just as inconsistent as us though.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2013, 04:49:52 PM »
A draw against this lot would be a superb result got some very dangerous players. There just as inconsistent as us though.
It's a home game, they aren't barcelona, we can win this and need to.

ranvir wba90

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2013, 05:47:30 PM »
Foster

Macauley
Olsson
Dawson

Jones
Gera
Yacob
Mulumbu
Sinclair

Vydra
Berahino

ranvir wba90

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2013, 05:51:33 PM »
2-1 Berahino vydra, Remy

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2013, 05:59:34 PM »
It's a home game, they aren't barcelona, we can win this and need to.

Quite right, and obviously I want us to win, however they have won 7 out of their last 10 including wins over Chelsea, Man utd and Spurs, so I'll be happy with a draw..mostly because it'll mean we've gone 4 unbeaten.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2013, 06:00:08 PM »
2-2 fgs remy

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2013, 06:15:15 PM »
  I'm assuming Anelka will be rested for this game. If not then Anelka in for Anichebe and Anichebe on bench in place of Morrison.

Foster

Jones           McAuley                    Olsson             Dawson          Brunt

Amalfitano                        Yacob                        Gera 

Anichebe                  Berahino

Subs:  Myhill, Reid,Ridgewell, Mulumbu, Vydra, Morrison, Sessegnon.

Think Brunt would have enough true defenders alongside him to make him okay in this line up and i think he'd offer more going forward than Ridgewell.
 I'd like to see Anichebe and Berahino have a go at Newcastle's back 4.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 05:55:54 PM by Hull Baggie »

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2013, 06:25:14 PM »
foster, jones, macauly, ollson, reid, morrison, mulumbu, yacob, gera, sessgnon, long, not the team i would pick but hey ho will be impressed if he keeps it attacking.

winning at old trafford was great, the equalizer in last minute at chelsea unfairly took confidence from us also it was getting very negative under clarke.

berahino has got bags of potential would be great to see him starting every week, jones has also been very promising this season, Long for me has been one of the dissapointments except from 45 minutes against villa he has been poor, heavy touches and dont score enough the long ball to him is making me resent him more than i actually do, very boring to watch and gets us no where.

next games a big match for downing hope he carries on being attacking minded, next manager will be a big appointment for the club. loss of form is down to the penalty at chelsea knocked the confidence from us also negative tactics from clarke and i would also say the absense of zoltan gera for me a vital member of our squad and loads of ability, It seems our summer signings have been wasted money on the whole which is upsetting although its early days.

was the right move he was very unlucky like most sacked managers but the negative tactics done it for me also our record in 2013 was relegation standards. Ray wilkins for me talks a good game and has experience from chelsea would suit head coach role well.
depends on next head coach very hard to say, i can see one of us and villa being very close to the drop.
7th today against arsenal would have been a big win if you got it, very impressed with pardew and your team though especially attacking wise.

liverpool, city, arsenal, chelsea, everton, man utd, relegation i would say norwich, west ham, fulham im hoping like i said us or villa will be very close got a gut feeling.

2-2 fgs remy

banana or pear sometimes ripe othertimes mouldy and damaged.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2013, 06:50:27 PM »

hard to say I'd imagine a bit different from the West Ham game. I'd like: Foster, Jones, McAuley, Olsson Dawson, Brunt, Amalfitano, Yacob, Gera, Berahino, Anichebe.
far from happy we've been shockingly poor since the Chelsea game. Thought we'd have about 9 more points.
Billy Jones has continued to improve and Berahino has been a positive. Clarke possibly the biggest disappointment as I thought he'd have learnt from last season but he didn't.
 Yes we'll pick up a win in one of our next 3 matches. Poor tactics and team selection, subs made far too late, inability to score from 6 yards and some very poor referee decisions are responsible.
Yes he didn't have a clue what to do to stop the rot. The players need to take a long hard look at themselves too mind. I don't know about a replacement but not Hoddle, Holloway or Solskjaer.
12th
7th or 8th
Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea,  Liverpool, Everton, Man Utd. West Ham, Fulham and Cardiff to go down
2-1 Albion
 Onions..because sometimes they are interesting and invigorating and other times they make me cry!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 01:02:23 PM by Hull Baggie »

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2013, 06:54:15 PM »
That is true, but then remember just like us the toon have been a bit topsy turvy since they came back up in 2010. They are beatable, if we want it badly enough, we can win this. Another draw and you are seriously questioning when we will win again?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2013, 07:00:03 PM »
A draw will be a decent enough result.  This is another must not lose imo.  Give the new man a foundation to build on.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Political Cake

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

• Oh So Fabulous

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2013, 02:06:19 AM »
This will be a loss.The atmosphere at home is unbearable.Lets ask to play all our remaining games away unless you lot decide to wake up, sing and support. Supprisingly it might make a world of difference

I hear there's a stadium free in Coventry! :P
WestBromwichAlbion

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

Re: Match Officials
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2013, 09:13:08 AM »
How should that be allowed? Surely they could find some officials elsewhere than the North East. I hope that Lee Mason has a better performance than what Mike Dean had the other day. The last time he took charge of us was the 1-1 with Arsenal where he should have given us a penalty.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC