Author Topic: Players for the Premier League  (Read 31385 times)

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Players for the Premiership.
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2020, 02:42:14 AM »
Harrison Reed if Fulham don't go up and buy him, Malik Wilks (cheap), Brewster and Ejaria (loan). Heaton if the scum get relegated if not then Romero from man utd. Grant if less than £10m.

I think there has been talk of Lyle Taylor on a free.

Problem is getting rid of the likes of Zohore, Austin and HRK and their wages.

Seamus Coleman if available now the carlo revolution is in full swing.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2020, 05:58:07 AM »
Rhian Brewster who has scored ten for Swansea since joining on loan from Liverpool in the January window would be a very useful loan deal for us. He is tall, athletic and good with his head. Klopp, however, will possibly keep him in his first team squad. Thank
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 01:52:21 PM by royhan »

wappingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2020, 06:36:22 AM »
would you take ben foster back on a 2 yr deal as GK ?  Or do you think this season has showed he is way past his best

If the price is right even understudy?

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2020, 07:48:38 AM »
He’s been good this season. Could be too expensive for an understudy and I’m not sure that he could be guaranteed to play a full season as first choice.   Ramsdale from Bournemouth might be a good option but in truth we are going to be needing to minimise transfer fee outlay would are going to need to pick up several good players for small transfer fees, or on free transfers so that we can spend bigger further upfield.

Can see us going for Joe Hart on a free but I would be far from convinced that it would be a good signing.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2020, 07:53:59 AM »
Wouldn't take Hart after his comments about us.

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2020, 08:09:53 AM »
My first signing would be Antonee Robinson. Top quality left back
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2020, 08:36:08 AM »
 Need to strengthen straight down the spine to start. CM quality pair of legs required , Gallagher perhaps,CB a must in my eyes but who and where from no idea, probably need 2 central strikers Grant has been rumours and the links with the guy who plays in Turkey , may well have legs. GK too much to ask Palmeri to be 2nd choice in Prem so need first/ second choice don’t like signing from relegated clubs but Krul to me would be good option seemingly . Do this first and then fill round the dues , fb’ s wingers etc . Sounds easy god help us !  Especially in current political climate it may be even harder for Lai even if he wanted to plus winter window will be first after Brexit so who knows how that will pan out?
Geez it’s good to be back  ;D !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2020, 08:38:58 AM »
Midfielders in championship

Christian Norgaard from Brentford and Harrison Reed from Fulham are possible whichever team does not win the play-offs.  Maybe too expensive.

Nick Powell of Stoke - right attitude, gives some bite to the midfield.

Harper needs to go out on loan to learn some positional nous.

CF?  Somebody foreign that no-one but Slaven has thought of.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2020, 09:53:44 AM »
I think a lot of the people posting on this thread are still in the clouds !!

One thing we don't want to do is to make a lot of signings just because we can.  Making wholesale changes doesn,t work. It hasn't worked for the vile, it didn't work for Fulham and a few years back it didn,t work for QPR.

Yes we do need some signings but I would say about 5 at most. Lets buy the best quality we can not quantity.

Some of the names mentioned on here will never come to us.  Harrison Reed is a Southampton player on loan. Southampton will have him back and he will go straight into their 1st team squad.

We definetely need 2 strikers. It will probably have to be a top championship striker and maybe a foreign striker. I would sign Robinson and Krov. West Ham will have Diangana back.

I would also make a bid for Gayle. He's scoring in the premier and to be honest I don't think we will attract anything better.

But the main point was said by Bilic after the game last night that he will give the current squad the chance to play in the premier. So maybe there won't be widespread changes as many people on here want.  Who knows players you think won't handle the premier might come good.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2020, 10:00:02 AM »
would you take ben foster back on a 2 yr deal as GK ?  Or do you think this season has showed he is way past his best

If the price is right even understudy?

He has been rather good but very busy this season. I would have him back no problem.
MAGA!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2020, 10:17:24 AM »
Without talking about names I'll stick up some examples on the transfer forum latter. The general approach for recruitment should be as follows.

1. No outfield player with an age that begins with a 3 we absolutely have to stop signing fading stars they have been a disaster for us.

2. Don't sign any player if you can't give them a 3 year contract without that contract ending at an age where they are going to be post peak.

3. Forget recruiting from the Premier League. The dynamics are completely wrong for the most part there might be exceptions but they are exceptions.

4. The focus has to be overseas that is where the value is but realistically we are recruiting from the smaller clubs in the top 5 leagues and the feeder clubs to those leagues e.g. Belgium Netherlands and Portugal etc....

5. Any UK based players should be recruited from the Championship (the relegated clubs are championship clubs) or the SPL (thin pickings but there are always a few worthwhile recruits)

5. Use the loan market but be careful one two maybe but not half the team.

6. Focus on the starting XI squad depth is a bit of a luxury at the bottom end of the Premier League and the focus has to be  quality over quantity.   
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2020, 10:23:19 AM »
John Swift is being linked with Sheffield United and Villa at 3.5m.  A player i've always liked and if you dig through my posts i think i've suggesed him a few times but the time has probably gone now.

Would have been a player of Morrison and Brunt ilk i think, who could have grown with us but probably never good enough to be courted by the big 6.

We could do with a couple of players like that I think. Solid but not spectacular midfielder who you may keep if you are relegated but also can do a job in the premiership. Think players like Matty Holland, Steve Sidwell, Jeff Hendrix.

Who is the  best 21-23 year old centre mid in the champ? Go get him.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2020, 10:28:22 AM »
Without talking about names I'll stick up some examples on the transfer forum latter. The general approach for recruitment should be as follows.

1. No outfield player with an age that begins with a 3 we absolutely have to stop signing fading stars they have been a disaster for us.

2. Don't sign any player if you can't give them a 3 year contract without that contract ending at an age where they are going to be post peak.

3. Forget recruiting from the Premier League. The dynamics are completely wrong for the most part there might be exceptions but they are exceptions.

4. The focus has to be overseas that is where the value is but realistically we are recruiting from the smaller clubs in the top 5 leagues and the feeder clubs to those leagues e.g. Belgium Netherlands and Portugal etc....

5. Any UK based players should be recruited from the Championship (the relegated clubs are championship clubs) or the SPL (thin pickings but there are always a few worthwhile recruits)

5. Use the loan market but be careful one two maybe but not half the team.

6. Focus on the starting XI squad depth is a bit of a luxury at the bottom end of the Premier League and the focus has to be  quality over quantity.

Can't agree with this at all, its about striking a balance. This side clearly bottled it so some heads with premier experience are needed - and those in their 20s are going to be expensive. You don't want too many obviously but a couple of shrewd pick ups could massively help the team.

McAuley, Scharner and Fletcher all come to mind as useful signings we made who were 30+ in our last stint.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2020, 10:35:37 AM »
Perhaps now O'Shea can step up to centre back?

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2020, 10:47:08 AM »
Lolley or Cash from Forest. Grabban had a good season also but 32 so no.
Jed Wallace Millwall
Grant Huddersfield
Eze QPR

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2020, 11:00:03 AM »
I agree baggiemart.  I've seen some say that Robinson isn't good enough so we shouldn't go after him.  If he's the cut off for the quality of player we need then we're in a lot of trouble as we will need to ship out 90% of the squad.

Next year we should be targetting at staying up (as comfortably as possible) but, make no mistake, we could be in for a rough ride. 

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2020, 11:07:48 AM »
Trying to buy experienced PL players a no-no, it just doesn't work for us as a club! I would however make an exception on DG here, but that may be heart over head (also modified after reading Dan's post above but only because he mentioned Scharner, however wonderful lunatics like him aren't your average PL journeyman :) )   Time to cherry pick the best of the Championship and use our PL status as a way to tempt those finds from abroad. 

Ideally we want players of the age and ability that should we come back down they either a) have increased their value to sell back up to the PL or b) will still have the ability and motivation to rip it up in the Championship.  I would expect us to sign both Krov and Robinson if a reasonable value placed on them, they both seem to be integral to this squad and would fit into this category.

I'm pretty sure the management team will be fully aware of the issues we have at the top of the pitch, and if we can't offload all/any then we will just have to bite the bullet and recruit on top.   We need pace and speed of thought up top and none of our current front players offer this.

I'm happy that the recruitment team and Slav fully understand what is needed, and that is half the battle.  The other half is the tricky bit but I have been impressed with all our recent recruitment.  It was evident that neither of the strikers that came in were first choice but potentially both were worth a punt, which is what they were! And for all CA has lost his predatory instinct he did contribute with his swinger and cool penalty taking in some big games this year.

I look forward to what the management team can come up with on a slightly bigger budget and the pull of the PL.  COYB!!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 11:11:21 AM by Oldbury24 »

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2020, 11:12:05 AM »
For teams like us, not getting relegated is all we can possibly achieve and then if we could have a decent cup run added to it.  Unfortunately gone are the days when we were a top 3 team.

We have got to avoid the journeymen who are past their best but can see teams like us as a nice pay packet.

But the impressions I'm getting from Bilic is that he won't swamp the squad with new signings and I think thats the right approach. just add about 5 premier or top championship  quality players and then let them blend as a team.

Who knows players like Sawyers, Ajay, Grosiky, O'shea could develop into premiership players.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2020, 11:15:55 AM »
Can't agree with this at all, its about striking a balance. This side clearly bottled it so some heads with premier experience are needed - and those in their 20s are going to be expensive. You don't want too many obviously but a couple of shrewd pick ups could massively help the team.

McAuley, Scharner and Fletcher all come to mind as useful signings we made who were 30+ in our last stint.

I will give you McAuley and Scharner. I maintain that Fletcher was terrible but I know that is not a widely held belief yet for every sucess there has been at least two failures. Equally while the squad is younger than the creaking Dad's Army that was relegated it is still hardly a bunch of callow youths only Diangana and O'Shea who played last night had less than 100 Senior appearances under their belt. Whatever the reason was for limping over line was a lack of experience wasn't one of them rapidly fading post peak players might have had a bigger impact. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2020, 11:47:55 AM »
Experience isn't just an age thing though when it comes to our current team - it includes playing under that kind of pressure for those kind of rewards. 

Fletcher was a great signing for us but the time was right to move him on.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2020, 11:56:12 AM »
I think we all know the first two things are a goalscoring striker and a new goalie without which we may challenge Derby's all time low points tally

I think we might have to stick with the full backs we've got just because of the time being so short.  The problem we have overall is that so many players are very good for the Championship, but probably lacking Prem quality - a lot of them seem to be very one-footed for example.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2020, 12:00:19 PM »
I think we all know the first two things are a goalscoring striker and a new goalie without which we may challenge Derby's all time low points tally

I think we might have to stick with the full backs we've got just because of the time being so short. The problem we have overall is that so many players are very good for the Championship, but probably lacking Prem quality - a lot of them seem to be very one-footed for example.

You would hope that there is a long list of targets already drawn up for either eventuality, with the emphasis on promotion.   Of course a number of those targets may still be in the upcoming play-off's or relegation scraps but we should be ready to move quickly.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2020, 12:16:46 PM »
I will give you McAuley and Scharner. I maintain that Fletcher was terrible but I know that is not a widely held belief yet for every sucess there has been at least two failures. Equally while the squad is younger than the creaking Dad's Army that was relegated it is still hardly a bunch of callow youths only Diangana and O'Shea who played last night had less than 100 Senior appearances under their belt. Whatever the reason was for limping over line was a lack of experience wasn't one of them rapidly fading post peak players might have had a bigger impact.

But how many of them have any experience of ever being key players in a promotion winning side in the championship, or experience of being a regularly first choice player in the premier?

From last nights starting eleven, only Livemore fits the bill on either account.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2020, 12:23:10 PM »

I think we might have to stick with the full backs we've got just because of the time being so short.  The problem we have overall is that so many players are very good for the Championship, but probably lacking Prem quality - a lot of them seem to be very one-footed for example.

Going into a Premiership season with our current left back options would be suicide, Fortunately, O'Shea has emerged at right back so we can live with those options but both right backs need to improve.
Baggie in Southampton

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2020, 01:35:11 PM »
If we could get Joe Allen on loan, given Stoke's financial predicament, I would consider him if we couldn't get any better than him.