Author Topic: Players for the Premier League  (Read 31827 times)

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

Re: Players for the Premier League
« Reply #175 on: September 06, 2020, 05:44:00 PM »
Looked the pick of our team yesterday v Brighton. Always available to pass to.

Think back to when we tried Ajayi in his role, or Krov...we fall apart.

Sawyers is our most important player IMO.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #176 on: September 06, 2020, 06:03:15 PM »
I'd like to see us sign Will Hughes tbh.

Although I've been pushing that one on-and-off for about 4 years, so it's probably never going to happen.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #177 on: September 06, 2020, 06:20:37 PM »
I don't see Livermore as a weakness at all, England player, dedicated to the cause, I respect your opinion but I think your wrong
Johnstone needs to improve on his command of the area if he is to keep his place.
England is stretching it a bit ?
He wouldn’t get in now would he ?

I don’t doubt the dedication, it’s fair to say that it meant something to him when we got promotion....but then again it meant something to me, and I would try hard, but I wouldn’t be good enough for the prem .
We need to distance from the emotion if we have any chance of competing in the big league ...Livermore is a good champ player , sawyers same (although with a beast next to him could work) Johnstone was weak in the champ...so I can’t see any way he gets better .
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #178 on: September 06, 2020, 06:31:46 PM »
I've also mentioned Will Hughes.
He has a good engine ,gets up and down and harasses opponent's.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #179 on: September 06, 2020, 06:40:42 PM »
I've also mentioned Will Hughes.
He has a good engine ,gets up and down and harasses opponent's.

I read earlier that Spurs were making a £13m offer for him
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #180 on: September 06, 2020, 06:46:39 PM »
Livermore, whilst I like him is a liability on the ball. Awful is not far away in terms of his possessive skills.

I would like to try and get a good solid CM on loan if possible.

Jeb-Dog

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #181 on: September 06, 2020, 07:02:28 PM »
Still short a left back, goalkeeper (won’t happen no we’ve got Button), a Defensive midfielder and two strikers.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #182 on: September 06, 2020, 07:03:18 PM »
Having watched some of yesterday’s friendly most of our wasted passes were from Livermore. For a pro footballer his first touch is horrific. I appreciate his work rate and leadership but we need a dominant CM in there who is good on the ball.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #183 on: September 06, 2020, 09:33:52 PM »
I thought he (Sawyers)seemed stronger against Brighton numerous times he held there players of with upper body strength
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 09:45:02 PM by Albionic »
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #184 on: September 06, 2020, 09:41:10 PM »
England is stretching it a bit ?
He wouldn’t get in now would he ?

I don’t doubt the dedication, it’s fair to say that it meant something to him when we got promotion....but then again it meant something to me, and I would try hard, but I wouldn’t be good enough for the prem .
We need to distance from the emotion if we have any chance of competing in the big league ...Livermore is a good champ player , sawyers same (although with a beast next to him could work) Johnstone was weak in the champ...so I can’t see any way he gets better .

Playing for England isn't an opinion, it's a fact.
Baggie in Southampton

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #185 on: September 06, 2020, 09:57:57 PM »
I thought he (Sawyers)seemed stronger against Brighton numerous times he held there players of with upper body strength
He does do that very well, often looks like he's in danger of losing the ball but doesn't

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #186 on: September 06, 2020, 10:04:10 PM »
Playing for England isn't an opinion, it's a fact.
Carlton Palmer did, but you wouldn’t want him starting next week...
I wasn’t saying he hadn’t, I was saying he wouldn’t now.....absolutely nowhere near.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #187 on: September 06, 2020, 10:12:38 PM »
Carlton Palmer did, but you wouldn’t want him starting next week...
I wasn’t saying he hadn’t, I was saying he wouldn’t now.....absolutely nowhere near.

Carlton Palmer had a great career.
All the negative stuff about Livermore was around when he played for England, he is an Albion player, I respect that people have opinions, but an opinion is massively outweighed by a fact.
Baggie in Southampton

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #188 on: September 06, 2020, 10:19:38 PM »
Carlton Palmer had a great career.
All the negative stuff about Livermore was around when he played for England, he is an Albion player, I respect that people have opinions, but an opinion is massively outweighed by a fact.
I actually rate your contributions on here...but lord tell me you wouldn’t have current Livermore in the England team?

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #189 on: September 06, 2020, 10:56:41 PM »
I actually rate your contributions on here...but lord tell me you wouldn’t have current Livermore in the England team?

No, I wouldn't, but neither would I denigrate his last season with our club, like many of our players, he has weaknesses, but I do think he has value in the team.
Baggie in Southampton

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #190 on: September 06, 2020, 10:59:33 PM »
Of course he has a place and let’s not mistake my above comment for me disliking him, but his touch and passing for a pro international football is woeful. When he presses and runs all day superbly, and this can be effective (Bristol City away he was immense) we will find ourselves up against it too often.

He often goes hiding for the ball too, happy to win it but does not want it off Sawyers enough.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #191 on: September 07, 2020, 06:32:03 AM »
No, I wouldn't, but neither would I denigrate his last season with our club, like many of our players, he has weaknesses, but I do think he has value in the team.

This is what happens when someone becomes a scapegoat.  Any single misplaced pass and you'll see people moan about how poor he is, yet when their favorites misplace a pass it's ignored.  He'll get no credit from some unless he performs as a 10 out of 10 every week.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #192 on: September 07, 2020, 07:12:03 AM »
Of course he has a place and let’s not mistake my above comment for me disliking him, but his touch and passing for a pro international football is woeful. When he presses and runs all day superbly, and this can be effective (Bristol City away he was immense) we will find ourselves up against it too often.

He often goes hiding for the ball too, happy to win it but does not want it off Sawyers enough.
To be fair, I think he sees his job as covering while Sawyers is looking to play the ball forward.  I think Bilic will have him pencilled in from the start, he knows what he's doing generally, and I don't see us looking to replace him, more getting midfield cover in if we can.  I just think that is the reality, we have greater priorities especially now having pretty much maxed the credit card out on Diangana.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #193 on: September 07, 2020, 08:26:57 AM »
To be fair, I think he sees his job as covering while Sawyers is looking to play the ball forward.  I think Bilic will have him pencilled in from the start, he knows what he's doing generally, and I don't see us looking to replace him, more getting midfield cover in if we can.  I just think that is the reality, we have greater priorities especially now having pretty much maxed the credit card out on Diangana.

This should never be under estimated at any level of the game, how do you make an average player good or a good player great? Give them time!
Baggie in Southampton

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #194 on: September 07, 2020, 09:48:00 AM »
This is what happens when someone becomes a scapegoat.  Any single misplaced pass and you'll see people moan about how poor he is, yet when their favorites misplace a pass it's ignored.  He'll get no credit from some unless he performs as a 10 out of 10 every week.
It's easier to accept a players weaknesses if they are outweighed by their strengths. Sawyers tracking and tackling are shocking but, his passing and ball protection are superb.
Trouble with Livermore is, he doesn't really have any real, stand out, strengths. He's not a great passer, or tackler, he doesn't sit on the back 4, to add protection, nor does he get past the striker to get in the box. Yes, he has good energy but, in terms of skills, he's very average. This means a good game is not a 10, but more a 7 or 8, with a bad one being a 4 or 5.
We won't replace him, which is fine, we have higher priorities, so we have to accept him for what he is and just hope that he gets more 8's than 4's.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #195 on: September 07, 2020, 10:03:54 AM »
It's easier to accept a players weaknesses if they are outweighed by their strengths. Sawyers tracking and tackling are shocking but, his passing and ball protection are superb.
Trouble with Livermore is, he doesn't really have any real, stand out, strengths. He's not a great passer, or tackler, he doesn't sit on the back 4, to add protection, nor does he get past the striker to get in the box. Yes, he has good energy but, in terms of skills, he's very average. This means a good game is not a 10, but more a 7 or 8, with a bad one being a 4 or 5.
We won't replace him, which is fine, we have higher priorities, so we have to accept him for what he is and just hope that he gets more 8's than 4's.

Absolutely spot on, very much a water carrier plus.  But, when he is fit, fresh and really on it he is definitely an inspiring presence and can lead by example with the way he gets around the pitch and closes down.