Author Topic: Morgan Rogers Joins Manchester City  (Read 25144 times)

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Morgan Rogers
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2019, 05:24:59 AM »
Disappointing as it is to lose Morgan, there is a positive aspect to this. The more players Albion bring through that “make it”, then the more encouragement there is for youngsters to come here. That in itself increases the chances of one or two sticking with the club.

Like most I think it’s a mistake for Morgan to move just at this point, but such is life. I imagine the contract on offer in Manchester is going to set the boy up for life, and who amongst us wouldn’t have done the same?

One other point, it’s true we recently took the lad from Cirencester, and it’s true that’s part of the food chain, and it’s true none of us gave much thought to Cirencester when he signed. The difference is that Cirencester have never been competition for Albion, whereas as Albion have, in very recent memory, been on a par with Manchester City. That’s where the rub lies for me, in that but for the obscene level of investment made in clubs like City, both here and abroad, the playing field would still be more or less level and competition in football would still be real. Those days though, are gone.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2019, 06:18:18 AM »
I thought the right move for Rakeem was to stay here and I can understand Barry going to Barcelona, But I think Rogers going to Man City would be a mistake.  At his Boyhood club and he will likely get game time this season. £20k per week now but never plays or progresses or play here and in a year or two he could get 100k if he’s developing.

We should be offering him £5k-10K per week, with firm  further rewards in his contract for milestones. Put it in writing he will go up to 15k per week the minute he hits 10 goals in a season, guarantee him 500 minutes this season etc. 10K pw might be a lot but that’s the market we are in unfortunately.

If it goes horribly wrong the lads had £750k and we’ve lost £1.5m. If it goes even remotely well we pocket a tidy profit.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2019, 09:28:25 AM »
A top premier league team will quite happily loan a player to anyone outside of the top 4, however we and other championship clubs seem reluctant to loan good players to other championship teams. This does limit the options of game time for youngsters when they hit 17-21 and want to break into a first team in the championship or premier league.

We are also no longer a premier league team and any lad at that age who is good wants to an opportunity to be on the books of a premier league team. The only option we have is to bring the first and youth team closer together and allow them to make mistakes and learn their trade unfortunately that will cost us points - something we can't afford to do when trying to bounce back the first season. As our budget is cut this season I would be very surprised if we don't see academy players breaking into the first team regularly. If I was Morgan I would stay and see who we sign as at the moment he is guaranteed a bench place.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2019, 10:07:12 AM »
Something about our club or our owner's ambition must make our players scramble for the door quicker than if the building was on fire.
As i say, it's nearly always us and i am getting tired of it now.
I assumed that he has turned down our offer of a new contract because it is Man City that have come calling.
 It's just the lure of a big team nothing to do with our club/owners ambitions. If he had decided not to sign a contract amid interest from a lower prem side or another championship side then I think you might have a point but it's the biggest club in Britain and arguably the richest club in the world who can afford to throw millions at a prospect so I don't really see how our ambition (or your perceived lack of it) has anything to do with it.
We lost academy kids to Liverpool and Chelsea when we were in the Premier league. Academy kids are likely to have their heads turned by the lure of big money and a higher profile club.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2019, 10:10:48 AM »
Senior Academy people have left the club , more uncertainty in the eyes of young players and their parents.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

pete

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2019, 10:35:59 AM »
He will end up like Izzy Brown and the likes. Stay here and get game time or go to a big club and sit on the bench!

Au revoir!
Kiss and make up sex is the best around, after all its better than no sex!

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2019, 10:45:37 AM »
He will end up like Izzy Brown and the likes. Stay here and get game time or go to a big club and sit on the bench!

Au revoir!
What's worse is we are low on attacking players so he has every chance of playing the majority of the friendlies and even starting the league games.
Add that to working with Bilic and his staff , madness in my view.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

smethwick2

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2019, 11:10:41 AM »
https://www.thesun.co.uk/uncategorized/9467707/man-city-west-brom-morgan-rogers/

Wow

8 mil? Crazy money for a kid who hasn't started a league game, I can forgive us letting him go for that

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2019, 11:13:11 AM »
8mil for a 16year old who no one knows how he will develop is a good deal for us I think, I’d imagine it contains a sell on clause too hopefully.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2019, 11:13:15 AM »
If that figure is true, at least we will have been compensated suitably this time for the 'potential' that we're losing.

bosh

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2019, 11:13:40 AM »
Hope it's not all add on related as he won't get much of a chance up there in my opinion.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2019, 11:14:28 AM »
8 mil? Crazy money for a kid who hasn't started a league game, I can forgive us letting him go for that

Me too, that’s obscene money.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2019, 11:31:44 AM »
Demonstrates that the Academy makes a profit. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2019, 11:37:52 AM »
Wow indeed. I thought the fee was pre-fixed at £235k or something? Do we get the £8m? Anyone know how this works?

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2019, 11:46:10 AM »
Wow indeed. I thought the fee was pre-fixed at £235k or something? Do we get the £8m? Anyone know how this works?

Yes, we get the money because he is going to an English club. If he went to Celtic or Barcelona, we would receive a flat £235k

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2019, 11:48:04 AM »
Grave doubts as to whether the 8 million is correct. Thought it was a flat fee with slight incremental increase for 1st team appearances etc. Unlikely to get any denials from our end as that kind of fee would be a blow softener to our fans
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2019, 11:52:47 AM »
It is crazy money for a 16 year old, but I guess it shows how much potential he has.

If he does go and spend a couple of seasons out on loan, worst case if he's not anywhere near Man City's squad he they will still sell him for 10millionish when he's 19.

For us it softens the blow a little, if we have also been able to include any sell on clauses then it helps us in the future.

Wish the lad all the best if he does move on, personally I think he's making the wrong decision moving to City (when you factor in Foden is the only youth player to breakthrough and even then he is limited to game time) but hopefully it helps him to progress and doesn't turn out to be another Izzy Brown/Yan Dhanda.

sie_davo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2019, 11:58:11 AM »
I thought City were facing a transfer embargo for a couple of seasons?  Is this not the case now?

Also, as well as a decent sell-on clause you'd like to think the club have negotiated a promising player on loan in return?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2019, 12:02:56 PM »
My first reaction to this was "this is rubbish, no-one is going to pay £8m for a kid in Rogers position" but then £8m to Man City is absolutely nothing.

If they are willing to pay that for him then damn right we should take it. There is never any guarantee with a sixteen year old with no first team experience. We'd have to be insane to even think about trying to keep him here.

Grab the money and run before they change their mind.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2019, 12:14:33 PM »
Yes, we get the money because he is going to an English club. If he went to Celtic or Barcelona, we would receive a flat £235k
Cheers mate. Didn't we get next to nowt for Brown, Dhanda and Sinclair though, or is this a new ruling?

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2019, 12:18:28 PM »
I notice the Daily Mail report is not mentioning any figures. They are just referring to a "compensation package"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7225029/Manchester-City-swoop-highly-rated-West-Brom-England-17-starlet-Morgan-Rogers.html

Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2019, 12:18:51 PM »
If it really is 8m then it just shows how mental the money is at the top of the pyramid, however good he is now or might be in 3 or 4 years, that is a LOT of money in the real world.

popmonkey

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2019, 12:23:48 PM »
I've heard rumours that Man City may be expecting some kind of youth transfer ban in the near future, so I guess this is one of the steps they're taking to avoid the impact.

It's sad that young talent is going to be wasted by a club hoovering up players like a twisted game of monopoly, rather than getting real game time in competitive leagues
Going down the Brummie Road... To see the Albion Aces!

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2019, 12:25:02 PM »
I hope we have a sell on clause written into the contract