Author Topic: And there you have it...  (Read 9872 times)

Throstletown

• Youth Baggie

Re: And there you have it...
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2018, 12:04:19 PM »
You can have a Ferrari/BMW/Mercedes but if you put a Morris Minor engine in them you get an Albion.
For years I have been speaking about the centre midfield being the problem, no pace, no fire power, no excitement.
Our defenders can lumped the ball as good as those two yesterday or better still just ask the goalie to booted as far as he can because that what we have at the moment.
We have pace on the wings but no one to give them a decent ball until Bolton get set up to double and treble team them.
Brunt, Livermore, Barry plodders as dynamic as a tortoise, Morrison our hope he's been here over a decade ffs stale boring, result last season and yesterday. I dont get paid millions, tens of thousands maybe I should take a coaching badge!     

« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 12:05:55 PM by Throstletown »

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2018, 12:28:57 PM »
You can have a Ferrari/BMW/Mercedes but if you put a Morris Minor engine in them you get an Albion.
For years I have been speaking about the centre midfield being the problem, no pace, no fire power, no excitement.
Our defenders can lumped the ball as good as those two yesterday or better still just ask the goalie to booted as far as he can because that what we have at the moment.
We have pace on the wings but no one to give them a decent ball until Bolton get set up to double and treble team them.
Brunt, Livermore, Barry plodders as dynamic as a tortoise, Morrison our hope he's been here over a decade ffs stale boring, result last season and yesterday. I dont get paid millions, tens of thousands maybe I should take a coaching badge!     

It doesn't help Sam Field being always injured either. He should be filling one of those central midfield places now.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2018, 12:32:22 PM »

It doesn't help Sam Field being always injured either. He should be filling one of those central midfield places now.
We're crying out for some new central midfielders who can take hold of a game, pass and create. That was obvious when we went down though...

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2018, 12:58:57 PM »
Still hamstrung by the squad that Pulis built.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2018, 01:05:32 PM »
I said it when Darren Moore was appointed and I'll say it again. We need a complete clear-out of the team Pulis put together, along with all its negative one-pace mentality and approach to the game and 'survival first' attitude. Pulis destroyed us. Consquently, its going to take a few years of re-building in the championship until we're even going to be remotely ready for the Prem.

The board has to act and act now by releasing funds to bring hungry fresh young attack-minded talent in and completely clear the decks of the likes of Brunt, Livermore, Barry et al. who are just taking us for mugs.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2018, 01:05:54 PM »
Still hamstrung by the squad that Pulis built.

Agreed. Also the lack of ambition with our manegerial appointments has always bothered me. This is nothing against DM and I am fully behind him but we often went for the cheap easy choice. First requirement: Are they out of work at the moment?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2018, 01:10:43 PM »
I said it when Darren Moore was appointed and I'll say it again. We need a complete clear-out of the team Pulis put together, along with all its negative one-pace mentality and approach to the game and 'survival first' attitude. Pulis destroyed us. Consquently, its going to take a few years of re-building in the championship until we're even going to be remotely ready for the Prem.

The board has to act and act now by releasing funds to bring hungry fresh young attack-minded talent in and completely clear the decks of the likes of Brunt, Livermore, Barry et al. who are just taking us for mugs.

Brunty has a role to play but he shouldn't be starting every game now. We are over-reliant on his delivery to create anything. He's almost only playing for set pieces. Without Dawson, Evans, McAuley our set piece threat has diminished remarkably only Hegazi gets his head to anything in the opponents box.

We have to build a "team" that can function.

Throstletown

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2018, 01:28:26 PM »
This is not American football where you bring on a kicker for set pieces.
You have to tackle no he does not do that, You have to attack no he does not do that, You have to able to beat your opposing player no he does not do that, You have to run no he does not do that.
He should be lucky to be on the bench in the cup matches, sentiment and reputation counts for nothing in this league, tackling, bottle, effort and leaving everything on that pitch.
Can you guess who I am talking about?           

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2018, 01:50:14 PM »
This is not American football where you bring on a kicker for set pieces.
You have to tackle no he does not do that, You have to attack no he does not do that, You have to able to beat your opposing player no he does not do that, You have to run no he does not do that.
He should be lucky to be on the bench in the cup matches, sentiment and reputation counts for nothing in this league, tackling, bottle, effort and leaving everything on that pitch.
Can you guess who I am talking about?           

Livermore?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Backofthenet

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2018, 09:49:36 AM »
Hopefully things can get sorted pretty soon or this pattern will continue over the next few months.
Saturday was a lesson for some and lets hope they learn quickly. Our squad is nowhere near good enough and we have done little to improve what we have.
We have players that we believe are worth a fortune - Rondon, Dawson, Chadli etc, but to be fair at the end of last season we would have been happy to get rid as they were actually failures in what they did. We seem to forget quite quickly that some of these players who we are thinking should fetch millions got relegated so by definition they are not Premier League players or good enough. If they were we would still be in the PL. So lets complete the clear out quickly and get in some players who will actually do the job.
I can't believe the hype about Rondon and 16 million. Why would Newcastle want him and be prepared to pay that much? No wonder these players can afford to put in less of a shift if there's always someone else willing to offer them something.
Still can't believe we let Foster go - we would have at least drawn on Saturday with him there and it probably wouldn't have taken much to keep him.
There is a danger that we are moving from one worrying situation to another with no plan. This week will be quite defining as Forest will be buoyed with their point and want to build on that whilst Norwich are pretty similar to Bolton - fairly mediocre but capable. If we get 4 points out of it then well done. If not I think we should be concerned.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2018, 01:02:30 PM »
Every summer the Albion talk about learning lessons, but they showed Saturday that we haven't.

The same problems reared their head again; no pace, no movement, two static banks of four. We need to move forward, but trying to keep the squad together has held us back.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2018, 01:30:54 PM »
We have players that we believe are worth a fortune - Rondon, Dawson, Chadli etc, but to be fair at the end of last season we would have been happy to get rid as they were actually failures in what they did. We seem to forget quite quickly that some of these players who we are thinking should fetch millions got relegated so by definition they are not Premier League players or good enough. If they were we would still be in the PL. So lets complete the clear out quickly and get in some players who will actually do the job.
I've been saying this all summer, but the counter-argument has either been that many of these players are good enough to win promotion from this level, or else shifting them all out would be too much upheaval at once. To my mind, finishing bottom last season makes the first counter-argument questionable, whilst the second is more understandable, but you could also say that retaining too many players from last season's pathetic failure would be insufficient change.

It looks like we're going to run out of time without going to be able to do much of an overhaul now. With no director of football, sacked scouts not having yet been replaced (as far as we know) and Garlick presumably having now left as well, player identification, evaluation and recruitment are all problems for us at present because we simply have too few people at the club to perform the required functions.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2018, 03:48:22 PM »
I've been saying this all summer, but the counter-argument has either been that many of these players are good enough to win promotion from this level, or else shifting them all out would be too much upheaval at once. To my mind, finishing bottom last season makes the first counter-argument questionable, whilst the second is more understandable, but you could also say that retaining too many players from last season's pathetic failure would be insufficient change.

It looks like we're going to run out of time without going to be able to do much of an overhaul now. With no director of football, sacked scouts not having yet been replaced (as far as we know) and Garlick presumably having now left as well, player identification, evaluation and recruitment are all problems for us at present because we simply have too few people at the club to perform the required functions.

Didn't Swansea start with only 3 players on Saturday who started their last game last season ? To get a new squad playing together can be done with the right management and coaching. Was it Huddersfield who brought in about 15 players so went away to a camp with no technology so they could get to know each other, ended up getting promotion and then last season stayed in the division ?

Comfortable players at this club have been a problem before and still remains.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2018, 09:25:05 PM »
To get a new squad playing together can be done with the right management and coaching. Was it Huddersfield who brought in about 15 players so went away to a camp with no technology so they could get to know each other, ended up getting promotion and then last season stayed in the division ?

Comfortable players at this club have been a problem before and still remains.
I agree with you entirely but, going by what Darren said some weeks back, his plan was to keep as many of last season's regulars as he could. Of course, any notion of bringing in lots of new players and knitting them together would have been compounded by not having Graeme Jones in place sooner (not that there was a chance of this), as his experience would make him ideal for such a gelling process.

Now it looks to be too late, so I suspect we'll mainly be reactive for the remainder of the window rather than proactive. A team half full with loanees won't be a suitable solution either.