Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread - Games resuming 20 June - CLUB RELATED ONLY  (Read 265282 times)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

Think resumption is very much in the balance. Some EU countries preparing to re-start while others have called it off.
Personally I would like to see it finished, even at the expense of a full 2020/21 season but, if that's not possible, then it should at least be finished on paper, using simple maths. If they did a points per game calculation then only a handful of teams would be affected in terms of safety / promotion / play offs places. The play offs can then go ahead behind closed doors.
To scrap and void makes no sense at all, as much as I'd like to see Liverpool scuppered.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Either complete the season behind closed doors or not. If not the tables are final. Teams that have a game in hand work out their average points per game and add that to their current total and that's that. You cannot start a new season before finishing the last one.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

Dybala has tested positive 4 times in 6 weeks. Juventus / Argentina striker

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

Whatever decision is made it will be made around finance.

The premier league could potentially lose a lot of money mainly to ourselves and Leeds in any legal proceedings taken. At the same time solicitors could potentially make a lot of money in representing us and Leeds.

This is a situation that all parties are aware of.

There could also be a case that if they cancel the season then there could be a situation where season ticket holders up and down the country have paid to see their team compete in a particular league for a whole season. Now if that league is cancelled ,should the season ticket money be refunded ??  It only needs one case up and down the country to be successful then it will open the flood gates for others to follow.

The only sensible thing to happen is to finish the season. The problems associated with anything else is just too bad to think of for the clubs and the leagues.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

I honestly cannot see how the season is going to be finished . Behind closed football sounds a good idea but I read the other day for a televised championship game there would be up to 200 people in the stadium and for a premier league game 500 people .

Behind closed doors football isn’t going to happen anytime soon with those numbers .

Personally I think they will void the season then start next season behind closed doors in September and even then with those numbers that’s not going to be possible

If the number of people present at a behind closed door games is as high as they said it needs to be then football isn’t going to happen for a long long time , this season or next season .

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Large superstores have around 100 people+working at any given time why is 200 too much?

In fact with the number of shoppers etc it's already around 200
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 12:34:56 PM by gazberg »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

The numbers cited (circa 200) include around a third of that being made up as press/media. These people do not need to be in the ground.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

In an empty stadium, the managers/subs/dugouts/4th officials etc can be kept well apart, no need to stick them on top of each other as is usually the case

gazberg

• WBA Manager

If the 200 include 60 press and media then they are not needed despite what their ego's migh tell them. 135 or less?? GAME ON!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 01:46:01 PM by gazberg »

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

Fat Gabby on talksport said this morning that Liverpool should be crowned champions and no relegation or promotion.

No self interest there then.

Like I said before the championship doesn't have to restart and can declare final positions stand as it doesn’t have the same tv money commitments that the prem have.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

Whatever decision is made it will be made around finance.

The premier league could potentially lose a lot of money mainly to ourselves and Leeds in any legal proceedings taken. At the same time solicitors could potentially make a lot of money in representing us and Leeds.

This is a situation that all parties are aware of.

There could also be a case that if they cancel the season then there could be a situation where season ticket holders up and down the country have paid to see their team compete in a particular league for a whole season. Now if that league is cancelled ,should the season ticket money be refunded ?? It only needs one case up and down the country to be successful then it will open the flood gates for others to follow.

The only sensible thing to happen is to finish the season. The problems associated with anything else is just too bad to think of for the clubs and the leagues.

Are you being hopeful mate or what? anyone making such a claim should be barred from football for life. These are exceptional circumstances, if anyone was successful with such a claim, clubs would not sell season tickets again.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Are you being hopeful mate or what? anyone making such a claim should be barred from football for life. These are exceptional circumstances, if anyone was successful with such a claim, clubs would not sell season tickets again.

While I agree with very little he has said regarding the virus, this issue with season ticket refunds is a real and current concern especially for lower league clubs if the season is not finished. Yes people love their clubs but a lot of people are going to come out of this crisis needing to bolster their finances by any means.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Baggy nerd

• Youth Baggie

This is something that is going to be with us for years to come just like flu.  In fact there are reports that this has been with us longer than people think

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-widespread-uk-very-start-pandemic-says-genetics-183900585.html

With this covid 19 virus some people just have mild cold symptoms others are in intensive care.  That,s just like the flu. So we live our lives with the flu and so its going to be with virus.

Also I do think the death figures are exaggerated. They are putting covid 19 down on death certificates when they had other problems.  My mother in law was taken into hospital from her care home last week. She is 88 and it was found out she had kidney problems but she was also tested for the virus and was found to be positive. She then had a chest X ray, that was clear. She had no cough and no fever but it was showing up in her blood. Now if she had died they would have put it down to covid 19 but it would have been kidney failure. She's now making a recovery.   

We cannot live our lives like this for years. We have just got to live with it because we may never have a vaccination. People who have health problems are always at risk from the flu but they don't lock themselves away all the time.  We have about 20,000 deaths every year from the flu . It would be interested to see if that figure has dropped because they are saying its covid 19 not the flu !!

Coronavirus has only been kept to the level it has because of a lockdown, figures for flu are without a lockdown. The numbers for this without a lockdown do not bear thinking about - it is not something you can just live with.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Swiss Pro football resuming June 8th behind closed doors. Training returns on May 11th.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

Coronavirus has only been kept to the level it has because of a lockdown, figures for flu are without a lockdown. The numbers for this without a lockdown do not bear thinking about - it is not something you can just live with.

Take a look at the  figures in Sweden who haven't had a lockdown.

Population 10 million, confirmed cases 20302 ( 0.2% of population), deaths 2462 ( 12% of confirmed cases).

UK figures

Population 65 million, confirmed cases 161145 (0.25% of population), deaths 21678 (13% of confirmed cases)

Of course our figures are only hospital deaths.

So our lockdown has produced a higher percentage of cases and deaths. Sweden is enjoying a near normal life with some minor restrictions but no lockdowns.  They will have very few business failures because of it. They will also see a smaller increase in unemployment. We will be hit hard on both these fronts.

So I wonder who has got it right ?  You can always tell me after the government has extended this current lockdown !! 

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Must say i feared for Sweden and it's population when they announced no lockdown and life would go on fairly close to normal but it seems they made the right call as time passes.

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

Population density is higher in many areas of Britain than in Sweden; which would have been a further contributing factor to the initial spread taking hold.
Sweden is also running at a significantly higher rate to more comparable Nordic countries.

Of course the country hasn't been totally open despite not being on lockdown and the football season is now scheduled for a restart in mid-June; having been originally scheduled for early April.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

But Sweden will achieve herd immunity a lot earlier than us and at the end of the day that is the thing that matters. We have more chance of living with herd immunity rather than waiting for a vaccine.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

Sweden have taken steps to limit the spread of the virus over there.  Most are working from home, schools are 'open' but a lot of people aren't sending their kids.  Swedes already tended to stay further apart from people than we're used to too.   I spent 2 months over there for work (got back end of Jan), and it wasn't until the last few days when we were in a crowded bar when a Swedish friend pointed out how close everyone was that I realised.  In the previous 2 months I don't think I'd been jostled once, it was suddenly weird to be in a bar and people shoulder to shoulder and nudging each other out of the way.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Sweden are still more open than us though by some distance and not suffering a higher death rate. They will also have less deaths post COVID19 than us from enonomic fallout i'd wager. Time will tell as always.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

While I agree with very little he has said regarding the virus, this issue with season ticket refunds is a real and current concern especially for lower league clubs if the season is not finished. Yes people love their clubs but a lot of people are going to come out of this crisis needing to bolster their finances by any means.
Well it's one thing to claim back a proportion for matches not attended, but the inference was to claim back in full if the season is null. That cannot be right mate.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

So perhaps this is going be the norm for us now.  I just saw an article about what Pritti Patel has said . She said social distancing is going to be the new norm in every workplace and area of the country. Nothing will be the same again.  How that's going to work on the metro on matchdays will be interesting to see !!

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

Sweden are still more open than us though by some distance and not suffering a higher death rate. They will also have less deaths post COVID19 than us from enonomic fallout i'd wager. Time will tell as always.
Yes, but as pointed out the demographic of the countries are also different.  They're nowhere near as densely populated as the UK for a start.  Their health service is well funded and they are taxed highly to pay for it.  As mentioned, they tend to not gather too closely in general anyway.  They also take instructions and follow rules better than us. 

Despite all that they're doing significantly worse than their scandi neighbours.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

Large superstores have around 100 people+working at any given time why is 200 too much?

In fact with the number of shoppers etc it's already around 200

I really don’t think you can compare a football match to a supermarket mate , people are in there to get essentials to eat and drink . You can not compare the two I don’t think

gazberg

• WBA Manager

I really don’t think you can compare a football match to a supermarket mate , people are in there to get essentials to eat and drink . You can not compare the two I don’t think

I'm not comparing the types of gathering, that would be mad, just the numbers. Also over 50% likely to be sparsely populated when there. 135 people once we have excluded the media. I go to work in my team and thats not essential, we just use social distancing at every possible chance and that's what should happen with BCD football. Everyone should be tested before the match takes place too of course.

Yes, but as pointed out the demographic of the countries are also different.  They're nowhere near as densely populated as the UK for a start.  Their health service is well funded and they are taxed highly to pay for it.  As mentioned, they tend to not gather too closely in general anyway.  They also take instructions and follow rules better than us. 

Despite all that they're doing significantly worse than their scandi neighbours.

You can't quantify to what extent that is true though when it comes to discussing cultural differences. I agree with you generally for what it's worth as you have more experience of Sweden than me but as i said, and if i can be frank and with no disrespect meant to anyone who's been through it or lost anyone, COVID19 has a very low mortality rate in terms of the entire population and won't cause as many deaths than the economic fallout will.

Sweden may not be faring quite as well now but when we look back in 10 years i feel secure in stating that they won't have as many deaths caused by post-pandemic fallout than everyone else will and if things stay as they are for Sweden and don't shoot up then they will probably have one of the lowest total of deaths when thats factored in.