Author Topic: Dwight Gayle (at Newcastle)  (Read 234988 times)

Albertbaggie

• Youth Baggie

Re: Dwight Gayle (on loan swap from Newcastle)
« Reply #725 on: May 23, 2019, 04:06:07 PM »
A £20m price tag on Gayle apparently and fans criticise club for not trying to  sign him? 

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #726 on: May 23, 2019, 04:08:45 PM »
A £20m price tag on Gayle apparently and fans criticise club for not trying to  sign him?

If geordies think gayle is £20m, what do THEY value Rondon at ?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #727 on: May 23, 2019, 04:12:17 PM »
If geordies think gayle is £20m, what do THEY value Rondon at ?

£16.5m, I guess
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #728 on: May 23, 2019, 04:16:35 PM »
£16.5m, I guess

Touche   !!!!    LOL !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #729 on: May 23, 2019, 04:36:51 PM »

£15m I heard but let's not forget they would want to sign Rondon.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #730 on: May 23, 2019, 05:04:11 PM »
£16.5m, I guess
But are we forced to accept £16.5m for Rondon?
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #731 on: May 23, 2019, 05:31:28 PM »

We could accept less than that if we wanted to just offload, but would not be able to charge more than that amount as that is the contracted release price.
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #732 on: May 23, 2019, 05:35:00 PM »

There is a buyout clause in his contract, £16.5m if we are in the Championship and £20m if we had made it to the Prem. So, yes we have to sell at the £16.5m price.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #733 on: May 24, 2019, 02:30:24 AM »
This is madness.

Newcastle still seem reluctant to pay £16.5m for Rondon on the not entirely unreasonable grounds that the player is 29 and as such the fee is pretty much a write off. Their strategy is to buy players with potential whose value may increase over the length of their contract. Fine entirely sensible possibly a little limiting but logical and one which looking at our squad we might have benefited from we had adopted it a few years ago.

However on the other hand we have Dwight Gayle aged 28 (29 latter this year) who they want to sell for £20m. The fee is like Rondon's probably a write off. To be honest any club interested in Gayle might do as well to activate Rondon's release clause. Rondon unlike Gayle does have a decent scoring record in the Premier League. Whereas Gayle is a monster in the Championship but to date hasn't torn up the Premier League.

Only the club apparently interested in Gayle, Fulham can't attract Rondon because they have just been relegated to the Championship and are looking for a quick fix to secure their return. Apparently not put off by the asking price nor Gayle's £55k a week wages (which must have been agreed when Newcastle were in the Championship!!) in part because they beleive they can sell their star striker Mitrovic for £30m.

The irony of course is Mitrovic was bought by Newcastle as a raw 21 year old from Anderlect for the a substantial fee of £16.5m. He bombed at Newcastle and were it not for a loan spell at Fulham where he revived his career to the point where Newcastle could off load him for a small profit of £18.5m. Although Mitrovic is 5 years younger last season he had a similar scoring record to Rondon.

Everyone might be better off here if Benetiz could have got a tune out of Mitrovic.

Coming back to Albion sorry but we shouldn't even contemplate getting involved in this. We will get £16.5m for Rondon more likely from Wolves or West Ham. He is by far our most saleable assest and we need to leaverage the maximum improvement to the squad with that money. Maybe having a look at the next Mitrovic who Anderlect bought for £4.5m as a teenager might be the way to go.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #734 on: May 24, 2019, 07:03:05 AM »
This is madness.

Newcastle still seem reluctant to pay £16.5m for Rondon on the not entirely unreasonable grounds that the player is 29 and as such the fee is pretty much a write off. Their strategy is to buy players with potential whose value may increase over the length of their contract. Fine entirely sensible possibly a little limiting but logical and one which looking at our squad we might have benefited from we had adopted it a few years ago.

However on the other hand we have Dwight Gayle aged 28 (29 latter this year) who they want to sell for £20m. The fee is like Rondon's probably a write off. To be honest any club interested in Gayle might do as well to activate Rondon's release clause. Rondon unlike Gayle does have a decent scoring record in the Premier League. Whereas Gayle is a monster in the Championship but to date hasn't torn up the Premier League.

Only the club apparently interested in Gayle, Fulham can't attract Rondon because they have just been relegated to the Championship and are looking for a quick fix to secure their return. Apparently not put off by the asking price nor Gayle's £55k a week wages (which must have been agreed when Newcastle were in the Championship!!) in part because they beleive they can sell their star striker Mitrovic for £30m.

The irony of course is Mitrovic was bought by Newcastle as a raw 21 year old from Anderlect for the a substantial fee of £16.5m. He bombed at Newcastle and were it not for a loan spell at Fulham where he revived his career to the point where Newcastle could off load him for a small profit of £18.5m. Although Mitrovic is 5 years younger last season he had a similar scoring record to Rondon.

Everyone might be better off here if Benetiz could have got a tune out of Mitrovic.

Coming back to Albion sorry but we shouldn't even contemplate getting involved in this. We will get £16.5m for Rondon more likely from Wolves or West Ham. He is by far our most saleable assest and we need to leaverage the maximum improvement to the squad with that money. Maybe having a look at the next Mitrovic who Anderlect bought for £4.5m as a teenager might be the way to go.

Cannot help but think that this is more Mike Ashley. Probably thinks that 'little ole Albion' will stump up because we are desperate.

There's only one greedy barsteward…….
MAGA!

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #735 on: May 30, 2019, 11:39:48 AM »
There is a 'in the know' on the Oatcake who has said Stoke are in for Gayle, early but promising.

I'll be gutted if Gayle is at the Hawthorns next year in another teams colours.

I get the whole it's not an affordable deal etc etc, but it will be a bit of a kick in the teeth to see another championship team have him.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #736 on: May 30, 2019, 11:54:36 AM »
Local  press linking the villa with Gayle

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #737 on: May 30, 2019, 12:37:22 PM »
Local  press linking the villa with Gayle
I rarely get foaming at the mouth about online stuff but if this ever came to pass some one will need to pass me my medication tout sweet
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #738 on: May 30, 2019, 12:47:38 PM »
I don't care where Gayle goes. He's not coming to us and that's it he's free to go wherever he sees fit.

I'm interested in what happens to West Bromwich Albion. I support them, they are in my blood, Dwight Gayle isn't. Good luck to him but life moves on.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #739 on: May 30, 2019, 12:51:58 PM »
I rarely get foaming at the mouth about online stuff but if this ever came to pass some one will need to pass me my medication tout sweet

I'd be delighted if Villa payed circa £20 million for a 29 year old striker who's main threat is pace and has never regularly held down a first 11 place in a PL team, never mind scored more than 5 or 6 in a season.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #740 on: May 30, 2019, 12:55:04 PM »

I'd be delighted if Villa payed circa £20 million for a 29 year old striker who's main threat is pace and has never regularly held down a first 11 place in a PL team, never mind scored more than 5 or 6 in a season.

Hope he will be Darren bent 2 for them.

But, I really hope they waste millions on abraham,  as the play offs showed when people decide to defend properly he is the non entity we saw at Swansea.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #741 on: May 30, 2019, 12:55:25 PM »

Agreed. It'd be awful business on Villa's part.

I hope they go ahead and do the deal.  8)

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #742 on: May 30, 2019, 01:55:33 PM »

Who's main threat is pace and the ability to anticipate goal scoring chances and to stay  calm and clincical whilst converting most of them. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #743 on: May 30, 2019, 02:04:10 PM »
I have to agree with jack o, Gayles premier league record is poor and is worth nowhere near 20mil, especially at 29, I’d love him back here but this is his level.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #744 on: May 30, 2019, 02:12:23 PM »
Gayle, much like Abraham, is not someone you would fork out for in the Premier League. It is why I had laugh at people suggesting that we swap Gayle for Rondon if we were promoted, it would have been awful business, one is a proven international, Premier League striker, the other has been sold/loaned out every time a club has been promoted.

Would love him here next season though  ;D

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #745 on: May 30, 2019, 07:40:12 PM »
100% with Jacko
Hope ey waste 40m on twammy and Dwight add that to the McCormack increase and the learner payout and suddenly they ain't got much left .FFP.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #746 on: May 31, 2019, 10:57:18 AM »
Just read this article from the Daily Star about Newcastle trying to get a deal with us for Rondon.

I wonder now, if the Gayle statement was made to take him out of the equation for the Rondon deal, perhaps we shouldn't write Gayle off just yet!

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/782340/Newcastle-West-Brom-Salomon-Rondon-transfer-news-gossip-deal-latest

If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #747 on: May 31, 2019, 01:29:23 PM »
I thought I'd look up some PL stats in the Rondon v Gayle debate.

Rondon

10845 mins - 35 goals
309 mins / goal

Gayle

4704 mins - 21 goals
224 mins / goal

Gayle has only started 50 PL games whereas Rondon has started 124.

I've never rated Rondon and would still take Gayle ahead of him.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #748 on: May 31, 2019, 01:37:19 PM »

Rondon

10845 mins - 35 goals
309 mins / goal

Gayle

4704 mins - 21 goals
224 mins / goal

they are non comparable as players, they offer completely different threats, I would say the work rondon does for a team is worth more than goals individual goals, rondon may not score them himself but his work will have contributed to them. There’s a reason managers and players rate him so highly.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #749 on: May 31, 2019, 01:40:41 PM »

Rondon

10845 mins - 35 goals
309 mins / goal

Gayle

4704 mins - 21 goals
224 mins / goal

I'd be very cautious about using stats as any sort of barometer. Rondon, for example, spent a number of those games playing for us isolated and having the ball banged at him from sixty yards.