Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread - Games resuming 20 June - CLUB RELATED ONLY  (Read 265251 times)

Brummie Road

• Youth Baggie

As anyone considered that football in its current guise may not return ever?

I'm sure football will return but I do think, when we do get the all clear, a lot more realism needs to be in place, primarily in terms of clubs, particularly in the Prem and Championship, players and worthless hanger on agents, having to be a lot more realistic in terms of wage demands and the level of overall turnover being directed towards salaries and signing on fees.

The football industry has had one hell of a shock and as times goes on, the likelihood of the season being voided grows.

I know it's not what we want and I'm hoping that somehow we can finish the season but there's going to be millions facing financial uncertainty and the longer this goes on the less importance will be placed on finishing the season and more focus towards when we can start afresh, both in our personal and working lives as well as the football. 

My guess is that after several months away from The Hawthorns, for many of us it will simply be a relief to get back into the stadium regardless of which league we're in.

All guess work and speculation obviously, and I hope that somehow we can all get back to normal in a few weeks, finish off the season and, hopefully, nail an automatic promotion place but deep down I suspect that's an incredibly optimistic hope.     

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

I'm sure football will return but I do think, when we do get the all clear, a lot more realism needs to be in place, primarily in terms of clubs, particularly in the Prem and Championship, players and worthless hanger on agents, having to be a lot more realistic in terms of wage demands and the level of overall turnover being directed towards salaries and signing on fees.

The football industry has had one hell of a shock and as times goes on, the likelihood of the season being voided grows.

I know it's not what we want and I'm hoping that somehow we can finish the season but there's going to be millions facing financial uncertainty and the longer this goes on the less importance will be placed on finishing the season and more focus towards when we can start afresh, both in our personal and working lives as well as the football. 

My guess is that after several months away from The Hawthorns, for many of us it will simply be a relief to get back into the stadium regardless of which league we're in.

All guess work and speculation obviously, and I hope that somehow we can all get back to normal in a few weeks, finish off the season and, hopefully, nail an automatic promotion place but deep down I suspect that's an incredibly optimistic hope.   

Great perspective.

This virus isn't going to go away. We might stifle it for a while but it will keep coming back just like any other virus. Until we find a vaccine the threat will be there all the time. Herd immunity could be the long term answer but that would mean many many deaths before we could get to that point.

Football, and everything else in the world pretty much, is going to have to evolve. If somehow it does some lasting damage to our greed league culture that could only be a good thing.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

Well I can tell you of one lifelong Baggie who's fallen victim to Covid 19....my cousin died in Russells Hall Hospital yesterday...61, same age as me. RIP Chris.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 02:12:47 PM by miggybaggy »

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Sorry to hear that Miggy, my condolences.

My friends older brother died of it on Thursday, he was 46 but he had underlying health issues as well. I didn't actually know his older brother but it sure brings it home. Be safe everyone.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

Well I can tell you of one lifelong Baggie who's fallen victim to Covid 19....my cousin died in Russells Hall Hospital yesterday...61, same age as me. RIP Chris.
Thoughts with you and his family
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

Thoughts & condolences for all members of the Albion Family who have suffered as a result of this awful virus.

Going back to Z & B's comment about the "guise" of football when the pandemic is over.

IMO the global economy will be ripped to shreds, so it's difficult to predict what will happen, but if the economy is stalled for a sustained length of time, the world, post pandemic, is likely to be unrecognisable.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Sorry to hear that Gazberg and Miggybaggy.

These are sad times. Hope everybody connected is ok.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

IMO the global economy will be ripped to shreds, so it's difficult to predict what will happen, but if the economy is stalled for a sustained length of time, the world, post pandemic, is likely to be unrecognisable.

I think this too. My wife is being called back to the NHS and I can tell you those ITK are very worried to say the least.

Still really drunk off by the panic buyers and the people still meeting up, unbelievable.

My heartfelt condolences to Gazberg and Miggybaggy and to anyone who has lost someone in the course of this; sadly I think it's going to hit us all in some way.

Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

so sorry to hear that news lads, my thoughts are with you all and your families.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

Sorry to hear the sad news Gazberg and Miggybaggy.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

For the first time I am actually starting to not care if they finish the season or not.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

For the first time I am actually starting to not care if they finish the season or not.
Rob, I am almost the same. blaise.

Baggy nerd

• Youth Baggie

I think we are many months off crowds being allowed to watch sporting events and that would only leave the option of finishing the season behind closed doors. Then you have the problem that a club could be struck down at any stage and have to stop playing again. Putting the clubs into quarantine over a period has been mentioned, but is this really possible?
Whatever happens, sport is going to be in a mess for the foreseeable future. At least voiding the season would put an end to a bit of the uncertainty but would lead to so many injustices. Would the likes of Norwich get the TV money again? Teams would play in Europe again without meriting it. No title for Liverpool when it looked a certainty.

Topman

• Youth Baggie

I would be open to staying in the championship for another year if there was an attractive financial package available given where we are currently in the league in form of some type of compensation. But I doubt that will happen.

As other posters have said, for the first time I actually am getting to the stage now where I actually don’t care. There are bigger issues than football at the min and we just need maybe to accept that it

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

Until a vaccine is developed or herd immunity to Corvid19 there will be no group sport being played worldwide. Yes, the virus will diminish with the lock-downs we are now going through but will surely reappear with  avengence when restrictions are lifted.

To develop a vaccine will take a year and to inoculate the population of the entire planet will take at least another year so those who think we will be watching sport in the summer are living in cloud cuckoo land!

It wouldn’t surprise me if there was no ‘crowd’ involved sport until 2022/23.

:(

West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

Question if this season is voided where does that leave us as fans, as essentially we have paid for a product that never was??

You could use the small claims court if they void the league and take the epl through these courts, if thousands did this I doubt the epl could cope
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

I think we are many months off crowds being allowed to watch sporting events and that would only leave the option of finishing the season behind closed doors. Then you have the problem that a club could be struck down at any stage and have to stop playing again. Putting the clubs into quarantine over a period has been mentioned, but is this really possible?
Whatever happens, sport is going to be in a mess for the foreseeable future. At least voiding the season would put an end to a bit of the uncertainty but would lead to so many injustices. Would the likes of Norwich get the TV money again? Teams would play in Europe again without meriting it. No title for Liverpool when it looked a certainty.

As the situation develops, it's becoming more clear that this virus will also have an impact on next season.
Football clubs, including our own, have made significant investments this season, & IMO the season should be allowed to finish.

If we have to sacrifice a season, then it should be next, when every club has re-set to zero.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Until a vaccine is developed or herd immunity to Corvid19 there will be no group sport being played worldwide. Yes, the virus will diminish with the lock-downs we are now going through but will surely reappear with  avengence when restrictions are lifted.

To develop a vaccine will take a year and to inoculate the population of the entire planet will take at least another year so those who think we will be watching sport in the summer are living in cloud cuckoo land!

It wouldn’t surprise me if there was no ‘crowd’ involved sport until 2022/23.

:(

There was an interesting report on the 1918 Flu Pandemic that I saw yesterday sadly I've not kept the link.

It is true there will be a second wave but only if restrictions are lifted too soon. One US city got to the peak and then only 8 days later held a public rally or celebrstion with a quarter of a million people. This city had a strong second wave and sadly for its citizens the highest death rate of any city.

Those that didn't partake in such stupidity saw a steady and gradual decline with no real 2nd wave. Those cities waited a few weeks from the peak, not 8 days and no intensive gatherings of people.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 12:01:57 PM by gazberg »

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

There was an interesting report on the 1918 Flu Pandemic that I saw yesterday sadly I've not kept the link.

It is true there will be a second wave but only if restrictions are lifted too soon. One US city got to the peak and then only 8 days later held a public rally or celebrstion with a quarter of a million people. This city had a strong second wave and sadly for its citizens the highest death rate of any city.

Those that didn't partake in such stupidity saw a steady and gradual decline with no real 2nd wave. Those cities waited a few weeks from the peak, not 8 days and no intensive gatherings of peoe.

I think we need to be careful making comparisons to the 1918 epidemic, as I understand it, a large proportion of victims were soldiers returning from the trenches having suffered lung damage from mustard gas.

As far as the covid19 epidemic is concerned, from the stats available at the moment, around 10% of those tested have the virus, what we don't know is how many of the 90% have had it & not known or recovered.
If the majority of the 90% are immuned, then a second wave might be insignificant, on the other hand.....................

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Agreed but the way a virus moves and spreads is fairly 'standard'. I think that is what todays 'flattening the curve' actions are based upon is all i am saying.

Found the link.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/2020/03/how-cities-flattened-curve-1918-spanish-flu-pandemic-coronavirus/

Standaman

• WBA Coach

An update from England's deputy chief medical officer Dr Jenny Harries says forms of lockdown/distancing measures could be in place around for 6 months - reviewed every 3 weeks. That is end of September.

I do not wish to be unduly pessimistic but it is difficult to see all the clubs coming through this.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

Personally I honestly do not give a **** if the "sport" survives. Just looking on social media and they players all me me. I have had it with football. I hope you are all stayin safe.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 10:19:31 AM by Hull Baggie »
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

An update from England's deputy chief medical officer Dr Jenny Harries says forms of lockdown/distancing measures could be in place around for 6 months - reviewed every 3 weeks. That is end of September.

I do not wish to be unduly pessimistic but it is difficult to see all the clubs coming through this.

TBH Stan, it's difficult to see a number of small businesses surviving. Most we're built on enthusiasm (especially service businesses like restaurants, hairdressers etc), when you've had a kick in the goulies, it's really hard to do it again.
As others have said in this topic, the UK, post covid19 is likely to be unrecognisable.

Baggy nerd

• Youth Baggie

Ilkay Gundogan saying it is fair to award Liverpool the title. Very sporting but if you give them the title you also have to relegate and promote teams. I know it wont happen, but how would our fans feel if we didn't finish the season but were still promoted?

Standaman

• WBA Coach

TBH Stan, it's difficult to see a number of small businesses surviving. Most we're built on enthusiasm (especially service businesses like restaurants, hairdressers etc), when you've had a kick in the goulies, it's really hard to do it again.
As others have said in this topic, the UK, post covid19 is likely to be unrecognisable.

Absolutely as I have said sport is at best the most important thing of the unimportant things in life. Yet there will come a point when we will return to "normal" and in general people will want to return to a life familiar from before the pandemic and sport is very much part of what normal means. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.