Author Topic: Fortune - the new Luke Moore / Nathan Ellington?  (Read 36231 times)

Baggie Artist

• Senior Baggie

Re: Fortune - the new Luke Moore / Nathan Ellington?
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 04:51:13 PM »
He was really poor but do the people in the crowd realise getting on his back makes things worse? Really, really annoyed me today.

Fortune is one of the last players to deserve criticism from fans, he works hard and I think he seems to genuinely care about doing well for the club as well.

I'm willing to give the fans an assist for his miss in the second half, well done.

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 04:58:10 PM »
The criticism of Fortune in the stands, on here and on the radio is completely over the top IMO. He didn't have the best of games today but he worked hard, ran the channels very well and generally got into some good positions. His touch and general ability let him down at times but I think he has a very important part to play between now and the end of the season. He certainly wasn't helped by a very poor performance from his striker partner Odemwingie.

Agreed he worked his socks off, but he really isn't match fit having only had 3/4 starts all season, I'm sure he will get sharper and score some important goals for us ;)

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 05:19:41 PM »
Thought he was definitely one of our better players today, probably second best behind Olsson. Those 2 were the only ones who looked up for it at all.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 05:26:36 PM »
Agreed he worked his socks off, but he really isn't match fit having only had 3/4 starts all season, I'm sure he will get sharper and score some important goals for us ;)

Its a good point about his lack of game time to be fair, I thought he worked hard but his sharpness was nowhere near where it should be and we haven't got much time for it to get there. There is no excuse for the amount of times he found himself offside though.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 05:35:34 PM »
You can't compare him with Moore and Ellington,he is'nt a lazy player he works his socks off.He is the only player we have with height upfront,being due to the fact that we failed to sign any of the 29 strikers we were looking at.  :P

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2011, 05:44:22 PM »
Roy's comments on MAF:

"It is unfortunate for him because he did a very good job for the team," he added.

"His target play was excellent, his selfless running, his work off the ball, all the things which don't often get noticed like they should, put him in a very good category.

"What is going to be remembered are the one or two chances he did well to get into position for but didn't put away.

"I would say to him after the game 'I thought you did a good job for the team and be happy with your performance'.

"Yet he is anything but happy because he wants to score goals and he realises the fans will only judge him on goalscoring."

I'm glad Roy's our manager and not some of our fickle fans.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2011, 05:49:11 PM »
So am i KK,we don't have another player to do the role MAF plays.Fact.

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2011, 05:51:40 PM »
So am i KK,we don't have another player to do the role MAF plays.Fact.

me too.

I am astonished by some of the comments about him on here, he actually played well today

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2011, 05:52:01 PM »
Look what Roy did with Zamora, I can see him doing that with Fortune, he likes one of his forwards to have those credentials so that it helps the balance and shape of the team, all some of our fans are obsessed with is pace and trickery

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2011, 05:54:26 PM »
Usually quiet like him and he does generally do a job for the team but he was poor today. To be offside that amount of times is shocking, a couple of them ok, were questionable, but almost everytime he got the ball first half he was offside. His holding up of the ball wasn't as good as it usually is either, which is usually his big strength.

Still he is generally a useful option in the team, and certainly should be around the starting 11. Not sure it'd be wise to play him the next game against Stoke though, playing into their hands really.

aka stairs

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
You can't fault Fortune's work rate but sadly today the end product was missing throughout. If the others could be as committed as him we'll be fine.

Roy seems to be happy with him from the post match reports which suggests he'll be starting next match!

DozzaIsKing

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2011, 06:51:52 PM »
I'm not sure what game many of you were watching but I simply cannot believe some people are saying he was among our best performers. He was absolutely awful! In all honesty, I fail to remember seeing a more frustrating, class-less performance from one of our strikers in recent times. Everything he did failed. He was caught offside hundreds of times, he kept going down like a sack of spuds, he missed more than one decent chance - not just that, he missed the sodding ball - he made dreadful decisions whenever he got the ball, he was outmuscled by players half his size...Don't get me wrong, I'm all for industry and work-rate but what's the point when there's literally no end product? Watching him today almost gave me an aneurysm. Throw Cox in any day - his work rate would have been just as good and he would have been able to make contact with a soft pass 6 yards out.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2011, 07:01:29 PM »
He lacked quality where it mattered today. worked hard (are people being serious when they call him lazy?) and shields the ball but he doesn't threaten the goal enough. The point blank chance that went begging as well as his offsides were frustrating but like others have said, Odemwingie was poorer for the second game running.
Boing Boing

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2011, 07:08:58 PM »
It's all very well to say throw Cox in but he is'nt big enough or strong enough to play the role Fortune does.

It's no good blaming Fortune who tries his best,the real fault is we did'nt sign a quality alternative in January.

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2011, 08:47:25 PM »
How in gods name was he woeful?

He chased, harried, held up and layed off - the bloke sweat blood for us today.
Missed an absolute sitter,kept getting caught offside spent most of his time being bullied by the centre half it's funny how people's perception of a player can differ.

Kelloggs

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2011, 09:41:54 PM »
Ridiculous that Odemwingie is copping the stick, Fortuné was god awful today. Odemwingie created, we had shots - people seem to be forgetting. Today's defeat was PURELY down to awful finishing where Fortuné is the culprit. Even the defense was vastly improved save one mistake.

No excuses, Fortuné was dire. I thought he deserved a place in the team after his Wigan performance, I thought wrong. I like him but if he's going to put in them kindof performances - the performances we're used to seeing from him - then he simply has no place in the team for the meanwhile.

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2011, 09:42:20 PM »
How must he feel? Ran his nuts off and got stick whilst morons like Bednar who dragged the clubs name through the mud was treated like the second coming.

I thing some of our lot would rate a fat 50 year old above messi if the former played up to them.
I only go for the beer.

chris-wba

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2011, 09:53:11 PM »
Thought he was awful. He just isnt playing well for us and he looks so lazy all the time its no wonder the fans get on his back. He obviously didn't play well, he couldnt do anything right today. So frustrating.

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2011, 09:54:23 PM »
Lazy? Lazy?

He was everywhere.
I only go for the beer.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2011, 09:56:16 PM »
Too right Matt, I often wonder what games people are watching, ask the Wolves back four about Fortune and I am sure they would say they had an harder time from Fortune today than our other forward who fans seem to have now put on a pedestal since Bednar has left

Kelloggs

« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2011, 09:59:41 PM »
Too right Matt, I often wonder what games people are watching, ask the Wolves back four about Fortune and I am sure they would say they had an harder time from Fortune today than our other forward who fans seem to have now put on a pedestal since Bednar has left

Actually I looked at the Wolves forum earlier (The-Wolf.co.uk) and in their match sticky before Vela scored they were all saying how well Odemwingie was playing and that they're glad Fortuné was in our team or they'd be down.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2011, 10:03:31 PM »
So the Wolves fans now know more than our manager.....why the hell did we sack RDM

jonny

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2011, 10:47:14 PM »
Watching the highlights and I'm sure people will change their mind!

Ran his socks off as did Pete.

Another day we'd have creamed them!

DozzaIsKing

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2011, 12:03:37 AM »
It's all very well to say throw Cox in but he is'nt big enough or strong enough to play the role Fortune does.

It's no good blaming Fortune who tries his best,the real fault is we did'nt sign a quality alternative in January.

Cox would have stuck that away today, Cox would have worked just as hard if not harder, Cox wouldn't have been caught offside 400 times and hit the deck 500, and Cox would have probably been able to actually pass to a teammate once or twice. I'm not single-handedly blaming Fortune for us not winning today, but literally every time he got the ball he either shot from an impossible or gave it away. Terrible first touch, no speed, awful decision making, selfish and wasteful. Cox deserves a chance after that display, maybe even Bednar. Just because he's a big man doesn't merit a guaranteed starting line-up place. It's the Emile Heskey debate all over again, except I personally think Fortune is worse....(insert vitriolic disagreements here).
But agree, needed another quality striker in Jan.

Cunningham

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2011, 12:08:54 AM »
Lets just be honest eh, Fortune is bloody poor. That doesn't mean he has to get booed every match but saying he is good enough for us  is wrong he isn't. He tries I'll give him that but if he were a sniper I'd stand there all day and let him have pot shots at me you know he ain't going to hit ya.