15 (21.4%)
Top half (6th-12th)
1 (1.4%)
Bottom half (13th-21st)
0 (0%)
Relegation
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Final League Position?  (Read 14147 times)

Webby

• Senior Baggie

Final League Position?
« on: January 23, 2020, 10:09:06 AM »
Aware this could change vastly depending on a good performance or not but if you had to give 1 prediction on final league position what would you say?

After our abysmal run topped by Stoke I did a little lay on Betfair saying we wont finish top 6. £20 gets me £300 back. But surely that wont happen!?

Going for 5th.
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

Re: Final League Position?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 10:20:53 AM »
If we can see this dip through and with a few additions to the squad I'd still expect us to be top 2
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 10:22:40 AM »
i will go 4th, just getting over the playoff line. more anguish at the end of the season
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 12:35:46 PM by WBAinDEVON »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 10:28:56 AM »
Still confident of 1st, a lot of dross in this div, we have enough "quality" smattered through the squad to see us through
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 10:29:31 AM »
The only thing that everyone can be sure of is we wont be relegated. ;)
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 10:38:41 AM »
Massively depends on if we get a couple in, in my opinion.

If we make zero signings I can't see how the downturn in form will be rectified, and I'd struggle to see us keep our playoff spot, I'd go with 8th.

With the right signings, 1st/2nd.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 10:39:54 AM »
Best 1st
Worst 5th

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 10:45:36 AM »
I'll be disappointed if we don't finish top two, as others have said, we do have a quality squad.

We've been really unfortunate with injuries this season, far more than last.

It's the business point of the season, teams are scrapping to avoid relegation, we're going to see more games like the Stoke one, especially at home.
I think we've got the determination to get there this time, but IMO, it will go down to the wire.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 10:54:16 AM »
I would say 4th. Which to be honest given where we were a month ago, is a disaster.

If Bilic doesnt get us promoted this season (by the play offs if necessary), I honestly dont think his career here will recover from it.

Powelly

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 11:02:06 AM »
Top 2.
We haven't won in 6 games now, and it is going to realistically take teams another 3 without a win to overtake us.
This purple patch will end soon and other teams will go through one.
We'll be fine, just ride the rollercoaster!

tucka9

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 11:09:23 AM »
Hoping this is just a bad patch and we come out of it fairly soon, then I can’t see anything other than top 2, teams in this league are far too inconsistent. We have taken 4 points in 6 games and still 4 points clear of Fulham in 3rd with a game in hand over them.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 11:18:30 AM »
Win the league. Confident. No idea why so many are panicking.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 11:37:44 AM »
I would say 4th. Which to be honest given where we were a month ago, is a disaster.

If Bilic doesnt get us promoted this season (by the play offs if necessary), I honestly dont think his career here will recover from it.

I'm not sure how you arrive at that conclusion, when Bilic came here, it was a two year project. If he gets us up this season, he will have over achieved.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2020, 11:48:13 AM »
If he doesn't get us up this year though i can't see how next year is going to be any better with a massive drop in our income.

I would expect the best players to be sold not added too. Hopefully i'm wrong.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2020, 11:53:00 AM »
I'm not sure how you arrive at that conclusion, when Bilic came here, it was a two year project. If he gets us up this season, he will have over achieved.

Things change. Going in to the second half of the season he had a 14 point lead.

If we were to finish in the play offs and not win them, our form over the second half of the season will probably have us around mid table. So that is a very average period, or worse. Our belt then has to be tightened further as parachute money is chopped again and our only real salable asset is Pereira.  The monkey / shadow, whatever you want to call it, of one of the worst capitulations ever then surrounds Bilic. Fan moral is hammered. Questions about his inability to halt a slide are everywhere. Three more ex premiership sides desperate to get back up are with us.

It might sound pessimistic and like a merchant of doom and I am really not generally, but it will take something incredible to over come messing this up. To some extent he may have made a rod for his own back by the points he got on the board, but that is his reality now.

Also - the two year project was propaganda in the first place. The aim this year was promotion, no doubt about it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 11:55:48 AM by johnny Cash »

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2020, 12:13:54 PM »
Things change. Going in to the second half of the season he had a 14 point lead.

If we were to finish in the play offs and not win them, our form over the second half of the season will probably have us around mid table. So that is a very average period, or worse. Our belt then has to be tightened further as parachute money is chopped again and our only real salable asset is Pereira.  The monkey / shadow, whatever you want to call it, of one of the worst capitulations ever then surrounds Bilic. Fan moral is hammered. Questions about his inability to halt a slide are everywhere. Three more ex premiership sides desperate to get back up are with us.

It might sound pessimistic and like a merchant of doom and I am really not generally, but it will take something incredible to over come messing this up. To some extent he may have made a rod for his own back by the points he got on the board, but that is his reality now.

Also - the two year project was propaganda in the first place. The aim this year was promotion, no doubt about it.
Surely the reality now is we still have a 4 point lead and a game in hand over 3rd place, and we have lost 3 games all season. We are having our first blip (2 defeats and 5 draws) and its all doom and gloom, if we win our next 2 which we are more than capable of things become rosier again, people seem way to quick to jump on the doom and gloom bandwagon even though we are still top of the league (which is both fact and reality all in one). Anyway I diverse.... still top 2 for me!
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2020, 01:05:35 PM »
Top two for me. We will recover from this blip.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2020, 01:49:12 PM »
Top 2 for me too.  We've hit a dodgy patch of form and it has coincided with losing key players.  Next few weeks will be rough but we'll be fine.

Especially if the board pull their finger out.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2020, 02:01:20 PM »
Outside of top 6. This situation is looking very Alan Pardew in the defence department.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2020, 02:04:43 PM »
To be honest we need new blood so if we get new players in top 2, if we don't playoffs.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2020, 02:50:06 PM »
We will win the league

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2020, 02:51:34 PM »
I think we will scrape 2nd place by a hairs breath

chonobaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2020, 03:00:01 PM »
4th. I hope I’m wrong.
Im the cat that walks by himself....and all places are alike to me

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2020, 03:17:28 PM »
Surely the reality now is we still have a 4 point lead and a game in hand over 3rd place, and we have lost 3 games all season. We are having our first blip (2 defeats and 5 draws) and its all doom and gloom, if we win our next 2 which we are more than capable of things become rosier again, people seem way to quick to jump on the doom and gloom bandwagon even though we are still top of the league (which is both fact and reality all in one). Anyway I diverse.... still top 2 for me!

True, although I think the capitulation will be far more prominent and will be overwhelming should it materialise. 

It is hypothetical at the moment and we still have a great chance of making it a good season, but he has to turn it around now.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2020, 03:30:05 PM »
I think we'll finish in the top 2. I'll say Champions.
For purely selfish reasons I hope we don't end up in the play offs as I'm in Copenhagen with work from 10th-17th May!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill