Author Topic: Nathan Ferguson Joins Crystal Palace  (Read 204322 times)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

Re: Nathan Ferguson
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2019, 08:18:29 PM »
His flexibility means we should never have to see Townsend in an Albion shirt again.

Think you are being a bit harsh on Townsend, he is not that bad. It’s just that we are being spoilt with Ferguson at the mo
MAGA!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2019, 08:31:45 PM »
Saw on TV that some QPR fans called him over to shake his hand and tell him how good he was.
Fair play to them for that
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

buzzingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2019, 09:43:00 PM »
Please please please sign this lad up. 18 wow. Best prospect I've seen in my life time, I'm 34.

Bilston Dan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2019, 10:29:21 PM »
I love how he conducts himself on the pitch...he is so far ahead of his years. I wish him all the best, hopefully we can keep hold of him but if not I hope he goes onto better and bigger things. Top lad.
"I don't get hangovers, I just feel sick and have a headache"

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2019, 12:09:53 AM »
Saw on TV that some QPR fans called him over to shake his hand and tell him how good he was.
Fair play to them for that

That's classy. Props to the QPR supporters for that.

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2019, 01:38:34 AM »
I'm probably getting a bit carried away with this lads performances but I have never seen a fullback at the Albion with so much potential,nobody and I mean nobody goes past him and he is even playing on the left,as much as like Daniel Furnell he cannot defend as good as this kid,and if Ferguson switches to rightback he would be even more confident coming forward

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2019, 06:56:54 AM »
As I said the other day, the best full back I have seen at the Albion since Derek Statham, for our younger supporters, he was the best left back in the country at the time, the only reason he was not an England regular was the then common London bias.
I thought he lost a little focus after he scored but that is only to be expected for a young man, loved his interview after the game, he was clearly absolutely buzzing.
Baggie in Southampton

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2019, 07:59:40 AM »
I'm probably getting a bit carried away with this lads performances but I have never seen a fullback at the Albion with so much potential,nobody and I mean nobody goes past him and he is even playing on the left,as much as like Daniel Furnell he cannot defend as good as this kid,and if Ferguson switches to rightback he would be even more confident coming forward

Todd Kane did once first half and the substitute did once second half. Lets not get things out of perspective.

The lad is an extremely talented player and defensively he's solid as a rock, you don't worry when someone takes him on because you know 9 times out of 10 Fergie will see them off.

BUT he's 18 lets not get carried away with him, things can turn very quickly at that age.

People comparing him to Statham are being unfair on the lad. Statham to this day is still the best left back I've ever seen.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2019, 08:38:29 AM »
He's got great potential but a long way yet to be classed in Stathams bracket. we've had a few full backs that seem to be forgotten when comparing. He's yet to teach David Burrows standard first 😴

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2019, 09:23:38 AM »
As said by others, massive potential and clearly loves playing for the club. Not yet at Stathams level as others have said.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2019, 02:17:26 PM »
Some great performances but I do wonder where his future is.

Could he pick up a defensive midfield role, could centre back come in time or is he a right back. He does have 5 years on Furlong but I honestly have no idea.

It would be a shame to see him on the bench long term after such a good start though.

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2019, 05:31:46 PM »
Gibbs should struggle to get back in the team to be honest. Ferguson has proven himself to be a better defender than Gibbs in his relatively short time in the team. If we weren't pretty well stacked in the midfield I would suggest trying Gibbs out as a left winger or similar.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2019, 07:14:20 PM »
Some great performances but I do wonder where his future is.

Could he pick up a defensive midfield role, could centre back come in time or is he a right back. He does have 5 years on Furlong but I honestly have no idea.

It would be a shame to see him on the bench long term after such a good start though.
One thing for sure , he is not for the bench.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2019, 07:38:19 PM »
If he is right footed, I think he's better suited to right back. You should be able to cross with your left foot if you are getting forward and need to get crosses in from the left.  I think Gibbs is still probably the best left back in the division and think he offers alot going forward helping to open up oppo defences. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2019, 07:42:11 PM »
I disagree re Statham, both broke into the first team at 18, Statham was great going forward although he only scored a handful of goals, Ferguson has real potential to be the best since Statham (needs more games and maintain the current performance level), but for me he has been outstanding and his stats back that up.
Baggie in Southampton

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2019, 08:32:26 PM »
Would not be at all surprised to see Bilić go back to Gibbs on Tuesday. Well known for 'grounding' youngsters expectations.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2019, 12:09:59 AM »
I have been impressed with his rapid rise to prominence this season. Comparisons to other players are to some extent pointless we know how things turned out for Statham or Burrows whereas all we have seen from Ferguson is a few games where his potential is obvious but that isn't a decade long career. He is not the next Derek Statham he is the first Nathan Ferguson and should be cherished for that. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2019, 09:53:49 AM »
.......Comparisons to other players are to some extent pointless.......He is not the next Derek Statham he is the first Nathan Ferguson and should be cherished for that.

100% in agreement.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

baggieboyfred

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2019, 10:50:21 AM »
If he is right footed, I think he's better suited to right back. You should be able to cross with your left foot if you are getting forward and need to get crosses in from the left.  I think Gibbs is still probably the best left back in the division and think he offers alot going forward helping to open up oppo defences.
He is right footed  and one would expect him to play at RB with gibbs now fit again which is hard on darnell , who is much better going forward , but NF might feel more comfortable going forward on his natural side,  on current form he is the best defender of the 3 of them ultimately I believe there is a quality centre back in there,

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2019, 11:04:47 AM »
He's too small to be a CB at the moment, seems much better suited to RB\LB. 

Going forward I can see us resting him in some games.  He's still young, there's no point running him into the ground when we have Gibbs\Furlong as well.  We should rotate them depending upon who we play against.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2019, 11:42:26 AM »
Put simply, he is a gem!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2019, 01:33:38 PM »
How long remains on his contract?

An excellent start to the season. Such maturity for an 18 year old.

He's scoring goals for Albion and there was me lying on the Jesson out me tree  ;D
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2019, 01:37:23 PM »
How long remains on his contract?

An excellent start to the season. Such maturity for an 18 year old.

He's scoring goals for Albion and there was me lying on the Jesson out me tree  ;D
on his last year, which is in line with usual contract policy with the young players. 2 year at 16, 3 year at 18 and decision at 21.

rajesh-wba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2019, 01:50:31 PM »
It is brilliant see Nathan Ferguson doing so well for Albion. He comes across as a humble and grounded individual. I don't know him directly, but know of him, as he attended the same secondary school as myself (Perry Beeches, now known as Arena Academy).

I know his ex PE teacher always felt he had a chance to develop into a professional footballer. The work the Academy has done with him has also helped him, I think he would go one day a week and train with Academy when at school.
Only ever heard positive comments about his attitude, character and work ethic. Much of that is due to his grounding from his Parents, who have made sure he has always kept his feet on the ground.

The staff at his former school are all incredibly proud of him and his success to date. He played for the school football team and was always a very talented indivudal with a strong work ethic. From memory he played central midfield.

I actually think playing at left back makes us a "better team", as when attacking it allows us to play a back 3 (Ajayi, Bartley and Ferguson), push Furlong as a right sided winger, and allow Phillips to play closer to the forward. The dynamics of the team looks good, but I think Bilic will manage him correctly.

Not quite sure if playing him Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday is something Bilic will do personally. I actually think we need Ferguson more against Cardiff (to cope with there physicality and strength at the back post).

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2019, 03:19:12 PM »
I disagree re Statham, both broke into the first team at 18, Statham was great going forward although he only scored a handful of goals, Ferguson has real potential to be the best since Statham (needs more games and maintain the current performance level), but for me he has been outstanding and his stats back that up.

I agree, I noticed his potential in the friendly v Bournemouth . He has exceeded all expectations since, sky is his limit . However, let’s not get too carried away with Statham comparisons .
I remember another full back/centre back, who we all rated very highly, Man U were reported to be interested. Expectations were high..........what ever happened to Zuivaloon ?!