Author Topic: Playing for the shirt  (Read 1497 times)

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

Playing for the shirt
« on: January 29, 2022, 11:50:40 PM »
 >:( Do these players know what playing for the shirt means??
Bomber Brown, The King,Graham Williams, Bobby Hope,Ronnie Allen and Ray Barlow did💖 What does it mean to the current lot of players....no pride,passion,play till you drop??? I am astonished and 😢 sad
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 11:52:12 PM by chipperclark »

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

Re: Playing for the shirt
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 02:19:55 AM »
In a word: NO absolute bunch of **** houses the lot of them. I started going in megsons first season in the kids of a quid roll out and this is by far the worst bunch i have ever seen.

Furlong better at throws than at kicking.
Kipre can sometimes pick a pass but looks woeful most of the time. Ajayi a poor defender makes up for it with his pace and goal threat. Bartley ok backs to the wall stuff mostly blamss other people nothing special. Clarke overrated. Townsend fine as a left back shouldnt be heralded as Hulls answer to roberto Carlos he didnt assist or score.

Livermore awful waste of resources was box to box now he runs in treacle. Cant even make a 5 yard pass. Phillips the biggest bottler i have seen where the shirt consistently. Those two have seen off pulis moore pardew billic and val will be next. Overpaid both of them and beyond their best no fight

Robinson i like but i think thats because he is better than most of the dross we have. He seems to be able to create. Diangana has never played well as a wba player all his best performances were when he was on loan. Grant hides and every so often cuts in on right foot and scores. We stuck with him for 4 more years... Zohore jesus not even interested in yhe game just wants his pay packet. Molumby awful signing whose only real strength is he isnt Livermore. Snodgrass not been worth the wages we have no doubt shelled out.

Adam reach what a bad signing he was and the trajectory we are on we are going to see more players of his level...

In reality we should be looking to give palmer and Griffiths a goas our keepers. Both young and hungry. O shea im a big fan of and think he should be made captain. Dike liked what i saw in his 2 cameos he is right age and had potential. Mowatt early doors did well hes been dragged down by the rest of the dross we have. But decent player. TGH needs game time also.

Half of this squad i wouldnt care if i saw the back of some i really want to see the back of. Thats pretty damning
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 03:20:07 PM by MarkW »
O Albion we love you

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 05:55:08 AM »
Chris Lepkowski said in a recent podcast that there are players at the club that are part of the decay of the club over recent seasons. I don't always agree with Lepkowski but I do in this case. Players like Livermore and Phillips are part of the culture of failure and both should be shipped out of the club at the end of the season. Its an age thing as well.

However, there are also players at the club who are better than what they are showing at the moment. Townsend is an obvious one. At the start of the season he was being called Connor Carlos and looking superb. Just lately he looks a shadow of what he once was he is clearly lacking belief and confidence.

I remember Bomber Brown saying on WM recently that he was on the verge of leaving the club under Don Howe. He was being asked to play a way he wasn't comfortable with, wasn't happy,  was being left out and ultimately almost left. Don Howe was sacked John Giles came in and the rest is history.

Despite the issues we have I don't see any players not trying or playing for the shirt. They are just not comfortable, they have no belief, they're not happy and they are lacking confidence.

Throstletown

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 06:43:55 AM »
Despite the issues we have I don't see any players not trying or playing for the shirt. They are just not comfortable, they have no belief, they're not happy and they are lacking confidence.

Sorry I'm seeing players bottling tackles and basically going through motions, half hearted passes and lack of effort.

I'm calling out Grant and Robinson as they don't even challenge for the balls and if anyone challenges them they just give up.

Defensively I blame Val in the system playing our slowest CB.s in a high line and playing Furlong who has a foot like Barts head. Like a roulette wheel no one knows where its going to land.   

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 06:50:49 AM »

Sorry I'm seeing players bottling tackles and basically going through motions, half hearted passes and lack of effort.

I'm calling out Grant and Robinson as they don't even challenge for the balls and if anyone challenges them they just give up.

That's the type of players they are. Robinson in particular is physically weak he's never going to go into tackles. Matt Phillips is another one.

It's not lack of effort it's what they are.

The half hearted passes are as a result of little confidence and belief in what they are doing.

If you think about yourself - if you believe in something you can't wait to do it. If you know something isn't going to work before you even try but you have to do you dont have any conviction in what you do.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2022, 01:09:49 PM »
It's crushing as a supporter to see the lack of passion in the players but I think a decent coach/ manager could ignite some of it in them. I reckon there's a good half dozen of them who are capable of much more given the right managing style.

Unfortunately we are run by clueless idiots and the chance of us getting any kind of joy while they are still here is extremely unlikely.

Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022, 01:59:02 PM »
I don't know how true it is, as I only saw it on t'internet, but someone quoted Bomber as saying that he himself had periods during his career, where he was disillusioned with tactics and management styles and found it difficult to get up for games. Does anyone know if that's true? If not then please forgive me, I am not trying to sully the reputation of a legend.
If it is true, however, it does give a bit of perspective that even the most committed and loyal of professionals struggle with poor management.

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 02:02:02 PM »
the players have no loyalty to the club only the bank accounts.

we've seen it time and again with our squads over the last few years.

first thing we need is 2 leaders, 1 in the manager or head coach whatever title is going and the other in the club captain.

when was the last proper leader we had wear the armband ?

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2022, 04:12:58 PM »
I don't know how true it is, as I only saw it on t'internet, but someone quoted Bomber as saying that he himself had periods during his career, where he was disillusioned with tactics and management styles and found it difficult to get up for games. Does anyone know if that's true? If not then please forgive me, I am not trying to sully the reputation of a legend.
If it is true, however, it does give a bit of perspective that even the most committed and loyal of professionals struggle with poor management.

I can confirm that he said this yes. On WM, possibly after Preston game. I know I was in the car when I heard it.

Bilston Dan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2022, 04:24:19 PM »
We can't view football with the same rose tinted glasses that we would have 20-30 years ago...football has changed and if we are to view footballers as we did in the past. Long gone are the days when they were "real" people...the type of chaps who might pop into the local for a pint...

"I don't get hangovers, I just feel sick and have a headache"

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2022, 01:37:30 AM »
I really wouldn’t care if we cleared the entire squad bar those that have come up though the various youth teams .

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2022, 08:34:16 AM »
I've been nothing short of disgusted with some of the 'efforts' put in over the last two games, second half at Millwall in particular. Reminiscent of a couple of last season's debacles, especially before the loans came in. At least they were behind closed doors though.

If players aren't good enough they're not good enough. If tactics need to change they need to change, but so do attitudes. Too many of these players have let themselves, their teammates, the supporters and the shirt down. They are better than this.

It's probably best I leave it there especially as we have the rest of the season ahead of us, but I'm far more disappointed with some of them than I am with Valerien Ismael or was with Sam Allardyce or Slaven Bilic before them. I include a number of our newer players too.

Very, very disappointed. Angry even. Anyway, COYB and all that.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2022, 08:20:19 AM »
what's with having a break, they should have been in Sunday morning after the debacle of last wed and Saturday   >:(
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2022, 08:31:55 AM »
It's crushing as a supporter to see the lack of passion in the players but I think a decent coach/ manager could ignite some of it in them. I reckon there's a good half dozen of them who are capable of much more given the right managing style.

Unfortunately we are run by clueless idiots and the chance of us getting any kind of joy while they are still here is extremely unlikely.

some of these players have been woeful under 3 different managers with different styles though, Bilic, Allardyce and now Ismael.

For me it's far more a player problem than a manager problem.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2022, 08:34:41 AM »
Hardly anyone plays for the shirt anymore. Players that play for clubs they supported as kids might be but everyone else is chasing money. Agents compound the issue by pushing for moves so they can get their cut too.