Author Topic: Confession  (Read 3041 times)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

Confession
« on: February 08, 2019, 11:58:59 AM »
I have a bit of a confession to make folks.

To be clear; In 40 odd years of watching Albion, I have never wanted us to lose a game.

On Wednesday, however, I was not as "committed" as usual, the reason being, due to a massive oversight on my part, I arranged my wedding for Cup Final day!! Needless to say, I was slightly relieved that I no longer had a decision to make, come May 18th. (My idea of a "Skype" wedding didn't go well, nor did changing the venue to Wembley registry office) ::)

Anybody got any tales of awkward conflicts of interest caused by our beloved Baggies?

Thought it might lighten the mood for a Friday but, if it's in the wrong place, Mods, please move.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

Re: Confession
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 12:47:57 PM »
Back in the 90s we were away to Coventry City in the third round of the cup. My best mate at the time made the massive mistake of arranging his wedding for that date. Fortunately it was at Brum Registry Office about mid day, so I was able to rush away from the ceremony as soon as they had got hitched and get to the match, strangely my mate was not allowed to go by his new wife, not surprised they never lasted.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 12:53:04 PM »
Our first home game in my second season as a season ticket holder was a game against Sheffield United. I really wanted to go, but I was a teenager dragged on a family holiday by my Mom.

We won 4-1, and I still bring it up to this day.

smethwick2

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 01:18:04 PM »
I was dragged up to Buxton for the final game of the season a few years ago when Sir Alex managed his last game against us and was a 5-5 draw. Biggest regret of my life

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 01:58:42 PM »

To be clear; In 40 odd years of watching Albion, I have never wanted us to lose a game.

On Wednesday, however, I was not as "committed" as usual, the reason being, due to a massive oversight on my part, I arranged my wedding for Cup Final day!! Needless to say, I was slightly relieved that I no longer had a decision to make, come May 18th. (My idea of a "Skype" wedding didn't go well, nor did changing the venue to Wembley registry office) ::)

Anybody got any tales of awkward conflicts of interest caused by our beloved Baggies?

Thought it might lighten the mood for a Friday but, if it's in the wrong place, Mods, please move.
Loads! Weddings, Mother's day Christenings missing meeting my Daughters in laws for the first time she wasn't happy, but we where playing the Dingles on that day!  Birthdays as I said loads! Albion always came first. I've mellowed a bit now, only a bit though.

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 02:35:54 PM »
I have cut short holidays planned by family for play-offs in the past, and will be doing eactly the same this year! I am due to fly back on play-off final date, however if we get there, i will be leaving my partner and daughter in Menorca and flying home a day earlier.

Is that wrong? As thats what she says, and i havent had chance to discuss again with her. we havent spoke for 3 weeks now.

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 03:38:44 PM »
I was dragged up to Buxton for the final game of the season a few years ago when Sir Alex managed his last game against us and was a 5-5 draw. Biggest regret of my life

I was so close to walking out of that game at half time or even before. So disgusted was I with the performance. Thankfully didn't follow through on it but was certainly closest I ever came to leaving early.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 05:42:59 PM »
I have cut short holidays planned by family for play-offs in the past, and will be doing eactly the same this year! I am due to fly back on play-off final date, however if we get there, i will be leaving my partner and daughter in Menorca and flying home a day earlier.

Is that wrong? As thats what she says, and i havent had chance to discuss again with her. we havent spoke for 3 weeks now.
Sorry mate, I know that 3 weeks in the dog house is no laughing matter, but your tale of woe made me chuckle. If the shoe was on the other foot and, taking a random example. a work mate had invited her to her wedding on that day and she wanted to fly back a day early, leaving you and your daughter in Menorca for a day without her, would you be ok with it? If you were a reasonable guy, and I have no reason to doubt it, of course you would be. It's not a problem I wouldn't have thought. None of my business I suppose, but you did ask the question, so I'll tell you my opinion. Your missus is massively over reacting and 3 weeks in Coventry is unreasonable in the extreme. With the benefit of hindsight though, you probably shouldn't have mentioned the possibility to her until you knew for sure that we were in the play offs. Note to self - timing is everything.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 05:48:13 PM »

Playing devils advocate and posting tongue in cheek here, but I'm sure you've posted elsewhere that family comes first  ;D  ;) .

For the record I don't think it's wrong for you to abandon your partner and child in a foreign land to attend an Albion game  :P .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 06:11:51 PM »
Playing devils advocate and posting tongue in cheek here, but I'm sure you've posted elsewhere that family comes first  ;D  ;) .

For the record I don't think it's wrong for you to abandon your partner and child in a foreign land to attend an Albion game  :P .

Have I? I don’t remember typing that.

I’m glad you’re in agreement, are you with me to use your opinion as evidence when she takes me to court next week looking for half of the house?

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 07:11:52 PM »
Many moons ago I went out with a girl for a couple of years, she constantly gave me grief about going to the Albion on Saturdays as she knew she wouldn't see me till Sunday, she finally gave me an ultimatum, either her or the Albion...... well, as my username suggests I'm still a STH  ;D ;D
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 07:44:44 PM »
When we reached Wembley for play off final in 1993 I had already booked a family holiday for my wife and I plus two young daughters in Skegness. Couldn’t cancel the holiday so drove to Skeggy on Saturday then got up early on Sunday and headed to Wembley. A great day with a 3-0 win was well worth the short spell spent in the doghouse!
Have also left a 21st birthday lunch early to get to a home game and there have been other occasions too. Why do we do it? :o

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 08:36:47 PM »

25th of September 2010
One of the best days of my life , stood waiting for the now Ex Wife to appear at our wedding ..a voice from the congregation shouts "they've got a second"
From 0-3 at the emirates it's now 2-3.....she comes in....obviously we wait whilst a tense added time is played out, but then the celebrating starts....then the wedding starts

At the reception I enquire at the bar if there are any tv's with sky's match choice on?

20 minutes later there was proper usage of a conference room and more people watching us stuff the backside 😀 Than on the dance floor

I have to say at this point TBF to the EX , she didn't moan, got on with dancing and thought it was quite funny....the separation was all me and I truly wish her nothing but the very best
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:56:39 PM by zippyandbungle »
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 08:52:36 PM »
Many moons ago I went out with a girl for a couple of years, she constantly gave me grief about going to the Albion on Saturdays

Tell me about it. I've had two girlfriends who absolutely hated football so you can imagine the problems that caused.  I'm single now and genuinely happy and there is no way I'd ever get with any woman that was so anti football now.

I've finally learned, my life is MY life, don't like it then bugger off.

Albion till I die!