Author Topic: Harvey Barnes (recalled to Leicester)  (Read 164402 times)

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

Re: Harvey Barnes Joins Albion on Loan
« Reply #150 on: September 02, 2018, 10:40:08 AM »
This guy will play for England, absolutely brilliant. If we go up we have a chance of signing him, if not then no chance. Can’t believe Leicester signed Maddison for 25 mill when they’ve got Barnes on their books!

It's difficult to know how good he can be whist he is still playing in this division, and there is no way Leicester will consider selling him.  What I do know is that I've seen fewer sites more exciting at the Baggies than Harvey Barnes turning on the half way and running full tilt at defenders.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #151 on: September 02, 2018, 11:41:22 AM »
But if we were promoted?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #152 on: September 02, 2018, 11:47:14 AM »
Lets worry about it at the end of the season no point fretting about things we can't affect at the moment. For now he's ours lets just enjoy the ride.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #153 on: September 02, 2018, 11:58:42 AM »
Believe it or not he's not that highly rated by City ST holders I know , had games and not really shown enough at this point they tell me . Well behind others in the wide positions .  ::)
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

kie the baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #154 on: September 02, 2018, 01:02:14 PM »
the 15 mill that we were to spend on bojan or dack, I would throw at barnes

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #155 on: September 02, 2018, 01:27:12 PM »
the 15 mill that we were to spend on bojan or dack, I would throw at barnes
Agreed but to stand even a slim chance of retaining him on a permanent we first need to get back in the prem

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #156 on: September 02, 2018, 01:31:23 PM »
Believe it or not he's not that highly rated by City ST holders I know , had games and not really shown enough at this point they tell me . Well behind others in the wide positions .  ::)

Its why I retain some hope of Leicester making some sort of giant ball drop and sell him to us.

Leicester have lost Mahraz and have still decided to let Barnes go putting more faith in Gray etc.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #157 on: September 02, 2018, 01:48:55 PM »
I don’t think a player has excited more since Koumas, but it’s a big step up and plenty don’t make it. Dorran’s is a good example. So is Philllips to a degree, who looks great at this level but is very inconsistent in the premiership and is managed by better defenders.  To do what Barnes does in the top division you need to be so much better than you do in the championship, and if he can do it at that level he’s a £40m player.

We should offer £15m for Barnes in a heartbeat. Will get better and better and with the market always increasing it wouldn’t be a risk even if his level was top end of the championship.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #158 on: September 02, 2018, 02:48:08 PM »
He suits our style. Simples !

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #159 on: September 02, 2018, 06:29:19 PM »
He's been like a breath of fresh air so far. Not been so excited every time I see a player on the ball since Koumas was running the show here. I do have my doubts about how he would perform at the top level against much better opposition but I don't really care about that just the here and now. Highly unlikely Leicester will want to be losing him so just enjoy his performances while he's here.

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #160 on: September 02, 2018, 10:13:28 PM »
Can Leicester recall him in January ?

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #161 on: September 03, 2018, 07:33:12 PM »
Can Leicester recall him in January ?

Says season long loan on the official site so I doubt they can.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #162 on: September 04, 2018, 08:18:44 AM »
I'd be surprised if Barnes does have a recall clause. They did that last year when he was at Barnsley then didn't use him. It's more likely we have him for 12 months and our loan fee will be a substantial one.

Barnes is unlucky not to be involved in the under 21's this time around. In the end, the wealth of attacking options we have behind the striker has blocked him, with Gray, Lookman, Sessegnon, Mount and Maddison all options on the wing and behind a striker. I think he should be ahead of Kieran Dowell though, with him being an unused sub for Everton so far this season.
Boing Boing

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #163 on: September 04, 2018, 09:05:48 AM »
The difference between the Premier league and the Championship is huge.
Gayle is the best striker at this level but Newcastle think Rondon is better in the Premier. As said our immediate aim must be to get back up, and then assess our squad.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #164 on: September 04, 2018, 10:02:56 AM »
The difference between the Premier league and the Championship is huge.
Gayle is the best striker at this level but Newcastle think Rondon is better in the Premier. As said our immediate aim must be to get back up, and then assess our squad.

Yet if you ask majority of our fans, we would probably believe we may still be in the premier league if we had Gayle last season.

Barnes is a real talent, I think the fact Leicester have tied him down to a big contract before loaning him out means he wont be leaving anytime soon (unless of course we got promoted and Harvey kicked up a fuss to leave).

Leicester have some exciting attacking options, Gray, Barnes, Maddison all at a young age.

Just enjoy him whilst we have him.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #165 on: September 04, 2018, 11:07:29 AM »

Yes, the lad is rubbish... tell you what, we will take him off your hands if we must.......:)
MAGA!

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #166 on: September 04, 2018, 01:05:37 PM »
Fully agree that he is one of the most exciting players seen at our place in many a year and the Koumas comparisons are interesting.

I believe Leicester have dropped a brick in letting us have him, even temporarily. I see that Albrighton still makes their first team for example. I know which one I would rather pick! We are only seeing him in the championship of course but I see no reason why he will not become a major force at premier level within 2 years or so.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #167 on: September 04, 2018, 01:11:49 PM »
Fully agree that he is one of the most exciting players seen at our place in many a year and the Koumas comparisons are interesting.

I believe Leicester have dropped a brick in letting us have him, even temporarily. I see that Albrighton still makes their first team for example. I know which one I would rather pick! We are only seeing him in the championship of course but I see no reason why he will not become a major force at premier level within 2 years or so.

Barnes is better than Albrighton 7 days a week, no doubt whatsoever in my mind. IF he goes back to Leicester Barnes will be in their first team next season. It's just that youth thing again, clubs are far too unwilling to blood them. Look at Spurs if Sherwood hadn't gone out on a limb with Harry Kane he'd have probably faded away. 90% of head coaches wouldn't have taken the chance that Sherwood did.

We're in the same position with Sam Field.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #168 on: September 04, 2018, 01:12:11 PM »

The second piece of bold text explains the first perhaps?

As in they don't think he's ready yet, be that for their first team or when he's developed his game enough to attract top dollar.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #169 on: September 06, 2018, 05:08:06 PM »

Barnes is better than Albrighton 7 days a week, no doubt whatsoever in my mind. IF he goes back to Leicester Barnes will be in their first team next season. It's just that youth thing again, clubs are far too unwilling to blood them. Look at Spurs if Sherwood hadn't gone out on a limb with Harry Kane he'd have probably faded away. 90% of head coaches wouldn't have taken the chance that Sherwood did.

Except Sam Field is nowhere near the prospect Harry Kane was at the same age
I really don't get the Sam Field hype
Yes he's  a decent kid, but if he played for anyone else, would anybody seriously be clammerring to sign him?
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #170 on: September 07, 2018, 08:11:49 AM »

It's easy to say players are great in the Championship, the reality is that the Premier League is a different beast in terms of defending. Off the top of my head, Dorrans, Koumas, Kightly, Kamara, Taraabt et al all looked like stars in the Championship but were very ordinary in the Premier League.
Sometimes it just doesn't work - until Barnes has done it in the Premier League, then we can judge.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #171 on: September 07, 2018, 10:01:54 AM »
Except Sam Field is nowhere near the prospect Harry Kane was at the same age
I really don't get the Sam Field hype
Yes he's  a decent kid, but if he played for anyone else, would anybody seriously be clammerring to sign him?
Sorry to say but i have to agree. I've been as keen as anyone to see Sam in the starting line up but I think it's time to accept that he just isn't all that. 3 managers have now overlooked him, in favour of various other options, and, as incompetent as 2 of them were, they can't all be missing the same thing.
Barnes is proof that, if you are good enough, Darren will pick you regardless of age, so it tells me that he is head and shoulders above our kids.
It's very romantic to think of homegrown kids coming through but it's rare even at this lower level. That being said, I still think the likes of Field, Burke, Harper, Edwards and Leko have a part to play in what will be a very long season and, when they get the chance, through injuries / suspensions, it is up to them to throw their cock and balls at it and make it impossible to drop them.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #172 on: September 07, 2018, 10:29:56 AM »
Can Leicester recall him in January?

If the report linked below is anything to go by then there is an option for them to do so.

"Barnes has got a strong support network around him in his father and well-respected representatives.You’d hope for Albion’s sake that they would see sense to stay at The Hawthorns for the remainder of the season, even if Leicester considered activating the option they have to recall him in January".

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-bromwich-albion-harvey-barnes-15120996

He was on a supposed season long loan while at Barnsley........

https://www.lcfc.com/news/448063/barnes-joins-barnsley-in-seasonlong-loan/press-release

........ but it didn't stop Leicester recalling him in January.......

https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2018/january/barnes-leicester/

........ even though he barely featured for them on his return, amassing two FA Cup appearances......

https://www.transfermarkt.com/harvey-barnes/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/398065/plus/0/saison/2017/wettbewerb/FAC/verein/1003

and a further eight minutes in the Prem'......

https://www.transfermarkt.com/harvey-barnes/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/398065/plus/0/saison/2017/wettbewerb/GB1/verein/1003
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #173 on: September 07, 2018, 10:54:20 AM »
If the report linked below is anything to go by then there is an option for them to do so.

"Barnes has got a strong support network around him in his father and well-respected representatives.You’d hope for Albion’s sake that they would see sense to stay at The Hawthorns for the remainder of the season, even if Leicester considered activating the option they have to recall him in January".

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-bromwich-albion-harvey-barnes-15120996

He was on a supposed season long loan while at Barnsley........

https://www.lcfc.com/news/448063/barnes-joins-barnsley-in-seasonlong-loan/press-release

........ but it didn't stop Leicester recalling him in January.......

https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2018/january/barnes-leicester/

........ even though he barely featured for them on his return, amassing two FA Cup appearances......

https://www.transfermarkt.com/harvey-barnes/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/398065/plus/0/saison/2017/wettbewerb/FAC/verein/1003

and a further eight minutes in the Prem'......

https://www.transfermarkt.com/harvey-barnes/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/398065/plus/0/saison/2017/wettbewerb/GB1/verein/1003

Matt Wison reported the same interview & there's no mention of a recall clause in his article.

Paul Stuart is normally accurate in the Evening Mail, but comments from the rest, I tend to take with a pinch of salt.

Certainly from the Matt Wilson's article, HB sees his future at Leicester, so I think we will have to make the most of him while he's here.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #174 on: September 07, 2018, 01:19:52 PM »
It's easy to say players are great in the Championship, the reality is that the Premier League is a different beast in terms of defending. Off the top of my head, Dorrans, Koumas, Kightly, Kamara, Taraabt et al all looked like stars in the Championship but were very ordinary in the Premier League.
Sometimes it just doesn't work - until Barnes has done it in the Premier League, then we can judge.

Aside from Koumas I agree. Easily good enough just lacked application. The others were found wanting technically and or physically.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.