Author Topic: OFFICIAL PREMIER LEAGUE THREAD  (Read 2372061 times)

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

Re: OFFICIAL PREMIER LEAGUE THREAD
« Reply #9025 on: May 19, 2020, 04:05:26 PM »

Why is he so special?

He is a premier league footballer, and as such is in a more privileged position than most. That is exactly what makes him so special.

With his privileged position comes the ability to make decisions that others cannot. How Watford address it, is for Watford and Deeney, as it would be for the employer or any key worker who decided not to go to work (many of whom would if they were in a position to).

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9026 on: May 19, 2020, 04:10:05 PM »
He is a premier league footballer, and as such is in a more privileged position than most. That is exactly what makes him so special.

With his privileged position comes the ability to make decisions that others cannot. How Watford address it, is for Watford and Deeney, as it would be for the employer or any key worker who decided not to go to work (many of whom would if they were in a position to).

He's an employee just like anyone else. None of them are any better than anyone else.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9027 on: May 19, 2020, 04:10:52 PM »

He's an employee just like anyone else. None of them are any better than anyone else.

So why are you treating him like he SHOULD be treated differently?  Or are you saying that EVERYONE should go back to work right now?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9028 on: May 19, 2020, 04:12:19 PM »
So why are you treating him like he SHOULD be treated differently?  Or are you saying that EVERYONE should go back to work right now?

What are you talking about?

It's not difficult .....

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9029 on: May 19, 2020, 04:13:31 PM »

He can't work from home, so yes he should be back at work.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9030 on: May 19, 2020, 04:17:15 PM »

What are you talking about?

It's not difficult .....

You've just said that he should be treated the same as every other employee right?  But you're also insisting he should go back to work even though he feels it's not safe?  So is that your advice for everyone?  Or are you treating Deeney differently to, say, a brickie who isn't going to work because his child is in the at risk group?

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9031 on: May 19, 2020, 04:17:29 PM »

He can't work from home, so yes he should be back at work.

Not the government advice.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9032 on: May 19, 2020, 04:22:26 PM »
Not the government advice.

Well it is, so let's leave it there.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9033 on: May 19, 2020, 04:34:09 PM »
The advice is if it is safe to do so.  Deeney doesn't think it is safe - and he has a point.  I don't see how anyone could support forcing someone back to work who is seriously worried about the health of their child.

Oh, and also this...

"There were six positive tests for coronavirus across three Premier League clubs on Sunday and Monday, as the top flight prepares to resume in June."

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9034 on: May 19, 2020, 04:37:55 PM »
The advice is if it is safe to do so.  Deeney doesn't think it is safe - and he has a point.  I don't see how anyone could support forcing someone back to work who is seriously worried about the health of their child.

Oh, and also this...

"There were six positive tests for coronavirus across three Premier League clubs on Sunday and Monday, as the top flight prepares to resume in June."

He's returning to one of the safest work environments in the world.

The guidance does not say he shouldn't go to work, it says he should report Watford FC to the local authority or the HSE if he has any concerns about safety in the workplace.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #9035 on: May 19, 2020, 04:39:56 PM »
We've already got one Albion-related Covid thread, and another one on top of that. We don't need a third.

Pack it in
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #9036 on: May 19, 2020, 04:44:25 PM »
Was it the fact that we had a chairman who managed to sell the club for four times its real value? or was that more recent? :)

No, not quite, this was achieved on the field of play. But I'm guessing you know that already  ;)
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9037 on: May 19, 2020, 04:51:42 PM »
Hey atomic,I think you need to really calm down mate,if you are on the  front line, you seem to be going completely over the top about Seeley.
Its his personal choice not to work as is your decision is too work.
Perhaps,with respect you should question your own character?

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9038 on: May 19, 2020, 05:34:22 PM »
Hey atomic,I think you need to really calm down mate,if you are on the  front line, you seem to be going completely over the top about Seeley.
Its his personal choice not to work as is your decision is too work.
Perhaps,with respect you should question your own character?

Just come on this this thread. Sorry mate who is Seeley?

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9039 on: May 19, 2020, 06:05:28 PM »

He's returning to one of the safest work environments in the world.

The guidance does not say he shouldn't go to work, it says he should report Watford FC to the local authority or the HSE if he has any concerns about safety in the workplace.

This one million percent , footballers are being protected more then any other industry I know of. This virus could be with us for years and years does that mean football ceases to exist? Or any other industry for that matter.

It’s at the point now we’re if your healthy and of a certain age , you’ve got to suck it up , adapt and get on with life otherwise life is just going to pass you by.

Adapt is the key word , we’ve all got to do it now the best we can !

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9040 on: May 19, 2020, 06:16:58 PM »
I meant Seeley mate.
Footballers might be but what about their families?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #9041 on: May 19, 2020, 06:25:23 PM »
Just come on this this thread. Sorry mate who is Seeley?

He was referring to Troy Deeney

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #9042 on: May 19, 2020, 06:29:18 PM »
This one million percent , footballers are being protected more then any other industry I know of. This virus could be with us for years and years does that mean football ceases to exist? Or any other industry for that matter.

It’s at the point now we’re if your healthy and of a certain age , you’ve got to suck it up , adapt and get on with life otherwise life is just going to pass you by.

Bang on mate.

I look forward to you adapting by offering to buy me a pint the first weekend the pubs open  ;D

I would have more weight to the Deeney argument had there been a considerable number more affected by Covid. 6 sounds pretty okay to be honest.

If players do not wish to play then that’s fine - someone else can play instead.

My overall feeling though is that the season should have been voided weeks ago.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9043 on: May 19, 2020, 06:30:41 PM »

It's not about a footballer catching it, it's about who they pass it onto.  How would you feel if you got ill at work, doing a job that didn't need doing, then came home and passed it onto someone vulnerable?

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9044 on: May 19, 2020, 06:37:35 PM »
It's not about a footballer catching it, it's about who they pass it onto.  How would you feel if you got ill at work, doing a job that didn't need doing, then came home and passed it onto someone vulnerable?

Should footballers be put on furlough then? I think so.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9045 on: May 19, 2020, 06:38:33 PM »

The same as millions of others up and down the country. Critical workers are now not the only people expected at work.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9046 on: May 19, 2020, 07:01:53 PM »
Should footballers be put on furlough then? I think so.

Possibly, its supposed to be used as an alternative to laying staff off.  You'd also be unable to get your players to follow a club regimented fitness routine.  it's entirely down to the club.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 07:08:23 PM by boinging_along »

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9047 on: May 19, 2020, 07:04:18 PM »

The same as millions of others up and down the country. Critical workers are now not the only people expected at work.

And, just like millions of people up and down the country, they can talk to their employers about the risks of them going back and how it would effect their family.

I am literally arguing they should be treated the same as other employees up and down the country.  We shouldn't force anyone to work if it puts themselves or their loved ones at risk.  It's even worse when we are asking them to do something as unimportant as football
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 07:08:01 PM by boinging_along »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9048 on: May 19, 2020, 07:11:06 PM »
And, just like millions of people up and down the country, they can talk to their employers about the risks of them going back and how it would effect their family.

I am literally arguing they should be treated the same as other employees up and down the country.  We shouldn't force anyone to work if it puts themselves or their loved ones at risk.

It's not up to the individual to decide if this is the case. If it was the hospitals would be full of bodies but empty of staff.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9049 on: May 19, 2020, 07:26:57 PM »
So if someone lives with someone in a high risk category you tjink they should be forced back into work?