Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2534546 times)

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #10800 on: March 24, 2020, 03:45:51 PM »
You know what's crazy about Berahino?

I just finished watching the season review (14/15 I think with Irvine and Pulis) and I'd forgotten just how good he was. It's actually quite sad watching it back because you forget just what he was capable of. Remember these two managers played very negative football, it wasn't like he was getting easy supply such as the strikers under promotion with Mowbray or anything, he was working on scraps.
However, his finishing was so good that it didn't matter, he was a complete natural.

I know he'll never return (and I wouldn't go after him regardless) but as said, it's just sad to see what could of been. He was capable of scoring all kinds of goals and truly had the world at his feet back then, it's crazy to think how it all ended up.

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #10801 on: April 17, 2020, 12:50:35 PM »
Don't often come in here, so apologies for the bump of a quiet thread.

Just for my own two pence worth, I would not be against Berahino coming back.
Obviously not as a headline signing, but a minimal fee, low wages and an understanding that he's here as backup/development, and I'd be golden.

He had (has?) natural goalscoring talent, in teams bereft of support and creativity. I'd like to think that doesn't go away. It's easy to forget how much of a bright light he was, in the dark days of Mel, Irvine and Pulis. It would be a huge comeback story as well. At the age of 26 he still has almost ten years left in him on the pitch.

Almost certain to not happen, but I'm bored and going on flights of fancy in my head.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10802 on: April 17, 2020, 12:54:18 PM »
Don't often come in here, so apologies for the bump of a quiet thread.

Just for my own two pence worth, I would not be against Berahino coming back.
Obviously not as a headline signing, but a minimal fee, low wages and an understanding that he's here as backup/development, and I'd be golden.

He had (has?) natural goalscoring talent, in teams bereft of support and creativity. I'd like to think that doesn't go away. It's easy to forget how much of a bright light he was, in the dark days of Mel, Irvine and Pulis. It would be a huge comeback story as well. At the age of 26 he still has almost ten years left in him on the pitch.

Almost certain to not happen, but I'm bored and going on flights of fancy in my head.

You certainly got the tense right Jimmy

You clearly are bored.

Understand where you are coming from, but not for me thank you.
MAGA!

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10803 on: April 17, 2020, 01:38:52 PM »
Well I hope his careers plummets until he ends up at Sporting Khalsa or Rushall Olympic.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10804 on: April 17, 2020, 05:00:40 PM »
He had one good season and everyone went overboard about him.
Never got near to replicating his 2014/15 season.
One hit wonder like so may others up and own the leagues.
Only sorry we never maximised the fee we could have got for him.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10805 on: April 18, 2020, 06:33:52 PM »
Would I have him back?
 No.

Has he squandered his career?

Yes to a point that one of the smaller clubs in Belgium is about his level at 26.

Do I regret losing the player he might have been?

Yes because the 18 months from his break through moment early 2013/2014 to the end of the 14/15 he was the genuine article and as natural finisher as I have ever witnessed in a team which created few chances and finished the season with the dead hand of Pulis at the tiller. That was not to say there wasn't room for improvement in his all round game but there was potential aplenty.

Was he solely responsible for his own down fall?

No not entirely. The car crash of his off field activities and the spat he had with the club around the aborted Spurs transfer was all down to him although we will never know who was whispering what into Berahino's ear in regard of the transfer.

Yet in terms of development he did absolutely need to get away from the club that was going into the dark winter of Pulisball. By the time he did leave everything had gone to hell. The sharpness wasn't there the time on the sidelines had taken it's toll on his confidence and his off pitch behaviour was if anything worsening.

He then went to Stoke and I am really not sure why they bought him, Hughes had no better idea as to coax the best out of him than Pulis.

Overall I wouldn't make excuses for the many flaws in his character and no matter what he certainly had the capacity to self destruct. Yet if there was ever a talent that needed the right environment to flourish it was Berahino. Sadly for all concerned it wasn't WBA in 2015 (5 years ago it seems like yesterday.)

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10806 on: May 11, 2020, 03:39:17 PM »
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10807 on: May 11, 2020, 03:48:46 PM »
Saido Berahino: I'd jump at chance of West Brom return

Pass

Source: https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2020/05/11/saido-berahino-id-jump-at-chance-of-west-brom-return/
Thankfully this isn’t twitter so you can’t all block me....I’d have him back 😀
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10808 on: May 11, 2020, 03:52:50 PM »
Polls at 50/50 at the moment roughly. If he came on a free on vastly reduced wages i'd consider it but doubtful.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10809 on: May 11, 2020, 03:55:56 PM »
He was a good player.

7 years ago he was light years ahead of the 3 'strikers' we've got now.

However, with promotion round the corner we can surely do much better than both him and the 3 incumbents.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #10810 on: May 11, 2020, 06:06:19 PM »
He was a good player.

However, with promotion round the corner we can surely do much better than both him and the 3 incumbents.
I honestly couldn't remember who our 3 incumbents are! This non football world has gone on too long.
Someone tell me who our forwards are
Bloody hell.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10811 on: May 11, 2020, 06:07:41 PM »
I honestly couldn't remember who our 3 incumbents are! This non football world has gone on too long.
Someone tell me who our forwards are
Bloody hell.

HRK, Austin and Zohore

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #10812 on: May 11, 2020, 06:12:45 PM »
HRK, Austin and Zohore
Thanks  gazberg, I've either got dementia or they ay nothing special.😁

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10813 on: May 11, 2020, 06:18:03 PM »
Full interview on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw19V9fj-bk&t=595s

Need to wind back to the beginning, operator error  :(
MAGA!

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10814 on: May 11, 2020, 06:24:42 PM »
Full interview on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw19V9fj-bk&t=595s

Need to wind back to the beginning, operator error  :(

Nice one! This could be a very interesting watch.

Am i intrigued to see if he could resurrect his career with us - yes I'd love to see this story end with a triumphant return.

Would I have him back - absolutely not. I'm getting more cynical as I hit my mid-thirties and I would expect him to let us all down.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10815 on: May 11, 2020, 06:30:45 PM »
I expect he would love to come back. The child maintenance payments must be pretty hefty!.

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #10816 on: May 11, 2020, 07:32:15 PM »
I hope that I never see Berahino at the Hawthorns again, especially as an Albion player. I could never imagine me not celebrating an Albion goal but an exception would be made if that waster ever played in an Albion shirt again. Give me HRK every time over Berahino, HRK works his socks off and gives everything every game. Nobody can say the same for the waster.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #10817 on: May 11, 2020, 07:33:56 PM »
Not for me, he had the potential to be a very good player and serve the club who gave him a good start in life. He wasted that chance and did nothing at Stoke but I think another club would take that chance and hope his foolishness has disappeared with maturity. Wish him well wherever he goes.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10818 on: May 11, 2020, 07:45:50 PM »
He was a good player.

I think a finisher is a finisher , fitness can be regained , still plenty in that tank.
We aren’t going to realistically change all three
So if we kept one (I’d have HRK) purchased a good one , got Saido on a free ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #10819 on: May 11, 2020, 07:54:26 PM »
Some supporters have short memories. Berahino disrespected the fans big time; I saw his last performances for us and he was a disgrace, showing no effort or desire whatsoever. Remember his ‘f you’ attitude at Northampton in that cup match? He did a very effective job of bridge burning. There are many, many up and coming young players that are deserving of a chance, Berahino blew his.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10820 on: May 11, 2020, 07:59:37 PM »
I think a finisher is a finisher , fitness can be regained , still plenty in that tank.
We aren’t going to realistically change all three
So if we kept one (I’d have HRK) purchased a good one , got Saido on a free ?

Unless the good one was a Rashford/Jesus level striker that would be a disastrous PL forward line.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10821 on: May 11, 2020, 08:01:19 PM »

Unless the good one was a Rashford/Jesus level striker that would be a disastrous PL forward line.
I honestly can’t see us changing all of them
I think the good one would be a Giroud/Ajeti type...if there was anyway we could get Haller, he’d be unbelievable for us .

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10822 on: May 11, 2020, 08:15:30 PM »
Thanks  gazberg, I've either got dementia or they ay nothing special.😁

The latter half of your reply i'd agree with although HRK seems to love it under Bilic.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10823 on: May 11, 2020, 08:20:57 PM »
I honestly can’t see us changing all of them
I think the good one would be a Giroud/Ajeti type...if there was anyway we could get Haller, he’d be unbelievable for us .

Without going wildly off topic of our 3 I'd only want to see Zohore in the squad next season. Austin while an asset currently is too old for the PL. Kanu does not deserve yet another crack at it after years of failure, whereas while KZ record at Cardiff in the PL was poor regards 1 goal in 19, his performances apparently were very good.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10824 on: May 11, 2020, 08:49:42 PM »
I genuinely think that he tried to resurrect his career with us just before he left, and then made an effort to do so at Stoke too (I actually believe his drink driving fiasco which got him released from Stoke).

However, in his final 6 months of playing with us and his few years at Stoke he was awful. You could see at Stoke in particular he was desperate to succeed and be loved, and even at times with us I think he wanted to be recapture his old form.
But that year out or whatever it was just completely ruined him. He's now scored 1 in 3 in the Belgium league which isn't great. I do genuinely feel sorry for him and hope he turns it around, but I don't think he could ever make it again in the Championship or above, I feel time has passed him by in that sense and no matter how dedicated and mature he is now, it's simply not enough and his chance has deserted him.