Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 662005 times)

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #550 on: August 22, 2019, 06:35:09 AM »
 :D I think Sam has the makings of a good goalkeeper. He could take notice of a few Foster videos and notice that Foster was always on his toes when the opposition were attacking so he was well prepared for an unexpected shot and could move quickly in either direction.

He also stood in and around 3m off his goaline, which meant he had cut down the angle of the incoming shot by about 20%,allowing him to divert any inbound shot as he was on his toes and anticipating what was going to happen...he got this from years of experience and good solid concentration.

Sam does not have that concentration and anticipation ,yet. This will come in time. He is too flatfooted in preparation and clings to the goaline, hence when a shot comes in he cannot react as quickly or cover as much of his goal. This is why he seems flatfooted and fails to dive to keep out the goals he has conceded this year and last.
Foster rarely failed to attempt to stop shots no matter if he had no chance. He also had a great awareness on what was happening in front of him and was always belting out orders to his defence.
The goalkeeping coaches at Albion should be picking up on this.

I have coached keepers in the past and played myself ....I am not an expert,but can see these flaws in his game.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #551 on: August 22, 2019, 07:41:55 AM »
A statto on twitter recon's that our Sam has the following stats
Appearances 52
Conceded 65
Conceded 15 of those from outside the area
Percentage conceded from outside the box = a worrying 23%
Discuss
(Edited) For my part I don't think he has had much of a chance with the last two goals conceded and as said below the defending has at times left him over exposed so pretty ambivalent about him TBH a bit flaky at times but generally OK
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 08:16:35 AM by BigFrank20 »
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #552 on: August 22, 2019, 07:45:54 AM »
I just feel that, if you so choose, you can blame a goalkeeper for almost any goal. Some are continually demanding that Bond gets a run. Think back to Milwall cup game. Was he so good? Just saying.....

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #553 on: August 22, 2019, 08:02:22 AM »
I’m not Johnstone’s biggest fan... but he had no chance with their goal last night

Let’s criticise the pathetic defending instead for a change..
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #554 on: August 22, 2019, 08:20:55 AM »
Blimey, straws being seriously clutched at if we are looking at SJ for the goal.

Sawyers, Phillips and Livermore to receive blame in equal measure on that one for getting nowhere near the guy before he pinged it.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #555 on: August 22, 2019, 08:44:44 AM »
The goal last night was the midfields fault and weren't much Johnstone could have done.

Fed up of seeing the negative comments to be honest. Johnstone is quite active on twitter and instagram and will see a lot of the negativity every day, you can imagine some of those comments will eventually get to him which in hindsight will start to affect his performances. I wouldn't mind if half the time he is to blame  ???

I have said it before, there aren't many keepers in the championship that I would have over SJ.

You only have to go and look at some of the goals Butland has conceded this season.

How about we actually support our goalkeeper, we have been spoilt with Foster for so long. Johnstone was asked to play out from the back at every occasion last year and they way we set up exposed him massively, this season we aren't so reliant on playing out all the time and he looks more comfortable. He also made the most saves in the division last year which again shows how open we were.

DM, Shan and now Bilic are all happy with him as our number 1, maybe some of the constant moaners should just let him concentrate on his football.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #556 on: August 22, 2019, 09:33:35 AM »
I just feel that, if you so choose, you can blame a goalkeeper for almost any goal. Some are continually demanding that Bond gets a run. Think back to Milwall cup game. Was he so good? Just saying.....

He wasn't any worse though.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #557 on: August 22, 2019, 09:40:52 AM »
Appearances 52
Conceded 65
Discuss
(Edited) For my part I don't think he has had much of a chance with the last two goals conceded and as said below the defending has at times left him over exposed so pretty ambivalent about him TBH a bit flaky at times but generally OK

How many of that 23% could he have done anything about? If the midfielders are giving time and space for decent shots outside the box and not closing down that is my bigger concern.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #558 on: August 22, 2019, 09:53:43 AM »
The goalkeeping coach needs to start doing his job properly.
Both Johnstone and Bond don't seem to be in control of their box when a set piece is taken.
Haveing said that, Bond needs to come and make Johnstone earn his place because Johnstone cannot see the possibility of shots from a distance and therefore doesn't react in time.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #559 on: August 22, 2019, 10:41:31 AM »
From a personal perspective I think criticism of Johnstone for the goal is harsh.

Ejaria looked dangerous last night and was given the freedom of the Hawthorns, he composed himself and struck the ball well. As for comments that Johnstone had nothing else to do he made more saves than the Reading keeper, they had five on target to our four.

Considering we had 20 attempts on goal overall to their ten I was more concerned about last night's finishing than I was our keeping. Get more on target and we increase our chances of scoring, potentially negating debatable short comings elsewhere.

Johnstone generally used the ball well too, my only criticism being he hung on to it for too long on a couple of occasions. Thought he had a decent game in all, I also thought he looks leaner and quicker on his toes than last season.

I'm more concerned with Charlie Austin's lack of match sharpness than I am with Sam Johnstone's abilities in goal thus far. Hopefully both players go on to fulfill their potential with us this season.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #560 on: August 22, 2019, 12:36:34 PM »
He isn't the best keeper we have had but he's not the worst. It was always gong to be hard following Foster.
Some people on FB couldn't wait to blame him for the goal last night, but i don't think there was much he could have done about it.
All keepers make mistakes, look at England keeper Butland's last night at Preston, if that had been Johnstone he would have been flayed alive.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #561 on: August 22, 2019, 12:49:25 PM »
Blimey, straws being seriously clutched at if we are looking at SJ for the goal.

Sawyers, Phillips and Livermore to receive blame in equal measure on that one for getting nowhere near the guy before he pinged it.

This in bucket and spades.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #562 on: August 22, 2019, 01:02:23 PM »
The goalkeeping coach needs to start doing his job properly.
Both Johnstone and Bond don't seem to be in control of their box when a set piece is taken.
Haveing said that, Bond needs to come and make Johnstone earn his place because Johnstone cannot see the possibility of shots from a distance and therefore doesn't react in time.

Is this a wind up DB?

Watch the shot last night in real time and tell me that Sam had enough time to get into the top left to save it. That was a class goal that would beat 100% of goalkeepers worldwide.
MAGA!

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #563 on: August 22, 2019, 03:04:12 PM »
It's  a beautiful thing that so many are choosing to protect Sam Johnstone
It's all about opinions and they are welcome to theirs..

It is interesting though that now there is that one thing to hold on too (apparently 10000% of all keepers ever wouldn't have saved last nights goal) that anybody who dares have criticism should be silenced and should not post on social because he goes on there

To be absolutely clear, I do not seek any scapegoat,I am not comparing to Foster, I want my club/team to be successful, I am aware that others in the squad are not perfect eitherr, and I could not give a rats that he played for the b6 bin dippers (so did SKP❤️).but just because people would prefer not to here any negatives does not mean the negatives are not there
He does not command his area
He is usually stuck to his line
There have been many times when his defenders have roasted him for not coming to collect
We never look like keeping a clean sheet
His percentage of goals conceded from range is far too high

Yet when you mention any of these you would think you have threatened him with violence or something the way some come back

Does anybody think this keeper is the best option we could achieve?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #564 on: August 22, 2019, 03:22:02 PM »
It's  a beautiful thing that so many are choosing to protect Sam Johnstone
It's all about opinions and they are welcome to theirs..

It is interesting though that now there is that one thing to hold on too (apparently 10000% of all keepers ever wouldn't have saved last nights goal) that anybody who dares have criticism should be silenced and should not post on social because he goes on there

To be absolutely clear, I do not seek any scapegoat,I am not comparing to Foster, I want my club/team to be successful, I am aware that others in the squad are not perfect eitherr, and I could not give a rats that he played for the b6 bin dippers (so did SKP❤️).but just because people would prefer not to here any negatives does not mean the negatives are not there
He does not command his area
He is usually stuck to his line
There have been many times when his defenders have roasted him for not coming to collect
We never look like keeping a clean sheet
His percentage of goals conceded from range is far too high

Yet when you mention any of these you would think you have threatened him with violence or something the way some come back

Does anybody think this keeper is the best option we could achieve?

Seeing as you seem to be having a pop at me......

I agree with you in respect of the highlighted points. However, last night he was not at fault. We can throttle down on the 10000% you quote to 99.9% of keepers worldwide - had a keeper been in the unnatural position of a yard from his right post then yes, he would have had a chance, but he would probably be criticised for not commanding his line.......

Finally I think that there are better keepers out there, no issue with that. However, we have Sam Johnstone, and it seems to me that most think that every single goal we concede is his fault................ever so occasionally we get undone by a piece of class like last night.

But as you say, its all down to opinions.......
MAGA!

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #565 on: August 22, 2019, 04:00:23 PM »
A lot of shots go through him (forest game) and seldom does he come for crosses regardless how close they are to him or even if they are loopy (milwall)

The most annoying thing is many times he just stands and watches the ball hit the net, some goals last night it could be argued many would not save but if you don't even attempt to save it then you won't save it. Foster saved shots he had no right to save and did so because he made his dive and tried to. Goalies like all other positions will get some luck- some of the unstoppable things they may stop the same as the striker gets the lucky deflection for an outrageous effort.

I have no confidence in the bloke if the opposition have an effort from outside the box. Haven't seen enough to tell me he's any better than bond. Clean sheets can turn 1 to 3 points and that might be what sends us up. As not sure we will score anywhere near as many goals this year
O Albion we love you

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #566 on: August 22, 2019, 04:11:22 PM »
I do think that football fans, in general, will, begrudgingly, give credit to a player they are not keen on, when he does do well, but they continue to monitor every minor detail of his game to find fault.

I really don't have any issue with that approach but would hope they are fair minded enough to apply the same standards to their favourites.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #567 on: August 22, 2019, 04:34:42 PM »

I agree with you in respect of the highlighted points. However, last night he was not at fault. We can throttle down on the 10000% you quote to 99.9% of keepers worldwide - had a keeper been in the unnatural position of a yard from his right post then yes, he would have had a chance, but he would probably be criticised for not commanding his line.......

Finally I think that there are better keepers out there, no issue with that. However, we have Sam Johnstone, and it seems to me that most think that every single goal we concede is his fault................ever so occasionally we get undone by a piece of class like last night.

Don't think anyone has blamed  Johnstone for last night's goal. Most agree that Sawyers (a fan's favourite) Phillips (a fan's favourite) and Livermore were more to blame, although a still on another thread seems to exonerate Livermore, which, considering he is far from a fan's favourite, seems pretty well balanced.
My problem with Johnstone is his lack of reaction. He doesn't even attempt to save it. Yes it was well hit but at least have a go. It happens all too often with shots from outside the box, he just doesn't react. Same with corners, he's just too static for me.
He's been pretty much the only constant in our back 5 over the last two seasons, defenders and coaches have changed yet the issues are still the same, with him as the common denominator.
For what it's worth, I think he was ok last night and his distribution has improved dramatically but he needs to be more alive to what's going on around him and control his area. It's always been said that goalies have to be a bit crazy, perhaps he's just too normal!!

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #568 on: August 22, 2019, 04:45:49 PM »
I'm not a fan of Johnstones yet when some of our fans say he had nothing to do tonight and he still let a goal in it makes me cringe.
 I doubt many keepers would have saved that deflected shot through a crowd of players but eh he should have saved it he had nothing else to do all night, give me strength.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #569 on: August 22, 2019, 04:52:37 PM »
I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan either, but I thought he was good last night.

He pulled of a couple of good saves, he came out to collect things, and it was generally a step in the right direction.

Hopefully he's feeling a bit more settled and can build on it.

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #570 on: August 22, 2019, 05:00:50 PM »
Appearances 52
Conceded 65
Discuss

The Rainbow Stand by any chance...?  ::)

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #571 on: August 22, 2019, 07:57:00 PM »
The Rainbow Stand by any chance...?  ::)

I see Sam is giving some grief back to whoever that is.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #572 on: August 22, 2019, 08:15:00 PM »

Much prefer him to concentrate on improving than biting back at the fans.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #573 on: August 22, 2019, 08:21:54 PM »

Wasn't meaning it nasty, but 100% I'd doubt
He didn't even move....now in isolation most keepers wouldn't get stick for that one goal, but after forest and a failure to keep clean sheets and being beat often from distance ...it starts to mount up
Like I keep saying, I don't rate him, he's not good enough generally IMO
But what I really don't get is the people on social who are mentioning these "vicious attacks" on poor Sam .....it's not vicious it's people saying he doesn't come of his line
There's also the ones that state "he made a great save"....it's his job

I will keep saying
He doesn't get us clean sheets ....fulham and Leeds will pull away if we don't resolve
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #574 on: August 22, 2019, 08:22:36 PM »

Sam Johnstone Twitter Account
Should save everything according to some ppl 😴 always positive 🙌🏼

I hardly think the above could conceivably be classed as “giving grief back”
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.