Author Topic: Promotion race 2018/2019  (Read 32581 times)

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

Re: Promotion race 2018/2019
« Reply #125 on: March 31, 2019, 08:42:09 AM »
With all due respect I disagree, I'd rather we just went for it, Sheff U have slipped up now, so lets just treat every game as a cup final.

Yep. Agree totally, now is not the time for experimentation.

Just keep trying to grind out the wins, it won't be pretty, but it's all about results now.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #126 on: March 31, 2019, 09:55:06 AM »
We have 3 objectives. 1. Lock up a play-off spot. 2. If possible chase down an automatic promotion place. 3. Win the play-offs

In the short term both 1 & 2 are compatable it is simple win the next game.

Getting into the play-offs is entirely within our control because we can get 81 points which is one more point than is necessary to make certain of 6th (congratulations to Norwich for locking up 6th place by the way).  However in practice two more wins will probably suffice.

Automatic promotion requires a near 100% win rate from us and both Leeds and Sheffield United to stumble in truth if the gap  hasn't closed across the next 3 games then our race is done. At that point the play-offs become the focus. That means keeping the squad fresh and healthy. In truth it doesn't matter where we finish in the top 6 the prize is the same and it doesn't matter which sequence of opponents we have and trying to game that is more trouble than it's worth.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #127 on: March 31, 2019, 11:06:50 AM »
We have 3 objectives. 1. Lock up a play-off spot. 2. If possible chase down an automatic promotion place. 3. Win the play-offs

In the short term both 1 & 2 are compatable it is simple win the next game.

Getting into the play-offs is entirely within our control because we can get 81 points which is one more point than is necessary to make certain of 6th (congratulations to Norwich for locking up 6th place by the way).  However in practice two more wins will probably suffice.

Automatic promotion requires a near 100% win rate from us and both Leeds and Sheffield United to stumble in truth if the gap  hasn't closed across the next 3 games then our race is done. At that point the play-offs become the focus. That means keeping the squad fresh and healthy. In truth it doesn't matter where we finish in the top 6 the prize is the same and it doesn't matter which sequence of opponents we have and trying to game that is more trouble than it's worth.
I'd say number one is a racing certainty, all the teams in 6/7/8/9 would have to go mental to overtake us and they must be playing each other a few times so they can't all go on massive winning streaks - does take the pressure off a bit.  GD could be very interesting if it gets close.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #128 on: April 01, 2019, 09:44:24 AM »
If we win all our games, it does not require a monumental slip up from Leeds and Sheff Utd, Leeds need to lose 2 and Sheff lose 1 and draw 1. Weirdly both of their next 2 games are Blues and Preston away, which are very much lose-able.
The difficult bit is us winning all of ours but we've somehow managed to win the last 3, despite playing pretty awfully, so, if we can improve and settle a bit, why not?
Just go for it, I say!  ;)

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #129 on: April 01, 2019, 09:54:21 AM »
If we win all our games, it does not require a monumental slip up from Leeds and Sheff Utd, Leeds need to lose 2 and Sheff lose 1 and draw 1. Weirdly both of their next 2 games are Blues and Preston away, which are very much lose-able.
The difficult bit is us winning all of ours but we've somehow managed to win the last 3, despite playing pretty awfully, so, if we can improve and settle a bit, why not?
Just go for it, I say!  ;)

Exactly, just keep winning and see where it takes us. We were out of it a few years back when the dog heads blew up in dramatic fashion.
Leeds have a history of tailing off towards the end of the season and they all have to play losable games.
If you look back we've thrown some really daft points away that would have seen us clear in this division.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #130 on: April 01, 2019, 10:15:53 AM »
We just need to ignore other results and keep winning the next match. If we win them all, we'll go up the auto route.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #131 on: April 01, 2019, 10:18:47 AM »
You know what's going to happen don't you? Albion v Villa in the play offs and when it really matters, when it's really important the fkrs will turn us over.

It's inevitable, written in the stars.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #132 on: April 01, 2019, 10:23:20 AM »
You know what's going to happen don't you? Albion v Villa in the play offs and when it really matters, when it's really important the fkrs will turn us over.

I said the same thing to my dad yesterday. That would be typical Albion.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #133 on: April 01, 2019, 10:23:28 AM »

We have taken 4 points off them this season, no need to fear them. They are a different animal with Grealish and he is probably the best player in the division at this moment in time but, if he gets injured, they are beyond ordinary.
The best way to go up would be to tonk them at Wembley.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #134 on: April 01, 2019, 10:43:39 AM »
Just did a predictor for the remainder of the season, trying to be quite realistic, had us to drop points against Bristol City and Preston, has us finishing 4th.

Norwich champions, Sheff United 2nd. Leeds, us, Boro and Vile completing the play offs.

I think Shef United have the 'easier' run in out of them and Leeds.

I also find it quite funny how Blues and Villa could have a say in us grabbing a top 2 spot. Villa have to play Norwich and Leeds, while Blues have to play Leeds and Sheff united in their next 2 games.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #135 on: April 01, 2019, 10:46:33 AM »
We have taken 4 points off them this season, no need to fear them. They are a different animal with Grealish and he is probably the best player in the division at this moment in time but, if he gets injured, they are beyond ordinary.
The best way to go up would be to tonk them at Wembley.

Makes no difference. When there's something major at stake they will see us off, you mark my words.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #136 on: April 01, 2019, 12:03:58 PM »
The thought of Vile in playoff final is double edged for me, maybe it shows how starved of success as an Albion fan I am, but to beat that lot at Wembley would surpass anything I have experienced as an Albion fan. But to lose to them, would be beyond unbearable.

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #137 on: April 01, 2019, 12:26:08 PM »
The thought of Vile in playoff final is double edged for me, maybe it shows how starved of success as an Albion fan I am, but to beat that lot at Wembley would surpass anything I have experienced as an Albion fan. But to lose to them, would be beyond unbearable.

Can you imagine the journey back from Wembley if we lost to Villa  :o :o
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #138 on: April 01, 2019, 12:27:39 PM »
Can you imagine the journey back from Wembley if we lost to Villa  :o :o

Conversely  :D
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #139 on: April 01, 2019, 03:35:28 PM »
Playing Villa over two legs would be terrible for both teams, it would be so intense and brutal that the winner would have nothing left in the tank for Wembley and would likely get picked of by Sheff U/ Leeds/ Derby whoever

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #140 on: April 01, 2019, 08:01:11 PM »
The promotion picture would have looked so different if we had beat Ipswich at home.

Playing a  team struggling badly at the bottom of the league , we should have won.

Those 2 points added on to what we have now would put us in such a strong position.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2019, 09:04:34 AM »
I feel the next 2 games will determine if we can sneak into 2nd.

We have Millwall and Bristol City.

Leeds and Sheff United have both got to go to Blues, and both play Preston.

If we can come out of our games with 6 points, and Preston or Blues can do us a favour somewhere, we could close the gap and put some real pressure on both of those teams.

Knowing the Albion though, we will probably drop points the same time one of Leeds/Sheff do.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #142 on: April 06, 2019, 05:32:16 PM »
Can't believe how badly we've messed this up. A month ago we were interviewing Jokanovic and I had a bit of hope about the future direction of the club. Now we're going to hobble into the playoffs as potentially the worst team to ever play in them under a bloke who came in to manage the under 7's.

Jenkins you utter bellend.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #143 on: April 06, 2019, 05:39:55 PM »
Villa are going up, you can absolutely guarantee it and to be fair to them they deserve too. Since they've had their big players back they look a different team.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #144 on: April 06, 2019, 05:46:26 PM »
Can't believe how badly we've messed this up. A month ago we were interviewing Jokanovic and I had a bit of hope about the future direction of the club. Now we're going to hobble into the playoffs as potentially the worst team to ever play in them under a bloke who came in to manage the under 7's.

As I said earlier.
He ought to stand in the middle of the pitch and publicly apologise to all Albion fans.
Instead, he will just hide behind his desk in his ivory tower with a blank look on his face.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 05:59:17 PM by OldburyWBA »

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #145 on: April 06, 2019, 06:34:43 PM »
Villa are going up, you can absolutely guarantee it and to be fair to them they deserve too. Since they've had their big players back they look a different team.
What do you mean they deserve to? they have not guaranteed the play-offs yet. They have been trailing behind us all season and are still seven points behind.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #146 on: April 06, 2019, 06:37:48 PM »
What do you mean they deserve to? they have not guaranteed the play-offs yet. They have been trailing behind us all season and are still seven points behind.

They are a better team than us one to eleven. If we still had Barnes, maybe not but without him, they are.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #147 on: April 06, 2019, 07:22:52 PM »

I have some soap for that potty mouth.  :P
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #148 on: April 06, 2019, 07:35:22 PM »

They are a better team than us one to eleven. If we still had Barnes, maybe not but without him, they are.

Depends on who's in form in the run in to the Play Offs. Today, you'd have to say Villa, but that can change in a few games time. Depends also on whether key players are injured. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #149 on: April 07, 2019, 10:39:03 AM »
We are not nailed on certs for the play offs yet.  I think we still need 2 more wins.

The next two matches at Bristol City and home to Preston are crucial for us. If we lose both or even lose to Bristol and draw at home to Preston we will have 71 pts.

Villa have to play Rotherham away and Bristol City at home .They could get 6 pts there which puts them on 69 pts.

Bristol City would be on 65 pts with a game in hand.

Derby have to play Blackburn away and Bolton at home.  Again potential 6 pts there which gives them 66pts with a game in hand and we have to play them last match of the season.

So we could still be in a battle for a place in the play offs with 4 matches to go.